Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a pet peeve of asking for a status update on something we just discussed. Or have been discussing all week. Do you not know what is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I have a pet peeve of asking for a status update on something we just discussed. Or have been discussing all week. Do you not know what is going on?

Our project manager regularly asks about the status of projects that the responsible person *literally* just finished giving their update on in our daily standups. In one ear, out the other.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

"not enough notes on ticket"
But I gave it to you because it was evident what the resolution was, it's hardware replacement, nothing I can do about it. I'll call the user back and get more info, sorry
"no need, I already called the user back and it's just hardware replacement, we'll let him know"

how about you gently caress off and go home, thanks

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Piece of poo poo automated system that rips data from exchange, saves it to a one of three network locations and then deletes it from exchange. If the save fails for any reason then it still gets deleted and the data is lost. lovely software was last updated in 2014 and nobody wants to touch it because no-one knows how it's configured.

So to prevent data loss, I'm asked to make a script that monitors the availability of the network locations, and if any of them are unwritable for any reason we shut down this lovely service, so I do it, simple powershell script, attempts to write to three locations and if there's any error, we shutdown the servive if it's running. If there's no errors and the service is not running we start it up. Runs as a scheduled task every 60 seconds. It's far from perfect but it'll prevent the vast majority of data loss.

Untill the bosses boss, aka the man who actually asked me to write this loving thing in the first place, gets a complaint that data isn't coming in, notices that the service is stopped and manually starts it at which point it promptly shuts down again. Repeat a few times until he realises that the script is doing it.

He determines that only one of the three check locations is failing, and the other two are fine, so he _removes that location from the checks_. Service starts up, he declares it a job well done closes the ticket and finishes for the day without telling anyone what he did until the following morning.

Turned out the network between our Exchange and our co-lo datacentre was down and not only did starting the service lose about an hour's worth of incoming data destined for that location each time he attempted to start the service, but he then managed to lose the lot due to editing the script and leaving it to process overnight

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Only instead of childlike wonder as you turn the crank, you're cringing in anticipation of whatever new horror will be found in the unpowered refrigerators your boss told you to document.

Also that game was loving amazing, and at no point in time did we ever actually play the game as designed, we just assembled it and hosed around with it for hours.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Also that game was loving amazing, and at no point in time did we ever actually play the game as designed, we just assembled it and hosed around with it for hours.

We tried modding it by putting water in the pool for the diver at the end. Only problem being that it dulled the impact such that the next step never triggered.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think that was the same problem Lum's boss ran into!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

can we not name our software pieces after gods of mischief? tia

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Company I work for has a major Star Wars theme going on. Half our infrastructure and automation is named after Star Wars characters.

It makes for some pretty funny conversations.

-Shmi died again last night.

-Did Anakin kill the Younglings as scheduled?

-C3PO is whining about an unhealthy disk again.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Could be worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That said, Loki is a pretty cool log aggregator. If that happened to be what the error was referring to.

Assuming you're cool with the modern approach of SCALE HORIZONTALLY FOREVERRRRRR.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Biowarfare posted:

Could be worse.

Gross

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I really hate when things aren't named descriptively. Nutanix is bad about this - Cassandra/Zeus/Acropolis/Uhura/Arithmos/Medusa - none of the names give me any straightforward indication of what they do, and to compound the issue, are annoying to search the internet for.

People should really take a hint from the AWS in plain English page.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why does that lady that works the breakfast shift at Taco Bell ask if I want sauce packets if she never puts them in my bag! :argh:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Why do people love talking so much? Why does a request for access need to include the requester’s entire life story? Why do people have to endlessly iterate on each other’s points when they loving AGREE and can just move on? Why do they want MORE zoom meetings? I’m losing my mind

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got one of those "it didn't used to work like this, why did we change?" grumpy naysayers and it's pissing me off. The world isn't in stasis, learn some new skills jerk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a lazier way to make a ticket than forwarding a voicemail notification email with .WAV file to the helpdesk?

At least put something in there like "Joe from accounting locked his account out"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Why do people love talking so much? Why does a request for access need to include the requester’s entire life story? Why do people have to endlessly iterate on each other’s points when they loving AGREE and can just move on? Why do they want MORE zoom meetings? I’m losing my mind

Also meetings where the VIP the meeting is ostensibly for is running late, but your boss starts the meeting anyway, then the VIP shows up fifteen minutes in and your boss starts the meeting over so the VIP can catch up.

No, gently caress you, you were late. Especially ridiculous now that they could just watch the Zoom recording.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I work at a physical therapy/substance abuse/mental hospital

Something weird is going on. I got asked if I ever had my 'cell phone use exclusion form' signed, and they made me sign one (employees cannot have their phones out on the floor).

Also I was told I can't carry my leatherman either.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Not being allowed to carry a swipable pocket knife in a facility where patients literally can't have shoelaces or anything with a drawstring in it makes me surprised it wasn't banned already tbqh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Not being allowed to carry a swipable pocket knife in a facility where patients literally can't have shoelaces or anything with a drawstring in it makes me surprised it wasn't banned already tbqh

I realize that but I also carry a cart full of CAT6, hammers, screwdrivers and saws and poo poo nearly time I go over there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Exchange services may remain in a disabled state after you install this security update. This condition does not indicate that the update is not installed correctly. This condition may occur if the service control scripts experience a problem when they try to return Exchange services to their usual state.

To fix this issue, use Services Manager to restore the startup type to Automatic, and then start the affected Exchange services manually.

READ EVERY EXCHANGE UPDATE KB. EVERY TIME.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

I realize that but I also carry a cart full of CAT6, hammers, screwdrivers and saws and poo poo nearly time I go over there.

You probably shouldn't do that either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

You probably shouldn't do that either.

How else am I going to mount security cameras and put phones back on the wall that get damaged?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Bob Morales posted:

How else am I going to mount security cameras and put phones back on the wall that get damaged?

I would assume move the patients to a separate area when somebody needs to bring in their suicide-bag.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I think putting safety over convenience is kind of the point. I would also assume hospitals have some kind of procedures for those. I would reach out to compliance for guidance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

I think putting safety over convenience is kind of the point. I would also assume hospitals have some kind of procedures for those. I would reach out to compliance for guidance.

I get what you're saying. But we have building maintenance (and IT) in there doing work all the time. They don't move people around for that.

What I'm saying is that I can have a cart full of tools, but I can't have a tool on my belt/pocket.

What I'm also saying is at least one person said "Bob has a pocket knife and uses his phone on the floor"

It could have just been a random employee who's a stickler for the rules.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I get what you're saying. But we have building maintenance (and IT) in there doing work all the time. They don't move people around for that.

What I'm saying is that I can have a cart full of tools, but I can't have a tool on my belt/pocket.

What I'm also saying is at least one person said "Bob has a pocket knife and uses his phone on the floor"

It could have just been a random employee who's a stickler for the rules.

I get the point of your post. People being petty sucks. However, I don't think this situation is exactly petty. These rules exist for a good reason and your posting at least isn't really giving me confidence that you are using a reasonable amount of caution.

Again no, you should not be wearing a knife on your hip around high risk folks. No, you shouldn't have high risk things on your cart either around those people. Pointing out you also carry other dangerous things doesn't help your point.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sickening posted:

I get the point of your post. People being petty sucks. However, I don't think this situation is exactly petty. These rules exist for a good reason and your posting at least isn't really giving me confidence that you are using a reasonable amount of caution.

Again no, you should not be wearing a knife on your hip around high risk folks. No, you shouldn't have high risk things on your cart either around those people. Pointing out you also carry other dangerous things doesn't help your point.

Agreed.

Bob, your argument is basically the same as those Anti-Mask people who are like "Well we don't wear masks for the flu" and reasonable people respond with "Well we probably should!"

You shouldn't have your knife around the high-risk folks. And you probably shouldn't have all the other dangerous stuff either!

I get how it's frustrating, but a little bit of frustration could save a life!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

maybe all the tools on the cart are contained in a locked toolbox that he re-locks every time he gets something out of it. at least i hope so

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The reality is that safety rules are paid for in blood so it's likely that someone got hurt with a pocketknife while no one so far has been hurt by something on a tool cart.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I interpret Bob's posts as "it's weird they don't let me have a phone or knife but let me have all this stuff that can be just as lethal". He doesn't make the rules.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In a secure facility there is a big difference between a guy carrying potentially unsafe items and a tool cart that is inventoried and kept secure when not in use.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
A sales rep at our company just asked me to add all 3,600 of their email contacts into our marketing email system (Mailchimp) so they can bulk email their client list. That's a big no-no in my mind, since these people didn't specifically opt-in and would be jeopardizing our standing as a sender, right? CAN-SPAM and all that?

They're being pretty obstinant/insistent, but i'm going to run this up the flag pole, they don't seem to get that this is the exact use case for a CRM (which this sales team has refused to use in the past).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

A sales rep at our company just asked me to add all 3,600 of their email contacts into our marketing email system (Mailchimp) so they can bulk email their client list. That's a big no-no in my mind, since these people didn't specifically opt-in and would be jeopardizing our standing as a sender, right? CAN-SPAM and all that?

They're being pretty obstinant/insistent, but i'm going to run this up the flag pole, they don't seem to get that this is the exact use case for a CRM (which this sales team has refused to use in the past).
MailChimp would probably have something to say about that, their deliverability metrics are a big deal, and adding people who don't opt-in hurts them.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
poo poo pissing me off:

I've been tasked with upgrading over 1,000 printers on a hospital network because their kernels aren't encrypted. There is no way to this in bulk on these particular models, it's one machine at a time. lovely, but I delegated most of it to the rest of my team since I'm the only on-site tier 2 and have other poo poo to fix.

Turns out the upgrade bricks about a quarter of the devices. Sometimes it's fixed by reloading software. Sometimes it's fixed by replacing the motherboard. Sometimes it fries the EMMC card that stores the serial number and the entire device needs to be replaced.

I have 6 loaner devices and am the only one on site that can order motherboards and get the replacement process started. Who tested this upgrade?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
wait, encrypted printer kernels imaged over emmc? what the gently caress hardware is that?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Thanatosian posted:

MailChimp would probably have something to say about that, their deliverability metrics are a big deal, and adding people who don't opt-in hurts them.

Also if any of these people are in Europe then the GDPR as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

Mailchimp/sendgrid are basically spammers at this point. They removed the double opt in requirement and default to single opt in no verification.