Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.thestepien.com/2020/10/12/keon-johnson-predicting-improvement/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I've started to watch some 2021 stuff and Keon is so much fun. Would probably take him first this year without even thinking twice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

I've started to watch some 2021 stuff and Keon is so much fun. Would probably take him first this year without even thinking twice.

I wonder how many picks deep in 2021 you'd have to go before going "You know I'd take (Ball, Edwards, Hayes) over them

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

I wonder how many picks deep in 2021 you'd have to go before going "You know I'd take (Ball, Edwards, Hayes) over them

That's a really good question. Without thinking too much about it I'd put them around 7 or 8-12. So many 6'4 6'5 pgs coming out in the next few years. A couple obvious hair theory cases

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Just getting started but for me there are like 4 guys (Cade, BJ Boston, Keon, and Jalen Johnson, and the gap with Cade and BJ Boston especially is massive) where it's not even a question and then probably like 6-8 more where I'd have to think really hard about it. And that's with Killian, with Edwards the number is way higher. I'm sure that will change once they actually play games next year, but it looks like a really good class

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 12, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any good draft podcasts they’d recommend?

I listen to Sam Vecenie’s on occasion, but not anything else draft specific.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Boonoo posted:

Anyone have any good draft podcasts they’d recommend?

I listen to Sam Vecenie’s on occasion, but not anything else draft specific.

Prep2Pro is very good

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

Prep2Pro is very good

oh my god, i just started listening to this and the host keeps saying "you know" super fast and several times a sentence. luckily many years of listening to basketball podcasters with awful vocal ticks has trained me for this moment

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

Prep2Pro is very good

Thanks! I’ll give this a listen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

oh my god, i just started listening to this and the host keeps saying "you know" super fast and several times a sentence. luckily many years of listening to basketball podcasters with awful vocal ticks has trained me for this moment

Yeah both of them have kind of annoying and very similar voices which can be rough at first, but they both work hard at it (they're both like 20 years old lol) and the content is good. They also get really good guests, PD Web is basically the unofficial third hosts

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Katana_Warrior posted:

This is another area where wrestling fans have an advantage by being trained by Dave Meltzer to ignore verbal ticks and sound quality issues, in fact I find such things to be inherently amusing now.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Rick posted:

This is another area where wrestling fans have an advantage by being trained by Dave Meltzer to ignore verbal ticks and sound quality issues, in fact I find such things to be inherently amusing now.

roaming into non-wrestling podcast land is weird because it's like, people quickly and concisely lay out their points and move on to new points in a timely fashion?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

the shutdown fullcast has trained me to accept basically anything better than a tin can and a string as acceptable audio quality

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kibner posted:

I don't remember if I posted this before, but this guy has done an extensive write up on Killian Hayes and his other stuff may be worth reading, too: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=24373441&fan_landing=true

Hayes writeup: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K4pWh6JnouEkE_cwfZRpNV40ncR-DHouWCWJuU6cQ70/edit

It's 42 pages, so... definitely clear some time if you really want to read it.

I love this guy's writing. Did he happen to do a writeup of Ja before last year's draft?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.patreon.com/posts/42706679

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dX7nYz9f-y_5Fve9YBheQACeQ0FmvV3wkoUkZ6nkwyI/edit

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Holy poo poo is that Breanna Stewart photo real

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

I love this guy's writing. Did he happen to do a writeup of Ja before last year's draft?

He only started doing stuff this year.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

no

still very lanky

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

gently caress it, i'm all in on the ant man now

defense is for losers anyways

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

some draft thoughts i got rumblin around in my ole headbrain

-cassius winston is the hot pick for the lakers but i actually like daniel oturu for them at 26th; they might be able to buy a second round pick and take nico mannion around for m a x i m u m v a l u e (and because lakers would likely be looking to buy second rounders anyways to fill out the rest of their roster for cheap)
-assuming the kings trade buddy, cole anthony might make a lot of sense for their team as a guy they can slot right in at the 2 and run the offense when de'aaron fox is on the bench
-there is zero chance saddiq bey doesn't get taken by a team in the late teens and then immediately flipped for a vet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Daniel Oturu is going to be completely unplayable on defense and the last thing that team needs is another center. Also Winston is better than Mannion at basically everything except being young (and tbh he was better than Mannion back when he was a freshman too) which doesn't matter if you're the Lakers and are in win now mode. They need guys who are for sure knock down shooters above all else and that's definitely not Nico.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1316395190819655680

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

This is excellent, because the smart-seeming lads from the podcast MorningView linked are very low on him for a lot of the mid-high lottery teams. Either way it goes, someone will end up looking like a goofball

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What is even the best case scenario for Toppin? Montrez Harrell with a 3 point shot?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

What is even the best case scenario for Toppin? Montrez Harrell with a 3 point shot?

Amar'e 2.0!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

Amar'e 2.0!!

Isn't he like 6'8"?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Thick and Long Brandon Clarke with a better shot, but who can only play against slow PFs or thin centers

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

Thick and Long Brandon Clarke with a better shot, but who can only play against slow PFs or thin centers

That's kind of why I err'd towards Trez. I dont think he can play the 4 in the NBA. Dude just seems like a 5 to me because his lack of horizontal mobility.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Isn't he like 6'8"?

Listed at 6'9". Amar'e was listed at 6'10" and measured 6'8.25" at the combine

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

That's kind of why I err'd towards Trez. I dont think he can play the 4 in the NBA. Dude just seems like a 5 to me because his lack of horizontal mobility.

I think he has enough size and jumping ability to do some decent enough rim protection, but hes really top heavy in a way that so many true 5s can just bully him. it's tough to find a spot for a guy who can't switch or defend his own position

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

Listed at 6'9". Amar'e was listed at 6'10" and measured 6'8.25" at the combine

Obviously we have no actual proof if Amar'e grew or not, but he was a HS to NBA dude. He probably was closer to 6'11" in shoes during his player career.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I think cleveland should draft Obi regardless

Let's watch the SexLand/Cedi/Obi/Love lineup try to defend a single pick and roll

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

John Collins with a little playmaking is kind of what I've been going with as the upside

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Katana_Warrior posted:

I think cleveland should draft Obi regardless

Let's watch the SexLand/Cedi/Obi/Love lineup try to defend a single pick and roll

Toppin/Love is an elite name combination duo, too.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Toppin/Love is an elite name combination duo, too.

oh hell yeah!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Makes me miss the halcyon days of Rubio Gay Love Sessions

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The thing that bothers me about Toppin is that from day one he's a burden on your center and wings to help on his man. The Mavericks have found rim running bigs who were a shrug on defense for about an NBA version of dollar fifty. To be worth more than them, he needs to be an incredible three point shooter and a 60% fg guy. He seems like a part time player on a good team, which sucks at #2 or #3 in the draffffffff

Otherwise you're building your roster around the defensive limitations of your 4 man, which seems like a recipe for mediocrity

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

The thing that bothers me about Toppin is that from day one he's a burden on your center and wings to help on his man. The Mavericks have found rim running bigs who were a shrug on defense for about an NBA version of dollar fifty. To be worth more than them, he needs to be an incredible three point shooter and a 60% fg guy. He seems like a part time player on a good team, which sucks at #2 or #3 in the draffffffff

Otherwise you're building your roster around the defensive limitations of your 4 man, which seems like a recipe for mediocrity

most 4s in the nba would've been 3s 15 years ago and as such only a few of them can really bang down in the low post and make you pay for it. all toppin has to do on defense to not be a catastrophic negative is to stay in front of his man, put a hand up if he shoots, and funnel him towards the center; anything past that is gravy

in a sane draft with actual prospects he'd probably be going late lottery-early 20s but it's pretty loving bad out here when anthony edwards: god king emperor of caveats is probably the best pick in the draft

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

most 4s in the nba would've been 3s 15 years ago and as such only a few of them can really bang down in the low post and make you pay for it. all toppin has to do on defense to not be a catastrophic negative is to stay in front of his man, put a hand up if he shoots, and funnel him towards the center; anything past that is gravy

in a sane draft with actual prospects he'd probably be going late lottery-early 20s but it's pretty loving bad out here when anthony edwards: god king emperor of caveats is probably the best pick in the draft

There seems to be a hidden risk in taking sure thing obvious guys like Toppin, sometimes they aren't sure things and you might as well have taken a swing at whichever of the wings in this draft you like the measurements of, in hopes of getting the next Danny Granger, Pau George, Kawhi, etc. That's my general thought about the bums at the top of this draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the super brain genius pick is to take devin vassell, poku, or kira lewis jr. and maybe grab grant riller in the second