Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

48fps has inherently less motion blur, something we associate with a "filmic look", which is why your brain thinks it looks like cheap digital footage

Another reason the hobbits were poorly received is potentially because the scripts suck poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cubone posted:

also I have no idea what Peej and his team did for They Shall Not Grow Old but they somehow made variable speed hand-cranked film from WWI look like proper cinema, it's loving phenomenal

and then he made a 3D version that completely undid all that work

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What the gently caress

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Joe Biden in the White House and Dexter flooding the airwaves. God almighty they did it, the bastards made it 2009 again with magic.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

anyone watching Lovecraft Country? it is a loving mess

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I appreciate the attempt at quasi-episodic prestige drama television, but it does feel like a mess at times and I can’t quite pinpoint why.

It seems maybe like the stakes for the show have never really been well established, and the various macguffins trading hands feels like the show spinning its wheels.

Having said that it can be a really fun mess sometimes.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

The outfit they used for some orc looked incredible iirr then they scrapped it for pure cgi lmao. Peter Jackson might be as bad as lucas about cgi at this point

It's the trap of wanting the movie to be exactly what's in your imagination. If you don't have much influence, you have to make compromises that could end up actually being better, even if you're blind to it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What the gently caress

I hope it's going to be just sad lumberjack Dexter, chopping down trees, completely alone.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

What the gently caress

Instead of Ghost Dad hanging around, this time Ghost Sister will keep showing up, trying to bone Dexter.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

What the gently caress

2020 finding new ways to get worse.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cubone posted:

:words: about 48fps

I think it's just nobody's used to it. There were probably some calibration errors and all that, but no matter what, it's gonna be weird. Probably kind of like switching from B&W to color. Even to this day, making something B&W is shorthand for making it look "artsy". It's easier. That obviously, in hindsight, didn't mean there was no way to make color look just as filmic, it just took longer to get it right.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 14, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I bailed a few eps in. It was indeed a mess

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've seen every episode so far (and the season finale's next week so I'll just finish it at this point). It's got some highs but it's really inconsistent and I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.

What the gently caress
This sucks rear end. The finale for that show was terrible but I'm sure by bringing it back they'll somehow find a way to make it even worse.

The first like 4 seasons were pretty good, so it's a shame that it got so dogshit by the end.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Cubone posted:

(29.97 fps :wtc:)

It was a compromise to add color information to existing broadcast spectrum limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJUM6pCpew

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

29.97 aka the editor's nightmare

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

is this from something or just your life

It's most certainly from real life and not at all from a famous play :v:

Zzulu posted:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I would like Gal Gadot and Irish actress Jessie Buckley to pork my body until it is done
I'd also be fine with this, instead :quagmire:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

What the gently caress

I bailed on this lovely, lovely show after season 5, and frankly that was 3 seasons too late.

Rageaholic posted:

I've seen every episode so far (and the season finale's next week so I'll just finish it at this point). It's got some highs but it's really inconsistent and I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.

This sucks rear end. The finale for that show was terrible but I'm sure by bringing it back they'll somehow find a way to make it even worse.

The first like 4 seasons were pretty good, so it's a shame that it got so dogshit by the end.

Season 4 had a great performance by John Lithgow, but season 3 with Jimmy Smits was rear end.

Dexter was a show that seemed good for a time, but in hindsight only the first six episodes of season 1 were worth a poo poo.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Mozi posted:

people say 24fps is optimal for film, yet when you stream your favorite movies on Disney+ or Netflix you are watching at 60fps. looks like peter jackson was right all along

You aren't doing this at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Another reason the hobbits were poorly received is potentially because the scripts suck poo poo!!

This is definitely why I stopped watching the first one about halfway through and this is before the trilogy even got real bad it sounds like!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I watched the first ep and it was tense as hell with that low speed chase with the cop but didn’t come back to it after that and heard some meh things about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've watched the first four episodes of Lovecraft County, ihe first episode was very strong, but afterwards it just fell off a cliff, I don't think I've ever lost interest in a show faster.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

priznat posted:

This is definitely why I stopped watching the first one about halfway through and this is before the trilogy even got real bad it sounds like!

which is funny because the third movie was the only one where stuff happened

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've watched every little thing on the extended LOTR dvds a couple times over, but each of those hobbits was just mind bogglingly worse than the last. It was like the "iffy start but they nailed a couple things" of the force awakens followed immediately by a rise of skywalker shitshow, followed by something even worse

A lot of people promised to make a one movie supercut of them when they all came out but I cant even imagine that would help

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

which is funny because the third movie was the only one where stuff happened

It was when some shitwizard was dogsledding with rabbits or some dumb poo poo I was like “nah that’s enough”

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
my friend took me to Hobbit 3 and I fell asleep during one of the endless fight scenes. dwarf riding the moose was cool though.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm calling the twist ending: it's all a dream and he's actually been bleeding to death back in the war this whole time.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Ingmar terdman posted:

A lot of people promised to make a one movie supercut of them when they all came out but I cant even imagine that would help

Its Future Bilbo writing his book then just play the animated one

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lovecraft country is all over the place, but i think its great. the most recent ep was really good

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Pneub posted:

I'm calling the twist ending: it's all a dream and he's actually been bleeding to death back in the war this whole time.

Zoom out, it's Bilbo alone, injured and dying in a pitch black cave in the Misty Mountains with Gollum closing in. The rest of the movie series was just him dreaming about escaping.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Random “Haunting of Bly Manor” thoughts:

Haunting of Hill House had more scares/disturbing visuals in its first 3 episodes than Bly Manor has in 9 episodes.

Hill House’s tone flips on a dime in the final 20 minutes from horror to sappy sentiment. Bly Manor keeps its tone throughout.

Hill House has higher highs but lower lows, Bly Manor never gets as good as Hill House, but never gets as bad, either.
(I actually said the same thing about Altered Carbon S1 vs S2, so maybe this is a Netflix production thing?)

Bad accents have been mentioned. Henry Thomas seems to be doing more of a Colin Firth impression than an accent. The main character’s Minnesota or whatever accent seems pretty poo poo as well. The actor who plays Peter Quint’s accent is utter garbage, it’s like a bad cockney accent combined with a bad Irish accent with a little hint of a bad Scottish accent all mish-mashed together. I can’t believe they have him acting with actual British people.

Spoiler tags:

What’s the point of the dead fiancé? Seems to amount to gently caress all and disappears for good about half way through.

Didn’t much care for the entire episode devoted to the Lady of the Lake, it seems kind of poo poo to have her be the “gravity well” around which everything else revolves. Also the explanation for the lack of faces seems kind of dumb.

The whole “you, me, us” incantation seems to come from nowhere. I know Peter Quint says he found out about it from the other ghosts in the house, but... buh? Maybe show, don’t tell? Maybe make it part of the Lady in the Lake’s origin story, something her and her husband said to each other? I dunno seemed really random for something that became the key thing.

Overall, by the end I was kind of “meh” on the whole thing, but my wife was bawling her eyes out, so maybe I just don’t have feelings. :shrug:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
When the one dwarf was snoring and inhaling/exhaling butterflies I had hit critical Harry Potter levels of useless nonsense whimsy and tuned out then didn't watch the sequels until this year.

Absolutely bonkers we went from Fellowship, which is nearly a perfect film, to that bullshit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Peter Quint's scots accent was totally bizarre, and the guy playing him is from London so he should have had some clue not like they dropped some californian in there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have important Star Trek news to report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFipAtefUWw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

All his clothes fell off and I've seen everything

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Every so often a show will have a character who everyone won't stop saying their name, and in Bly House it was Peter Quint.

In Dexter that one season it was Chicky Hines.

Speaking of Dexter

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/1316517618350804993

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

priznat posted:

Peter Quint's scots accent was totally bizarre, and the guy playing him is from London so he should have had some clue not like they dropped some californian in there.

Holy poo poo, really?! I assumed he was American from his role in Hill House.

Oh my god, how did his accent come off as the worst in the show?!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Every so often a show will have a character who everyone won't stop saying their name, and in Bly House it was Peter Quint.

Yup. It’s the only name I can instantly remember. I often forget the main character is “Dani,” but “Peter Quint” won’t get out of my loving head.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Holy poo poo, really?! I assumed he was American from his role in Hill House.

Oh my god, how did his accent come off as the worst in the show?!

I know, I have scottish relatives and was like what the gently caress is that?? It's a hard accent to do right everyone always overdoes it.

The best example tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iusUq4-f5U

:haw:

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

:chloe:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
what are they gonna bring back next? The Simpsons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Reality Protester posted:

my friend took me to Hobbit 3 and I fell asleep during one of the endless fight scenes. dwarf riding the moose was cool though.

It's one of maybe three films I've actually fallen asleep in in my entire life.