Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently excess xbox one SoCs are being dumped into other channels?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TechEpiphany/status/1316364000880361473

weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If AM4 really is supposed to last AMD to 2022 and there is a Zen3 Refresh next year, theres a chance of AM4 board refreshes that support USB4 (and TB3 by default), as Intel will get USB4 on desktop in March and already has it on laptops. I imagine they would hang an independent controller off the chipset's PCIe lanes and not do a whole new Asmedia design, but i dunno this is all just guesswork.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, I could see that happening, but not by like December or so when I'd need it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's not the first time harvested XBone APUs have turned up in other devices. The first was something called the Chuwi Aerobox, which lists a 2.53GHz A9 9820 APU with Radeon R7 350 graphics which happens to look exactly like the XBox chip.

I don't know if you can actually buy one of these, but they have a product page https://www.chuwi.com/jp/product/items/Chuwi-AeroBox.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I could see that happening, but not by like December or so when I'd need it.

oh yeah, sorry missed that part. Yeah i havent heard any rumblings about refreshes soon and I think GN explicitly said he talked to the board partners and nothing big was planned.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
This looks deliberately deceptive as opposed to clumsy ol' AMD being bad at naming schemes again.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

repiv posted:

weird

Saw that earlier and I'm broke brained enough to buy it when my paycheck comes in. When Aliexpress ever gets around to actually shipping it to me, will respond with a trip report.

Hope the BIOS is unlocked, would be hilarious to crank the crap out of it. Wish it was ITX.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

With glowing reviews like this who could pass it up?

quote:

The productivity of the process is slow, fast, fast and fast, and easy to use, ale on the mother's pay is one Interfas display HDMI. I can't complete this game. Can, Mi can come to adapter cable. 30 Sep 2020 01:10

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wouldn't even the A8 and A10 series of Bulldozer-era APUs already be more powerful than the Jaguar SoC?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuturePastNow posted:

It's not the first time harvested XBone APUs have turned up in other devices. The first was something called the Chuwi Aerobox, which lists a 2.53GHz A9 9820 APU with Radeon R7 350 graphics which happens to look exactly like the XBox chip.

I don't know if you can actually buy one of these, but they have a product page https://www.chuwi.com/jp/product/items/Chuwi-AeroBox.html

apparently it is the Aerbox motherboard, or at least very close to it. looks like the PCIe slot is new?

https://twitter.com/momomo_us/status/1316526293479952384

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gary oldmans diary posted:

This looks deliberately deceptive as opposed to clumsy ol' AMD being bad at naming schemes again.

"clumsy ol' AMD" has always been in control of their marketing

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 15, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

weird

So... does it come with all the platform specific crypto functions and management functions disabled? Someone invested enough effort into a BIOS to make it generic enough for a typical ACPI PC?

e: nvm thought it was Series X

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I was just reminiscing about old gaming with some friends last night. Before Ryzen, when was the last time AMD were on top in CPU land. Was it the Athlon 64?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hambeet posted:

I was just reminiscing about old gaming with some friends last night. Before Ryzen, when was the last time AMD were on top in CPU land. Was it the Athlon 64?

I don't know if they were on top, but I remember getting an Athlon 64 X2 because they were affordable and ran really fast.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hambeet posted:

They were still competitive with the Phenom IIs for a while, but that was around when Intel really started pulling away.

The Athlon 64s might have been the last time they were unquestionably on top, though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

"clumsy ol' AMD" has always been in control of their marketing
I don't know the history here but interleaving different classes of products in what should be a single series of the same market segment has gotta be a new level.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
AMD's been pulling this kind of stuff on their GPU side for a while now. The Rx 200 series was a particular mess with chips from 4 different architectures (Terascale 2, GCN 1, GCN 2, and GCN 3), with different levels of Direct X/Open GL/Vulkan compatibility, being sold under the same generational branding.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I’d love to get insight into how the marketing mindset works - Microsoft with the weirdass S and X stuff across generations comes to mind

movax
Aug 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I’d love to get insight into how the marketing mindset works - Microsoft with the weirdass S and X stuff across generations comes to mind

I'm sure there was a committee involved and anyone with any sense didn't have the political clout to call the product manager / VP a loving moron.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The short answer is that whenever you're coming out with something new, marketing always wants it to be Higher Number, even when it leads to cases where the labeling ends up being misleading.

It's why APUs and mobile processors were numbered the same as CPUs despite the CPUs being one-generation ahead, and why they switched to the 5000 series immediately to try and reunify the branding in the first place

And then they're breaking it again because marketing is dumb

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

should've called the new Xboxes the Xbox 6

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They are probably naming it that way because the projections showed they will move .07653% more units per adjusted margin GAAP PPP per watt unit adjusted for inflation (estimate given in GBP per meter)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

The short answer is that whenever you're coming out with something new, marketing always wants it to be Higher Number, even when it leads to cases where the labeling ends up being misleading.

It's why APUs and mobile processors were numbered the same as CPUs despite the CPUs being one-generation ahead, and why they switched to the 5000 series immediately to try and reunify the branding in the first place

but also why you are releasing both zen3 and an inexplicably regressive zen2 die soon and you need the lesser of the two to also not be dead on arrival

so, uh, why does lucienne exist as a public SKU again? it's not just a random die it's an R7, the 5700U. Why again?

the rumors I heard were that lucienne was some google exclusive poo poo or something, not the 5700U.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 15, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know. It does make sense that a Zen 2 part should be labeled to be distinct from the Zen 3 part, if you're ever going to be selling it in a way that customers have to be capable of making that distinction. I was just trying to provide a explanation for why the bad naming happens.

"B550-A"!!!
"B450 II"!!!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

shrike82 posted:

should've called the new Xboxes the Xbox 6

Xboxen. :colbert:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Microsoft named it the XBox Series X because they know kids will say XBSX as XBsex

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Microsoft named it the XBox Series X because they know kids will say XBSX as XBsex

More like some exec is still fuming about xbone and made drat sure the new name shortened to something *cool*

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

Sexboxen. :colbert:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FuturePastNow posted:

mum says it's my turn on the sexbox :colbert:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 15, 2020

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

FuturePastNow posted:

that's pronounced zibbix prove me wrong

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

HP/Dell/Lenovo et al. come into AMD office "listen here jack, we're releasing <pc/laptop> 2021 soon, but new chips aren't in yet. we need to increment numbers tho or consumers won't buy our bullshit". and thus, amd updates some firmwares to shut them up because they're not intel (yet?) and can't just tell them to gently caress off

because pcs are cars now and OEMs want a new year model every year even if absolutely nothing's changed

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 15, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Xbox X Series X version 2.X eXtreme exditixxon X

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

shrike82 posted:

I think they don't want to number their consoles because they think they'll always be perceived as one "behind" Sony (which is insane) and if they skip a number then you've got people asking the "why not Windows 9????" question all over again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

your friend wicka posted:

I think they don't want to number their consoles because they think they'll always be perceived as one "behind" Sony (which is insane) and if they skip a number then you've got people asking the "why not Windows 9????" question all over again.

it has to be this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
lol all they had to do to fix that was call xbone pro xbox 4 but nope

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Call it the hexbox because it's cursed to only run old xbone games

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Inept posted:

Call it the hexbox because it's cursed to only run old xbone games

The console for tiktok witches

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Are there new motherboards coming out that support the new Ryzen chips? I'm not sure what to search for and keep running into existing boards that are getting a BIOS update for it. I know that's great for people looking to upgrade, but what happens if someone is building a new system? Can you flash it without an old chip? Or would those come already flashed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

does x570 support 2 m.2 drives without any fuckery like PCI slots or SATA ports getting disabled? asking for my lil asrock board that could