Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are all sorts of things you can win in the holodeck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGZDwzphAbQ&t=6988s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Why are there multiple 3 hour long star trek fan films that have extended scenes in the price is right studio...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Someone please contact the Lower Decks writers and ask them why the hell they haven’t included a TPIR scene yet.

Because they need to.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I always imagine that if you ask the holodeck for, say, fin-de-siècle Paris, you’re going to get some almost Disney version of it, rather than it being authentic. I’m assuming massive data loss in WW3 for some reason.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

And they probably don't read anything that isn't Shakespeare or technical manuals because they can't prove how superior they are if all they read are some trashy fantasy novels.

Odo reads loads of pulp 20s detective novels.

DS9 in generally seems really good at treating the holodeck and the crews weird niche hobbies as actually weird niche hobbies. In TNG it felt like they were a bit too serious about it all.

Our Man Bashir is really great at this, but I do kinda wish Bashir pushed back against Garek a little more - when Garek has a go at him for his absurd spy-fantasies that are nothing like real life he just accepts it, even though 5 minutes earlier they got knocked out by a cigar full of sleeping gas - its not even trying to be realistic!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Odo reads loads of pulp 20s detective novels.

DS9 in generally seems really good at treating the holodeck and the crews weird niche hobbies as actually weird niche hobbies. In TNG it felt like they were a bit too serious about it all.

Our Man Bashir is really great at this, but I do kinda wish Bashir pushed back against Garek a little more - when Garek has a go at him for his absurd spy-fantasies that are nothing like real life he just accepts it, even though 5 minutes earlier they got knocked out by a cigar full of sleeping gas - its not even trying to be realistic!

True but Odo isn't an "evolved" human either.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Roadie posted:

With the holodeck stuff, it feels like all the writers gradually forgot that it was supposed to be new and impressive around the time of TNG S1, until by Voyager you've got adult crew who grew up with holoprograms that somehow existed way before the new and shiny Enterprise-D holodeck.
LD's quest to recanonise everything in TAS is going to end with the revelation that Kirk's Enterprise really did have a holodeck all along, and Picard is just a Luddite who'd always huffily refused to go into one until Beverley said "Oh, come on, you have to try it."

(Or they could just say that the TAS holodeck wasn't capable of creating realistic characters - which now makes me think they just stood around like NPCs spouting the same stock lines.)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Discovery kinda did that already, by showing off the janky holograms during that training programme.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9's first season finale is so good at being a season finale. They really stuck the landing and confirmed that they understood what kind of show this could be, as well as bookending the premiere nicely. It's great to see them already putting so much thought into that sort of thing in a way that previous Treks really didn't.

MemAlpha says they were originally thinking the finale would be a crossover with TNG where they had to fight off a Cardassian invasion of the station, which would've been sooooo bad, even though it probably would've been exciting for a few minutes. It was absolutely not the right time to pull that trigger. And it very well could've sabotaged the later seasons of the show. I'm so glad they were smart about this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Roadie posted:

With the holodeck stuff, it feels like all the writers gradually forgot that it was supposed to be new and impressive around the time of TNG S1, until by Voyager you've got adult crew who grew up with holoprograms that somehow existed way before the new and shiny Enterprise-D holodeck.

I can totally buy that it's just the quality finally seeming as good as reality that was met around the start of TNG. We have VR videogames now that present interesting worlds to explore, but no one is mistaking them for reality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that some of the younger crew in Voyager WOULD have been kids during TNG Season 1.

Harry Kim would have been 15 during encounter at Farpoint. Assuming the tech spread fast (which, why wouldn't it at this point), it would have been around a LONG time from his perspective.

Think of someone who was 15 in 2009. In nearly the same amount of time, smartphones have gone from nothing to everywhere.

I mean, gently caress, I'm 41 and I feel like smartphones have been around my whole life when it's only been like 11-12 years.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

I can totally buy that it's just the quality finally seeming as good as reality that was met around the start of TNG. We have VR videogames now that present interesting worlds to explore, but no one is mistaking them for reality.

The most realistic TNG episode is the one where everyone is wearing a VR headset and gushing about the game they're playing but it's quite clearly actually terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alchenar posted:

The most realistic TNG episode is the one where everyone is wearing a VR headset and gushing about the game they're playing but it's quite clearly actually terrible.

Everybody has a primal urge to put things into holes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some random species on Enterprise has early holodeck technology in the 2150s and I think it’s implied that they give it to the Klingons? This never comes up again.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Alchenar posted:

Space farmville.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I mean if there was a VR game like that, where it could get you off, I would play it too

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I kind of assumed Federation economics works a little bit like Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom: basic necessities are free and mostly automated, but if you want anything else you need to have a good reputation / do real work.

It's unlikely everyone's smoking crack, though. Maybe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

I kind of assumed Federation economics works a little bit like Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom: basic necessities are free and mostly automated, but if you want anything else you need to have a good reputation / do real work.

It's unlikely everyone's smoking crack, though. Maybe.
Clearly you haven’t watched Picard yet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some random species on Enterprise has early holodeck technology in the 2150s and I think it’s implied that they give it to the Klingons? This never comes up again.

It is funny seeing the Klingon react to it giddily and be like "I can see my house from here!"

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I always imagine that if you ask the holodeck for, say, fin-de-siècle Paris, you’re going to get some almost Disney version of it, rather than it being authentic. I’m assuming massive data loss in WW3 for some reason.

Only the Duke Phillips-vision version of films survived

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sir Lemming posted:

DS9's first season finale is so good at being a season finale. They really stuck the landing and confirmed that they understood what kind of show this could be, as well as bookending the premiere nicely. It's great to see them already putting so much thought into that sort of thing in a way that previous Treks really didn't.

MemAlpha says they were originally thinking the finale would be a crossover with TNG where they had to fight off a Cardassian invasion of the station, which would've been sooooo bad, even though it probably would've been exciting for a few minutes. It was absolutely not the right time to pull that trigger. And it very well could've sabotaged the later seasons of the show. I'm so glad they were smart about this.

In the universe where they didn't change that ending, every post TNG Star Trek finale ends with the TNG crew showing up to steal that show's finale.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Spacebump posted:

In the universe where they didn't change that ending, every post TNG Star Trek finale ends with the TNG crew showing up to steal that show's finale.

Massive flames roar within the Fire Cave. Dukat steps toward Sisko, murder in his eyes, and... the flames disappear.

Barclay walks out from behind a stalagmite holding a jury-rigged tricorder. "Not to worry; we discovered the Pah-Wraiths were vulnerable to localized inverse graviton pulses. Geordi would have come but he and Data just figured out the Jem'Hadar have prefix codes built into all their ships and they're putting some contingencies into place in case they get out of line."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Admiralty Flag posted:

Massive flames roar within the Fire Cave. Dukat steps toward Sisko, murder in his eyes, and... the flames disappear.

Barclay walks out from behind a stalagmite holding a jury-rigged tricorder. "Not to worry; we discovered the Pah-Wraiths were vulnerable to localized inverse graviton pulses. Geordi would have come but he and Data just figured out the Jem'Hadar have prefix codes built into all their ships and they're putting some contingencies into place in case they get out of line."

*SG-1 emerges, ejecting spent cartridges from their guns*

Samantha Carter: Good work, Barclay. I knew you were the one to contact.
Barclay: Anything to save the past, Samantha.

*they share a deep, intimate kiss. O'Neill nods, defeated yet approving*

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
Hi guys, I love Trek, especially TNG/DS9/Voyager, but I think the three J.J Abrams flicks (I know he didn't direct the last one) are garbage.

do u guys think JJtrek is garbage

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

*SG-1 emerges, ejecting spent cartridges from their guns*

Samantha Carter: Good work, Barclay. I knew you were the one to contact.
Barclay: Anything to save the past, Samantha.

*they share a deep, intimate kiss. O'Neill nods, defeated yet approving*

"Computer, end program."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is there a betting pool yet for what apocalyptic threat will show up for season 3?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

IbrahimSom posted:

Hi guys, I love Trek, especially TNG/DS9/Voyager, but I think the three J.J Abrams flicks (I know he didn't direct the last one) are garbage.

This isn't the GBS thread.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's interesting watching Voyager as a 40 year old attracted to women my own age and suddenly realizing Janeway is really attractive. That completely passed me by 20 years ago.

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

This isn't the GBS thread.

Gotcha.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Spacebump posted:

To be clear, the TNG crossover with Cardassians invading the station was the idea for the season 1 finale.

Time-wise it would've made sense, as both shows were on the air and they did a handful of crossovers during that season already. But storyline-wise it would've really hurt the show.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm honestly surprised they didn't do more TNG-DS9 crossovers during the two years they were both on the air. It seems like a no-brainer, but all they did was a few cameos on DS9 from secondary characters, and the brief sub-plot in Birthright where Bashir and Data meet.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Angry Salami posted:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't do more TNG-DS9 crossovers during the two years they were both on the air. It seems like a no-brainer, but all they did was a few cameos on DS9 from secondary characters, and the brief sub-plot in Birthright where Bashir and Data meet.

the era and the audience they were aiming for wasn't suitable for it. when the one Galaxy-class ship gets blown up by the Jemhadar they had people calling in to ask why they destroyed the Enterprise. imagine how much more confused people would have been if that had actually been a possibility.

if they were making it nowadays they'd have hyped crossovers every third week of course.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

IbrahimSom posted:

I love Bruce Greenwood as Pike.

"Your father commanded a starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including yours. I dare you to do better."

Unmature
May 9, 2008

V-Men posted:

I love Bruce Greenwood as Pike.

"Your father commanded a starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including yours. I dare you to do better."

The only cast member I have any issue with is Quinto. Everyone else nails it. Or at least nails that interpretation of their character.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

IbrahimSom posted:

A serious answer is that this thread is a healthy mix of people who either:
- love disco, love picard, love lds
- love disco, love picard, hate lds
- love disco, hate picard, love lds
- hate disco, love picard, love lds
- love disco, hate picard, hate lds
- hate disco, love picard, hate lds
- hate disco, hate picard, love lds
- hate disco, hate picard, hate lds

I hope that answers the question appropriately and feel free to join and fill one of those roles.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like Disco, hate Picard, love LDS

JJ is trash.

ENT is good.

These are my opinions.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I definitely think JJtrek ended up being a disappointment overall

I know a lot of people are positive on Beyond, but for me it’s just ok.

I am iffy on Disco, did not like Picard, and I liked LD

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Disco has interesting ideas, Lower Decks is funny and charming, Picard takes my favorite characters and aspects of the setting and sucks until there's nothing but a dry, withered husk remaining

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like LD, like the initial concept of Picard, and the first half of Discovery Season 2 is good.

Rest sucks, in-my-opinion.

I appreciate this particular vid, near the end (30:00) he starts listing Alex Kurtzman-JJ Abrams stylistic guidelines that are strangling the shows (Picard especially).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teJHXID-py4

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Discovery: They spent two seasons backing out of the premise that none of the writers obviously wanted to tackle after Bryan Fuller was fired. Was somewhat entertaining to watch once and had a handful of fun things in it, but I have no interest in ever rewatching. Hopefully season 3 is a hard reboot that allows it to develop into something interesting.

Picard: Some good character moments hung on a story framework that ALMOST managed to pose some interesting questions. Completely and totally poo poo the bed in the final episodes. I have no idea where they are planning on going for season 2, but I hope they have a more focused scope than entire universe threated by interdimensional robotic Cthulhu in the last 90 minutes.

Lower Decks: Just fun. Throws jokes at the wall constantly so if that's not your thing, then you won't like it. Some are groan level of fan service lazy, but there's obviously some deep level love and understanding of the tropes that work their way into stories. Really looking forward to the second season, especially after how they ended the first.