Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I must be loyle to my laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

As she walks away, everything goes into slow-mo and the audio drops away before ending on a literal I swear to God freeze-frame. Perhaps you could argue it was about trying to capture Carmela's own frozen, slowed down panic over what she said... but NOTHING excuses the wipe that transitions to the next scene. It's serious amateur hour poo poo, and stands out all the more since the show is - if not particularly groundbreaking in its transitions - usually a little more elegant than that.

What, and I cannnot stress this seriously enough, the gently caress?

I'm up to this episode on my rewatch and I honestly thought my computer was crashing or something at this wipe. What on earth was this?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm up to this episode on my rewatch and I honestly thought my computer was crashing or something at this wipe. What on earth was this?

Guest director made an extraordinarily bad call, but the dude directed Leaving Las Vegas so nobody had the guts to overrule him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's somehow worse than a scene transition from Star Wars, it looks like Homer Simpson put it together.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I hate da nort.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Appropriate for the day.

https://twitter.com/GMPaiella/status/1315677986063028224

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Matt Zerella posted:

I hate da nort.

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1049309542390095873

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s really a bummer they wrote furio off the show, I loved him.

There’s no behind the scenes drama story there, is there? I googled it but all I found was a false rumor and an article where the actor said he was disappointed to learn he was being written off but it’s a mob show and these things happen, so he had no bad blood about it. Sounds like it was just a creative choice.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Federico Castelluccio is the classiest irl dude on the show, and TIL that he is an accomplished, classically trained painter and art historian with an excellent sense of humor and a thick Jersey accent.

(The original diptych is The Duke and Duchess of Urbino, and the duke was a ruthless and vain mercenary who amassed power in a small chunk of Italy by building and wielding a small army of goons.)

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s really a bummer they wrote furio off the show, I loved him.

There’s no behind the scenes drama story there, is there? I googled it but all I found was a false rumor and an article where the actor said he was disappointed to learn he was being written off but it’s a mob show and these things happen, so he had no bad blood about it. Sounds like it was just a creative choice.

I know it's not good to buy into gossip and Federico Castelluccio seems a nice enough guy around fans, but I'm pretty sure there was some tension with Chase and the rest of the cast. His absence from the final seasons, when even dead characters usually cameo in dream sequences, flashbacks, waking hallucinations etc., is a little conspicuous, and he doesn't seem to ever be around the main cast in reunions either. I did read that a tipping point was him bringing a girlfriend to set and her then spilling plot details. I also think he probably was the fabled cast member who prompted them to stop having group dinners to send off actors who were written out.

That said, as much as I liked Furio as a character, I think having him abruptly flee the country and where that leaves Tony and Carmela was a solid payoff, so it works for me as a creative choice whether or not there's anything to the rumours.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
He was one of the most prominent people at the con last year and didn’t seem like he had issues with anyone.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

JethroMcB posted:

Guest director made an extraordinarily bad call, but the dude directed Leaving Las Vegas so nobody had the guts to overrule him

I think Figgis got more blame than he deserved for this as he (as I understand is standard for TV directors) didn't get final edit and by his account he hadn't even seen how the transition looked until it aired. He does talk on the commentary about wanting a way to see both Carmela and Wegler's faces in one shot so perhaps he'd suggested or began work on it but it's really up to the editors.

At least it's only a few seconds. I was more bothered by the switch to handheld in 'Chasing It', which I thought was extremely loving weird to throw in there when you're a few episodes away from ending a 7 year run.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm now up to Long Term Parking on my rewatch and

Matt Zerella posted:

"I can finally do my memoirs" is an all time classic Christopher line :lol:

it's a testament to this show that in a scene as tense and serious as the one that Christopher and Adriana have in this episode that they can just slip in a line that genuinely makes you laugh out loud in the middle of it and not have it feel jarring or out of place. The Sopranos has got to be the funniest non-comedy out there.

Also have to agree that there's some A+ face-acting on Michael Imperioli's part, he basically delivers a compelling internal monologue with only his eyebrows. I also noticed it with Sil in the car when he's driving Adriana; he's putting up a front and convincingly making pleasant conversation but the closer they get to their destination, the more trouble he has keeping the rage off his face. Adriana's a little too distracted to notice it though I suppose

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Sil might have been the smartest out of all the guys, and I think he definitely knew a lot more about what was going on with Ralph, Chris, etc than he ever let on. He knew where his place was (second in command) and knew how to stay there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Sil might have been the smartest out of all the guys, and I think he definitely knew a lot more about what was going on with Ralph, Chris, etc than he ever let on. He knew where his place was (second in command) and knew how to stay there.

Him freaking out when when he's asked to actually be the boss is one of my favorite character moments in the show. Dude's reached the exact limits of his ambition and he's scared of going further.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Tossup between Sil and Little Carmine, Lil' Carmine didn't get shot and is just living the life.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Him freaking out when when he's asked to actually be the boss is one of my favorite character moments in the show. Dude's reached the exact limits of his ambition and he's scared of going further.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Kemper Boyd posted:

Tossup between Sil and Little Carmine, Lil' Carmine didn't get shot and is just living the life.

He's free to hone his malappropriationisms.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Kemper Boyd posted:

Being from Long Island it always cracked me up that his dumb rear end is from there. It's perfect.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

phasmid posted:

He's free to hone his malappropriationisms.

He realized he stood at the precipice of an enormous crossroads.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Little Carmine is basically a Jackie Junior who lived

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm now up to Long Term Parking on my rewatch and

it's a testament to this show that in a scene as tense and serious as the one that Christopher and Adriana have in this episode that they can just slip in a line that genuinely makes you laugh out loud in the middle of it and not have it feel jarring or out of place. The Sopranos has got to be the funniest non-comedy out there.

Also have to agree that there's some A+ face-acting on Michael Imperioli's part, he basically delivers a compelling internal monologue with only his eyebrows. I also noticed it with Sil in the car when he's driving Adriana; he's putting up a front and convincingly making pleasant conversation but the closer they get to their destination, the more trouble he has keeping the rage off his face. Adriana's a little too distracted to notice it though I suppose

One of my favorite Chris lines is when Adriana is trying to get him to flee and suggests he could start a new career in male modeling. His response is "sure I'd probably be a success, but I wouldn't want to be around those fuckin people"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ade: I had a procedure. The doctor pierced my uterus

Chris: Both of 'em?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And obviously that’s not possible even with computers

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

We can watch a DVD. I got da 50 cent one down in da car. Dey were givin it away at da car wash

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
THE ROOF IS SOFT TAR

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tony is the best character in the history of TV, but Chris is only slightly behind him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Some of the brilliance with Chris (and others) is that when they’re trying to be funny, they’re not. For instance, when Chris and Ade are on a double date with Little Paulie and Tina, Tina tells them her coat is made out of fox, prompting this exchange:

Little Paulie: She’s my fox in a box.

Chris: Well let’s see her box, or maybe her socks!

But then they’re legitimately funny in situations where they’re pissed off, like in “Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti” when the clerk tries to tell him that the guy was next in line, but he went out to get gas:

“ Oh, so I can go out, gently caress your sister, come back Saturday, and I go to the front of the line?”

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ainsley McTree posted:

Little Carmine is basically a Jackie Junior who lived

I dunno if Jackie Jr. would be capable of the level of introspection Little Carmine shows in his chat with Tony

he basically won The Mafia

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Pattonesque posted:

I dunno if Jackie Jr. would be capable of the level of introspection Little Carmine shows in his chat with Tony

he basically won The Mafia

A pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Didn’t he almost drown in three inches of water?

The penguin exhibit.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the Carmines: learning that the actor who played Carmine Lupertazzi Sr. is also the same person whose life IRL the movie Green Book is based off was my bizarre Sopranos fact of the month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Lip

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Little Carmine gets called stupid by everyone on the show, but almost everyone on the show is stupid themselves. He is at the very least, the most level headed character and likely smarter than any of the other guys.

But yeah, him and Sylvio are the only two who aren't ruled by their own ego.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 14, 2020

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Some of the brilliance with Chris (and others) is that when they’re trying to be funny, they’re not. For instance, when Chris and Ade are on a double date with Little Paulie and Tina, Tina tells them her coat is made out of fox, prompting this exchange:

Little Paulie: She’s my fox in a box.

Chris: Well let’s see her box, or maybe her socks!

But then they’re legitimately funny in situations where they’re pissed off, like in “Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti” when the clerk tries to tell him that the guy was next in line, but he went out to get gas:

“ Oh, so I can go out, gently caress your sister, come back Saturday, and I go to the front of the line?”

Dead on, nothing in the show has made me laugh harder than Christopher calling Vito a "fuckin' parade float" and hurling a sandwich at him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Dead on, nothing in the show has made me laugh harder than Christopher calling Vito a "fuckin' parade float" and hurling a sandwich at him

I was about to use that example and instead went with the bakery one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unrelated to Chris, but one of the funniest parts I noticed in my rewatch (and there are sooo many) was Oksana not once, but twice telling Tony the story about her cousin, to remind him of what a lovely boyfriend he is. "Her prosthetic leg fall off in gap store and he carry her out. Where is my commander white shining armor?"

And both times, she fucks up the "knight in shining armor" metaphor in different ways.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

veni veni veni posted:

Unrelated to Chris, but one of the funniest parts I noticed in my rewatch (and there are sooo many) was Oksana not once, but twice telling Tony the story about her cousin, to remind him of what a lovely boyfriend he is. "Her prosthetic leg fall off in gap store and he carry her out. Where is my commander white shining armor?"

And both times, she fucks up the "knight in shining armor" metaphor in different ways.

She says “Knight in White Satin Armor” both times because she’s confusing it with the Moody Blues song “Knights in White Satin”. It’s also the name of the episode in which Janice kills Richie and Irina tries to kill herself.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Sil's reading of his letter to Christopher at the intervention is an all timer.

"Your hair was in the toilet water. Disgusting."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She says “Knight in White Satin Armor” both times because she’s confusing it with the Moody Blues song “Knights in White Satin”. It’s also the name of the episode in which Janice kills Richie and Irina tries to kill herself.

I’m almost positive the first time she says commander, but I’d have to go and check.