Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Suspect A posted:

Asus?!? This along with the fact that they're refreshing their B450 boards with zen 3 specifically in mind makes me worry that they'll drop support on my old B450.
I guess you have to buy an rear end motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

e: fb

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Suspect A posted:

Asus?!? This along with the fact that they're refreshing their B450 boards with zen 3 specifically in mind makes me worry that they'll drop support on my old B450.

https://twitter.com/planet3dnow/status/1316004902393442305

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SCheeseman posted:

What is that cpu doing to its socket??

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

1331 dicks into 1331 asses.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Are these new Ryzen CPUs almost guaranteed to have better perf-per-watt than my 8700k for gaming?

I'm building a backpack VR mITX PC, so keeping the wattage as reasonable as possible is paramount.

my 3950X consumes ~20W to deliver 60fps @4K in the games i play. i can't really tell you how much it consumes under VR loads because I use a wireless solution that encodes on the CPU so that cranks the power way up, unfortunately

"idle" power (with browser and a bunch of other apps running) is 5-10W

add another 10W for the rest of the SoC (memory controller, infinity fabric, etc), and you're at 35-45W + maybe 5W for the ram to drive an index at 120hz. zen3 is probably going to be another 20% better than that, so closer to 30 than 40W. poo poo's extremely power efficient.

your big power problem is gonna be the GPU, I'd say the bare minimum to play room-scale games comfortably on an index is a 1660Ti, and that's a 120W chip :rip:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Zero VGS posted:

Are these new Ryzen CPUs almost guaranteed to have better perf-per-watt than my 8700k for gaming?

I'm building a backpack VR mITX PC, so keeping the wattage as reasonable as possible is paramount.

What is the intended use case for this? For just untethered use wireless Vive Pro seems like better and easier option. If the need is portability to take it to other locations I would power would be available.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm pretty seriously looking at switching from Intel to AMD with the Zen3 launch. My last AMD CPU was a Phenom II so I'm out of the loop with regards to AMD land.

It looks like there will be no new chipsets for Zen3, is that right? It seems they would have announced something by now, and Asus just announced B550 boards to coincide with Zen3 launch.

So that said, after researching B550 vs X570, X570 seems like the way to go for Zen3, at least as of now?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kaddish posted:

I'm pretty seriously looking at switching from Intel to AMD with the Zen3 launch. My last AMD CPU was a Phenom II so I'm out of the loop with regards to AMD land.

It looks like there will be no new chipsets for Zen3, is that right? It seems they would have announced something by now, and Asus just announced B550 boards to coincide with Zen3 launch.

So that said, after researching B550 vs X570, X570 seems like the way to go for Zen3, at least as of now?

No new chipsets, correct. The vast majority of B550 and a lot of B450 boards will be getting Zen 3 support, though maybe not until Dec/Jan.

X570 is good if you need its features, but a lot of people are doing just fine with the cheaper B550 boards.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DrDork posted:

No new chipsets, correct. The vast majority of B550 and a lot of B450 boards will be getting Zen 3 support, though maybe not until Dec/Jan.

X570 is good if you need its features, but a lot of people are doing just fine with the cheaper B550 boards.

It seems like if you even want to have, say, two M.2 NVMe SSDs the X570 would be better no?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

B550 isn’t even that much cheaper.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
lmao

https://twitter.com/ExecuFix/status/1316116576844820481

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kaddish posted:

It seems like if you even want to have, say, two M.2 NVMe SSDs the X570 would be better no?

Does x570 still have a mandatory chipst fan? I think that was a major selling point for the B550. Not that the x570 is going to get hot enough for that to spin up unless you are straight up one M.2 to the other M.2 at full speed for hours. I'm on a B450 because I bought at Zen 2 launch and choices were limited. The chipset fan probably isn't an issue for you, but it is for some people and you should know it exists if it is a problem for you.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

pixaal posted:

Does x570 still have a mandatory chipst fan? I think that was a major selling point for the B550. Not that the x570 is going to get hot enough for that to spin up unless you are straight up one M.2 to the other M.2 at full speed for hours. I'm on a B450 because I bought at Zen 2 launch and choices were limited. The chipset fan probably isn't an issue for you, but it is for some people and you should know it exists if it is a problem for you.
I think ASUS announced passive cooling recently. But you basically now have a mobo that's 70%+ covered up with a heatsink.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

pixaal posted:

I gravitated to the MSI Tomahawk and thought the chipset fan was odd until I realized almost every X570 had one. I can't imagine that fan being an issue with regards to sound considering all the other fans in the case, plus the sound dampening of my case specifically.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Ish? There are a ton of B550's with 2x NVMe slots. The biggest difference between the B550 and X570 is that the chipset link is PCIe 3 for the B550 and PCIe 4 for the X570. In practice this basically doesn't matter if you're an Average Joe who just wants to do normal home user stuff and gaming, but potentially it could matter a bit in 5 years if you tend to keep stuff around that long.

Considering that you can get some X570 boards at similar prices to B550 boards, you should probably pick whichever board gives you the features you want, first, and then see if there's a meaningful difference between the X570 / B550 version prices. For $10 or $20 you might as well bump up to the X570, but it's probably not worth a $50 difference or whatever.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So the only passive X570 board is the ultra expensive Aorus Extreme? Does any other board have passive cooling? My old intel mobo from 2008 had heatpipes and copper heatsinks. The X58 chipset had 24W TDP and the motherboard was 300€.

X570 is 11W TDP, slap on some loving heatpipes and heatsinks, they cost like $5 or whatever. How loving cheap can the mobo makers be?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Considering the fan almost never runs anyways it really doesn't matter.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ihmemies posted:

So the only passive X570 board is the ultra expensive Aorus Extreme? Does any other board have passive cooling? My old intel mobo from 2008 had heatpipes and copper heatsinks. The X58 chipset had 24W TDP and the motherboard was 300€.

X570 is 11W TDP, slap on some loving heatpipes and heatsinks, they cost like $5 or whatever. How loving cheap can the mobo makers be?!
Asus have just announced the fanless ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeah, I just picked up the MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk over the weekend and the only time the PCH fan ran was during BIOS flashback. Looking at the block diagram that's in the manual, I don't expect the fan to ever run unless you're running a lot of concurrent storage or actually maxing out a PCIe Gen4 NVMe.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Kaddish posted:

Some of the board manufacturers are releasing cosmetic refreshes of their boards with occasionally some small changes to the PCB that don't actually effect anything. If you want to skip the step of updating your bios after installing your motherboard you can pick up some of those refresh boards.
The top thread pick (IMO) for X570 boards is the Aorus Elite or the Tomahawk. I personally own a Tomahawk myself and think it's an excellent board for the price. If you don't need the extras or plan to only run like 1 NVME drive with a secondary storage drive where PCIE 4.0 isn't necessary for you then you can grab a B550 board like the Tomahawk or the Strix depending on your budget.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
X570 really only matters if you need to simultaneously connect a bunch of PCIe cards, M.2 drives and SATA devices simultaneously because it has more PCIe lanes.

For any normal use B550 performs exactly the same, including games and overclocking (such as it is with zen 2).

As for price you can get a solid B550 board for like $130 now.

B550 only gets dumb with the "enthusiast" tier boards that cost more than an X570 Tomahawk WiFi or something.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sean10mm posted:

X570 really only matters if you need to simultaneously connect a bunch of PCIe cards, M.2 drives and SATA devices simultaneously because it has more PCIe lanes.

For any normal use B550 performs exactly the same, including games and overclocking (such as it is with zen 2).

B550 only gets dumb with the "enthusiast" tier boards that cost more than an X570 Tomahawk WiFi or something.

It seems like you hit a wall with even a minor "enthusiast" build though? Especially someone like me that refuses to give up on aging storage if it's still usable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

x570 has an advantage with only 2 m2 drives though, no?

I don't disagree its not worth much of a premium but I bought an x570 board because it really was barely more expensive than a b550 one.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kaddish posted:

It seems like you hit a wall with even a minor "enthusiast" build though? Especially someone like me that refuses to give up on aging storage if it's still usable.

In what sense? Yeah, it'll provide lower benchmarks if you're trying to bench two NVMe drives at the same time, but in real world scenarios you're not going to be trying to transfer 4Gbps to multiple drives at the same time.

It's the same how a NVMe vs SATA SSD are wildly different in benchmarks, and then like 1% different in actual use. Or PCIe 3 vs 4 for a GPU. Maybe it'll matter one day, but right now you gotta really engineer a niche case for it to show up.

But again, Z570 boards aren't really demanding much of a premium over B550s right now, so get whatever makes you feel better.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DrDork posted:

In what sense? Yeah, it'll provide lower benchmarks if you're trying to bench two NVMe drives at the same time, but in real world scenarios you're not going to be trying to transfer 4Gbps to multiple drives at the same time.

It's the same how a NVMe vs SATA SSD are wildly different in benchmarks, and then like 1% different in actual use. Or PCIe 3 vs 4 for a GPU. Maybe it'll matter one day, but right now you gotta really engineer a niche case for it to show up.

But again, Z570 boards aren't really demanding much of a premium over B550s right now, so get whatever makes you feel better.

I see. I think my misunderstanding revolves around how PCIe lanes are actually used, or not used.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Basically the choice between X570 and B550 is which version of PCIE lanes the interconnect between the chipset and the CPU is. For B550 thats pcie v3, for X570 its pcie v4 which allows pcie v4. That could absolutely be a bottleneck for loading a bunch of stuff off the chipset's m2 slot into (V)RAM as happens when starting a game. That bottle neck is going to be pretty slight but if you can get rid of it for the next couple of years (when even faster drives are available) for like $10 then why not.

The difference grows the more stuff you have hanging off the chipset pcie lanes and USB3 ports but odds are you're just talking about a second m2 drive.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Please Christ just be Microsoft Surface specials

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Oh my loving god lmao this is the loving worst.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hobbesmaster posted:

Basically the choice between X570 and B550 is which version of PCIE lanes the interconnect between the chipset and the CPU is. For B550 thats pcie v3, for X570 its pcie v4 which allows pcie v4. That could absolutely be a bottleneck for loading a bunch of stuff off the chipset's m2 slot into (V)RAM as happens when starting a game. That bottle neck is going to be pretty slight but if you can get rid of it for the next couple of years (when even faster drives are available) for like $10 then why not.

No game as of yet takes advantage of PCIe 3.0 bandwidth over sata, much less 4.0. It's possible that games in the future will, but the pace of what tech the games actually use lags way way behind when the tech comes out. Personally I expect the PC ports of games made for the nextgen consoles to require "a SSD", not a PCIe 4.0 nvme drive, and I doubt the speed of that secondary m.2 port will matter over the lifetime of the system.

Also the price difference between B550s and X570s is not $10 anymore, that was only true when they first came out. Right now the boards that overlap in price are high-end B550s and low-end X570s, and the low-end X570 will generally have some cuts to features as well by comparison. (Lack of a usb-c front panel connector, not having cpu-less bios flash, general paucity of USB ports are common drawbacks for the cheapest X570s.) How much those matter is also very personal though, some people have lots of USB stuff and some people pretty much have a mouse & keybaord.

All that said, the aorus elite is currently on sale for $160 which is pretty tasty for a good board that has all the fixin's.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I had no intention of going for X750 until I looked at my track record of buying one 1TB SSD every year or so and cast ahead 6 years.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Is AMD contractually obligated to be loving self-sabotaging with naming schemes? Like...why? This is absolutely more effort just to confuse the layman because, again, we're talking about something like 20% difference in per clock performance and apparently a 24% performance per watt improvement, the 5600U will bury the 5500U. Yeah sure they all have SMT but lmao.

Just...make them Athlons or something, what the hell.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
"man, I wish AMD would stop using SMT to segment their mobile processors"

a wrinkled finger on the monkey's paw slowly curls closed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What the gently caress AMD?

Why can't even's be mobile, odd's be desktop?

Or just use the SAME loving NAMING SCHEME FOR BOTH AND ADD A "M" AT THE END?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There's a joke in here about the good old days of the Nvidia GTX 8XX series of GPUs or something

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NewFatMike posted:

There's a joke in here about the good old days of the Nvidia GTX 8XX series of GPUs or something

Waiting for Zen 4MX chips that are really Zen 3.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Has anyone heard about plans for new mITX motherboards coming out with Zen 3? I need TB3 for reasons, so right now there is exactly one motherboard option for me, and I keep hoping that they'll update it with a second M.2 slot like their otherwise identical Intel version has. But if there's no reason to think that new boards of any sort (other than the B550 refreshes) are gonna pop up in the next two months, I'm thinking I might as well just buy it now from Amazon given that the return window runs 'till January, and can just have them price-match any discounts between now and then and not have to worry about it randomly going out of stock.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

just buy a thunderbolt daughter card
that's what i did for my TRX40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

just buy a thunderbolt daughter card
that's what i did for my TRX40

Can't when you're dealing with mITX and its whopping one PCIe slot (which will be going to the GPU), otherwise that absolutely would be the sane solution.

The case I've got also doesn't really have support for bifurcation, and AFAIK there aren't any PCIe 4.0 bifurcation options yet anyhow, so if I went with a PCIe 3 split then the GPU would be down to effectively PCIe 3 x8, which is slow enough to start actually impacting performance. And I'd also have the NIC just kinda hanging out unsupported in the case, which I could probably get around by drilling a mounting hole to a wall somewhere. Won't really know that part until I get a 3080 and can actually size things out.

I mean, I'm probably gonna end up buying the WD D5 anyhow, which would give me the additional option of either getting a TB-based SSD or cracking the D5 open to see if I can shove a SSD inside it. And then I'mma throw a SFP+ to TB3 adapter onto the thing because I can.

Or I guess I could just slum it with a 2TB SSD to begin with and finally bother going through with shoving less-often (never) played Steam games onto my NAS if I need to, as a 10Gbps link there should be just fine for providing sufficient speeds for games that haven't been booted in 6+ months.