Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the bow moveset is very fun at least and you get to use anna for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly even just seeing enemy stats in battle is weirdly off in three houses. you can probably put it down to the koei tecmo team not having a ton of experience with SRPGs.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

while we're talking about 3H and koei tecmo: why does the game both looks worse and run worse than warriors, despite nothing too intensive ever happening on screen (and warriors doesn't even run that well to begin with)? i just assumed they had trouble working the switch when i played 3H originally but now that i've actually seen warriors, it makes no sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

three houses was probably in development at the same time as warriors

the cameras more zoomed out

theres more higher quality character models on screen at once (rather than generic troops)

the maps do look nicer than in warriors

take your pick

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

even the monastery runs bad though!

i guess it must be the character models mostly, but it's weird that they would have trouble with that when impressive character density is the whole thing with warriors and they know how to make those models look acceptable at low polycounts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they can't make the actual character-character models look bad and theres way more of those than there are in warrior games.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I could buy that TH started development as that 3DS Fire Emblem after echoes that ended up getting scrapped, which could explain why a lot of it sure looks like it could run on a 3DS. RD was literally a Gamecube game they ported to the Wii so it's not like it's without precedent.

Of course in some ways TH is outright worse than the 3DS games too. Namely animations. Fates had amazing in-battle animations regardless of whether they were too flamboyant for ones individual tastes. And Echoes had great animations too even if they were a bit too toned down for ones tastes. And Awakenings while lame were at least serviceable. TH on the other hand is a disaster. Characters strike empty air on hits, hold their weapons in the wrong places, weapons routinely teleport, clipping into the enemy is a given.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Argent Cinereus posted:

This is part of a larger problem Three Houses has: the menus. There's a bunch of stuff that would be more helpful if it didn't require jumping through five different menu screens to actually do them. I've got a bunch of stat boosters that I haven't used specifically because I'm not sure it's worth navigating through the menus to see who I want to give each one to, sending it to their inventory, and going back there in another menu to actually use it. Just a bunch of slight inconveniences that add up.

Ooh, yeah. Forget automating meals, this is the QoL improvement I'd want most. You should definitely be able to use stat items in storage on any character without having to put the item in their personal inventory first. That's probably the single most awkward mechanic in the game, especially since I'm often scrolling through everyone's stats first to figure out who I even want to use the item on.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

bit of a long shot, but does anyone know/remember what the best mission to get generic bow materials in Warriors is? because they sure hate placing archers in missions apparently. i've yet to get more than one or two at once from anywhere and i'm constantly out of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I could buy that TH started development as that 3DS Fire Emblem after echoes that ended up getting scrapped, which could explain why a lot of it sure looks like it could run on a 3DS. RD was literally a Gamecube game they ported to the Wii so it's not like it's without precedent.
This is impossible because that 3ds game was by intsys while 3h was almost entirely by koei tecmo

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Quake is rude :( farewell 4 of my characters on low health and goodbye 20 minutes of my life on this stage...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Amppelix posted:

bit of a long shot, but does anyone know/remember what the best mission to get generic bow materials in Warriors is? because they sure hate placing archers in missions apparently. i've yet to get more than one or two at once from anywhere and i'm constantly out of them

theres a really good excel sheet with all this info pinned in the gamefaqs forum iirc

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well drat, there sure was. thanks for the tip! really wouldn't have thought to look there.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Warriors could really use a better notification system than the literally same one they've been doing for the last 20 years. I just did a mission where minerva died about halfway through, but the battlefield was so hectic with stuff happening that by the time i finally got the message prompt that it happened it was like five minutes later and i was just striking the killing blow. the notification backlog gets absurdly, comically large on any map where there's even the slightest potential for multiple objectives to advance simultaneously.

and there's so many things they could do to improve it! and it's not hard to notice how bad it is in its current form! like how about a notification log for starters, combined with displaying more than one at a time and not lingering them each on screen for 10 seconds since you could always check if you missed something.

but no, by all accounts seems like they're just sticking to their guns on this one. you just gotta display that massive message banner on the bottom of the screen. would it even be musou if you didn't?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Warriors could really use a better notification system than the literally same one they've been doing for the last 20 years. I just did a mission where minerva died about halfway through, but the battlefield was so hectic with stuff happening that by the time i finally got the message prompt that it happened it was like five minutes later and i was just striking the killing blow. the notification backlog gets absurdly, comically large on any map where there's even the slightest potential for multiple objectives to advance simultaneously.

and there's so many things they could do to improve it! and it's not hard to notice how bad it is in its current form! like how about a notification log for starters, combined with displaying more than one at a time and not lingering them each on screen for 10 seconds since you could always check if you missed something.

but no, by all accounts seems like they're just sticking to their guns on this one. you just gotta display that massive message banner on the bottom of the screen. would it even be musou if you didn't?

Yeah I definitely remember losing missions and almost losing missions because of the backlog. It's bad in Hyrule Warriors but it felt like it came up way more in FEW for some reason.

It's also absurdly annoying for the hard mode picture pieces when you're pretty sure you've successfully done the mission and you're just making the get on with it hand motions so you can get the drat thing before everything goes to poo poo again.

Amppelix posted:

well drat, there sure was. thanks for the tip! really wouldn't have thought to look there.

side note: i hope you like the darios clone mission and the gharnef tree mission because even with Level Reset it remains the best way to earn certain character materials in bulk

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i'm about 93% sure i won't be going full grind in this game because it just doesn't sound very pleasant, and what are you even doing it for? just the satisfaction of having an optimized team?

i'll probably unlock Anna and see if i'm done with the game then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The cute supports, of course!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Amppelix posted:

i'm about 93% sure i won't be going full grind in this game because it just doesn't sound very pleasant, and what are you even doing it for? just the satisfaction of having an optimized team?

its a very fun time waster. i come back to it every few months just for that. the supports are good incentive also

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I loved the game so much I decided to 100% complete it by getting every medal and that meant every

single

badge/skill in the game

I think I wound up completing all the history maps and then had to spend like 20 hours grinding assorted maps and gold for level resets, materials and supports.

it also meant grinding Anna on the highest level map in the game with Parago nand the EXP boosting many...many times to get her to level 150.

Which, yes, does make me a crazy person but also this was basically My Game for about 6-8 months and i just popped on podcasts while killing time and what have you. FWIW the various history maps are very breezy content and have fun bits and nice progression so you might like those. So there's plenty of chill game there

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

in completely other news, does anyone have a menu translation guide for mystery of the emblem handy? i did the thing i've been thinking about doing and started it up on switch, and i understand it mostly but some of the options mystify me

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Amppelix posted:

in completely other news, does anyone have a menu translation guide for mystery of the emblem handy? i did the thing i've been thinking about doing and started it up on switch, and i understand it mostly but some of the options mystify me

https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1308811460760473600?s=20

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

thanks! i saw it earlier and that post was exactly what i was thinking of, but drat how do i search for something like this on twitter

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Back during the Wii era Nintendo was releasing classic Japanese-only games on the Virtual Console and I was salivating at the thought we might getFire Emblem 3-5. Of course now Nintendo seems to have given up on letting people play old games almost entirely since the Switch has no Virtual Console at all and the best you can hope for are one-off HD remasters. I'm still pissed we didn't get Fire Emblems but at least I got a bunch of Japanese Star Soldier games and Sin & Punishment.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i literally just said i'm playing this on my switch though??

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but I think what G-Zombie is talking about is that FE3 is a weird one-off in this case. The advantage of the Switch over the 3DS is, of course, no region lock shenanigans (or at least not without hacking).

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Amppelix posted:

i literally just said i'm playing this on my switch though??

In Japanese and only FE3. I think the point about no Virtual Console is a bit ??? though because thats what the NES and SNES Virtual Consoles are.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
FE3 on the switch is still Japanese only, it's not translated and you can only play it by taking advantage of shenanigans from the Switches lack of region locking.

Rimusutera posted:

In Japanese and only FE3. I think the point about no Virtual Console is a bit ??? though because thats what the NES and SNES Virtual Consoles are.

It's a "service" though instead of being able to actually own the games, plus it has like 10% of the stuff the VC had, is only two systems, and isn't bringing over previously Japanese only titles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The fact that i can download the japanese version of the classics apps with the huge hassle of making a new account and simply setting its region as japan really invalidates any complaints i would have about exclusive games between the services.

It is a bit silly that you have to do that instead of just being able to access any regional eshop with any account, but really.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Incidentally they are bringing over japanese-only titles to the NA versions of the service. Just keeping it to puzzle games who don't suffer from lack of translation. Panel de Pon, Mario's Super Picross & Super Puyo Puyo 2

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i guess my thing right now is playing old fire emblems because i also resumed my Thracia first playthrough save that was in chapter 10. this is when fatigue is just kicking in as a mechanic, and i am now here to post the extremely hot take that fatigue is amazing and every fire emblem game in the classic mold could definitely use it.

it makes you think of the whole squad in a completely different way than just the usual "do i like this guy? no? not getting deployed" and actually makes the massive ranks you inevitably end up with have some meaning. like in this chapter i deployed a couple of the generic scrub knights that join you in 9 just so i wouldn't accumulate fatigue on my really good units on this simpler battle. never before in my life have i used characters like this in any FE game. and what do you know, I actually ended up getting really good use out of this guy https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Kain and managed to get him some good scrolled levels while i was at it by sticking him on a fort and watching the enemy very slowly whittle themselves down on him. now he's actually got respectable stats, and while i probably won't use one of my class changes on him he's more than ready to provide some backup whenever i need a filler unit with some kick. it's really cool that this discovery was very naturally encouraged by the game instead of happening because i'm on my 17th playthrough and trying all the units i've never touched.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fatigue is okay but I wouldn't want it in every FE game. At this point I have enough OP units that I can trade some in or out depending on the circumstance without having to resort to bringing someone that's awful. Whenever I have extra slots I usually bring pre-promotes. Thankfully it's also the kind of game where you don't necessarily need someone that's good at killing all the time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

i guess my thing right now is playing old fire emblems because i also resumed my Thracia first playthrough save that was in chapter 10. this is when fatigue is just kicking in as a mechanic, and i am now here to post the extremely hot take that fatigue is amazing and every fire emblem game in the classic mold could definitely use it.

it makes you think of the whole squad in a completely different way than just the usual "do i like this guy? no? not getting deployed" and actually makes the massive ranks you inevitably end up with have some meaning. like in this chapter i deployed a couple of the generic scrub knights that join you in 9 just so i wouldn't accumulate fatigue on my really good units on this simpler battle. never before in my life have i used characters like this in any FE game. and what do you know, I actually ended up getting really good use out of this guy https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Kain and managed to get him some good scrolled levels while i was at it by sticking him on a fort and watching the enemy very slowly whittle themselves down on him. now he's actually got respectable stats, and while i probably won't use one of my class changes on him he's more than ready to provide some backup whenever i need a filler unit with some kick. it's really cool that this discovery was very naturally encouraged by the game instead of happening because i'm on my 17th playthrough and trying all the units i've never touched.

To be fair FE6/7 also try to get you to do this with ranks, but iirc going for ranks include stipulations like “play like a crazy person to game the system”. But yeah, I’ve never gotten that far in Thracia but I really like how Genealogy/Echoes (usually) don’t cap your deployment slots so you can actually try using everyone and it becomes a fun little challenge to get everyone to promotion and not just use your best guys to curbstomp everyone.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Fatigue is okay but I wouldn't want it in every FE game. At this point I have enough OP units that I can trade some in or out depending on the circumstance without having to resort to bringing someone that's awful. Whenever I have extra slots I usually bring pre-promotes. Thankfully it's also the kind of game where you don't necessarily need someone that's good at killing all the time.
I'm not really sure what you're even talking about here. At what point?

Also you didn't really say why you wouldn't want it in every game (and i wouldn't want it in every game either, just the ones that are like fe1 where your unit list grows very inflated)

Actually i guess that would just come out to 1, 3, 5, 6 and 7, 11 and 12.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My main issue with Fatigue and systems like it is that it demands a certain level of future vision from the player. Sure, use your Thief now - too bad you'll need them next stage and now they're fatigued. Hey, this character you've been using? Yeah, needed to recruit someone next stage, tough luck kid.

While making you use your roster is nice and FE probably could use some way to incentivize the player to use more units (maybe something like the Twin/Tri systems in SRW?) I don't think fatigue is that way.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The removal of support limits is what gets me to use more of my army

I prefer passive encouragement than active discouragement

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

My main issue with Fatigue and systems like it is that it demands a certain level of future vision from the player. Sure, use your Thief now - too bad you'll need them next stage and now they're fatigued. Hey, this character you've been using? Yeah, needed to recruit someone next stage, tough luck kid.

While making you use your roster is nice and FE probably could use some way to incentivize the player to use more units (maybe something like the Twin/Tri systems in SRW?) I don't think fatigue is that way.
That's why stamina drinks exist, and why you have several units able to fill most roles. And sure, you can theoretically screw yourself by using all your resources, but ain't that always the fire emblem way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The twin/tri system was basically just pair-up. Pair-up sucked.

Furthermore FE units are way more individualized than SRW units and having ones that just exist to be squad filler would suck.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You could just make the penalties for fatigue gentler. If someone gets fully fatigued, make it so you can deploy them with reduced stats. If *that* happens, then they have to be benched for a couple. This wouldn't really punish thieves that harshly. And you could just make it so most recruitable characters can be recruited by a few different characters. Heck, that second one is something FE5 already does, there's only two or three instances of characters who can only be recruited by one character that isn't Leif and doesn't join on that map.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 14, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Amppelix posted:

I'm not really sure what you're even talking about here. At what point?

Also you didn't really say why you wouldn't want it in every game (and i wouldn't want it in every game either, just the ones that are like fe1 where your unit list grows very inflated)

Actually i guess that would just come out to 1, 3, 5, 6 and 7, 11 and 12.

I guess I should mention that I'm also playing Thracia for the first time and I'm in Chapter 21 now. I've only had to use one Stamina Drink so far but I've also had a little bit of future vision thanks to some helpful people on Discord that aren't spoiling me silly too hard. But I think I prefer smaller rosters where you don't have to shuffle around people so much. Something like New Mystery of the Emblem is ludicrous and it if had stamina I don't think I could handle it. Genealogy was great because you can use your entire army in every map even if some of them sucked, that's the kind of system I think I'd end up preferring.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Stamina is cool and I like it but I'm glad it isn't in other games. It sort of accomplishes its goal of getting you to use more units, but getting you to switch between Asbel/Orsin/Dagdar isn't that big of a win imo. Like at no point in my runs did I have to resort to deploying the Soldier Boys because I ran out of units. It sounds bad on paper, but I think it's fine that most games let you use your best units over and over. I think some kind of exp share for your undeployed units would be nice though so they don't end up perma-benched due to falling behind.

Also, if the remake changes anything then I think Endorph's idea of fatigue inducing a stat penalty instead is better. It would suck to be in a situation where you can't get a unit because of something you did last chapter. Going off of memory you could miss the following due to units being fatigued: Tina, Connomor, Amalda, Ilios, Misha, Homer, Shanam, Lara promotion, Linoan promotion, Galzus, Eyvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Stamina is cool and I like it but I'm glad it isn't in other games. It sort of accomplishes its goal of getting you to use more units, but getting you to switch between Asbel/Orsin/Dagdar isn't that big of a win imo. Like at no point in my runs did I have to resort to deploying the Soldier Boys because I ran out of units.
you realize this just reinforces the point, right? fatigue isn't actually so bad that it forces you to use all the worst units in the game. but its mere existence causes you to *think* about the prospect in a way that you never would otherwise.