Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

aside from being a decade too early for cheap enough superhero dctv cg (ultimate battle! built up all season! around a corner that you can’t see!) it uh turns out they didn’t have a plan

there was exactly one good 'sode of season 1 of heroes and it was the one where the crazy strong lady robs a diamond delivery and the chubby telepath has been fired from being a cop and is working security for said diamonds

but yeah they still don't actually fight or anything, i think he just has a gun on her at one point, and it's still cut through with the japanese guys driving the NISSAN VERSA BUY NISSAN VERSA HEROES IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY NISSAN VERSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Futurama had two good finales, a rare feat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Slippery Tilde
heroes would've been a much better show if it'd just been the sylar show

he could've been louder and angier and easily gained access to a time machine

and the rest of the time the other characters would've been attempting to find sylar and asking "where is sylar"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lost sputtered out around season 3 because you can't write a story for a potentially infinite length of time. at that point the episodes got so trash they were able to go to the suits and negotiate how much longer the series would last, and then the plot started moving again

they still beefed the ending, of course. it was so bad and so famously bad that the joker makes fun of it in one of the batman video games

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

haveblue posted:

lost sputtered out around season 3 because you can't write a story for a potentially infinite length of time. at that point the episodes got so trash they were able to go to the suits and negotiate how much longer the series would last, and then the plot started moving again

they still beefed the ending, of course. it was so bad and so famously bad that the joker makes fun of it in one of the batman video games

truly when you’ve lost gamer joker, you’ve lost society

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

talking about heroes makes me miss the 4400

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm pretty sure heroes was conceived and pitched as an anthology where they follow a different group of mutants every season. after the first season blew up the network told them they had to keep the characters people liked, and welp.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

i'm pretty sure heroes was conceived and pitched as an anthology where they follow a different group of mutants every season. after the first season blew up the network told them they had to keep the characters people liked, and welp.

matches what I remember too, there was no plan for anyone past the conclusion of season 1 so they just started making poo poo up as they went along. I guess that means it was ahead of its time because anthology shows are fairly common these days

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mention it because discovery was also conceived and pitched like this and it wasn't until after development started that cbs changed their minds. brian fuller said gently caress it, and the whole production went completely to poo poo for two seasons (so far), with no direction and no one sticking around for more than three or four episodes.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

like sure maybe but i think the anthology thing was a bit of rear end covering its the drat network forcing me to keep all these characters around america has milomania

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
man House is a show I haven't thought about in a while. That show aged like milk.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

man House is a show I haven't thought about in a while. That show aged like milk.

lol the one with dave matthews as a patient

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

i still say the first two seasons of Twin Peaks was the best thing to ever be on TV

agreed op

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol the one with dave matthews as a patient

or the one(s) with fred durst as a bartender

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Fool posted:

or the one(s) with fred durst as a bartender

wow sounds like it sucked poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

heroes would've been a much better show if it'd just been the sylar show

he could've been louder and angier and easily gained access to a time machine

and the rest of the time the other characters would've been attempting to find sylar and asking "where is sylar"

wasn't Sylar a character in the Zybourne Clock

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there was exactly one good 'sode of season 1 of heroes and it was the one where the crazy strong lady robs a diamond delivery and the chubby telepath has been fired from being a cop and is working security for said diamonds

but yeah they still don't actually fight or anything, i think he just has a gun on her at one point, and it's still cut through with the japanese guys driving the NISSAN VERSA BUY NISSAN VERSA HEROES IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY NISSAN VERSA
rogue

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

jj abrams and damon lindelhof: it's absolutely not a death/afterlife thing. there is no way they're in purgatory
jj abrams and lindelhof, s6: btw they're all in purgatory

jj abrams and lindelhof, Star Trek Into Darkness: critic embargo until after opening weekend so no knows we just remade wrath of khan and worse

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chris Knight posted:

jj abrams and lindelhof, Star Trek Into Darkness: critic embargo until after opening weekend so no knows we just remade wrath of khan and worse

no you see... kirk dies instead of spock! fuckin' motherfuck genius. GOTY

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I loved the "it's not kahn" marketing going into the movie too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Into Darkness was fine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i still say the first two seasons of Twin Peaks was the best thing to ever be on TV
eh, the back half of the second season - everything after they resolve who killed laura palmer - was a notch or two below what came before

agreed that the first season and a half are impeccable tv

the finale for trek:tng was pretty great i thought - it nicely summed up everything that was good about the show

homicide:life on the streets had a finale wrapup movie that was pretty good (with a transcendent final two minutes)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

eh, the back half of the second season - everything after they resolve who killed laura palmer - was a notch or two below what came before

agreed that the first season and a half are impeccable tv

I thought they resolved laura palmers murder at the end of the second season? its been a long time. Whatever. I agree that the stuff that came after was very sub-par

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

indigi posted:

Into Darkness was fine

spock punched a guy in the face for five straight minutes on the back of a flying garbage truck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

wealth is a hell of a drug

also I have watched the first two episodes of raised by wolves and it seems pretty stupid? looks nice but the writing is baaad

it gets really bad and the end is hilarious.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

with trek 09 it was fun to spend time with the characters but not a good trek movie

into darkness was peak jj bullshit

beyond was decent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

into darkness was peak jj bullshit

it was bad even as a generic sci-fi action movie. the plot is dumb as hell, but whatever. but the action scenes are all twice as long as they need to be, so you're just bored halfway though and wondering when these assholes will stop shouting for a minute

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think the guy playing bones in the jj treks does a pretty good job

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Roosevelt posted:

i think the guy playing bones in the jj treks does a pretty good job
karl urban? hes great in everything he does (lord of the rings, dredd, riddick, trek, etc.)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

karl urban is good. see also: dredd, almost human

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Slippery Tilde

spock punched a guy in the face for five straight minutes on the back of a flying garbage truck

i liked when he completely housed kirk in the first one

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

karl urban is good. see also: dredd, almost human

almost human was so frustrating because it was kinda lovely by the books serial-NCSI clone network tv garbage with a gimmick that was barely used at all, but it started to get really good and then got cancelled. i suppose that's pretty typical of the time though

but yeah i love urban. see also The Boys

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

he’s also hilarious in that one Thor movie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

almost human

was this any good? i heard bitcoin was featured in it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i was considering giving killjoys a shot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Xaris posted:

almost human was so frustrating because it was kinda lovely by the books serial-NCSI clone network tv garbage with a gimmick that was barely used at all, but it started to get really good and then got cancelled. i suppose that's pretty typical of the time though

but yeah i love urban. see also The Boys

it was also aired out of order, because fox

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it was about as good as you could hope for from the first few episodes of a mid-2000s sci-fi series on fox. they use the name bitcoin, yeah, but it's just "money on a usb stick"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

it was also aired out of order, because fox

it was about as good as you could hope for from the first few episodes of a mid-2000s sci-fi series on fox. they use the name bitcoin, yeah, but it's just "money on a usb stick"
jesus gently caress i forgot about that lmao

god drat fox is fuckinbg trash. have they even had any hits in the last 6+ years?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it was featured in it the same way dollars are featured in other shows, it is just the name of the currency

also the seventh tremors movie just came out and it stars napoleon dynamite alongside michael gross
napoleon dynamite replaces jamie kennedy as the sidekick so it is at least an upgrade
it is so low budget that the stunt crew are the only featured extras and one of them kept switching between an undercut and having her hair pinned back to look like an undercut if you weren't paying attention

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Xaris posted:

jesus gently caress i forgot about that lmao

god drat fox is fuckinbg trash. have they even had any hits in the last 6+ years?

they're still producing the simpsons, what else do they need?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think the worst show i've ever watched has been the mentalist. The "finale" where he gets his nemesis was so bad. They decided to let it go on for a season after that until it was cancelled.

Also all the USA shows, but I love that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

I thought they resolved laura palmers murder at the end of the second season? its been a long time. Whatever. I agree that the stuff that came after was very sub-par

no the studio forced them to resolve it in the middle on the second season and they had no ideas after that and lynch basically quit