Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

Finished The Sad-Brained Horse Show.

I feel like they shoulda ended it an episode earlier than they did?

:geno:

E: Don’t get me wrong, it was a good episode and even a decent final episode but it feels almost like it cheated by not having the second-to-last episode be the last one? :shrug:
i 100% agree except the final episode wasn’t good it was peak navelgazing jomny sun nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Schadenboner posted:

E: Don’t get me wrong, it was a good episode and even a decent final episode but it feels almost like it cheated by not having the second-to-last episode be the last one? :shrug:
either one would have worked but one of the things that it always tried to shake was cynicism and it is a rather sincere show that purposely eschewed cynicism trying more to capture the zeitgeist of a laundry list of DSM-V problems (codependency, ocd, lifetime of building regets, obsession, alcohol/drug addiction to escape, masculinity, asexuality, etc etc) that people don't want to face/discuss and how people are affected in differing ways and that "it's okay, you aren't alone in your problems". although they did have the heart-rate machine beeping there at the end of the preceeding implying he didn't die so it could have worked, but they really wanted one more "so how do you come back from an attempted suicide" and face the people you know to wrap it up and not just leave it hanging

that said the preceeding episode was better, and final could have been better; but either or would have worked, and it wrapped up well. much better than i expected going into the last season tbf

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 13, 2020

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol did a cartoon horse try to kill itself

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
bojack is really good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

indigi posted:

lol did a cartoon horse try to kill itself

I mean it's debatable maybe he just really wanted to see how glue was made

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
new dune better have some kung fu weirding poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6e2NB7i_B8

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i 100% agree except the final episode wasn’t good it was peak navelgazing jomny sun nonsense

the entire genre of the wacky sadbrain self hating rich person who selfishly abuses everyone around them is regressive and should go away imo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

the entire genre of the wacky sadbrain self hating rich person who selfishly abuses everyone around them is regressive and should go away imo
if i didn’t agree with you before bojack i certainly do now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhIxOqv5Cs0

:hmmyes: (straight in my Radarr queue)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

i agree, it's extremely masturbatory

see also: movies about young scriptwriters/actors/filmmakers, who are smarter/better than everyone else but misunderstood, just trying to catch their big break in hollywood. gently caress off

e: also movies about middle aged businessmen having a crisis trying to figure out why their mansions and cars don't make them happy. especially in hollywood. gently caress off

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 13, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

the entire point of the final episode is that the second-to-final is an incredibly dumb trope where bojack has his bad actions catch up with him, and the audience has the relief of feeling sympathy with him because it is safe and allowed now that his comeuppance had arrived. this is entirely contrary to the theme of the show however, where bojack is an incredibly real hollywood monster who will never face permanent consequences and who will continue to inflict suffering on himself and everyone else forever.

the final episode is vital.

e: should spoiler that a bit i guess.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 13, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

see also: movies about young scriptwriters/actors/filmmakers, who are smarter/better than everyone else but misunderstood, just trying to catch their big break in hollywood. gently caress off

e: also movies about middle aged businessmen having a crisis trying to figure out why their mansions and cars don't make them happy. especially in hollywood. gently caress off
sure all that is true... but...

counterpoint: Synecdoche, NY is a god-tier masterpiece and seymor-hoffman's (rip) magnum opus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

American Beauty was good tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite: literary novels where the main character is a college professor who is having a midlife crisis and sleeps with one or more beautiful students

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1316088866584002561

lol beaten by NMN and a lack of refreshing

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ICE (1994) looks like all -around terrible bullshit but lmao at how to deal with a hostage situation

https://youtu.be/Vh2HmB23obA?t=92

edit: tsk, embedding disabled.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the entire point of the final episode is that the second-to-final is an incredibly dumb trope where bojack has his bad actions catch up with him, and the audience has the relief of feeling sympathy with him because it is safe and allowed now that his comeuppance had arrived. this is entirely contrary to the theme of the show however, where bojack is an incredibly real hollywood monster who will never face permanent consequences and who will continue to inflict suffering on himself and everyone else forever.

the final episode is vital.

e: should spoiler that a bit i guess.

agreed re importance of final episode but

everyone else (except pb) cuts him out of their life, and their life goes on without him; not the first time that happened (eg herb having a full life etc).

there’s more going on than standard premium cable antihero californiacation and i think the creator tried to emphasize over the course of the show how you should not identify with bojack, but i get that not everyone is going to read it that way

and I’m sympathetic to the argument that the depiction is glamorizes it; eg no such thing as an anti-war movie

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
come and see would beg to differ

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

cool

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this looks like someone wrote a predator script and it got rejected by fox

and it's better for it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

my favorite: literary novels where the main character is a college professor who is having a midlife crisis and sleeps with one or more beautiful students

did you steal my manuscript???

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

every stephen king novel: a widowed writer moves to a small town in maine and griefbangs a college girl. also there’s a ghost or w/e who cares

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sometimes it's a poorly-parented child getting drunk

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
and then the writer gets hit by a speeding vehicle

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jabor posted:

and then the writer gets hit by a speeding vehicle

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The fellas making a animation short based on the Blindsight novel by Peter Watts just dropped the finished product after 4 years:
https://vimeo.com/467342474

https://blindsight.space/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/1316199859251150848

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Things I never expected to see for 800

https://tvline.com/2020/10/14/dexter-revival-showtime-season-9-michael-c-hall/

drat why couldn't it have been more Hannibal :mad:

(I only watched Dexter until the end of the season with Lithgow in, but from what I have read it went downhill)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ive never watched a dextwer

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

NoneMoreNegative posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i dont think heroic serial killers and cannibals are appropriate subject matter for tv shows

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:colbert:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

i dont think heroic serial killers and cannibals are appropriate subject matter for tv shows
nice to see a believer in hollywood professional courtesy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i still have not forgiven those craven maniacs for joe dirt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Things I never expected to see for 800

https://tvline.com/2020/10/14/dexter-revival-showtime-season-9-michael-c-hall/

(I only watched Dexter until the end of the season with Lithgow in, but from what I have read it went downhill)

skip the books after the second one too

book 3 completely fucks everything up and it only goes downhill from there

also supposedly he ended the novels, but i'll only believe it when the author dies

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

"it's never too early to stop reading dune sequels Dexter novels"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MacPac posted:

The fellas making a animation short based on the Blindsight novel by Peter Watts just dropped the finished product after 4 years:
https://vimeo.com/467342474

https://blindsight.space/
this is cool but it's more of a trailer of a movie that was never made

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i still have not forgiven those craven maniacs for joe dirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQGH6CbKhw

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rear end Cube

https://twitter.com/XXL/status/1316470312624680964

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

WTF