Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm not blaming him I'd just hate myself if it happened to me.

Pretty much every contestant that is on the show is a regular person / makes a regular amount of money. Most probably middle to upper vs lower income, but honestly , even with having won 2 games, it’s pretty hard to wager say, 20-50% of one’s yearly salary vs having it guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'd love to see someone break Ken's record by being only average while everyone else the show can get is terrible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zero One posted:

I'd love to see someone break Ken's record by being only average while everyone else the show can get is terrible.

If only I lived in LA :negative:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty much every contestant that is on the show is a regular person / makes a regular amount of money. Most probably middle to upper vs lower income, but honestly , even with having won 2 games, it’s pretty hard to wager say, 20-50% of one’s yearly salary vs having it guaranteed.

Yeah I get that just for me getting the win(s) would be enough (I'm not wealthy) so I'd roll the dice since it's house money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I get that just for me getting the win(s) would be enough (I'm not wealthy) so I'd roll the dice since it's house money.

Pretty much :same:

Well, all but $1 at least, because it would be funny to win with only $1

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Zesty posted:

What Yikes?

an asteroid

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

:same:

You have to remember it cuts both ways. Sure, you can guarantee half your salary, but you could also win the whole thing, and no matter what you get to spin the wheel again. The opportunity to play again is the most valuable reward compared to the money you'd win on any DD or Final. Once you already have the win, the rest is icing, might as well go for it.

But this champ is obviously extremely risk-averse. There was another severe runaway final where he had like 23k and the next highest was 7k, but he only wagered like 2500. I can see myself doing that on a sports category that I know the chances of me getting is like 5% at best, but now he's established a pattern that it's not just a bad category (unless by some freak chance all of these wagers happened to all fall on bad categories for him....possible, but unlikely).

I can understand why they do it, but I don't have to respect it. This is your one shot, go for it. You can't lose money you never actually had, don't let that fallacy limit you. Really I don't care, do what you're comfortable with, I know I'm the odd one out with these things.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
To a lot of us, it's a TV show where things should be exciting. To them, there's money on the line. I get it. I wish the players valued what I value, is all. That's what production is supposed to do. Weed out boring players. Obviously harder to do that when your player pool is so much smaller.

It's like how I don't understand viewers who get upset at players who don't play down the categories in order. Those viewers are there for fair trivia. I'm here for watching players exploit any advantage they can to dominate.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The auditions barely screen for playing style and not for wagering at all. I don't think that's terribly important to the contestant coordinators.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
That was a GREAT final clue tonight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TL posted:

That was a GREAT final clue tonight.

Yeah it was, I made my thinking face for like half the time I normally do

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, it was a good clue. I whiffed on it completely; I was just trying to think of athletes that might have fit the bill.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I couldn't think of it either but I instinctively knew that I was going to feel dumb for not getting it and lo and behold,

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
So I just noticed SA finally changed owners, have I missed anything here?

Can't be worse than 2 people missing a chance at Final

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Did anybody here get Friday's Final? I thought it was an attempt to write one of those great clues that require like one or two leaps of logic from a fact hidden in the text but it's right there in front of you, but "Cannonball" did not convey nearly enough to get to the very specific answer.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

I didn’t get it and I have a psychology degree. I thought of the correct answer, but discounted it because “cannonball” really didn’t fit to me. I don’t think it was a very good clue.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That was the Thursday final here.

With cannonballs, I think of explosions. Oppositional defiant came to mind, but I knew that couldn't be the answer.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I might've got the days wrong. I landed at "self-destructive" also knowing that wasn't right. Really needed some hint about a letter of the alphabet or something if that was gonna work.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it was Thursday's and I had no goddamn clue.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Some of this season's clues have been brutal. Just don't feel right. A lot of times writer turnover is noticeable, but this time the tone just feels wrong.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I didn't get to watch that day because Hulu is loving incompetent and the cloud DVR recording was broken :bang: (and Jeopardy is the ONE show I watch that can't just be available on demand after it airs).

I'm now with everyone else, the limited contestant pool is definitely a factor. I'd probably be horribly wrong and fall flat on my face, but I'd love to get on now and my middling performance just dominates. It's not a solo Final level failure, but the winner walking away with $700 more than 2nd place is embarrassing, as is the number of contestants in the red at the end lately.

Wagering continues to be baffling, too. Lots of DDs where they just seem to choose random (small) numbers. When you're at 4000 and the next guy is at 9000....wagering 1500 seems useless. What's that 3500 you're saving doing for you? I get it, risk aversion (and once in a while it's late, the game is decided, and they're playing for 2nd place), but it really stands out that most of the time they're not doing any sort of logical thinking or math and just go with their gut. I don't think they're looking at the whole situation and seeing that losing a big wager really leaves them in the same boat as winning or losing the small wager, but winning on the big wager puts them back in the game.

Poque posted:

Some of this season's clues have been brutal. Just don't feel right. A lot of times writer turnover is noticeable, but this time the tone just feels wrong.

Yeah I've been commenting that I'm alternating between sweeping categories or getting the final before Alex finishes reading it or "holy gently caress no one would know that".

I did like the category about naming the English monarch when a certain event happened. They're not that outright hard, but that feels like an appropriate difficulty bump that you need to know when the event happened then go one more step to connect it to a king/queen, similar to Before and After clues.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, count me in the group of people that completely whiffed on Thursday's final.

That said, psychology is up there on the list of "topics I know literally SFA about" so I wasn't exactly surprised by it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Returning champion wagered $boob in final tonight

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Tonight's final was incredibly obvious in retrospect and I hate myself for not getting it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

zakharov posted:

Tonight's final was incredibly obvious in retrospect and I hate myself for not getting it.
Same, I threw out 'magic lamp' as an answer and felt stupid when the correct one was revealed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m glad the returning champ won, it would have sucked going home as a two day champ with $8k.

That was certainly one of the easier finals, but hey, sometimes you just whiff on them because brains are stupid and awful.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Always a good sign when the first question is a triple stumper!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Dave Grohl-rolling

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Curious what the lowest totals for 2, 3, n-game champions are.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They almost managed to finish the first round with under $1000 each

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mexican-American War wasn't even the stupidest response on the question about Florida.

Spanish-American War was guessed immediately after

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The daily double where she guessed "chlorine" as a measurement was the most cringe-worthy for me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The last few games are where the depleted player pool really seems to show for me. Carlos is a good player, but otherwise, the last few games have been fairly pedestrian.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You guys have been saying that for weeks, not days. I have 18 episodes backlogged and I just don’t care.

Did watch the solo final episode though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lol my dad and I got into an argument last about last night's Jeopardy over our wildly different philosophies of how you should bet in Final Jeopardy. He thinks that since the guy was in a runaway position he shouldn't have bet anything and I think that as long as you've secured the win and have your spot on the next game you might as well bet everything past that. I suppose the category probably played a role in it too since I know he isn't a classical music buff.

What do the rest of you think? (Extremes only please. Splitting the difference is the path of the weak)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Only time you bet nothing is when you're in third and first and second are close to one another.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If I had the game locked up, I bet nothing on just a few categories that I know the probability of me having the answer is like 5% at best (mostly sports).

If it was a physics or astronomy category, I wager everything regardless of how big a runaway it is, I have literally never missed a clue in those categories and if I do I deserve to go home in shame.

Otherwise, wager whatever the amount is that would leave me with $1 more than if the 2nd place player doubled up.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

christmas boots posted:

lol my dad and I got into an argument last about last night's Jeopardy over our wildly different philosophies of how you should bet in Final Jeopardy. He thinks that since the guy was in a runaway position he shouldn't have bet anything and I think that as long as you've secured the win and have your spot on the next game you might as well bet everything past that. I suppose the category probably played a role in it too since I know he isn't a classical music buff.

What do the rest of you think? (Extremes only please. Splitting the difference is the path of the weak)

Final Jeopardy correct percentage is only like 40%, so in general, it makes more sense to bet nothing. It depends largely on the category and player, though. I suppose if you get yourself into that position to begin with, you're likely stronger than the average player. I don't know what the correct % is for people leading in FJ.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I didn't even watch the J! last night...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm totally on team "if it's a runaway and it's a category you know, bet everything you can that would keep it a runaway".

THAT SAID if it had happened to me in say, my second game, I probably would have bet nothing just so that I didn't have to give a poo poo about final. Playing Jeopardy is mentally exhausting, and if I still had games to play that day, had still racked up a decent total, etc, I might very well just bet $0 just to give my brain an extra 5-15 minute break depending on how long the commercials go for.

In Carlos' situation though, where it was his first game, he obviously knew the art categories pretty well, and he did actually know the answer he just hosed up the reading of the clue, I think it was a good bet.