Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yuns posted:

Big Snow, the NJ indoor ski facility
Having passed that thing a ton growing up, I've got to ask, was the 25 years or whatever it took building that complex worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Master_Odin posted:

Having passed that thing a ton growing up, I've got to ask, was the 25 years or whatever it took building that complex worth it?
Haven't been there yet but since it gives us the ability to train year round now, it's worth it for our team. I don't think it's worth it for anyone else.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just remember when Lindsey Vonn was there for the grand opening because she's dating PK on the Devils, and she posted a video on her social media and people started giving her poo poo for not wearing a helmet and it's like GUYS I THINK LINDSEY VONN CAN MAKE IT DOWN A GREEN RUN AT 10KPH WITHOUT A HELMET.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Lol, not even just a green, a super mellow green. Lindsey been around NJ a lot because she has a place here with PK now so our kids have met her a few times like at the FIS race and she's been great with the kids.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

posted without comment
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/va...nAA1E5pQQCqJxA8

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The fine for damaging equipment that is itself designed to trigger slides is kinda hosed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I was on their side at first...now not so much. intentionally releasing a slide right over the highway is kind of dumb. Also they were seeing slides all day and still went up there? seems like a bad decision. Not sure they should have to pay for the equipment though. They say something about usually no one gets in trouble if they bury the road but not sure that is actually the case (thinking of spots on Loveland). I ride in that zone a lot though and whenever I considered going over that way it just seems too dangerous with the loop road and tunnel and I-70.

E: I bet we see "no access" signs up there now though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

A fine would be reasonable. Restitution is not

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Sounds like they just want to make an example of these guys by saying don't trigger avalanches in COVID hell world with a huge fine/restitution.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

A fine would be reasonable. Restitution is not

Yeah, I think this is where I land on it. They're obviously trying to make an example out of them but it seems very heavy-handed. Especially since instead of gtfoing out of there they did go down and report the slide and gave them the gopro footage and everything. I feel like this is going to lead to people thinking they'll get in trouble if they gently caress up and just bailing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That is definitely a location with such high traffic that it's probably a bad idea to be riding there in anything but the most stable conditions. The reckless endangerment charges make sense in that context.

I just don't get the damaging equipment bit. That system is there specifically to trigger (more frequent, smaller) slides so it getting damaged by a slide is kinda weird.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Agree with you guys, some sort of fine makes sense.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just got an email from Meadows with a picture from the top of MHX with a lovely dusting of snow.

Got a DM on Instagram earlier from the Union bindings account asking me to call them. Turns out somebody published the product pages for the 21/22 Men's line way too soon and one of the ezloungin nerds was browsing their site at that time, so he posted a bunch of screenshots. They were asking me nicely to delete the threads. Turned that into a working relationship between the high school org and Union now.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That's great. Meadows just published their parking and shuttle plan. It is about what you would expect, other than they are moving RVs over to Sunrise. They are also encouraging drop offs of everyone in the car but the driver.

https://www.skihood.com/about-us/me...o-address-chall

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

highme posted:

Got a DM on Instagram earlier from the Union bindings account asking me to call them. Turns out somebody published the product pages for the 21/22 Men's line way too soon and one of the ezloungin nerds was browsing their site at that time, so he posted a bunch of screenshots. They were asking me nicely to delete the threads. Turned that into a working relationship between the high school org and Union now.
That's great but did you get any grief for taking it down.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Klicker is back/still exists??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIepaqAAFw

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

It sort of never truly went away and now that Burton has revitalized the market for step ins. K2 is refreshing it. I used it back in the day (I think '98-99?) and I don't know if they've solved the problems of snow clogging the cleat or the system slowly failing as the boot softens as it has a dependency on boot rigidity.

EDIT: After watching the video, looks like they are trying to solve the boot breakdown problem by placing a piece of plastic in the front of the boot that cinches down over your ankle with the BOA system.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 16, 2020

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I got this board: https://www.the-house.com/9857chrtesb20zz-chamonix-splitboards.html and these skins: https://www.voile.com/nylon-splitboard-skins-tail-clips.html

They don't seem to play nicely together due to the shape of the tail. What should I do to remedy this?

casque
Mar 17, 2009

huhu posted:

I got this board: https://www.the-house.com/9857chrtesb20zz-chamonix-splitboards.html and these skins: https://www.voile.com/nylon-splitboard-skins-tail-clips.html

They don't seem to play nicely together due to the shape of the tail. What should I do to remedy this?

Swap the tail clips left to right and hook them on the outside instead of the inside.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

highme posted:

Nicely handled!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just FYI, I don't know anything about backcountry stuff but this came across my feed and I thought some of you might be interested. I can't speak to its validity or anything.

https://www.facebook.com/bri.howard.18/posts/10104798993615257

highme
May 25, 2001

Yuns posted:

That's great but did you get any grief for taking it down.

Not yet but I don’t expect any. The pics had already been deleted. Since C3 hosted the forums as easyloungin.com for a few years so I mentioned that as well. Also I made it pretty clear a few months ago that I am out of fucks to give with people wanting to be lovely.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

Just FYI, I don't know anything about backcountry stuff but this came across my feed and I thought some of you might be interested. I can't speak to its validity or anything.

https://www.facebook.com/bri.howard.18/posts/10104798993615257

This has been all over the place the last few days. Personally I use BCA beacons. Pieps really hasn't change the design of that beacon since 2014. Not to say it can't wear out or have issues and no one wants to have it fail when they are under the snow. BD is really good about recalls and I have trusted my life to their cams and quickdraws 1000's of times. It is hard to really say what was going on in these couple situations. Obviously scary.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
In the five minutes of research I've done on this, BD is handling this PR nightmare extremely poorly.

drat that instagram video they posted is victim blamey

That brand/beacon is poisoned, regardless of how reliable it actually is.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ante posted:

In the five minutes of research I've done on this, BD is handling this PR nightmare extremely poorly.

Yes completely agree. It makes no sense to me as it is very unlike BD. When you look at their safety recalls in the past they are always extremely cautious.

I know instagram is such a thing but seems like they should not have used that medium for this discussion.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have a PIEPS Sport beacon and while I've never had an unintentional mode switch, I can see how it could happen in a slide.

That said, if you look at the design of the Barryvox or even the Tracker 3, it's possible although less likely to jostle the mechanical pieces into an unintentional mode switch.

Also worth noting is that while BD continues to make the PIEPS sport, the new PIEPS and BT branded models have a different "lock" on the switch that looks significantly more difficult to unintentionally change. Honestly I would welcome a recall and would be willing to pay to upgrade to the new housing design.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

any shop employees hearing about what Vail plans to do for season passes this year?
last year we had some shop card thing which was different and a bit of a pain in the rear end as opposed to just giving us a season pass discount, but now i’m hearing that they might not even do employee benefits at all due to ~~these trying times~~

if that’s true i’ll have to update my FMK

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
drat my wife has that beacon. Thanks for the heads up.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

That video is bad. I have had this beacon switch off on me in the field, carrying it in its harness (not an avalanche, but my body sliding on the slope). Nothing in that video would have helped. If they said to carry it so the switch was protected, maybe that would open them up to liability? Add capitalism to the list of dangers we need to learn about in avalanche class.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A pin-locked slider switch strikes me as fundamentally less robust to accidental switching than a pin-locked rotational switch.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Isn't a slider switch easier to operate with cold and/or gloved hands?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ya I'm not convinced the design is fundamentally flawed or bad, cuz there's going to be trade offs like you point out. But the company trying to hide and down play a weakness is vile poo poo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Almost certainly yes. But for much the same reasons it is also probably easier to bump in the wrong way during a violent fall/slide.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

I have a PIEPS Sport beacon and while I've never had an unintentional mode switch, I can see how it could happen in a slide.

That said, if you look at the design of the Barryvox or even the Tracker 3, it's possible although less likely to jostle the mechanical pieces into an unintentional mode switch.

Also worth noting is that while BD continues to make the PIEPS sport, the new PIEPS and BT branded models have a different "lock" on the switch that looks significantly more difficult to unintentionally change. Honestly I would welcome a recall and would be willing to pay to upgrade to the new housing design.

I would be really surprised to see the tracker 3/S change positions. It is not easy to pull it and rotate it.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Finally broke down and bought the Ikon pass this week. Hope it isn't a giant waste of money as cases spike up this winter.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

50% indoor capacity from what I saw.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

spwrozek posted:

I would be really surprised to see the tracker 3/S change positions. It is not easy to pull it and rotate it.

tracker 3 seems pretty solid, I'm at 4 seasons on mine without issues

the pressure lock just seems dumb; most people wear them in a hardness which'll get repeatedly jostled and pressed against the body

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

We did it. We got the resort to reconsider and they agreed to host the race team under our proposed COVID-modified plan. Our ski race team is back in business although there won't be any normal post season this year. I'm psyched to get back on snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Came home to a 2021 Capita Stevens Pro & some Union Flite bindings to give away at some point this winter. Trying to come up with ideas for social media based contests and it's nice to have something enticing to give to kids. Now I need to track down similar women's gear because the ladies are killing it too and I don't to only give away poo poo for dudes.

speaking of ladies killing it, here's the teaser for The Uninvited II

https://vimeo.com/469774891