Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Fartington Butts posted:

This is a hella good take that I never even considered. It explains why every time Oraetta encounters Ethelrida (I had to look up this name) she makes a disparaging remark about her.

The names on this show are insane. No wonder I can't remember any of them.

I can't remember doing this for any other show but I've been assigning nicknames until I learn the actual names. The crime boss is Pipsqueak, the aggressive Italian introduced in E2 is Farva, the Irish guy who shot his father is Q, Raylan, etc.

e- "If a man's pud needed a tug, would this be the place for said tuggin'?" I never thought we'd get a bonus season of Justified, but here we are. :perfect:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
god the names are so WILD

I also love that the Malvo/Varga-type and the Wacky Minnesotan are the same person this year

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- "If a man's pud needed a tug, would this be the place for said tuggin'?" I never thought we'd get a bonus season of Justified, but here we are. :perfect:

Goddammn that line was so good. Mormon Givens mostly annoyed me up to that point.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Sorry, gonna double post here... but does anyone else think it's weird that Smart Girl met Nurse Ipecac for the first time at that funeral? If they're literally across the street from each other wouldn't they have met already? Or at least seen each other.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

Sorry, gonna double post here... but does anyone else think it's weird that Smart Girl met Nurse Ipecac for the first time at that funeral? If they're literally across the street from each other wouldn't they have met already? Or at least seen each other.

Nurse lady’s probably new to the area what with her being a prolific serial killer who knows how to blackmail her former employers into giving her good referrals. Seems like a trait someone who has to move frequently would employ.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
This is why you gotta communicate with your wife in a marriage, so you don't end up giving the mobster you're in debt to money that was stolen from him covered with clues of it's origin, it's textbook.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!
Watched the first couple of episodes and it hasn't really grabbed me the way early episodes did in the previous 3 seasons, but I'll probably end up watching the whole series through regardless at some point. I will say that Jessie Buckley, who I was previously unfamiliar with before S4, is my new celebrity crush (:allears:); and I am looking forward to seeing what Mormon Raylan Givens gets up to in the show.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watched the first couple of episodes and it hasn't really grabbed me the way early episodes did in the previous 3 seasons, but I'll probably end up watching the whole series through regardless at some point. I will say that Jessie Buckley, who I was previously unfamiliar with before S4, is my new celebrity crush (:allears:); and I am looking forward to seeing what Mormon Raylan Givens gets up to in the show.

Oh, he's going to die horribly. It's Fargo, after all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I will say that Jessie Buckley, who I was previously unfamiliar with before S4, is my new celebrity crush (:allears:)

You should watch i’m thinking of ending things on Netflix

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Did anyone else hear what sounded like a hot overhead mic getting loud in the mix from time to time in the last episode? I'm like 20 minutes in on YouTube TV and it's driving me loving nuts

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Whatever the sound is, it's intentional.....I think it's been going on in every episode. Sometimes it sounds like a car or a train going by very near by and other times it's just a rumbling. Also when Chris Rock's wife took her coat off it sounded way too loud.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

poo poo, I was hoping Doctor Senator would make it through the series, or at least the greater bulk of it :smith:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jerusalem posted:

poo poo, I was hoping Doctor Senator would make it through the series, or at least the greater bulk of it :smith:

Yeah, that's a big loss. On the other hand Chris Rock's line about getting a 'mmmhmmm' was perfection.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm losing the plot but one thing I can tell you is that the music is fabulous this series

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Haven't watched the latest but just wanted to say that I'm very glad the "previously on" is just "antecedently" for the season and not being swapped with other thesaurus words the way Legion was.
Edit: Okay watched it... sad that there was so little Death Nurse. I'm starting to feel a little bit of a lurch now that we're on ep 5 and this is as far as we've gotten but hopefully with that episode ender things pick up in the second half of the season.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 21, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
So far this my favorite season since S1. S2 and S3 took a loooong time to grow on me. They were more "burn after reading" incompetence instead of Fargo earnestness. This one brings back the earnest nature.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jerusalem posted:

This scene was unintentionally hilarious to me, because his death expression made me think of the "poo poo in your pants" mentioned in the conversation

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
RIP Doctor Senator. He was great but he had way too much integrity to make it out of the story.

More Death Nurse!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, that's a big loss. On the other hand Chris Rock's line about getting a 'mmmhmmm' was perfection.

Funny line but overall I really feel Rock's performance is a huge dud compared to main actors on previous seasons

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really enjoying Chris Rock, I especially liked the scene between him and Odis during the raid where he kept his cool but was still able to demonstrate his power/knowledge and just how strong his position actually is that he - a black man in the 1950s - is able to effectively talk poo poo to a cop with a gun on him. I love how it is counterparted with him blowing his stack at home with his family and having to scream and yell to get his way.

Also that entire scene with Calamita trying to intimidate Doctor Senator, all I could think was that beautiful scene from earlier in the season where Senator talks about spending six weeks with Goebbels, and how the likes of Calamita and Gaetano must seem like complete jokes in comparison. Ironically, if either of them had listened to Violante they might have known that this whole gambit was going to go nowhere fast. That's another aspect I'm enjoying about this season, in a kind of quasi-Elmore Leonard way: I have always loved crime stories where characters aren't as smart as they think they are but also aren't quite as dumb as other characters think they are either. Gaetano is stupid and reckless but also very dangerous and shows that he can think or at least put on a show of restraint when necessary. Rabbi is humble and downtrodden but also seems to have a deeper game running based on survival at all costs. Josto is a weird little man with an inferiority complex but also understands when to get violent and when to take a step back or be more calculating. None of them are as clever as they think they are, but all of them have some deeper reserve of talent/intelligence/skill that others underestimate, and it makes it really fascinating when characters start bouncing off each other, especially now that the subplots are really strongly tying together after the first few introductory episodes.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really enjoying Chris Rock, I especially liked the scene between him and Odis during the raid where he kept his cool but was still able to demonstrate his power/knowledge and just how strong his position actually is that he - a black man in the 1950s - is able to effectively talk poo poo to a cop with a gun on him. I love how it is counterparted with him blowing his stack at home with his family and having to scream and yell to get his way.
Oh, I think the part is perfectly well written. I just feel that Rock - for all his charisma in other settings - was cast in a role that doesn't play to his strengths and that his performance comes across as rigid and self-serious. Especially compared to the guy portraying Doctor Senator.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I think the season finally clicked into place for me here on episode 5. I don't know why, but I think just everything came together in a way that really works for me now. Lots of little speeches about America, lots of twisty crime drama, and lots of little surprises and Oh poo poo moments. I think the huge cast and complex "machinery" of the plot just took a little bit of time to get going, but I feel like I'm finally seeing what this is season is trying to get across and I like it!

Incidentally, I just finished Lovecraft Country (amazing, loved it, mama mia!) and it's 100% about race in America, using pulp horror to talk about Blackness. Fargo S4 is also very much about race in America, using comedy crime thriller to talk about it in a different way. It's been an interesting contrast.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

PerilPastry posted:

Oh, I think the part is perfectly well written. I just feel that Rock - for all his charisma in other settings - was cast in a role that doesn't play to his strengths and that his performance comes across as rigid and self-serious. Especially compared to the guy portraying Doctor Senator.

I'm enjoying him being a straight-man. He's a bit of a highlight of the season for me. Part of it, I think, is that Chris Rock still shines through so it creates the illusion of depth beyond what is just presented. It's like that thing you'd do in elementary school where you put together two drawings to create an image that looks 3D.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Lol, Treehorn trucking

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Lol, Treehorn trucking

Guess I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I don't remember past seasons of Fargo being so Coen Brothers self-referential, aside from the actual movie Fargo, of course. Treehorn Trucking is a nice subtle nod that I don't mind, but the Outlaws straight up re-enacting Raising Arizona kind of took me out of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They had tons of little references throughout them :psyduck:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm getting slight Miller's Crossing vibes from Rabbi.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Milo and POTUS posted:

They had tons of little references throughout them :psyduck:

I haven't seen the previous seasons in a few years so maybe I just forgot them all. :shrug:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The first half of this season has really dragged for me. They spent a couple episodes too many putting the pieces in place. I hope it picks up.

I really liked the first two seasons, but trailed off Season 3 after a couple episodes and didn’t get back to it. How’s that regarded? Worth finishing?

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

the gently caress is up w/ the ghost or w/e in the funeral home?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Dinosaurs! posted:

The first half of this season has really dragged for me. They spent a couple episodes too many putting the pieces in place. I hope it picks up.

I really liked the first two seasons, but trailed off Season 3 after a couple episodes and didn’t get back to it. How’s that regarded? Worth finishing?

I also was starting to sour on s3 but I felt like it picked back up, and by the end, it became prob my favorite\

this one is giving me deja vu, but I would say it does seem to be taking a bit longer. I'll give Hawley the benefit of the doubt tho, he's definitely earned some goodwill

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

Dinosaurs! posted:

I enjoyed S3 quite a bit, I'd definitely say it's worth revisiting.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

This season has just way too many characters. They really needed to consolidate a bunch of the side characters into three or four characters.

Dinosaurs! posted:

After the midpoint I was really engaged in Season 3 but the last episode felt really deflating.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Season 3 was bad enough that I'm only reading the thread for season 4 now, instead of watching the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The final scene of season 3 is one of the best single scenes in the whole show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Season 3 owned, sorry.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 3 was bad enough that I'm only reading the thread for season 4 now, instead of watching the show.

Season 3 started out ...maybe not bad, but just unrelentingly grim and unpleasant. Season 3 is also the best season - it gets amazing. Maybe my favorite villain and rivalry in television (top 5 anyway).

Edit: Season 4 is really sucking so far though (3 episodes in).

False fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 28, 2020

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Was Antoon Dumini (the guy who almost shot Satchel but decided against it before being killed by Rabbi Milligan in Episode 6) prominently featured in any previous episodes? I can see him in the cast list for other episodes, but didn't recognize him. I thought his story arc and performance in the most recent episode had strong elements of tragic irony, but might have hit harder if we had seen more of him earlier on.

Ballz posted:

I don't remember past seasons of Fargo being so Coen Brothers self-referential, aside from the actual movie Fargo, of course.
I can recall feeling like Season 2 might have leaned into this more heavily than the rest. Nick Offerman's character was essentially a smarter version of Walter Sobchak, right down to hanging out in a bowling alley with a Donny type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Every season of Fargo has owned including this one and I don't know why people itt are being lovely untowards it