Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Modded map packs lead to some weird missions. I was doing the mission to save the VIP in a lost city, where they have the gun emplacement that runs out of bullets in a few turns. But my custom maps jumped in and decided instead of a lost city, this should take place on a wild map I've never seen before, which was a long UFO (really like 4 stuck together with connecting corridors) in flight through the clouds. Neat looking map, but you try going four UFOs in length in four turns to save the VIP. I just barely had my fastest soldier make it at a flat out sprint (lucky I got that move speed PCS). On the plus side, I think the cramped conditions made it harder for the game to find spots to spawn lost hordes, so it didn't get quite as inundated with zombies as the usual map does.

Fuzz posted:

Okay, where's my version for Chimera Squad?

Bring on the true pectoids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I can't figure out the way that wounds work. The guy that was gravely wounded is out for 5 days, the lightly wounded is 7, and the regular is 12? Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense. I do have a staffed infirmary, but unless it has a chance to reduce wound duration it is still really weird.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Wound duration variance is pretty big iirc.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The one dude is gravely wounded because some of his flat top got toasted and he has to grow it back out before he can go back on the field

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, the wound system seems completely random at times. It's why there are several mods to attempt to reign it in and make some goddamn sense out of it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Don't get shot and you never have to worry about wounds. Or make sure the aliens finish the job so they don't need to come home.

Checkmate, XCOM.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've just learned to ignore the wound system. Even playing on legendary, you'll usually have enough time between missions for a staffed infirmary to patch up most of your people. Not always, especially if you're trying to do facilities or story missions or chosen base assaults that fall outside the normal mission rotation, but that's why you level at least two of each soldier type so you can swap them as needed.

I've been finishing off another campaign on legendary, and I'm remembering why I didn't really like it last time I did one. The AI just cheats a bit too much. If you pull one pod, 90% of the time two more will just so happen to randomly wander into your fight next turn. It's something you can play around with a reaper spotting everything and by pulling back each turn, or abusing LoS, but that feels a bit too cheesy. I don't exactly like the way the lower difficulties will intentionally keep pods just out of range so they don't see you until you finish the current pod, but I think having them come running from across the map to join the battle is probably even more annoyingly video-gamey.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

XCOM EU/EW had the wounds system better, where if you took less damage then your armor grants you, no wounds on the soldier. So your power armor can actually absorb damage instead of making you live forever while full of holes.

WotC already has the fatigue system to keep you rotating, no sense in two separate mechanics to regularly sideline your guys.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The thing I don't like about EW is Exalt. They're just a weird, self contained distraction from the story. Easy too. I wish those resources had gone into making some more aliens and alien mission types.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
story? what?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Exalt were awesome bad guys :colbert:

It is 100% believable that in the middle of an alien apocalypse, some dumbshit cabal of rich transhumanist assholes would start throwing mercenaries at (and stealing technology from) the one organization trying to keep poo poo from going sideways. Also their guns look more like actual guns than XCom's goofy tinker toys :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 14, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fondly remembering when I thought it was unrealistic that people would actively work against the people trying to protect the world from a global crisis :negative:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've been finishing off another campaign on legendary, and I'm remembering why I didn't really like it last time I did one. The AI just cheats a bit too much. If you pull one pod, 90% of the time two more will just so happen to randomly wander into your fight next turn. It's something you can play around with a reaper spotting everything and by pulling back each turn, or abusing LoS, but that feels a bit too cheesy. I don't exactly like the way the lower difficulties will intentionally keep pods just out of range so they don't see you until you finish the current pod, but I think having them come running from across the map to join the battle is probably even more annoyingly video-gamey.

If you're looking for a mod-based solution, Yellow Alert (both gameplay and spawning) does away with the line of play in favour of the jobs and 'yellow alert' system built for Long War 2 and based on sound. Having played with it for a while, it certainly feels less gamey, although I suppose that's up to your personal feelings.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is there a mod for XCOM 2 to let you interact with chests and such after dashing like in Chimera Squad? I literally had a mission-objective crate blow up with 2 guys standing on the squares next to it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Angry Diplomat posted:

Exalt were awesome bad guys :colbert:

It is 100% believable that in the middle of an alien apocalypse, some dumbshit cabal of rich transhumanist assholes would start throwing mercenaries at (and stealing technology from) the one organization trying to keep poo poo from going sideways. Also their guns look more like actual guns than XCom's goofy tinker toys :v:

I know that EW didn't really happen, but man was I hoping for some kind of loredump about EXALT in WotC or, failing that, Chimera Squad. Like maybe they were the original generation of troopers, or maybe they got totally betrayed and turned into slush, or something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I gotta get back to Chimera Squad. As a relative X-Com noob I played through on normal and used the best characters (Blueblood, the medic, snek, etc) and tried to play through with the other characters and maaaan it is just a lot less fun. Kinda wish there was a little more variety.

And gently caress those highway missions holy poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rochallor posted:

I know that EW didn't really happen, but man was I hoping for some kind of loredump about EXALT in WotC or, failing that, Chimera Squad. Like maybe they were the original generation of troopers, or maybe they got totally betrayed and turned into slush, or something.

I think the generally agreed upon implication is that Exalt more or less still exists/existed, just instead of fully militarizing into a big anti-XCOM force they were the collaborators who greeted their new alien overlords with open arms and kick-started Advent.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

They’re literally xcom. X-Alt. It’s been a while but I don’t think they show up until after the base invasion and the commander is doing a simulation.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

John Murdoch posted:

I think the generally agreed upon implication is that Exalt more or less still exists/existed, just instead of fully militarizing into a big anti-XCOM force they were the collaborators who greeted their new alien overlords with open arms and kick-started Advent.

The generally agreed on implication is that they're a mixup in the simulation the aliens threw in after a while to get that valuable combat data from the Commander on how to deal with rogue terrorist forces using XCOM tactics.

Same reason Shen gave the commander access to MECs and Vahlen to Gene Mods, so they could have the commander experiment with what worked and what didn't. Its notable in XCOM 2 you literally have all the same mission types Exalt did but from the other side and that ADVENT gets all the fun MECs and Gene Mods you got in EW across their units.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
EXALT in x-com files are a really easy cult to fight right p to the point where the assholes with grenade launchers show up and ruin your day. The Red Dawn/Dagon idiots with dynamite are a problem but their range is quite low.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zore posted:

The generally agreed on implication is that they're a mixup in the simulation the aliens threw in after a while to get that valuable combat data from the Commander on how to deal with rogue terrorist forces using XCOM tactics.

I mean, I think that's also true as well.

It's entirely possible I have my wires crossed, but ultimately I think the story (for as messy and fractured and largely slapdash as it is) is more interesting if Exalt isn't just a total fiction created for the commander's combat simulations.

And given the hints we get of how the alien takeover worked, they slot pretty cleanly into that, so :shrug:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, I think that's also true as well.

It's entirely possible I have my wires crossed, but ultimately I think the story (for as messy and fractured and largely slapdash as it is) is more interesting if Exalt isn't just a total fiction created for the commander's combat simulations.

And given the hints we get of how the alien takeover worked, they slot pretty cleanly into that, so :shrug:

The existence of the striped bandana suggest that exalt existed at least idealogically, and it's not hard to slot it in, like you said. besides most of them would have disappeared into the general public by XCOM2, since they basically won.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Torchlighter posted:

The existence of the striped bandana suggest that exalt existed at least idealogically, and it's not hard to slot it in, like you said. besides most of them would have disappeared into the general public by XCOM2, since they basically won.

The easy comparison would be Dr. Breen from HL2. Not hard to believe a bunch of Exalt types got to become overseers of population centers or got a cushy seat on the Council (if they weren't already on it to begin with :tinfoil:) in exchange for handing over humanity to the aliens.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Torchlighter posted:

If you're looking for a mod-based solution, Yellow Alert (both gameplay and spawning) does away with the line of play in favour of the jobs and 'yellow alert' system built for Long War 2 and based on sound. Having played with it for a while, it certainly feels less gamey, although I suppose that's up to your personal feelings.

I've heard of this but never really looked into it. I always got the impression that it kind of did the same thing as far as having every pod on the map charge at you as soon as you go loud. Is that not right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BobTheJanitor posted:

I've heard of this but never really looked into it. I always got the impression that it kind of did the same thing as far as having every pod on the map charge at you as soon as you go loud. Is that not right?

So if a pod hears gunfire/breaking windows or sees a body they go on 'Yellow Alert' which means there is a chance when revealed that they take an action instead of scurrying to cover. Additionally they try to path towards the noise. Pods that haven't heard noise or seen a body are on green alert and act as they do in Vanilla but without a Line of Play (so they have set patrol paths and won't update based on where your dudes are).

Its a lot like the itchy trigger tentacle Second Wave option from EU

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 14, 2020

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zigmidge posted:

story? what?

Ok... uh... theme?

Rochallor posted:

I know that EW didn't really happen

It did though. Sorta. Jake Solomon was explicit in a few interviews that when you won a game of XCOM EW then XCOM 2 never happens. They're parallel universes.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/interview-the-death-of-interceptors-iron-man-mode-and-xcom-2s-next-step

quote:

To me it feels like every time you start a new game of XCOM, you’re kind of spinning off an alternate universe – and so, in the worlds where you beat XCOM, there just never was an XCOM 2, you know?

So Exalt _did_ or _would_ happen. They're not just something the aliens throw at the commander in the sim.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exalt is a very clever name and I hope whoever came up with it is proud of themselves.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My dream XCom game is a modern reimagining of XCom: Apocalypse with all the worldbuilding and poo poo from the newer games, plus a proper implementation of Apocalypse's (kinda incomplete) faction system. I want to recruit a hybrid gangster and a glitchy sapient MEC and then have to keep a careful eye on both of them when the Sentient Engine Liberation Front ends up having a gunfight with the hybrid's gang. I want to get cut off from my usual weapons supplier when Exalt buys them out, and be forced to purchase illegal firearms and explosives through my hilariously paranoid Reaper contacts instead. I want to be put on trial for war crimes when one of my rookies panics, sprays gunfire into an elerium refueling station, and causes an explosion that knocks down the Templar-operated hospital next door

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

My dream XCom game is a modern reimagining of XCom: Apocalypse with all the worldbuilding and poo poo from the newer games, plus a proper implementation of Apocalypse's (kinda incomplete) faction system. I want to recruit a hybrid gangster and a glitchy sapient MEC and then have to keep a careful eye on both of them when the Sentient Engine Liberation Front ends up having a gunfight with the hybrid's gang. I want to get cut off from my usual weapons supplier when Exalt buys them out, and be forced to purchase illegal firearms and explosives through my hilariously paranoid Reaper contacts instead. I want to be put on trial for war crimes when one of my rookies panics, sprays gunfire into an elerium refueling station, and causes an explosion that knocks down the Templar-operated hospital next door

Honestly I'd settle just for getting the awesome terrain destruction from Apocalypse back. It's great how there were so many buildings supported by a few flimsy columns and the whole thing would come crashing down when you blew them up.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Funny how the achievement name "Apotheosis Denied" is the closest we got to figuring out their deal for a while.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I'd settle just for getting the awesome terrain destruction from Apocalypse back. It's great how there were so many buildings supported by a few flimsy columns and the whole thing would come crashing down when you blew them up.

*aliens detected in building*

30 seconds later:

*building no longer detected*

MISSION: SUCCESS 😎

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

Fondly remembering when I thought it was unrealistic that people would actively work against the people trying to protect the world from a global crisis :negative:

I do not need to wear a mask, The Elders keep me immune.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

It did though. Sorta. Jake Solomon was explicit in a few interviews that when you won a game of XCOM EW then XCOM 2 never happens. They're parallel universes.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/interview-the-death-of-interceptors-iron-man-mode-and-xcom-2s-next-step

So Exalt _did_ or _would_ happen. They're not just something the aliens throw at the commander in the sim.

People seem to have a lot of trouble holding multiple canon timelines in their head, it's weird.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My head canon is that Exalt is a weird alien-cult/remnant founded by the people who survived the Outsider incident in the 60's. It sort of works.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Okay, where's my version for Chimera Squad?

SNAKE 👏 ABS 👏 SNAKE 👏 ABS 👏

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

aegof posted:

People seem to have a lot of trouble holding multiple canon timelines in their head, it's weird.
I liked Speedball's interpretation that humanity could win in XCOM 1... but then the ayys sent more Temple Ships and completely overwhelmed Earth, capturing the Commander after the big psychic sacrifice.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
XCOM failed to stop the aliens, then 20 years later XCOM 2 takes place, where the Commander discovers his innate psionic SHIFT ability and by using the Avatar Project against the aliens, SHIFTs into the past just as Alien War 1 starts and uses knowledge from the future, such as MECs and psionics, to stop the aliens and destroy their temple ship. His motives were... complex.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Lemony posted:

Someone had mentioned a good cosmetic replacement mod for the XCOM 2 energy weapons that made them look more like magdriver type guns. I can't seem to find the post though. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Coilguns! It uses the Long War 2 models so SPARKs, Reapers and Templars are stuck with normal plasma, but the Skirmisher bullpups use the coil SMG model.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Xarbala posted:

SNAKE 👏 ABS 👏 SNAKE 👏 ABS 👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Just finished XCOM 2 vanilla, then Chimera, then found a flash sale on Humble for War of the Chosen so it's right back into X2.

Enjoying the poo poo out of them but I kinda expected a bit more out of the X2 basebuilding and research tree. I miss the X1 importance of taking risks to stun at least one of each alien, pokemon style.