Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
baron omatsuri was about hosoda's time at ghibli. omatsuri represented hayao miyazaki. all that bleakness and anger makes for an excellent movie, but it's not really representative of one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Film festival stuff

Our Seven Days War: the sort of film you’d see on the disney channel, an unchallenging mix between home alone and the breakfast club. Stylistically bog standard, like the many uninspired coming of age films since shinkais smash hits, i can only imagine the writing in the original critically acclaimed book is better but there’s nothing on it on the western web. 5

On-gaku: Our Sound: its very rare for new anime movies to actually bring something original and exciting to the table. This is it. A near solo effort on the animation front, with almost all 40.000 cells done by the director, it has some extremely impressive animation in places, is funny and the story takes unexpected turns. The music itself is also great, rather than the same old promotional songs for its young actors and actresses, its a great tribute to japans underground music scene. Finally its lovely to see some actual delinquents in animation again, rather then the usual shoujo/seinen romance stereotypes. 9

Happy Go Lucky Days: I once heard someone describe Takako Shimura as an author who writes a full story and then only presents half to the audience, keeping the rest secret. This film is a perfect example of that. Consisting of 3 shorts, although one of them is technically divided in 2, focusing on sexuality they have little to grab on to give the viewer a reason to care. None of the characters have much of a personality and i’m not even sure some of them have names. Animation is fine but not nearly as charming as in Wandering Son. Its roots in Manga Erotics F will likely make it too sexual (and offensive?) for mainstream critic acceptance while also being too esotoric for others, personally i was just bored. If one wants mature or sexual romance stories theres better choices. 5

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

On-gaku: Our Sound: its very rare for new anime movies to actually bring something original and exciting to the table. This is it. A near solo effort on the animation front, with almost all 40.000 cells done by the director, it has some extremely impressive animation in places, is funny and the story takes unexpected turns. The music itself is also great, rather than the same old promotional songs for its young actors and actresses, its a great tribute to japans underground music scene. Finally its lovely to see some actual delinquents in animation again, rather then the usual shoujo/seinen romance stereotypes. 9

Oh drat, I'll have to keep an eye out for any screenings of it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
on-gaku was on my radar b/c my fav mangaka gave it a shoutout, so consider my interest doubled

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Test Pattern posted:

Every time I see your AV, I'm astonished you're not posting about the Urusei Yatsura movies,

lol I didn't buy the AV, someone else did. Never saw Beautiful Dreamer and I don't know much about Urusei Yatsura at all but I did see Only You months ago and thought it was very cute.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Test Pattern posted:

Every time I see your AV, I'm astonished you're not posting about the Urusei Yatsura movies

You missed it, but in April 2016 some anonymous mad lad bought Lum Avatars for almost everyone who posted in ADTRW at the time. A thread was made to try to account for all of them, and the final count was 83 avs (though I think a few slipped through the cracks)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Fine: the movie finale to the boring girlfriend series, its been long enough since i watched the series i forgot the identity of anyone but the main character and main heroines. That made some of the drama rather less impactful. Which wasnt helped by it dragging at times during its massive 2 hour playtime.

There’s some great animation in there though , its decently funny at times and the epilogue is great. The contrast between the human megumi and anime eriri and utuha was less prominent here which i found a shame cause that was one of the best parts of the series. Thankfully the meta element was still there. 6

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lupin III: Green Vs Red isn't a very good movie. It's also a pretty bad Lupin movie.

Now, I haven't done the deepest Lupin watching, to be fair. I watched Castle, because everyone should see Castle, I saw Fujiko since Iron Blooded Orphans convinced me I needed to watch more Mari Okada anime, I kept up with Part V when it was on (good show, with a decent emphasis on being a general Lupin primer), and I've seen a few more odds and ends over the years, but the depths of classic Red and Green are still beyond my experience. So, basically, I can get a lot of in-jokes, but they don't carry the most impact.

Which brings us to Green Vs. Red, and a film that needs you to clap when you see a thing you recognize. The plot, such as it is, is kind of a mess. Independently you have

1) A host of Lupin impersonators around the world
2) A pickpocket trying to take up Lupin's identity despite how it harms his relationship with his girlfriend
3) Japan taken over by a mercenary army that's trying to build up a nuclear arsenal
4) A guy implanting his brain in his son
5) A giant robot

The plot never comes together, but there's enough of it to drown out the usual Lupin appeal, since focusing in on the pickpocket means we don't get any good business with the gang bouncing off each other. What's more, the characters get meta with their roles, like in part V, but unlike in part V, it drowns out them existing as people. Jigen's Lupin's partner in crime, not a character who works with Lupin. Goemon barely exists, with his only scene being about him not being able to cut something with someone impersonating Lupin in it. (Which... feels off) Meanwhile, the film is so obsessed with making Lupin a legend it doesn't give him even his standard levels of displayed inner life, while presenting the pickpocket's story out of order so it doesn't connect at all.

There's some kind of fun sequences, but it doesn't really say much, and the unanchored plot makes even the entertaining moments lack weight.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1316480156895195136

This doesn't seem like a great idea. The article says that theaters are going to allow all of their seats to be filled. Will this lead to a spike in cases in Japan, particuarly Tokyo? They just had a holiday weekend not too long ago where there were a ton of people around Tokyo, and yet the cases there have remained around 100-250 a day.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1316480156895195136

This doesn't seem like a great idea. The article says that theaters are going to allow all of their seats to be filled. Will this lead to a spike in cases in Japan, particuarly Tokyo? They just had a holiday weekend not too long ago where there were a ton of people around Tokyo, and yet the cases there have remained around 100-250 a day.
While indeed a poor idea, it sorta makes sense that they'd be optimistic about this going well given how Japan has more or less handled the pandemic relatively well...

Meanwhile my own country is #4 as far as number of deaths are concerned. :cry:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wark Say posted:

While indeed a poor idea, it sorta makes sense that they'd be optimistic about this going well given how Japan has more or less handled the pandemic relatively well...

Meanwhile my own country is #4 as far as number of deaths are concerned. :cry:

At least you're not in America.

I forgot to mention that apparently they're only doing this for the first weekend, so hopefully it won't have a huge impact on the number of cases

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

At least you're not in America.

I forgot to mention that apparently they're only doing this for the first weekend, so hopefully it won't have a huge impact on the number of cases
I'm fairly certain México is in the American continent.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wark Say posted:

I'm fairly certain México is in the American continent.

Sorry, I meant the United States. I didn't have it listed by the total number of deaths, so I assumed you were in Russia

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I watched Aragne no Mushikago or Aragne: Sign of Vermillion, which is a 2018 horror movie funded on Kickstarter and made almost entirely by one guy (Saku Sakamoto). There is something fascinating about projects like that. This movie looks absolutely awful but because it's a horror, the jankiness of animation and uncanniness of character designs contribute to the atmosphere (one thing I really hated was the almost constant shaky cam). Also it's genuinely scary at places! I may not be the best judge of that because I'm a complete wuss and get spooked easily but I don't remember when was the last time I watched a scary anime. The majority of horror anime I know of is more gore and action oriented, and Aragne gave me some major Silent Hill vibes. The appartment complex that the main character lives in is straight out of the Otherworld for example. And even some plot beats seem to be inspired by SH2.

That said the plot is very messy and kinda bad, almost in so bad it's good way. Some characters die 30 seconds after their introduction, the main villain comes out of nowhere. Last 10-15 minutes are a real clusterfuck. Oh, and it's a bug horror. I hope you're scared of moths!

So if you're looking for some titles for Bad Horror Movie Night or something, this is a pretty interesting choice, if you can get over how bad it looks.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Julias posted:

You missed it, but in April 2016 some anonymous mad lad bought Lum Avatars for almost everyone who posted in ADTRW at the time. A thread was made to try to account for all of them, and the final count was 83 avs (though I think a few slipped through the cracks)

I was here for it but totally forgot. Like the many many spidermen in BSS.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Today i watched My Sister Momoko. This is the sister film to Happy Birthday: Inochi Kagayaku Toki, which i first watched several years ago and is also worth checking out. Like its sister film, this is a film about a handicapped girl. In this one its the twin sister who is both mentally and physically handicapped. The film does all the expected story beats one would expect a children's movie about the handicapped to have yet executes them rather well. despite coming out in 2003 it would fit just fine visually in the 80s and the voice acting ranges from bad to acceptable which makes it appear as all around cheap production. All that said, it made me cry 5 times and is just as excellent as its sister at tugging at the viewers heartstrings. 7

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I not sure what story beats to expect because when someone says "a children's movie about the handicapped" the first one that comes to mind is Mac and Me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

You know, misunderstandings about what handicaps are, big brother gets bullied cause he has a handicapped sister, sister gets bullied cause she's handicapped, big brother gets jealous cause sister gets more attention and says some mean things, regrets saying the mean things, someone dies, marital strife because of the issues of caring for a highly dependent child and then everyone comes together to learn a lesson

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I finished my tour through the legendary Idolm@ster series yesterday with the movie ‘The Idolmaster Movie: Beyond the Brilliant Future!’ which is unfortunately rather dull. The drama is nonsensical and the 7 newly introduced idols are boring. Only 2 of them even do anything in the movie and their role in the story is annoying at best. 5

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

I finished my tour through the legendary Idolm@ster series yesterday with the movie ‘The Idolmaster Movie: Beyond the Brilliant Future!’ which is unfortunately rather dull. The drama is nonsensical and the 7 newly introduced idols are boring. Only 2 of them even do anything in the movie and their role in the story is annoying at best. 5

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some stuff I watched over the past few months

First Squad: Moment of Truth - I remember a moderate amount of excitement for First Squad back in the day. The initial music video that would serve as a foundation for the movie got some notice when that came out, and I remember folks were looking forward to it. I never heard anything about the movie itself once it was finally available and now all these years later I sure as heck know why.

First Squad is more akin to a pilot that never got picked up than an actual movie. More involved than a proof of concept, yet completely lacking when evaluated as a movie (and yet, it *is* a movie so it must be evaluated that way). It's a lot of infodumping, a few lackluster action scenes, and then it's suddenly over at the point that would normally be the end of the first act. There's zero resolution to the story, the antagonist is still proceeding with his plans, and so on. I must confess it's hard to say much about the movie itself when it is, charitably, a third of a movie? Maybe our sword-wielding, superpowered heroine would have accomplished something in a fight instead of flailing about and being bailed out every time (including in the finale!). But I can't say that for sure as I can only judge what happens on the screen, and what happens is a lot of dull exposition with unrewarding payoffs. It's not difficult to find supernatural WWII stories and most of them are a better use of your time than First Squad.

Lupin III: Prison of the Past - The Lupin tv movies have been a mixed bag, but fortunately the long break they took before resuming them in 2019 seems to have done a lot of good for them. Prison of the Past feels much more in line with the Lupin tv series proper than many of the feature length iterations. The stakes aren't massive, the villain isn't planning on world domination, and there's even the rare instance of Goemon getting a fair amount of focus in a movie that's not centered around him. It's a breath of fresh air in a franchise that can occasionally grow stale, and sometimes that's all I need.

Aim for the Ace! - Having seen the tv series in the time since I last watched the Aim for the Ace movie, what really stuck out to me while watching it this time around was just how much Hiromi comes off as being thrown to the wolves. Cramming a full tv show into a 90 minute narrative isn't easy, but it could have easily made time to fit in even just one training montage that shows her gradually getting better instead of failing over and over. It's an interesting choice because it really makes her desperation during her tennis matches all the more convincing. At any rate Dezaki's stylistic flourishes do an incredible job compensating for this truncated take on the Aim for the Ace story via its visual storytelling, and it's always a joy to behold.

Crayon Shin-chan: The Adult Empire Strikes Back - I've only seen a few of the Crayon Shin-chan movies but The Adult Empire Strikes Back, much like Urusei Yatsura & Beautiful Dreamer, appears to be the one that gets the most buzz (At least among people who have seen at least 1 Crayon Shin-chan movie in the west, which is admittedly a tiny audience). Prior to this the Shin-chan movies I've seen felt like longer episodes with a grander plot that is just an excuse to play off the usual humor of the show (which is to say, a lot of jokes about butts) with some higher stakes. The Adult Empire Strikes Back aims a bit higher than that, which is to say it has some things to say about nostalgia while also having a lot of jokes about butts. Unlike when nostalgia usually factors in to an anime's plot (such as Dragon Quest: Your Story or Concrete Revolutio, both of which had villains who by the end were firmly defined by their opposition to nostalgia) The Adult Empire Strikes Back turns the table around and its villain is for a type of nostalgia that is never quite defined. He says that materialism doesn't lead to happiness, all while enticing the adults to partake in his nostalgia using merchandise from the toyetic shows of their youth. He wants a return to a simpler time but never explains what makes it simpler. It might not explore the concept as much as I would like, but it's a breath of fresh air to see an anime tackle the concept of toxic nostalgia instead of wallowing in it.

Also some of those butt jokes are pretty dang funny.

Anna (Kidnapper) - A short movie that seems to be patched together from a bunch of different 60s movie homages. At a feature length this would be exhausting, but as a short film there's enough novelty to it.

My Steady is a Witch - The fansubber for this described it as an "ecchi sci-fi story with Jungian psychology" and I sure can't think of anything better to call it. It's a relic of its era. Dated in some iffy ways, but even if I put that aside it's just not particularly funny. It's mildly interesting as a brief gateway into a specific kind of 80s anime humor that you rarely see nowadays, but it's rarely seen for a reason.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: The Movie 1st - Between the unsettling male gaze on preteen girls, the cold logic towards its character arcs, and an exorbitant amount of time spent stumbling in an attempt to make a deeply unsympathetic villain sympathetic, watching this movie sure was an unpleasant experience!

Burn the Witch - Even if I didn't know in advance that this was based on a manga by the creator of Bleach, I feel confident that I would have been able to figure it out. The characters are written in a "cool" way that robs them of any authenticity. And Kubo Tite never ran into a problem he didn't try to solve by rapidly introducing more characters and Proper Nouns. Burn the Witch has a particularly egregious example in which it takes the time to name and introduce every character in the higher echelons of an organization. Only a single one of those characters winds up being relevant, making it feel less like a movie and more like an extended pilot. And I suppose that's the crux of my problem with the movie. I dislike Bleach a lot but I wouldn't mind giving a standalone feature created by Kubo Tite a shot. But with Burn the Witch it is clear that there is more in the pipeline and seeing as how it's speedrunning the aspects of Bleach I despise, following it will just result in me getting burned.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Spriggan, a 1998 anime based on an 80s manga about the U.S. Government trying to steal Noah's Ark to use it to stop climate change. It's an incredibly gorgeous movie with some of the best animation I've seen since Akira, but the story makes absolutely no sense since it takes place in the middle of a long running manga and gives absolutely no context whatsoever. The soundtrack is awesome, it has a lot of sampling in it that reminds me of J.G. Thirwell. It's part of a lost genre of anime where there's an inordinate amount of detail paid to gun and military equipment. Did I mention the animation is incredible? There's not a single bad cut in the whole film. I'm glad I watched it even if I didn't really know what was going on at any point in the film.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I haven't thought about Spriggan in about ten years. Now I want to watch it again because yeah it was an amazing looking movie. Cool action too, and I can't remember a thing about the plot.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It won't look as good but David Production have been making a Spriggan adaptation series for Netflix for release this year.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah the action and props in Spriggan look Incredible. Just a shame about the movie itself. Maybe if I'd read the manga it'd feel more cohesive.

The concept of the ark is extremely cool though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think I watched Spriggan in a high school anime club and forgot everything about it. But I have seen a few clips from it on sakgua compilations and it looks amazing, like the platonic ideal of semi realistic anime designs and movement. The kind of stuff you only really saw in the Cowboy Bebop movie and some of Satoshi Kons work.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Crayon Shin-chan: The Storm Called: The Adult Empire Strikes Back. I feel like it didn't quite go far enough in it's explorations of nostalgia, although it builds a very potent case especially against the boomers and gen-xers that decided to have kids. I also wonder how the optimism of its creators fares against our modern era, where the 21st century has turned very bitter indeed. That said, I understand the foundations of nostalgia a lot better now because this film states them very clearly: there was once a time where the future seemed good. The part everyone says made them cry made me cry too and has embedded itself in my brain forever. So maybe it does deserve the praise it gets as one of the best animated films of all time, despite the lengthy gag interludes. Some of them are good though, for instance Shin-chan and friends metal gear soliding their way past bullies to rob a 7-11. This movie would probably hit a lot harder if I was a japanese person who had intimate familiarity with the things being referenced, but I don't, but it still affected me, so it must be good. That's my review of Crayon Shin-shan Movie 09: Arashi wo Yobu Mouretsu! Otona Teikoku Gyakushuu.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah it had insanely good vehicle animation which is a dead art

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Urotsukidoji the movie and it was fun for what it was. The most obvious thing to compare it to is Wicked City which came out the same year and had similar monster violence and sex. Wicked City is obviously the better made film but the dour tone made it miserable for me to watch. Urotsukidoji in comparison is a pretty good shonen battle and pretty goofy. People say stuff like this:

Or have glowing boners like this:

The animation was well done with really good special effects I haven't really seen done in other anime, the fight scenes were thrilling albeit obviously cribbed a lil from devilman, and sometimes it nailed the horror tone very well, for example a scene where the overfiend uses his tentacle dicks to tear down a hospital and absorb all the people there to make up his gigantic form was some good bits of lovecraftian horror. Then he used his tentacle dicks to fire godzilla lasers and destroy tokyo which was absolutely hilarious! The sex wasn't particularly more gratuitous than a lot of 80s ovas although there was a whole lot more of it. It was also obviously stitched together from the ovas down to having cliffhanger stings when they'd normally end. All in all it was interesting to contextualize certain trends in 80s ovas and the popularity of Urotsukidoji in the western world definitely favored those being brought over. Also it was written by Full Metal Alchemist/Concrete Revolutio/Nadesico writer Sho Aikawa, and he wrote four more of the fuckers so I guess I'm going to get to them eventually in my quest to watch everything by Sho Aikawa. Anyway, this is one of the most influential anime ever made, but don't take my word for it, here's anthony Bourdain on Urotsukidoji:

quote:

BOURDAIN: Demons. That's fantastic. Whether you meant to at the time, you absolutely changed the world of manga. You created an entire spectrum of pornography that didn't exist before. I mean, if you go -- if you go to YouTube now, there is tentacle manga. There -- tentacle and demon manga. There is tentacle and demon anime. A lot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Makaryudo Demon Hunter, a short OVA about a fallen angel sent to Earth to destroy it? Kill demons created by humanity's excesses to bring spiritual balance? It's not very well explained. However, it is well animated and compelling, with great monster designs, some legitimately creepy horror moments, and outfit designs that show clear influence of American heavy metal aesthetics. It's also one of the few known projects of Yukio Okamoto, who directed the back half of The Hakkenden, one of my favorite series. He wasn't in the industry long it seems, but worked on a lot of high profile projects like Hakkenden, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Kochikame before disappearing. Everything I've watched by him has solid and creative animation and I'm very interested in the story of his brief career. For some reason the raws of the entire manga, also short at only 200 pages, are easily available in English speaking websites so I'll be getting those and praying for someone to be interested enough in them to translate them. I'm going to watch Armitage III next, which is Yukio Okamato's final directing credit as far as I can tell.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Burn up! 80s girls with guns anime. Fairly standard fare. Since its from the 80's the cars are still drawn which is nice as the car chase it starts with is the best sequence. The shootout that ends it is nothing special and the movie references scattered throughout don't save it. All that said it was popular enough to get 3 sequel series. 6

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Davincie posted:

Since its from the 80's the cars are still drawn which is nice

Thanks for reminding me how much I loved watching riding bean on back in the day.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Thanks for reminding me how much I loved watching riding bean on back in the day.

the kickstarter sequel ova recently released! they kinda hosed up the release though, as they forgot the subtitles

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the finale Fate Heavens Feel movie, spring song. Fate is a franchise I like more for its parts than the sum of its parts. Individual characters and the concept of mage craft and the amazing animation, music, and general production values from ufotable are all great. I feel like the series does not quite have the gravitas to address some of the subjects it tackles, or wants to get away with both pandering to certain parts of the fanbase while also tackling issues that mean it should not be doing said pandering.

All those vagaries aside, the film has several super hype sections where the music and animation and narrative come together perfectly. It also has some talky bits where characters are needlessly obfuscating about their intentions, or where a dramatic reversal feels contrived. It breezes over certain sections that were probably explored further in the original visual novel but can leave a viewer going “wait, was that thing ever brought up before? How long have they just been keeping Shirou’s soul in a birdcage?

These movies and the other two ufotable tv series are probably all I’ll experience of this franchise as I find the various spinoffs baffling and shameless. But they did good with these movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Old hat but I watched Cowboy Bebop Knocking on Heaven's Door again. I love this movie. It's so laid back because it's basically a plus-sized episode with a much larger budget and it hits on everything I love about the show. That mood it evokes and all the people going about their lives gives it a vibe I haven't really gotten in any other anime film. Also I think it's Jennifer Hale's only? anime voice role? She's quite good as usual. And I like all the animated cameos for the English voice cast and Steve Conte.

Jin Roh is another one of those films I love because there's nothing else like it. I tried watching Oshii's The Red Spectacles and it's fine but it feels like a story that could benefit from animation. Live action Japanese films dealing with alternate timelines and vague science fiction elements need a better production than Red Spectacles could afford. Jin Roh feels like the movie that Red Spectacles wanted to be where it hits that note of realism and fully realizes its setting and aesthetic.

I tried watching the Korean adaptation of Jin Roh and despite sharing the visuals it just did nothing for me the way the original film seeps into you.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 2, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Old hat but I watched Cowboy Bebop Knocking on Heaven's Door again. I love this movie. It's so laid back because it's basically a plus-sized episode with a much larger budget and it hits on everything I love about the show. That mood it evokes and all the people going about their lives gives it a vibe I haven't really gotten in any other anime film. Also I think it's Jennifer Hale's only? anime voice role? She's quite good as usual. And I like all the animated cameos for the English voice cast and Steve Conte.

Jin Roh is another one of those films I love because there's nothing else like it. I tried watching Oshii's The Red Spectacles and it's fine but it feels like a story that could benefit from animation. Live action Japanese films dealing with alternate timelines and vague science fiction elements need a better production than Red Spectacles could afford. Jin Roh feels like the movie that Red Spectacles wanted to be where it hits that note of realism and fully realizes its setting and aesthetic.

I tried watching the Korean adaptation of Jin Roh and despite sharing the visuals it just did nothing for me the way the original film seeps into you.

One thing about Jin Roh that helps it seep in is how it follows the grim nature of its world through to the bitter conclusion. Fuse is sympathetic, relatable, conflicted... but he's a wolf, no matter how he disguises his nature. Watching the film puts you in his company, and makes you see through his eyes without the usual comforting reassurance that the usual way of ending things is the right way. It's haunting.

The Korean film, meanwhile, changes to a conventional ending. Even aside from other quality matters, that leaks through. Unlike in the anime, the viewer is ultimately set at ease. It's not something that sticks with you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ccs posted:

These movies and the other two ufotable tv series are probably all I’ll experience of this franchise as I find the various spinoffs baffling and shameless. But they did good with these movies.
Fate/hollow ataraxia is worth looking into as it is a direct sequel, and IMO is a better overall story than the original. But of course there's no series for it yet and I wouldn't hold my breath for there ever being one.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Woah the new trailer for Mamoru Hosodas Belle just got released and I don’t know the last time I needed to hear the full version of a song so badly. Does anyone know who the singer/composers are?

https://youtu.be/hM8T-6OvWpo

Production wise it looks amazing. This film involves character designs from Jin Kim (responsible for the main characters in Frozen) and some scenes from Cartoon Saloon in Ireland. I think the last shot of the trailer is one of theirs. It also combined hand drawn animation in the real word with cg in digital spaces, making it a kind of time capsule of where the entire art form is at today.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

I watched Urotsukidoji the movie and it was fun for what it was. The most obvious thing to compare it to is Wicked City which came out the same year and had similar monster violence and sex. Wicked City is obviously the better made film but the dour tone made it miserable for me to watch. Urotsukidoji in comparison is a pretty good shonen battle and pretty goofy. People say stuff like this:

Or have glowing boners like this:

The animation was well done with really good special effects I haven't really seen done in other anime, the fight scenes were thrilling albeit obviously cribbed a lil from devilman, and sometimes it nailed the horror tone very well, for example a scene where the overfiend uses his tentacle dicks to tear down a hospital and absorb all the people there to make up his gigantic form was some good bits of lovecraftian horror. Then he used his tentacle dicks to fire godzilla lasers and destroy tokyo which was absolutely hilarious! The sex wasn't particularly more gratuitous than a lot of 80s ovas although there was a whole lot more of it. It was also obviously stitched together from the ovas down to having cliffhanger stings when they'd normally end. All in all it was interesting to contextualize certain trends in 80s ovas and the popularity of Urotsukidoji in the western world definitely favored those being brought over. Also it was written by Full Metal Alchemist/Concrete Revolutio/Nadesico writer Sho Aikawa, and he wrote four more of the fuckers so I guess I'm going to get to them eventually in my quest to watch everything by Sho Aikawa. Anyway, this is one of the most influential anime ever made, but don't take my word for it, here's anthony Bourdain on Urotsukidoji:

The second movie (comprising a cut down version of the fourth and fifth OVA's) has its moments but sadly it's mostly downhill after this, by the third series the animation is so cheap it might as well not exist. The only release of the original five OVA's outside Japan was a VHS box set by USMC that's impossible to find even copies of online.

Fun Urotsukidoji fact, the music was composed by Masamichi Amano who also did the epic score for Giant Robo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing about Jin Roh that helps it seep in is how it follows the grim nature of its world through to the bitter conclusion. Fuse is sympathetic, relatable, conflicted... but he's a wolf, no matter how he disguises his nature. Watching the film puts you in his company, and makes you see through his eyes without the usual comforting reassurance that the usual way of ending things is the right way. It's haunting.

The Korean film, meanwhile, changes to a conventional ending. Even aside from other quality matters, that leaks through. Unlike in the anime, the viewer is ultimately set at ease. It's not something that sticks with you.

I think another thing lacking from the Korean remake is the subtext of Oshii's criticism of Japanese society and more specifically his criticism of the LDP government entrenchment. The Wolf Brigade's pack mentality works as a metaphor for the world as it is and how it will violently react to defend itself against the threat of change represented by Kei and by the other forces within the government looking to break up the Special Unit.

It's not that that kind of story can't apply to the Korean film. The issue is that the remake sets itself around the reunification of North and South and it's a lot harder to believe in that in our current context as opposed to a grounded alternate take on Japan which has a lot more background in real world history of the political unrest of the 1960s. Ihlang transplants the plot of Jin Roh without the background context that makes the film so open to a rewatch. You're mostly left with the surface level Little Red Riding Hood parable.