Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

muscles like this! posted:

Matt from Thought Slime/Scaredy Cats is pretty funny and should do more actual comedy bits.
comedy matt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

What? No. Wano's like maybe half over. It's still in Act 3 of 5.

People keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure Act 3 was the flashback. We're in Act 4, the climax.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CodfishCartographer posted:

Dunno if it was posted here, but he actually just tweeted a few days ago showing interest.

https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1315311649864245248?s=19

Most of the comments urge him to stay away though.

A lot of folks arent happy about FYAD returning I hear.
I myself can only speak for a select few forums myself, but I feel its pretty chill down here at least.
VB was also unbanned.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DeafNote posted:

A lot of folks arent happy about FYAD returning I hear.
I myself can only speak for a select few forums myself, but I feel its pretty chill down here at least.
VB was also unbanned.

VB?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

voidburger. she was part of the wave of LP posters that got banned or jumped ship with those who did when they pointed out Lowtax was being creepy

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Dunno if it was posted here, but he actually just tweeted a few days ago showing interest.

https://twitter.com/ChipCheezum/status/1315311649864245248?s=19

Most of the comments urge him to stay away though.
I feel so oblivious to a lot of the poo poo with SA even though I also feel very plugged into stuff lol

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Matt from Thought Slime/Scaredy Cats is pretty funny and should do more actual comedy bits.

I like his politics but his delivery is just nails on a chalkboard to me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

People keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure Act 3 was the flashback. We're in Act 4, the climax.

yea act three was the flashback, we're in act four now, which does mean we've still got a lot to go because...Oda...but we're like 3/4ths done rather than half.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Darth Walrus posted:

People keep saying it because it's true. Act 3 has explicitly not ended yet. There is a curtain down panel at the end of an Act and that has not happened for Act 3 yet. The flashback was the start, not the sum total.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

OptimusShr posted:

Please tell me he ate it. :allears:

It turns out every pack came with a stick of gum. He did not eat them.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There's tons of places here I've never visited and I've been reg'd for aeons. Not sure I've ever been in FYAD or know what it is/why it's notorious. One of the things about this place is that a lot of it is rather cordoned off and boards are almost like their own communities that don't venture too far beyond that, for better or worse.

Cool to see VoidBurger back though. Maybe that amazing French-Canadian Psychedelic Eyeball can return too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kim Justice posted:

Not sure I've ever been in FYAD or know what it is/why it's notorious.

It's a subject that's come up ITT directly or indirectly at least twice. For a multitude of reasons I both can't and won't try and elaborate, beyond saying a bunch of stupid poo poo happened that nearly ripped the forums apart and that it kicked off late last year and then lingered on into 2020. ...And of course once that fire had finally died down then the Lowtax stuff happened.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

It's a subject that's come up ITT directly or indirectly at least twice. For a multitude of reasons I both can't and won't try and elaborate, beyond saying a bunch of stupid poo poo happened that nearly ripped the forums apart and that it kicked off late last year and then lingered on into 2020. ...And of course once that fire had finally died down then the Lowtax stuff happened.

Thankfully the people responsible for a bunch of it have hosed off to their off-site to leave our dead gay comedy forum alone

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kim Justice posted:

Not sure I've ever been in FYAD or know what it is/why it's notorious.

the absolute simplest answer is that they're a subforum defined by being assholes to everyone else in the pursuit of comedy, and while sometimes this works and they produce fantastic comedy (and they also sometimes legitimately notice big problems with the forums before everyone else does), they have a tendency to fly too close to the sun and be more irritating than funny.

they have a particular tendency to show up and deliberately be as irritating as possible to punish people for bringing them up in the grey forums, so expect this thread to be unreadable for a couple pages.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Net-nazis using "HEH, I'm just ~IRONICALLY~ posting super transphobic and/or racist things! JUST INTERNET LOL" as a cover in FYAD like they'd done before in GBS, same kind of poo poo as usual.

They've gone with "THOSE WEREN'T REAL FYAD POSTERS" a couple times, but will defend trashy rear end people like Skylark, who's posted a ton of "AGP" garbage and similar transphobic chans level hate material, who gets defended with either "BUT THEY'RE TRANS" as if trans people can't be horrible to trans people or they go with "But they're posting it SATIRICALLY" when almost all of the posts with that stuff in it are literally only the hate material with no comment, high level satire for sure.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 14, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

Net-nazis using "HEH, I'm just ~IRONICALLY~ posting super transphobic and/or racist things! JUST INTERNET LOL" as a cover in FYAD like they'd done before in GBS, same kind of poo poo as usual.

They've gone with "THOSE WEREN'T REAL FYAD POSTERS" a couple times, but will defend trashy rear end people like Skylark, who's posted a ton of "AGP" garbage and similar transphobic chans level hate material, who gets defended with either "BUT THEY'RE TRANS" as if trans people can't be horrible to trans people or they go with "But they're posting it SATIRICALLY" when almost all of the posts with that stuff in it are literally only the hate material with no comment, high level satire for sure.

i mean afaik this was literally just Raspy (permabanned) and Skylark. nobody's defending Raspy and iirc (I might have misread or be misremembering) Skylark was going through some bad mental health poo poo and working through it on the forums basically.

i am absolutely not gonna deny that truscum exists. i'm semi-openly agender and i've learned to be very careful bringing that up to binary trans people because holy gently caress some of them hate nonbinary people. that contrapoints poo poo was genuinely kind of triggering for me past a certain point because it reminded me of poo poo i've directly, personally dealt with from people who i figured were gonna be cool and friendly and understanding.

but i'm also gonna cut people some level of slack if they're clearly going through poo poo and making bad posts because of that because, i mean, gently caress, i've been there, a lot

e: like, i think FYAD are a bunch of assholes, but i gather they're just assholes, not bigots.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

send a dossier to her sister about it

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Thanks folks! I think on balance I'll probably not be going to this place. Sounds bloody daft.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bonaventure posted:

send a dossier to her sister about it

Or it'd just be cool if people could not post extremely transphobic, hate group type material at all.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Or just stay here and watch this new Civvie vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8BSMtCESno

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SteelMentor posted:

This is honestly one of the most :stare: Defunctlands yet. Walt's EPCOT plans were literally insane and its a testament to his charisma and clout that people were going along with it right up until the moment he croaked. Like the unholy lovechild between a chintzy edutainment park, a Libertarian parody and a Fascist wet dream.

There's a horror set up screaming to be realised from the concept of a finished og EPCOT.

this. he wanted to make super duper Pullmanville mixed with BioShock's rapture. at first listening to it, i thought it was a cool concept but than it became more and more clear that it wouldnt work and its kind of horrifying. Walt was obsessed with the idea of what was basically the world's biggest ant farm. He was forcing a limited vision of what a society or community was onto the potential population. No retirees allowed? You have to move out of the house that you would have raised your kids in? Shuffled off to Old People City?

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 14, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm sure olds weren't the only thing Walt didn't want in his ideal society.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Archer666 posted:

Is there any other youtube channel like this out there you guys would recommend? I already know about ManadloreGaming and Sseth, but I wouldn't mind finding other channels to check out

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh dear me no another YouTuber's doing a movie! Except it's by Ashens so it's absolutely going to be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1K7b9q8cYs

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

Or it'd just be cool if people could not post extremely transphobic, hate group type material at all.

one of the people doing it, raspy, got perma'd.

the other, skylark, is a much more complicated situation and (as i laid out above) iirc was going through some pretty bad mental health poo poo and posting uniquely badly as a result. i feel like it's not unprecedented to cut posters slack based on that and it feels immediately reasonable.

dunno what else you want. :shrug: like it'd be cool if FYAD people wouldn't act like dickheads generally speaking on the grey forums, and would generally conduct themselves better, but the bigotry really doesn't seem like it was a universal thing, and what was there got stomped out pretty hard.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Walt looked pretty old at 65 given his hard smoking. Had he 15 years more to realise Epcot he probably would have really cocked Disney reputation unless the company was removed from his hands. What happens when a crime occurs? What if someone wants to renovate? What if a sponsor evaporates? When your customers aren't always white?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Archer666 posted:

I'm glad Civvie is reviewing Death Wish despite his no mods rule. I hope this means we'll get more mod reviews in the future. I would love to see Civvie look at some DOOM 2 wads like Plutonia 2 and Going Down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Walt had an obsession with recreating turn-of-the-century americana and saw that era as the height of American culture. I'm sure that if he had a city full of people to control it all would have ended in some kind of Heart of Darkness situation where he forced people to endlessly enact an Our Town scenario in full costume, like the vault dwellers in A Boy and His Dog. Only with fully automated kitchens and vacuum-tube mail delivery.

It does seem a little weird to me that the dude was so hardcore into techno-utopian futurism and conservative nostalgia at the same time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like the part about how if you lose your job or become unable to work for any reason, Walt wanted your useless rear end immediately kicked out of your home and city. Well okay that's not fair because maybe he'd build some kind of weird separate retirement village you're forcefully relocated to. Truly a kind and gentle soul.

I empathize somewhat with the idea of Epcot and a lot of Walt's goals with Epcot, but he seemingly was just too much of a megalomaniac for any of it to not swerve into his weird personal flavor of socially conservative, technocratic totalitarianism. The lengths he went to trying ensure nobody had any say in even the most fringe aspects of how the community would ultimately be run besides him is just crazy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean the only ex lp person I would like to see back is sgf. I'm really surprised chip is back, last I remember he had that patreon that he abandoned when he got his job at Volition and just quietly came back post firing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And they come back just in time for the lp mods to decide capitalism is ok and to bring it to an, at best, pseudo hobby

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leal posted:

And they come back just in time for the lp mods to decide capitalism is ok and to bring it to an, at best, pseudo hobby

...context, please?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...context, please?

Linking to a Patreon account, if you have one, in the OP and only in the OP of a Let's Play is no longer verboten.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That doesn't seem like endorsing capitalism to me, isn't that moving closer to you controlling (not outright owning) your means of production. :ussr:
New thread with hactched-ed OP going live in like a day or so, I can't think of a bad enough title though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

Linking to a Patreon account, if you have one, in the OP and only in the OP of a Let's Play is no longer verboten.

that's literally not capitalism except in the most narrow and anal retentive meaning possible

gooooooooooons :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
somebody not lazy do the simpsons 'don't make me tap the sign' meme with 'exchanging goods and services for money is not capitalism'.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Truly, people setting up tip jars for their hobbies is capitalism at its worst.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
L 👏 P 👏 should 👏 be 👏 free 👏
not 👏 motivated 👏 by 👏 money 👏

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean ideally sure but we don't live under an economic system where that's sustainable

As long as there's hungry people you'll see hungry people trying to turn their hobbies into money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you see anybody now suddenly considering returning to SA I can assure you it probably has less to do with being allowed to link your patreon at the top of an LP and more to do with the fact that a certain horrible moron is no longer in charge of this website as of a few days ago