Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The problem with a Tenet joke is that it requires both Americans who saw it to be in the same thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Titanic rules.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Titanic allowed James Cameron a chance to be a smug prick. Therefore Titanic isn't good.

Also it really sucked. But the Academy loves poo poo films that act pretentious so it won big.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Titanic allowed James Cameron a chance to be a smug prick. Therefore Titanic isn't good.

Also it really sucked. But the Academy loves poo poo films that act pretentious so it won big.

To better triangulate the smug prick: What's pretentious about a romance/adventure period piece?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Capntastic posted:

To better triangulate the smug prick: What's pretentious about a romance/adventure period piece?

if you have to ask...

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Titanic is genuine, there's nothing pretentious about it. People liked to poo poo on it for awhile as some kind of backlash for how massively popular it was, but it's been long enough now that it's time people face the truth: Titanic is good.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Titanic was garbage with money thrown at it. You're delusional.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Oh no, not a movie with a budget

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Titanic 100 years wOw. Prescience couldve saved titanic. Sad to say

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Capntastic posted:

Oh no, not a movie with a budget

You cannot be this ignorant.

Adjusted for inflation it would cost 325 million USD today.

Grandpa Palpatine fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 15, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Look at this dude not adjusting 1912 AD to 10191 AG dollars

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Titanic is a great movie with basically no flaws.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Fremen view Titanic as a comedy

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

steinrokkan posted:

Titanic is a great movie with basically no flaws.

having to sit through six renditions of that god damned song at my 4th grade talent show was a big flaw imo

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I’m going to watch Dune part 1, but if they don’t cast Billy Zane in part 2, I’m probably going to bow out there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Billy Zane as Feyd would be really hard not to love.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Titanic is fantastic, pre-Avatar James Cameron was one of the greatest nuts-and-bolts filmmakers in the industry.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Titanic was great, haters are dumb and wrong babies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Titanic is a classic "Just because it's not for you doesn't mean you have to poo poo on it" movie. Dorks who are mad that not all movies aren't made for them seem to still be really mad about it a couple decades later while nobody else really has a strong opinion, and/or just thinks it's a fairly enjoyable flick.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Titanic had propeller guy therefore Titanic is good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Titanic had the old couple dying in their bed together from a completely preventable tragedy that was the result of arrogance and hubris, so it remains pretty relevant today

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have never seen Titanic. Maybe I will watch that while waiting for Dune, going from "the most water" to "the least water" in movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ummmmm Waterworld??

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Waterworld is hot garbo, but I’d probably rewatch it before Titanic at this point.

Waterworld: A Live Sea War Spectacular at Universal Studios is better than most movies.

Probably better than the Dune version would be, too, unless they got you high on “spice” somehow.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
New "edit" of Lynch's Dune is out:

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/D-U-N-E-D-E-L-U-X-E-E-D-I-T-I-O-N/id/79476

Not had my hands on it yet, but this looks to be the most 'professional' looking edit of the movie I've stumbled upon. By the description definitely should be better paced than the "let's shove as much deleted material as possible and bloat this poo poo" approach the Spicediver edit has.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

You cannot be this ignorant.

Adjusted for inflation it would cost 325 million USD today.

It's not like they wasted any of it. It's a pretty convincing boat disaster.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Capntastic posted:

Fremen view Titanic as a comedy

In that dinner scene the Fremen struggle to understand the concept of fishermen and drowning. Titanic would be a nightmarish eldritch horror to them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pascallion posted:

Waterworld: A Live Sea War Spectacular at Universal Studios is better than most movies.

Probably better than the Dune version would be, too, unless they got you high on “spice” somehow.

A live Dune stunt show event where edibles are distributed beforehand would be cool as gently caress. And they can insert in character music/conversations in it for the ecological/world building stuff.

Basically just make Stunt Rock 1:1 but with Dune poo poo and Pink Floyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eFDJ8UztI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MasqueradeOverture posted:

New "edit" of Lynch's Dune is out:

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/D-U-N-E-D-E-L-U-X-E-E-D-I-T-I-O-N/id/79476

Not had my hands on it yet, but this looks to be the most 'professional' looking edit of the movie I've stumbled upon. By the description definitely should be better paced than the "let's shove as much deleted material as possible and bloat this poo poo" approach the Spicediver edit has.

Not seeing it in my usual fanedit spots yet, but if you wind up finding it would appreciate a PM.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Neo Rasa posted:

A live Dune stunt show event where edibles are distributed beforehand would be cool as gently caress. And they can insert in character music/conversations in it for the ecological/world building stuff.

I went to a drive in screening of Fury Road this summer that included actors and acrobats in costume performing in coordination with the movie and it was pretty fun (edibles were also involved).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cacator posted:

I went to a drive in screening of Fury Road this summer that included actors and acrobats in costume performing in coordination with the movie and it was pretty fun (edibles were also involved).

That sounds amazing

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Barry Foster posted:

That sounds amazing

Yes, they had motorcycles and pyrotechnics too.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cacator posted:

Yes, they had motorcycles and pyrotechnics too.

... are you sure your screening wasn't actually under attack from fierce road-nomads?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Titanic is a beautiful and classial romance that also deals with a story of class struggle and also features one of the grestest disaster sequences in the history of film. It loving rules.

Cacator posted:

I went to a drive in of Back to the Future 1+2 where a poo poo comedian pefofmed before and after each movie and the movie was out of sync with the sound and in the wrong aspect ratio.

Can we trade experiences because holy poo poo yours sounds amazing

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
The best thing about Titanic is the actual historical people running around. The best of whom is the cook seen at the very stern of the ship, who famously said he just kind of let the ship sink from under him and didn't even get his hair wet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1323672053959065601?s=20

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Very much hoping it gets canceled.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So.... as months and years go by before the movie is released, does it lesson the chances of the second half of the movie getting made? I think I might just be angry if the first movie is good, but all the actors aged and went on to other projects before making the sequel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GORDON posted:

So.... as months and years go by before the movie is released, does it lesson the chances of the second half of the movie getting made? I think I might just be angry if the first movie is good, but all the actors aged and went on to other projects before making the sequel.

In the book three years pass between when Paul and Jessica flee into the desert and the big battle at the end. So even if it's a few years between flicks for scheduling reasons I don't think it will matter. Plus quite a few folks get killed or/and don't show up for a while (or haven't appeared yet) after where it looks like the first movie is ending which might actually make scheduling easier like if they just need Thufir for example for like half a minute of voice over and to stand in a crowd at the end or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
smh that Hollywood studios can't just fund a seven hour epic about jihad

we need more films like this