Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

20 stolen int at 15 minutes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm honestly trying to think of another example in tech/gaming/software where a company has decided "This product is a cash cow, but we think it will be most beneficial to not invest in it." Adobe Photoshop is probably the closest thing I can think of?

I get that Valve is 90% economists and MBAs at this point but that makes their business practices around dota even more baffling. Is there a "Don't invest in successful products if they are profitable." strategy that I'm not familiar with?
Netflix does this. It's why they rarely renew a show for a second season.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Kibner posted:

Netflix does this. It's why they rarely renew a show for a second season.

There's some major differences (Netflix is constantly putting out new products, valve still makes some dota content but not at a scale that correlates to the audience and product value) but yeah, they're somewhat similar.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

moving back a little

ILL Machina posted:

The biggest thing for me was mentioning the loss of support for ticket sales for third party tourneys and their rewards/cosmetics which were actually successful. That always felt like bullshit.

It wasn't just loss of support it was outright no longer allowing it. A bunch of people called it out as a shameless cash grab to make sure all the money would go into valve tournaments instead and they were obviously right, and valve just never addressed it ever because look at how much money they make from TI

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Techies is my favorite and the best hero, and this recent Slacks video has given me a few tips I hadn't considered before (like using the mine sign to siege):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECnnNHtHdk

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Techies is my favorite and the best hero, and this recent Slacks video has given me a few tips I hadn't considered before (like using the mine sign to siege):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECnnNHtHdk

:mods:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao the thing about the pennants is so insanely scummy even for valve.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

lmao the thing about the pennants is so insanely scummy even for valve.

It's the same thing with caster voice lines as battle pass rewards

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

There's some major differences (Netflix is constantly putting out new products, valve still makes some dota content but not at a scale that correlates to the audience and product value) but yeah, they're somewhat similar.

They are both subscription services right enough :cheeky:

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Thank you Kyle for all the ads

E: in all seriousness Kyle brings up a depressing amount of good points and im really saddened that it's come to this

Knowlue fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 11, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This Liquid/Na'Vi game 2 is really good

36 minutes in and within 1k gold, and Na'Vi's lifestealer finally died for the first time just now

e: Liquid got an aghs from rosh so the lead is now 10k lol

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 11, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Uh, I've not watched a lot of dota lately. Is pos1 snapfire a thing?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

Uh, I've not watched a lot of dota lately. Is pos1 snapfire a thing?

Pos 2, it's being played mid to rush aghs

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Pos 2, it's being played mid to rush aghs

Micke is their pos1, he wasn't mid and he didn't rush aghs

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheRat posted:

Micke is their pos1, he wasn't mid and he didn't rush aghs

Welp, that's a new development on me

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He seems to be doing very well so far though so idk, maybe he's just a genius

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Snapfire farms quicker than like anyone with Q, it clears camps insanely fast if you give her farm priority and Daedilus can vaporize people with her E

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
snapfire is just very very versatile. you can play it in any lane and any role and still have high impact, you carry greaves very well because youre not ever going to get bursted at the start of any fight, your aghs is a crazy initiation ability, and you scale very hard in the late game when you have your 20/25 talents.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think Alliance (the team without Bounty Hunter) has more track kills this game than NiP (the team with Bounty Hunter) this game

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

IcePhoenix posted:

moving back a little

It wasn't just loss of support it was outright no longer allowing it. A bunch of people called it out as a shameless cash grab to make sure all the money would go into valve tournaments instead and they were obviously right, and valve just never addressed it ever because look at how much money they make from TI

Well yeah, that's what I meant. Was awesome to see tourneys hiring content creators, letting fans contribute to prize pools, and TOs profiting directly through the client. I'm 100% sure it didn't draw any money away from TI sales, but I vaguely remember people complaining there were too many tournaments or BPs at some point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/BeyondTheSummit/status/1315699793625145345?s=20

there's a bit of overlap with the current esl germany tournament going on but I assume they've planned for that

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
How much you wanna bet it's 50k NA, 50k SEA, 150k EU

Edit: Nice, they did 100k to NA/SEA and 50k to EU instead

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 12, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sampatrick posted:

How much you wanna bet it's 50k NA, 50k SEA, 150k EU

Edit: Nice, they did 100k to NA/SEA and 50k to EU instead

with a prize pool that low maybe their eu plan is "whoever is out of ESL when we start"

speaking of which, Cyber legacy and Extremum are playing an elimination match right now. It's a swiss format where three wins advances you to the playoffs, and three losses eliminates you. They're both 0-2 so far.

https://twitch.tv/esl_dota2

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Guys please help, i suck at dota - is there a thread for people who suck at dota?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Elimination game 3 between Hellraisers (funn1k/lil stack) and Tempo (LeBron stack) about to start :toot:

https://twitch.tv/esl_dota2

The next two series are Yellow Submarine/NiP and OG/Alliance (which is a qualifier series), so lots of good dotes coming today :toot:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The DPRK posted:

Guys please help, i suck at dota - is there a thread for people who suck at dota?

thats every dota thread

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I still don't understand this "multiple shadow sightings have been reported throughout the city" ad

"Monsters are attacking, which is very fun. Mercedes-Benz"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
a pos3 lina, now i've seen everything

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

emdash posted:

still haven't seen a pos 3 willow :mad:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao that fight

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
This Puck seems to be impossible to deal with.

Edit: Never mind, it’s the PA that looks unstoppable. Also Ceb making POS 3 Lina look good.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 14, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PA hit critical mass and the game was basically over from that point.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
midOne with the fountain rampage. Geez guys.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

emdash posted:

Reminds me of that greaves bloodstone mid lina build that was popular a while back

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Arzachel posted:

Reminds me of that greaves bloodstone mid lina build that was popular a while back

Remember the -30s respawn Lina? She was played mid right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
sunstrike

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
that was quite a topson sunstrike kill

wow

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
30 minute no black hole

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Feels like this was a massive outdraft by Alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

more falafel please posted:

I still don't understand this "multiple shadow sightings have been reported throughout the city" ad

"Monsters are attacking, which is very fun. Mercedes-Benz"

I really, really want to see the target customer data that told Mercedes-Benz they should be advertising on esports tournaments.