Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is Clonezilla still the simplest option to backup a running system's OS drive against hardware failure? User data would be handled separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Is Clonezilla still the simplest option to backup a running system's OS drive against hardware failure? User data would be handled separately.

rsync -a --backup --backup-dir=backup /dev/sda1 destination/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

isn't the standard practice to have it set up to be cloned off as a new system at a moments notice nowadays?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Methanar posted:

rsync -a --backup --backup-dir=backup /dev/sda1 destination/

That won't cover boot stuff (:imunfunny:) like grub and such though, right?

So if the OS drive died I would have to install a fresh linux and then rsync back everything on top (will that work on a running system?).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

That won't cover boot stuff (:imunfunny:) like grub and such though, right?

So if the OS drive died I would have to install a fresh linux and then rsync back everything on top (will that work on a running system?).

You should probably do that anyway like the person above you said. Just copying the boot folder might not work either, for example if you have that on an EFI boot partition.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
What would people recommend for the base host o/s for a machine I’m going to want to run a bunch of virtual machines and docker containers on at home.

It would be an old laptop with a lot of ram connected via Ethernet and I’m assuming kvm/qemu would be a good virtual machine runtime/micro-kernel no matter what the o/s is?

I want to bridge all of the machines as if they were on the LAN. Even the docker containers will be using macvlan.

Does it matter much? Or should I just throw Ubuntu server LTS on it and call it a day?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

xtal posted:

You should probably do that anyway like the person above you said. Just copying the boot folder might not work either, for example if you have that on an EFI boot partition.

Maybe... To add some more details, the use case is that I have a Pi 4 which is notorious for killing SD cards.

While all the actual user data is on external storage, and the various configuration files are backed up, I think it's now worth my time to take a full image of the SD card, so if it fails I can just burn the last image on a new card and bring it back online, instead of having to reinstall the OS and manually reapply all the various configurations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

namlosh posted:

What would people recommend for the base host o/s for a machine I’m going to want to run a bunch of virtual machines and docker containers on at home.

It would be an old laptop with a lot of ram connected via Ethernet and I’m assuming kvm/qemu would be a good virtual machine runtime/micro-kernel no matter what the o/s is?

I want to bridge all of the machines as if they were on the LAN. Even the docker containers will be using macvlan.

Does it matter much? Or should I just throw Ubuntu server LTS on it and call it a day?

It shouldn't matter much, I'm using fedora for that because my work is redhat shop, just depends if you like debian/ubuntu or redhat/centos/fedora. Also redhat has their own docker drop in replacement podman.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Perplx posted:

It shouldn't matter much, I'm using fedora for that because my work is redhat shop, just depends if you like debian/ubuntu or redhat/centos/fedora. Also redhat has their own docker drop in replacement podman.

Ok cool, thanks.

I’m torn because I’m sort of more comfortable with Debian stuff, but work uses redhat, so even though I never really have to touch the servers being a developer, there might be some good come out of getting used to redhat/Centos/fedora.

Interesting you mention podman... work is piloting openshift right now. Not sure of the exact relationship between the two containers techs but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and put fedora on it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

Maybe... To add some more details, the use case is that I have a Pi 4 which is notorious for killing SD cards.

While all the actual user data is on external storage, and the various configuration files are backed up, I think it's now worth my time to take a full image of the SD card, so if it fails I can just burn the last image on a new card and bring it back online, instead of having to reinstall the OS and manually reapply all the various configurations.

Now is a good excuse to learn Ansible

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

namlosh posted:

Interesting you mention podman... work is piloting openshift right now. Not sure of the exact relationship between the two containers techs but I thought it was worth bringing up.
podman is a dropin replacement for docker, in most respects. The main external difference is that it doesn't need to run a root daemon.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

xtal posted:

Now is a good excuse to learn Ansible

I skipped the era of configuration management and moved on straight to containers, I'd rather not have to learn it all just for a homelab box, thanks :)

minato posted:

podman is a dropin replacement for docker, in most respects. The main external difference is that it doesn't need to run a root daemon.

It also lacks docker-compose. There's a project to write a drop-in replacement but it's still under development and very far from production ready.

That's important because there's a lot of space between "simple enough that I can launch individual 'podman run' commands manually" and "complex enough that I must dehumanize myself and face tp K8S".

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, podman is a wonderful replacement for docker itself, but the wider infrastructure around it is still a heavy WIP

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cockpit is included with fedora if that's your thing (website dashboard thing)

if you're comfortable with debian then learning fedora is easier the second time around because you know what you want to do with it, imo. and eventually you sort of build up a linux dictionary in your mind that you can use for say, arch wiki stuff and figure out what suggestions make sense and what are BS, and how much effort everything takes to accomplish.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Thx, that’s good to know... I’ll take a look. I did actually research some of the web front ends for vm management. Lots of choices!

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

PXE it?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Not a bad option, but the only candidate for a PXE server in my house is my gaming desktop and I wouldn't rely on it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Not a bad option, but the only candidate for a PXE server in my house is my gaming desktop and I wouldn't rely on it.

Ah, that makes sense. A NAS is nice for that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have an X DISPLAY gotcha that I want to fix once-and-for-all because I have to remember the manual set up whenever the machine is power cycled every few months.

I have a QA rig that's kicking off some stuff that has a UI component. It'll block up if it can't find a display. A specific user account is starting up a service to take in the QA jobs when the machine boots. If left untouched, the QA jobs will fail thanks to "Can't open display: :0.0." I have to log into the machine as that user and keep a session going to appease it. Furthermore, that has to be the first so I get :0.

Is there a way to get that account a DISPLAY going by default? Can it be done with the session still being locked? I don't want to necessarily have it log in and then be open and available.

PS: I'm pretty sure what I described is how it's happening but if something smells different, then maybe it is. This comes up once every few months, which is enough time for me to forget and have to relearn what the hell.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have an X DISPLAY gotcha that I want to fix once-and-for-all because I have to remember the manual set up whenever the machine is power cycled every few months.

I have a QA rig that's kicking off some stuff that has a UI component. It'll block up if it can't find a display. A specific user account is starting up a service to take in the QA jobs when the machine boots. If left untouched, the QA jobs will fail thanks to "Can't open display: :0.0." I have to log into the machine as that user and keep a session going to appease it. Furthermore, that has to be the first so I get :0.

Is there a way to get that account a DISPLAY going by default? Can it be done with the session still being locked? I don't want to necessarily have it log in and then be open and available.

PS: I'm pretty sure what I described is how it's happening but if something smells different, then maybe it is. This comes up once every few months, which is enough time for me to forget and have to relearn what the hell.

Have you tried just setting the DISPLAY variable prior to launching the app? Or am I misunderstanding exactly what you need?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You can create a virtual display with Xvfb. I've used it on headless servers before.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

RFC2324 posted:

Have you tried just setting the DISPLAY variable prior to launching the app? Or am I misunderstanding exactly what you need?

Maybe you're misunderstanding. Who knows. I'll just explain some more regardless.

The QA agent is a service that launches on boot as user foo. Xorg comes up but it just has a login prompt. If I were to, say, SSH into the box as foo and try to run xclock, it can't connect to :0.0. If I login to the local X session as foo then that SSH session can start xclock.

Of course, I'm not trying to start xclock in practice. The real thing I'm trying to do is launch VMs in VirtualBox for my QA. I don't even need VirtualBox's GUI, but I need its half-assed display acceleration. That acceleration pukes unless there's a display properly set up.

Spaz Medicine posted:

You can create a virtual display with Xvfb. I've used it on headless servers before.

I never heard of this before. So this is what the cool kids do? Just googling around makes it sound like people use it literally for this situation lol.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 19, 2020

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
So I'm not really familiar with the situation or the particulars of GPL vs other licenses. How fucky is the current kernel 5.9/Nvidia graphics card situation? Should I be avoiding kernel updates until that gets sorted out?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I finally finished the FreeBSD status report for July-September, 2020.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

unimportantguy posted:

So I'm not really familiar with the situation or the particulars of GPL vs other licenses. How fucky is the current kernel 5.9/Nvidia graphics card situation? Should I be avoiding kernel updates until that gets sorted out?

Apparently it only impacts CUDA and OpenCL, not the actual graphics driver.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh, that's you? Thanks for doing them, they're always interesting reading, and look like a fair bit of work to put together.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Kassad posted:

Apparently it only impacts CUDA and OpenCL, not the actual graphics driver.

Oh hey an excuse I can make for my shameful lack of folding@home progress. Thanks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Oh, that's you? Thanks for doing them, they're always interesting reading, and look like a fair bit of work to put together.
Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here.
For the most part, I like doing them - they're not as much work as one might think, mostly involving entries being sent in via email or a pull request, then grammar and proofreading, and fixing up the syntax of MarkDown so that it more easily converts to DocBook SGML/XML.
Fixing syntax will eventually go away, because the FreeBSD website (not the design, but the language it's written in) is being converted from DocBook to Hugo/AsciiDoctor which is MarkDown-compatible.
And despite me being the only one presently on the team, the bus factor is non-existent because the whole process is documented (although admittedly you have to know where to look) - and I'm not really alone, since there's a bunch of people helping and doing reviews of the final result.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I guess this might be more of a question about disk management in general, but I have two spare 256 GB SSDs and I'm looking to install Fedora on them. I know in Windows I can make a "striped" volume that will make one logical drive out of both SSDs, so I'm assuming I can do the same in Fedora. What if I wanted to install Fedora on a striped volume, though? Would I need to boot from the live USB, create the volume, and then install Fedora afterwards? The install options also seem to only list actual hard drives and not the volumes, so I'm not sure if the striped partition would show up there once I do figure out how to create it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i vomit kittens posted:

I guess this might be more of a question about disk management in general, but I have two spare 256 GB SSDs and I'm looking to install Fedora on them. I know in Windows I can make a "striped" volume that will make one logical drive out of both SSDs, so I'm assuming I can do the same in Fedora. What if I wanted to install Fedora on a striped volume, though? Would I need to boot from the live USB, create the volume, and then install Fedora afterwards? The install options also seem to only list actual hard drives and not the volumes, so I'm not sure if the striped partition would show up there once I do figure out how to create it.

You will want to use LVM to do it

or ZFS

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

It was actually a lot easier than I thought because it turns out if you just select both hard drives in the Fedora installer it will automatically use LVM to stripe them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Random-rear end question, somewhat related to Linux:

How do you guys keep all your USB drives straight?

Which one has CentOS 7? CentOS 8? Fedora? Ubuntu? VMware ESX?

I guess I could find some cheap ones and just stick a Brother label on them, but some of mine are those tiny Sandisk drives

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I gave up years ago and keep a single usb key, and dd over the top of it with whatever image solves my current problem.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

I guess I could find some cheap ones and just stick a Brother label on them, but some of mine are those tiny Sandisk drives

Ugh. I haven't figured a good way to handle it except keep buying new ones and keep unopened drives on hand so I know they are blank. I keep thinking of ways to try to organize them, but it usually ends up with a trial and error process of plug in, mount, look at the files, unmount, rinse and repeat.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xzzy posted:

I gave up years ago and keep a single usb key, and dd over the top of it with whatever image solves my current problem.

this is the way to do it

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I have a single large USB drive with both the latest win10 ISO and about a dozen different linux ISO, all of them bootable at the same time.

Ventoy is loving amazing. Here's the user guide:

1) Install Ventoy on a USB drive
2) Copy however many ISO you have in the main folder
3) Boot from the drive and Ventoy will let you pick which ISO you want to boot from

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NihilCredo posted:

I have a single large USB drive with both the latest win10 ISO and about a dozen different linux ISO, all of them bootable at the same time.

3) Boot from the drive and Ventoy will let you pick which ISO you want to boot from

I'll try that since I have a 64GB drive

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

xzzy posted:

I have three usb sticks, same model but different colour, and it's still this, because I never find the right image either way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

NihilCredo posted:

I usually use YUMI, tho I think I had a problem last time I went to use it.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Its a little more complicated than Ventoy, but has nice menus and will assist in downloading ISOs for you