Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i'll have you know i am a captain of industry and a boat so therefore :sureboat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

according to the article it's one Carnival sold off dirt cheap in desperation to try to stay afloat (heh) after covid hit so yeah probably

What a sad ending for the Pacific Dawn.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

rjmccall posted:

the standard boat story of standing in a cold shower ripping up hundreds but under a sewer sluice and holding down the minus button on your bank account

this got a hearty lolmarf out of me

+changetip rjmccall 1 bïtcoïn

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shame Boy posted:

i wonder if he knows it doesn't come with a free captain, and he's not allowed to be the captain himself

he definitely doesn't know that, does he

p. sure he is an expert in admiralty law, and your objections have a distinctly gold-fringed feel to them. are you even the postmaster general? smdh

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Still marveling at how a bitcoin guy wants the raft from snow crash to be real and also made from a carnival cruise ship

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Still marveling at how a bitcoin guy wants the raft from snow crash to be real and also made from a carnival cruise ship

...that's also 29 years old.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m surprised they gave her a second glance then

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

i wonder if he knows it doesn't come with a free captain, and he's not allowed to be the captain himself

he definitely doesn't know that, does he
I can't find a single image of that homeless dude in the Versalife lab cells who says "I'm the captain here!" and almost feel the need to reinstall the game for it now.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
do you think people are still making GBS threads on the lathes and living under the stairs at that makerspace? :allears:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
who poo poo on a lathe and why

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

AlbieQuirky posted:

do you think people are still making GBS threads on the lathes and living under the stairs at that makerspace? :allears:

"Somebody wanted to put some of their stuff in the DJ booth. Some other people complained. Yet other people called those people over controlling. The door to the room was covered over with drywall, and now you need a ladder to climb in through the window. "

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

look up the ol' noisebridge thread, it's a trip

basically: it's a san francisco makerspace with chronic libertarian nerd brain syndrome, so they did stuff like spend $2000 a month on a dedicated fiber connection for a TOR exit node that resulted in the FBI coming to visit them every other week, try to hack the building elevator, try to sleep on top of the building elevator, and get constantly invaded by crazy people they couldn't effectively get rid of because of how their organizational structure worked.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shumagorath posted:

it turned their stomach

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually to start, just check out their wiki of people who are banned:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/86

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

man there's so many new ones since the last time i looked :allears:

quote:

Andrew was behaving extremely erratically, with delusions and hallucinations about those around him. He accused one person of trying to reprogram him, made multiple racially charged comments towards others, would not leave people alone when asked, and often could not perceive their words when they were speaking to him because of his hallucinations about what they were saying to him. He also tore up the anti-harassment policy and was extremely difficult to remove from the space because of his inability to recognize what was being asked of him, and because of all the stuff he had accumulated around him physically.

he built a fort out of random crap so they couldn't get to him, good job crazy guy

quote:

Jeff was asked to leave Noisebridge after many conversations. He kept bringing sketchy phones into Noisebridge, thought to be stolen. He was asked about a phone stolen in Noisebridge. He continued to change the OS's on computers after being told not to do so. In all of these occasions he behaved in ways that made people at Noisebridge very uncomfortable. Jeff is no longer welcome at Noisebridge. June-2017

jeff kept bringing in stolen phones, which we didn't really like, but the last straw was that he wouldn't stop installing gentoo everywhere

more appropriate to this thread:

quote:

Karriem attends meetups claiming to be an angel investor, giving people the impression that he's of significance in tech and in particular in hacker spaces, including Noisebridge. He claims to be extremely knowledgeable about various things, but when he's engaged on them, he quickly departs the conversation. Additionally, he has been hostile toward members of the community trying to address issues with him. Still tries to come in occasionally as of July 2019 (usually when there is a crypto-currency related meetup happening).

crypto meetups attract creepy scammers?? why i never :monocle:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rjmccall posted:

i bet you can buy a cruise ship for real cheap in the same way that you can buy a castle, i.e. it's an unending money sucking pit that takes a staff of dozens just to hold off the constant deterioration

the standard boat story of standing in a cold shower ripping up hundreds but under a sewer sluice and holding down the minus button on your bank account

i look forward to the story three years from now of an abandoned cruise ship drifting in and out of panama's territorial waters getting taken over by squatters

there was a story in gizmodo or something about how cruise lines are selling the ships for about $4m for scrap

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ships not in use are a floating liability that are doing their best to become underwater liabilities. the fact they now are underwater does not reduce your liability and in fact may increase it. any idiot who gets a ship without figuring out how to make it at least revenue neutral deserves everything they get, which is why i'm super excited to see what happens to this thing in six months

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ok last one, this is old but i never saw it somehow and i love it:

quote:

Matt carries a backpack full of shower rings twisted with tangle therapy tangles. He has converted his brain into a computer and is using it to solve the tangles with an algorithm. He is quiet and not aggressive, but very fixated on his tangles and can't form a completed thought, continuing on until you interrupt him.
Persistently tell Matt that "you have to leave now" and walk him out. He will go about 5 feet at a time but is not aggressive.

i think matt might actually be a mentat, i wanna meet matt. he hasn't been seen since 2015 though so i assume he has ascended to the point where his body actually became bitcoin

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kw0134 posted:

ships not in use are a floating liability that are doing their best to become underwater liabilities. the fact they now are underwater does not reduce your liability and in fact may increase it. any idiot who gets a ship without figuring out how to make it at least revenue neutral deserves everything they get, which is why i'm super excited to see what happens to this thing in six months

it says they're not taking delivery until nov 4 so plenty of time left for the whole deal to vanish in a puff of smoke, which I imagine it will

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

actually to start, just check out their wiki of people who are banned:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/86

LOL loving hell the Rayc punchline

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

wait are you telling me that cruise ships need FUEL?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Shame Boy posted:

Matt carries a backpack full of shower rings twisted with tangle therapy tangles. He has converted his brain into a computer and is using it to solve the tangles with an algorithm. He is quiet and not aggressive, but very fixated on his tangles and can't form a completed thought, continuing on until you interrupt him.
Persistently tell Matt that "you have to leave now" and walk him out. He will go about 5 feet at a time but is not aggressive.

quote:

Jeanine Otter
Used Noisebridge's public computer and printer facilities to print at least 25 anti-gentrification flyers featuring the phrase “die techie scum”. Torrie asked Jeanine and two friends to leave and not ever return.

oh poo poo, my people

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

wait are you telling me that cruise ships need FUEL?

(slow pan along a daisy chain of household extension cords floating on various, dubiously buoyant household items, leading to shore)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i wanted to get more info on the bitcoin cruise boat so i put "bitcoin boat" into google and instead wound up here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7jg9u8/looking_for_suggestions_on_a_bitcoin_related_name/

quote:

Looking for suggestions on a Bitcoin related name for a boat.
Any clever ideas? I want to show my appreciation to the technology and the incredible community that helped me be able to get one. :)

quote:

[deleted] 3 points · 2 years ago
Deez Blocks

starslab 1 point · 2 years ago
Floating tulip

iwantanewusername 1 point · 2 years ago
Bit bit mcboat bitty

iwantanewusername 1 point · 2 years ago
Or bitty bitty boat mcbitty

ITTY BITTY BITCOIN ITTY BITTY BOAT

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

name it no sexcopter

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

submarine loan

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

on its maiden voyage the ship was lost as all the passengers filled their cabins with mining rigs causing the ship to burn through all its fuel somewhere mid pacific

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh good they have a website for it set up, written like they're already on the boat, also with all the text embedded in images just to be loving annoying

https://ocean.builders/cruiseship/

yep that's where i want to headquarter my business, a place employees physically can't commute to full of greedy weirdos and no legal system

worried about catching "the flu"? well you have the option of wearing a mask, social distancing, or taking that bullshit trump drug to own the libs. problem solved.

we grow our own food on this boat we don't own yet, and we also plan to illegally commercially fish in panama's exclusive economic zone! also there's a juice bar!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also please source your ocean sourced fish only from responsibly sourced local ocean sourced sources

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

if there's one thing organic farming loves it's salty sea air

looking forward to taking a walk through the floating orchards that provide the fruit for their juice bar

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I guess we might actually find out who cleans the toilets in galt's gulch
"galt's gulch" will be the nickname for the literal river of human feces on one of the lower decks caused by them hiring the only plumber they could find who takes bitcon [and wasn't actually a plumber at all and definitely didn't know anything about large ships]

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

e: make sure to check out the other sub pages of that site.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 14, 2020

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
oh boy, seasteaders

so i went looking for my collation pdf "In Golden Waters", but the external drive i stored it and the original txt files i used is dead as a door nail and my old mediafire link seems to be deceased as well

but googling it i did find that apparently there's a tvtropes page for it https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/InGoldenWaters

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shame Boy posted:

look up the ol' noisebridge thread, it's a trip

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687461

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what does the MS stand for? Mining Ship?

Erenthal posted:

oh boy, seasteaders

so i went looking for my collation pdf "In Golden Waters", but the external drive i stored it and the original txt files i used is dead as a door nail and my old mediafire link seems to be deceased as well

but googling it i did find that apparently there's a tvtropes page for it https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/InGoldenWaters

I have it but I don't know where the best place to upload it would be

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

what does the MS stand for? Mining Ship?

I have it but I don't know where the best place to upload it would be

thanks, i did find it just now by googling a bit more

https://baixardoc.com/documents/in-golden-waters-tales-from-the-seastead-5cabaf6a96413

still a really fun read, that thread was great

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Erenthal posted:

oh boy, seasteaders

tvtropes people are the weirdest goddamn people

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what

quote:

Smart Luxury
The SeaPod will come equipped with an assortment of modern technology with the goal of self sustainability from water catchment, fresh water maker to your own energy system to power your home. We will be adding smart home technology to modern the various systems in your home and give you up to date information on your phone any time of day. Combining luxury, technology and sustainability our homes are one of a kind.

these are certainly words in an order that resembles english

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 14, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh yeah you can also buy hypothetical sea pods which have a whopping 800 square feet of living space and can survive a whole 3 meter wave height, i'm sure that's enough right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

do they each come with a dedicated room for monkey knife fights or do those happen in a specialized pod?