Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't seen Roger Cross in The Boys or The Expanse yet. The gently caress is wrong with Canada not employing him.

Be patient. There's still plenty more of those shows to come. I'm almost positive he'll be on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
gently caress, I forgot William Fichtner and Neal McDonough, who are two of my all-time favorite "that guy" character actors.

More "that guys":
Robert Knepper (a favorite of mine UNTIL I found out he was a violent sex creep in real life)
Lance Reddick
Toby Huss
Dylan Baker
Wendell Pierce
Saul Rubinek

And the three creepy guys I used to mix up:
David Dastmalchian
James Frain
Patrick Fischler

It's sad that I can't think of too many character actresses. I love the aforementioned Kathryn Hahn and Judy Greer, and I'll suggest:
Carrie Coon
Cristin Milioti
Mackenzie Davis
Kerry Bishe
Emily Hampshire
Kim Dickens

zoux posted:

Rockwell has starred in plenty of features, I wouldn't say he's a character actor, right? The others I agree with, and please Forgive me Shea Wigham for forgetting to mention you

He has played some leads, but I still think of him as the MVP in ensemble casts (Seven Psychopaths, The Assassination of Jesse James..., Three Billboards, The Green Mile, Iron Man 2), and a little too weird (sometimes goofy, sometimes creepy) to be a traditional Hollywood leading man. But he is a pretty great leading man in Mr. Right, which I highly recommend.

Another "leading man" I still think of as a character actor first and foremost is Timothy Olyphant, who has surprising range and can be hilarious.

Inspector 34 posted:

Much as I love Ken Marino, I'm not sure a guy who plays every character the same can be listed among the best character actors. Honestly kinda feel the same way about Željko Ivanek. Love to see them in stuff but you always know exactly what performance you're going to get from them.

He's surprisingly good as a straight man and a romantic lead as well as a big dorky goofball, and he surprised me by playing an intimidating mobster who was also a devoted boyfriend in Agent Carter. I honestly wanted them to spend more time with that character, but I wanted to spend more time with all those characters. drat, I miss Agent Carter.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 14, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It's so drat weird to hear him speaking without a southern accent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kathryn Hahn is so freakin good

You know who isn’t good? This guy in Raised By Wolves who was also in Vikings apparently. I find him so boring to watch. Everything else is getting significantly more interesting, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

CCH Pounder, absolutely (she makes the most of a thankless role in RoboCop 3). I think Octavia Spencer has graduated to "star" status.

Others that came to mind:

Bradley Whitford
Kathryn Hahn
Melissa Leo
Alan Ruck
Frances McDormand
Brad Dourif

Edit: Alfre Woodard, too.

Good list, Dourif is a first ballot hall of famer That Guy. He'll always be the Doc from Deadwood to me, but he's slayed some meaty roles. And like he'll show up in a feature film and as a Star Trek alien in the same week. Also the voice of Chucky!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

People forget that Brad Dourif's first film role was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

In 1975.

In which he was nominated for an Oscar, and won a Golden Globe/BAFTA award.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Well speaking of Justified, Neal McDonough is conspicuously missing from those lists above.

Best scene ever with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_SWSsXXyz4

Legends Tomorrow is a treat because it was one season of "serious hero drama" and then the rest was mostly goofy as gently caress on purpose.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Kathryn Hahn is so freakin good

You know who isn’t good? This guy in Raised By Wolves who was also in Vikings apparently. I find him so boring to watch. Everything else is getting significantly more interesting, though.

I actually found him the most interesting as the season began but once he devolved into generic crazy fanatic guy he just become boring.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Best scene ever with him

Legends Tomorrow is a treat because it was one season of "serious hero drama" and then the rest was mostly goofy as gently caress on purpose.

Sarah Lance and the Time Idiots is the finest CW DC show to ever exist.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

pentyne posted:

Best scene ever with him

Yeah that's good, but my favorite line from him is, "It's a piggy bank!"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

If a movie or TV show is being filmed in Canada, Roger Cross is contractually obligated to appear in it. It's been like that for a long time with him.

Cross has long-lost career twin sister in Catherine Lough Haggquist whose credits as prolific, if a little more low-key, all the way back to M.A.N.T.I.S and X-Files.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0521723/

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Timby posted:

CCH Pounder, absolutely (she makes the most of a thankless role in RoboCop 3). I think Octavia Spencer has graduated to "star" status.

I can't hear her name without thinking about this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDLkDmzhJQ

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ted Lasso was renewed (!) for Season 3 (!).

Good news for a poo poo day.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

People forget that Brad Dourif's first film role was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

In 1975.

In which he was nominated for an Oscar, and won a Golden Globe/BAFTA award.

They usually forget he also killed it in Wise Blood in 1979

"A man with a good car don't need to be justified!"

bou
Aug 3, 2006

May i add Jared Harris and Enver Gjokaj to the list?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ted Lasso was renewed (!) for Season 3 (!).

Good news for a poo poo day.

Great news, I didn’t even know it was renewed for season 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oasx posted:

Great news, I didn’t even know it was renewed for season 2.

I want to see a show be renewed for season 3 but not season 2. Just a weird, jarring skip from one to the other. The more serialized the better. Reference things from a nonexistent season 2 constantly. Then if it’s a comedy, skip to season 6 and make sure that everyone involved is a little sick of it and it’s not as good as its peak in season 3, which is really the second season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bou posted:

Enver Gjokaj

This guy really doesn't get enough work. He's one of my favorites.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I want to see a show be renewed for season 3 but not season 2. Just a weird, jarring skip from one to the other. The more serialized the better. Reference things from a nonexistent season 2 constantly. Then if it’s a comedy, skip to season 6 and make sure that everyone involved is a little sick of it and it’s not as good as its peak in season 3, which is really the second season.

The old PC game series Leisure Suit Larry did that. IIRC it went from 3 to 5 with no 4 and 5 had references to what happened in 4 but it doesn't actually exist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/netflix/status/1316111381523914752

Lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Imagine thinking BBT is too smart lmao

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

This guy really doesn't get enough work. He's one of my favorites.

Another highlight from both Dollhouse (which had a stacked cast of excellent character actors) and Agent Carter, where he played such a good dude. I worry his name has kept him from larger stardom. I know Enver is pronounced like "En-VAIR," but I have no idea how to pronounce his last name.

This reminded me of more good female character actors I always enjoy seeing pop up:
Amy Acker
Lyndsy Fonseca
Dichen Lachmann

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Enver Gjokaj had a big role in the last season of Agents of Shield, in case someone didn’t know.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Annabel Pee posted:

I can't hear her name without thinking about this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDLkDmzhJQ

I knew what this was.

It really is a very good impression

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a thread a few years ago about some extremely weird low budget sci fi show?

Maybe it was time trax? Ringing a bell

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 14, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure there has never been a thread about Time Trax.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

I'm pretty sure there has never been a thread about Time Trax.

This is a travesty.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you gotten to the end of E9 yet?
(talking about Evil)
I think the last one I watched was E6. The reactions I've heard to E9 have me v. excited to get to it tonight hopefully.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Milo and POTUS posted:

I knew what this was.

It really is a very good impression

Maybe it was time trax? Ringing a bell

Extremely weird low budget scifi makes me think of Lexx.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ironically Joel McHale is in that clip and did much better "nerd comedy" than BBT even aimed at. The D&D episodes of Community were great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Bon Appetit is back apparently and this is the one video where I'm devouring the comments section

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W51ARNFPUuU

https://twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1316368051219181568

Chris Morocco is a piece of poo poo.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The fact that that Bert Kreischer guy is the real life inspiration for Van Wilder is one of the weirdest pieces of trivia occupying my brain considering I don’t know his work at all

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sumo posted:

The fact that that Bert Kreischer guy is the real life inspiration for Van Wilder is one of the weirdest pieces of trivia occupying my brain considering I don’t know his work at all

Really? TIL. And the only thing I know about Bert is that he is The Machine.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
*bursts into thread out of breath*
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1316468889782493184?s=19

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dexter becomes an ecoterrorist, killing the lumberjacks from within one by one to save the forest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/i/status/1316468804378079234

WHO WANTED THIS

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This was literally why the show got the lumberjack ending in the first place, so they could do a revival.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Time to necro the greatest hate watch thread in TVIV’s history

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Slamhound posted:

Time to necro the greatest hate watch thread in TVIV’s history

What does Sons of Anarchy have to do with this?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

I think Brad at least it's still contacted with them for videos, most of the rest have decided they're not doing it anymore. Most still do their old jobs in the test kitchen.

Sohla joined Babish on his youtube channel and does her own show there now

https://youtu.be/WKsJC1nuqVo

I saw this on my Google feed. A bit less random than "they just stopped."

Bon Appétit Rebuilds Video Slate With Eight New Chefs Following Wave of Protest Resignations posted:

Condé Nast hopes to revive Bon Appétit’s YouTube channel with a new, diverse slate of eight new chefs, coming after seven hosts quit the food publication’s video roster over allegations of racial inequity.

Bon Appétit announced the new talent — DeVonn Francis, Tiana “Tee” Gee, Melissa Miranda, Samantha Seneviratne, Christian “Chrissy” Tracey, Harold Villarosa, Rawlston Williams and Claudette Zepeda — along with the return of previous hosts Brad Leone, Chris Morocco and Andy Baraghani. (Watch the teaser trailer below.) Condé Nast said several BA series will resume production this month and premiere this fall, with Bon Appétit’s popular “From the Test Kitchen” slated to relaunch in 2021.

Edit: welp I guess I'm late by about two pages. Anyway peace out and gently caress conde nast

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyM_JjN7yw