Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didn’t dislike outer wilds but I don’t really like it much either. :iiam:

I might try it in VR to see if the extra immersion helps

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have never heard anyone express a middling opinion about outer wilds before ever haha, either they bounce off it completely or they get totally obsessed and finish the game in a couple of days

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

if you didn't see it when it was launched, this bug in tOW made me lol

https://www.vg247.com/2019/12/16/the-outer-worlds-dead-companion-bug-infinite-ladder-story/

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

wow i actually specifically remember that poor little guy. i preferred blowing him up with the mortar gun when he came around the corner.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I tried playing some skyrim yesterday and my mind completely blotted out how bad the combat is in this game. Also you need to download a mod to get rid of the cinematic kills where you either are instantly dying to a monster or instantly killing one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

wow i actually specifically remember that poor little guy. i preferred blowing him up with the mortar gun when he came around the corner.

He's not small, he's just far away.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He's not small, he's just far away.

he's a little short for a stormtrooper

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i just figured out i can automate planetary management in stellaris :allears:

i love my addictive chill space game to lo-fi to

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wow usually when something gets a 'remaster' it's a good polish to the graphics and maybe some patches to gameplay for any rough edges, stuff like some of the old point & click games where you get a whole new art style you can toggle on and off.

but this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qljPi5iIE

no poo poo apart from the slight change in color grade, I spotted

+ less rain
+ halos around oncoming headlights
+ aliased trees
+ world reflections on car surfaces

and that's it. Well worth laying out forty bucks.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i have never heard anyone express a middling opinion about outer wilds before ever haha, either they bounce off it completely or they get totally obsessed and finish the game in a couple of days

I also had a middling opinion - i think i didn't quite get sucked into the atmosphere like I did with Subnautica, or particularly care about the story. It did seem cool but I was never like " wow i wish i was playing outer wilds right now"

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
has anyone played any of this year's IFComp games? There's 104 this year. I'm gonna give some of them a go.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
now that i’m out of the tutorial, metro:exodus is scratching that fo(4) itch big time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I have resubbed to wow. Looking forward to getting sucked in and hating my life more than I do now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have resubbed to wow. Looking forward to getting sucked in and hating my life more than I do now.

don't advocate self-harm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/ECUW64vUwAIjtc0.mp4

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Uptime Sinclair posted:

now that i’m out of the tutorial, metro:exodus is scratching that fo(4) itch big time

its good

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AttractMode/status/1316470774396575754

greenpos4lyfe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kuvo posted:

greenpos4lyfe

:hai:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kuvo posted:

greenpos4lyfe

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

toiletbrush posted:

has anyone played any of this year's IFComp games? There's 104 this year. I'm gonna give some of them a go.

I'll check that out, does Adam Cadre still make games?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

after sixteen years I reactivated daoc this past winter, right before covid. i found some rando guild that kind of sucked but i played a few hours a night

when covid hit i was super traumatized and scared and didnt touch my game computer for two weeks and ended up just cancelling to save a billing cycle on my two accounts

don't play MMORPGs, kids.

I bet you can ballpark the exact week I quit from my character last names lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dirtnapdispenser HalfPriceForMids is a great name, i'm stealing that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mistress of the battlegrounds. love that poo poo.

Problem with daoc is the endgame (level 50 but you keep getting abilities due to player kills but on a log scale basically) has no upper limit and because you can get higher ranks past that so fast now, you go out with a realm rank 6 character like all my 50s and basically get insta vaporized by nerds that play 40/week and are all realm rank 11-13 which confers huge advantages on them. I got tired of it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
holy poo poo daoc still exists. i remember playing that when mmos were just starting to become a thing, long before wow. i got it as a gift, and the box had a free month, so i played for that month but never actually paid for an account. i can easily see my life going in a very different direction if i had gotten into mmos because boy am i exactly the sort of person who would get addicted to them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
are those actually official servers? i'm assuming those are long gone and the only place to play now is some tiny community-hosted poo poo that only maxxxximum mmo nerds would ever find out exists

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah they 'clustered' all the servers to one environment, so everybody goes and PvPs (or RvR in daoc parlance) in the same zone, but there are eight housing zones or something and your house only exists on Ywain4 or whatever.

The big issue for me is that it's US primetime only. Back in the early 00s there was a 24/7 stream of activity, rotating between the euros, the NA crew and au/nz. Now nobody logs on until 5pm Eastern and everybody logs off at 10pm Pacific. Rest of the time its like 10 nerds hanging out powerleveling in Lyonesse during business hours. Zero activity if you aren't a prime time evening player.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if anybody wants to gently caress around with daoc you can sign up a free account and I'll powerlevel you to 50. it'll take about 12 hours real life time over a couple days and will be tremendously boring as we watch my cabalist pet shred pygmy goblins, but i'll get on chat and tell jokes and bullshit with you.

(don't actually do this, there are better uses of your time)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i can see literally no difference other than the color grading

also that's a dumb one to remaster. i would prefer most wanted (2005), which had all the tuner poo poo and the corny story with FMV that made it fun.

i think the high water mark for remakes/remasters is tomb raider: anniversary, personally. that is just polished as hell

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a $40 settings switch for need for racing: fast cars 2

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

going to get the demons souls remake for sure though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how do the need for speed games compare with burnout paradise?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

how do the need for speed games compare with burnout paradise?

they have a lot more unskippable poorly acted cutscenes and police chases where it magically spawns a cop every time you’re 0.1 seconds from escaping

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well that sounds lovely. I'll stick with burnout then

thanks!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

did i mention i finished subsurface circular a while back and bought the next one, but never played it until now? quarantine circular has a whole different vibe during actual quarantine :smith:

im not going to lie the full body protective gear quickly went from sounding oppressive to mildly appealing right now

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i can see literally no difference other than the color grading

i wasnt paying attention and couldnt tell which was which for a few seconds. seems like a good grift to throw a reshade pack onto a game as long as you dont show how subtle it is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the tony hawk 1 and 2 remake is good but probably not worth 40 bux if you weren’t a super fan back in the day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

the tony hawk 1 and 2 remake is good but probably not worth 40 bux if you weren’t a super fan back in the day

how about if i was?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i'm trying 'surviving mars' but it feels so cartoony and bland after frostpunk. i'll probably just go play some more frostpunk.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i went into my replays of infinity engine games w a replay of planescape torment and this was a bad decision because every other infinity engine game sucks in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

how about if i was?
it definitely is then, the nostalgia blast of rolling down into the warehouse is a real thing