Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Happy Hippo posted:

I literally just noticed that 20 minutes ago and have spent the last ten minutes pestering my wife trying to convince her that I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE IT.

Just buy it. Apologizing is easier than convincing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lisa needs braces

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Happy Hippo posted:

I literally just noticed that 20 minutes ago and have spent the last ten minutes pestering my wife trying to convince her that I ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE IT.

“No, honey, it’s not just Frankenstein, it’s Frankenstein MEETS the Wolfman.”

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I allowed myself just one thing and it was unquestionably the Marx Brothers Blu-ray set for $15. It also is in the Buy 3 for 2 offer if you're interested.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Pre-orders for Arrow’s Shohei Imamura box set is now open.

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/survivor-ballads--three-films-by-shohei-imamura/FCD2002

It’s a collection of The Ballad of Narayama, Zegen, and probably his best-known film, Black Rain.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just buy it. Apologizing is easier than convincing.

Even better, give it to her for Christmas.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Happy Hippo posted:

One of the benefits of being a perpetually alone loser that no one will touch is that I don't have to argue with anyone when I want to buy some stupid poo poo I don't need or wait to watch more episodes of something on streaming.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

One of the benefits of being a perpetually alone loser that no one will touch is that I don't have to argue with anyone when I want to buy some stupid poo poo I don't need or wait to watch more episodes of something on streaming.

Don’t doxx me bro :smith:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the grass is always greener my friends.

i wish i could watch horror movies between the times of 5-10pm and on weekends freely without having to warn anyone or pause it if they come into a room.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

Even better, give it to her for Christmas.

But then he has to wait until Christmas

Edit:

Goddamn my poor impulse control

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 14, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

the grass is always greener my friends.

Yes, let's go with that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Grabbing the Marx Brothers and Universal sets, and I think I'm done spending money on these sales.

Good lord.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Two words: Criterion sale

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Well I didn't WANT to spend 70 dollars today, but if you think about it, that's like, $2.33 a movie. I'd be stupid NOT to waste my money!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Mallrats set from Arrow is gorgeous. At least the theatrical cut, haven’t checked the others yet. I think it’s a big step up from the previous version released.

Requiem looks great as well. The sound is OOF. Cannot wait to get sad w my GF.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Mallrats set from Arrow is gorgeous. At least the theatrical cut

The 20 minute intro to the directors cut is brutal. Completely ruins the opening of the movie. No need to watch it if you haven’t unless you’re really that curious

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All the warning signs about Kevin Smith are there in mallrats. The only watchable version of that movie is the one with commentary.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

All the warning signs about Kevin Smith are there in mallrats. The only watchable version of that movie is the one with commentary.

Any Smith commentary with Affleck is gold

mem
Sep 1, 2005
You fuckers think just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some poo poo?

I'm not really a Kevin Smith fan but I love Mallrats (Clerk's is alright too). My cousin got me Brodie's shirt for Christmas a few years back. We used to quote the poo poo out of that movie in high school.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mallrats is a fine movie. And the restorations of the other cuts are fine but you can see when it's footage they didn't have good elements for in them.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Unmature posted:

The 20 minute intro to the directors cut is brutal. Completely ruins the opening of the movie. No need to watch it if you haven’t unless you’re really that curious

I know I watched it last year but I couldn’t remember much aside from liking the theatrical more. I think I remembered that TS’ breakup w Brandy is waaaaay longer.

I’m actually more interested in the TV cut because that’s how I originally saw it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
While I don't doubt that Red State, Tusk, Yoga Hosers, and J&SB Reboot probably definitely suck, Kevin Smith's earlier comedies are watchable even at their worst. I just don't know that I'd ever rewatch any of his movies. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

While I don't doubt that Red State, Tusk, Yoga Hosers, and J&SB Reboot probably definitely suck, Kevin Smith's earlier comedies are watchable even at their worst. I just don't know that I'd ever rewatch any of his movies. :shrug:

I haven't seen Dogma in forever, so IDK, but Clerks and Mallrats are classics. I remember Chasing Amy being, not good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I know I watched it last year but I couldn’t remember much aside from liking the theatrical more. I think I remembered that TS’ breakup w Brandy is waaaaay longer.

I’m actually more interested in the TV cut because that’s how I originally saw it.

It's not even a directors cut really, just an extended cut with all the stuff. I'm pretty sure Smith is on record as preferring the theatrical. The TV version is the best version though. It's bonkers.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's not even a directors cut really, just an extended cut with all the stuff. I'm pretty sure Smith is on record as preferring the theatrical. The TV version is the best version though. It's bonkers.

As a guy who hasn’t really paid much attention to Kevin over the years, in part because I thought he got a little high on his own farts for a little, the intro from him for the theatrical version is pretty endearing. Just hearing what went utterly wrong w the film, and his gratitude and surprise for its ongoing cult status.

I suspect he’s probably hard not to like if ya meet him.

Fake edit: Jason Mewes delivery of “foolish carpenter” when describing swiping the plans for the stage gets me every time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember Chasing Amy being, not good.

It definitely suffers from being written by a straight white dude who knows nothing about the subject matter, but holy hell if Joey Lauren Adams doesn’t absolutely kill her big speech in the middle. She’s just awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Clerks and Mallrats are the only ones I'd still watch. I remember Dogma being a big deal for me but I'm sure if I revisit it it's probably not good. I was raised Catholic and the movie came along right when I was at the "durrr religion is bullshit!" phase. Plus I loved George Carlin so it was a perfect storm of poo poo that hit perfectly for 13 year old me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Clerks and Mallrats are the only ones I'd still watch. I remember Dogma being a big deal for me but I'm sure if I revisit it it's probably not good. I was raised Catholic and the movie came along right when I was at the "durrr religion is bullshit!" phase. Plus I loved George Carlin so it was a perfect storm of poo poo that hit perfectly for 13 year old me.

You would actually like it more if you're beyond that because at it's core that movie is a really genuine introspective look at faith, and it's actually very pro-faith even if it's anti-church in some ways. Also it's got that poo poo demon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

You would actually like it more if you're beyond that because at it's core that movie is a really genuine introspective look at faith, and it's actually very pro-faith even if it's anti-church in some ways. Also it's got that poo poo demon.

Yeah my stance on religion has significantly evolved since then so I'm not like "Wow you believe GOD? You must be STUPID!". My main gripe with religions now is the institutions and certainly the Catholic church. I went to a Catholic school and all the stuff they taught us about Jesus was basically the opposite of how a lot of the adults behaved around the church and school. I actually have one really good story about that but it'll be a wall of text and I feel like this isn't the right spot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Yeah my stance on religion has significantly evolved since then so I'm not like "Wow you believe GOD? You must be STUPID!". My main gripe with religions now is the institutions and certainly the Catholic church. I went to a Catholic school and all the stuff they taught us about Jesus was basically the opposite of how a lot of the adults behaved around the church and school. I actually have one really good story about that but it'll be a wall of text and I feel like this isn't the right spot.

You should give dogma another shot then. The humor is still juvenile, but the religion stuff is shockingly mature for a guy who had Batman piss himself once.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

You should give dogma another shot then. The humor is still juvenile, but the religion stuff is shockingly mature for a guy who had Batman piss himself once.

Maybe I'll take a gander. Also, what's all this about Ben Affleck pissing his pants?

edit: I should also add that I remember the movie's overall stance on religion and the premise generally being "All the weird rules are stupid just do the nice stuff Jesus says.". Which is pretty much how I feel about Christianity and I even subscribe to the general idea of it even though I don't believe in God.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 15, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Maybe I'll take a gander. Also, what's all this about Ben Affleck pissing his pants?

edit: I should also add that I remember the movie's overall stance on religion and the premise generally being "All the weird rules are stupid just do the nice stuff Jesus says.". Which is pretty much how I feel about Christianity and I even subscribe to the general idea of it even though I don't believe in God.

Not Affleck. That would be a much better story. He wrote a Batman mini a few years back where he had Batman piss himself. He shouldn't be allowed to write while stoned is the lesson here, and of most of his later work honestly.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mallrats is the first movie my parents let me watch where they were like "we shouldn't have let you watch that"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

Mallrats is the first movie my parents let me watch where they were like "we shouldn't have let you watch that"

On the scale of one to in the back seat of a Volkswagen, how uncomfortable was watching this movie with your parents?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Christmas is cancelled. Shout pushed They Live 4k to next year.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Not surprised. It seems like of all the boutique labels, they’ve been hit the hardest by Covid. Stuff keeps getting pushed back and they’ve barely announced anything recently.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Shout got Lupin III: The First (Jan 12th) and Prince of Darkness 4K (Jan 19th)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Any word yet on the pared down Gamera release from Arrow? I'm bummed not to get the big one with all the fancy poo poo but just having the movies would be enough for me, even better if they just part it out and I can just buy the 4 heisei ones.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't really get mad at Kevin Smith because he never really tries to front like he's anything more than he is. He's just a dorkass who fell rear end-first into success and is using it to live his best life. I wish we could all have that happen, frankly. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ringu0 posted:

Shout got Lupin III: The First (Jan 12th) and Prince of Darkness 4K (Jan 19th)

is that Lupin flick any good? is the Shout release 4K?

im very interested because I love the art style they chose for it.