Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Just lmao at goons hating children. They're fine and all seem to be acting as though characters in their situation would act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Ya'll can use your HBO max subscription to watch Cats now if you want night terrors that Raised by Wolves didn't deliver on.

Is it the butthole cut? Heard that was coming soon to HBO Max

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, I missed something from an earlier episode, that I was reminded of by the mention of 'don't look at the necromancer'. When the adults first landed and went to mother and father's farm and then mother attacked them, one of them (Markus?) was saying "don't look at her" and then didn't look at her and was fine, I think he was the only survivor? Does not looking at her really help at all or was that a coincidence?

Also when she screamed at people, sometimes they exploded and sometimes they were ok. When she was attacked while she was inside the VR machine, she screamed at one of the religious guys and he was fine. Somehow the rapist dude who was standing there (yes... he had that weird mirror thing) was also totally fine from that.

Also, why didn't the rapist's guard android just crush his head when he started acting out? It seems like the only crush head condition the android could trigger, was 'crush head if too far away'.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

redreader posted:

Oh, I missed something from an earlier episode, that I was reminded of by the mention of 'don't look at the necromancer'. When the adults first landed and went to mother and father's farm and then mother attacked them, one of them (Markus?) was saying "don't look at her" and then didn't look at her and was fine, I think he was the only survivor? Does not looking at her really help at all or was that a coincidence?

It helps, Mother also tells Tempest not to look at her when she's defending her from beasts.

quote:

Also when she screamed at people, sometimes they exploded and sometimes they were ok. When she was attacked while she was inside the VR machine, she screamed at one of the religious guys and he was fine. Somehow the rapist dude who was standing there (yes... he had that weird mirror thing) was also totally fine from that.

The mirror thing was supposed to be draining her power, which I took to explain why her screams didn't mist people.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Shaocaholica posted:

Space Cats by Ridley Scott. Also includes milk androids.

Well yeah, that's the secret sequel to Alien where we find out Jonesy had lots of adventures before Aliens

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished watching season 1, that was umm...... i'm so lost ooh god. :stare:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i wonder if the second season will answer questions or they will just keep moving forward with new unexplainable poo poo. honestly i hope it's the latter

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CODChimera posted:

i wonder if the second season will answer questions or they will just keep moving forward with new unexplainable poo poo. honestly i hope it's the latter

I want the space lamprey to talk.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gonz posted:

only if they sound like gandalf and turn out to be the good guys

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CODChimera posted:

only if they sound like gandalf and turn out to be the good guys

They shall be voiced by Michael Shannon and their allignment will be morally ambiguous.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

redreader posted:

Also, why didn't the rapist's guard android just crush his head when he started acting out? It seems like the only crush head condition the android could trigger, was 'crush head if too far away'.

The only crush triggers stated were messing with the helmet, trying to alter the android's programming, and moving the guy away from the android. Plus their leader told him he'd be pardoned if he survived the encounter with Mother, so maybe android took it to heart.

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

First episodes felt promising but it kind of went down the road from there. We’ll see what the second season has to offer.

AeroZ fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 14, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The podcast kinda confirms that this is not an alt-history world. The Mithraics appeared during the 21th century and then started taking over the world with their ancient aliens knowledge. I assume the "Atheists" is what remained of the coalition of the non-batshit insane countries that opposed them.

Don't know how to feel about it. Mithraism is a really weird choice for something like this and where the gently caress did they get ~Romulus' tooth~? But then again, watching the explosive spread of the Qanon cult, maybe it's not that unrealistic and just how thing work now in the social media world. Mithraism seem like a well structured and logically consistent believe system compared to Qanon

e: would have been hilarious if they had chosen qanon for the cult. People praying to Trump, wearing T tags, building trump tower temples, "Trump in heaven, guide my path", etc.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I thought Campion being somehow immune to radiation would be relevant to the plot but I guess it wasn't.

Also a couple nitpicks - they referred to Kepler 22b as "across the galaxy" which it's not, and the intro shows the ship appearing through a warp vortex at some kind which it didn't. I also don't get why all 3 "factions" would pick the same star, especially if it's not the closest one.

Anyways the show was pretty good with an uneven ending but definitely was worth watching. Mother was an incredible actress as well, and Father (Bayek!)

Edit: Also I love the aforementioned intro sequence.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 14, 2020

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Less Fat Luke posted:

I thought Campion being somehow immune to radiation would be relevant to the plot but I guess it wasn't.

I felt it was pretty obviously because Campion had mothers dark photon tears giving him dark photon plot armor power, which surely is going to come up in some later season/episode as useful (like my initial supposition that Campion is the true 'hybrid' heir of humanity/necromancers)....

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Gonz posted:

Someone get Gilbert Gottfried on the line

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

DandyLion posted:

I felt it was pretty obviously because Campion had mothers dark photon tears giving him dark photon plot armor power, which surely is going to come up in some later season/episode as useful (like my initial supposition that Campion is the true 'hybrid' heir of humanity/necromancers)....

Could be! There was also some obvious callouts though to Paul being much smarter than Campion (which may have gone off the rails in the last episode, who knows).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

angerbeet posted:

Someone get Gilbert Gottfried on the line

AI generate Vincent Price's voice from his old recordings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

The podcast kinda confirms that this is not an alt-history world. The Mithraics appeared during the 21th century and then started taking over the world with their ancient aliens knowledge. I assume the "Atheists" is what remained of the coalition of the non-batshit insane countries that opposed them.

Don't know how to feel about it. Mithraism is a really weird choice for something like this and where the gently caress did they get ~Romulus' tooth~? But then again, watching the explosive spread of the Qanon cult, maybe it's not that unrealistic and just how thing work now in the social media world. Mithraism seem like a well structured and logically consistent believe system compared to Qanon

e: would have been hilarious if they had chosen qanon for the cult. People praying to Trump, wearing T tags, building trump tower temples, "Trump in heaven, guide my path", etc.

Too late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx68y5B7BRc

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Could be! There was also some obvious callouts though to Paul being much smarter than Campion (which may have gone off the rails in the last episode, who knows).

Paul is far more developed than Campion, having the benefit of being a privileged child educated in an extremely advanced society, with the bonus 13 years of learning while in hibernation; he won't necessarily be a more intelligent adult.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wheeee posted:

Paul is far more developed than Campion, having the benefit of being a privileged child educated in an extremely advanced society, with the bonus 13 years of learning while in hibernation; he won't necessarily be a more intelligent adult.

Yeah the Paul/Campion comparison smacks of comparative nurtures. My gut tells me the more interesting tale/victor is the boy who's raised by androids ends up actually being the most humanistic of the bunch (once again contradicting the Mithraic (ie evil snake beings) dictums that Androids shouldn't raise human children.

Granted it would seem they're telegraphing Paul's decent into extreme belief a little early (which makes it more likely he'll have some redemptive reversal later next season, and therefore the bigger 'surprise twist we never saw coming')..

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished season 1 and I’m very disappointed that Paul and Campion didn’t die

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Finished this show today, rather liked it. I'm not generally a huge fan of the "constant new mysteries" type of storytelling, but this show has interesting enough characters that I actually liked it. Season 2 will have to execute well on what they've built, though. If they don't close out any mysteries things will just get boring.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I dont understand why Mother or Father didnt just shoot/stab the snake. Recreating Alien 3 seem excessive.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gaj posted:

I dont understand why Mother or Father didnt just shoot/stab the snake. Recreating Alien 3 seem excessive.
I thought the implication was that it had some sort of Necromancer powers. Campion asked if it would be able to fly, like Mother, and it could. When mother said they couldn't throw it down the hole "because it can fly" it felt like there was more weight on that line, like the implication was that this thing was very hosed up and powerful.

Could be wrong. Mother can't fly without her eyes/dark photons, which she did not have while her body constructed the creature. But it seems thematically relevant if her offspring got some of her traits, including her power.

I'm a bit curious as to why Mother immediately assumed the creature was malevolent and a threat. I guess it's monstrous form was proof it wasn't actually Campion Sr's child, which means something lied to Mother to bring it about, which means that something assumed Mother wouldn't want it, and therefore it's probably harmful to Mother's interests, and therefore it's probably harmful to the children. But even after all of that, it's still her child, and she's got some pretty hardcore mothering programming. I wonder if she'll come to understand and appreciate her monstrous child more in later seasons.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Actually that's a pretty good explanation for why they decided to fly it into the core of the planet.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I would think "fly it into the sun" would be a better answer but the show was generally not too good about the use of outer space as a thing to be considered.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zachack posted:

I would think "fly it into the sun" would be a better answer but the show was generally not too good about the use of outer space as a thing to be considered.

They were in the middle of refueling the lander when Mother started giving birth, interrupting them. I think that was the writer's suggesting they didn't have the fuel.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Zachack posted:

Dismissing that plan would (inadvertently?) be realistic, since their tiny lander probably can't reach high enough speeds on potato fuel to actually get to the sun without slingshotting around planets over several years.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Zachack posted:

Fun fact, from Earth it is actually harder to impact the sun than to break solar escape velocity and leave (slowly) for another star.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Campion was basically a space homeschooled child.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Open Source Idiom posted:

They were in the middle of refueling the lander when Mother started giving birth, interrupting them. I think that was the writer's suggesting they didn't have the fuel.

That's a good reason but it also brings up the idea of shoving the snake into the potato engine, although I don't recall if they had to close it first.

As for solar interferences I think any option that gets the snake off-planet would be good? I mean, crash into one of the various moons.

I was going to say "crash it into the heptahedron" but they don't know about that, which is too bad because the fire anus looks like the right size for the snake.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Did anyone watch that sci-fi show Revolution a few years ago? Or Falling Skies for that matter?

Raised by Wolves reminds me of those shows quite a lot. Its got some central mysteries that are compelling enough for me to want the answers, but its just so goddamn loving stupid at the same time. The central conceit of the show alone is dumb as hell. The most brilliant man on earth thinks two robots are going to build a new human civilization on a Alien planet, basically starting over from the Stone Age without any real technological help or even enough human embryos to ensure genetic diversity? Also, the religious people are going to show up fully equipped with a thousand people in eight years time?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this show really is quite stupid but the androids are super cool enough to carry the thing for me at least.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

uber_stoat posted:

this show really is quite stupid but the androids are super cool enough to carry the thing for me at least.

See, that's the thing! I still want to find out what's going on with all the ancient aliens/possible time travel poo poo, but my eyes are constantly rolling out of their sockets and making it difficult to watch the show in the first place.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I know I'm dunking on this show constantly, but really, it's a very different show from what I expected it was going to be from both the one sentence blurb I read about it ahead of time and from how the first 40 minutes of it played out. I originally thought it was going to be about competent, but ultimately non-human androids attempting to raise a new society on an alien world and the troubles they would run into due to the disconnect between themselves and their human children. I knew religion played a role before I started watching, and I honestly thought it was going to go over the difficulty of teaching atheism to children who are naturally prone to magical thinking and fantasy. I really thought it was going that direction when it show Campion starting to make up his own prayers, and that the show was going to time jump many times to show how just one of the original six children becoming religious ultimately led to religion developing on the world through future generations. Teaching children to not do things by simply telling them not to do them is ultimately an unsuccessful route, because every child will want to rebel and push past the boundaries that are set for them. Perfect parenting machines failing to grasp this leading to unfortunate results is a fun story (seriously watch the Netflix movie Mother for some of this).

But by the final episode the children are side stories and we are looking at milky snake births, dark photon jacked up rapists and prophets, and what ever the gently caress the last 3 minutes of this show was supposed to be. And the path it took there was profoundly stupid, but it was stupid in a very earnest and humorous way, which makes it apparent that everyone working on this show thought they were doing something really deep while essentially just redoing everything Ridley Scott has done better in previous films, so at least it's something fun to laugh at.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

What's wrong with Campion?

I enjoyed the season, though it did drag a bit in the middle and it started laying on technobabble and some silly sci-fi poo poo at the end that wasn't really needed. Did the rapist really need to get superpowers from the bloodflow somehow getting reversed, something which you'd think an android would be able to detect happening just about instantly? Just seemed contrived and silly for something that had little point or payoff. The Terminator-esque earth scenes are a lot of fun and I hope to see a bit more of that in the second season. Mother and Father are both rad.

It's unclear exactly and gets into theory, but I think the idea was that the cards mother was looking at were not only meant to show her something from the past but also to hijack her systems in a way that would try and kill the snake fetus inside her. Draining blood from her did almost do that. It was an unintended side effect that the blood then went into a bad guy. I think the blood giving people energy or super strength is an indication of a property of the snakes. Maybe they were bred by the kepler aliens just to be drained of their blood to be used as a super-serum narcotic. It's possible that abuse of it lead to their society collapsing ala Bioshock. The root Campion gives everyone when they run away is a plant that might have been able to leach a little bit of that energy giving element into itself from the old snake bones.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lister posted:

It's unclear exactly and gets into theory, but I think the idea was that the cards mother was looking at were not only meant to show her something from the past but also to hijack her systems in a way that would try and kill the snake fetus inside her. Draining blood from her did almost do that. It was an unintended side effect that the blood then went into a bad guy. I think the blood giving people energy or super strength is an indication of a property of the snakes. Maybe they were bred by the kepler aliens just to be drained of their blood to be used as a super-serum narcotic. It's possible that abuse of it lead to their society collapsing ala Bioshock. The root Campion gives everyone when they run away is a plant that might have been able to leach a little bit of that energy giving element into itself from the old snake bones.

That scene really confused me but this explanation makes a lot of sense. Makes perfect sense that the snake told Paul to destroy the cards too.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The show is just super bleak like Prometheus it’s a lot of trauma to take in for 9 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Invalid Validation posted:

The show is just super bleak like Prometheus it’s a lot of trauma to take in for 9 hours.

I agree and it actually made me want to keep watching it. It's moody as heck and I fell asleep watching it a lot, in a good way!