Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's also a VA panel which have bad response times in practice (aside from a few Samsung models)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cartoon Man posted:

Saw this at costco. Yay or nay?

32" FHD VA = no

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Thanks guys, that’s why this thread’s the best.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm thinking about upgrading the old HP screen I have at home since I might start using my desktop for more work-related stuff (video editing and photoshop and some document work in InDesign).

Though I'd love an ultrawide, would this be up to par? Have an older 1080 in it so maybe some light gaming here and there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTMCNLX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QS0HFbD5H4Q2T

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 20, 2020

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Paul MaudDib posted:

32" FHD VA = no

What about the 27" 1440 here with 144hz:

https://www.costco.com/acer-27-clas...Fjb67qQkZKvuzM4

Been waiting on them to drop for awhile but not really sure where they're at, seems like a good deal compared to what they were when I was building my CPU year and a half ago.

Don't know if price will show if not logged in, but it's 250.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

FilthyImp posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading the old HP screen I have at home since I might start using my desktop for more work-related stuff (video editing and photoshop and some document work in InDesign).

Though I'd love an ultrawide, would this be up to par? Have an older 1080 in it so maybe some light gaming here and there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTMCNLX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QS0HFbD5H4Q2T

That's not an ultrawide, 16:9 is the standard widescreen AR. That said, ultrawide is the single most budget-unfriendly thing you can ask for on a monitor. If you're going to do work, I do not recommend sticking with 1080p. I'd buy a 4k 60hz IPS monitor, make yourself some money, and then buy a proper gaming monitor to go alongside it in a few months.

take me you ANIMAL posted:

What about the 27" 1440 here with 144hz:

https://www.costco.com/acer-27-clas...Fjb67qQkZKvuzM4

Been waiting on them to drop for awhile but not really sure where they're at, seems like a good deal compared to what they were when I was building my CPU year and a half ago.

Don't know if price will show if not logged in, but it's 250.

That's still a VA panel, and it's a model that doesn't seem to have any meaningful reviews so I can't say anything about it. Sometimes Costco does have good monitor deals, but without knowing more specifics I can't recommend that one. Even if you're on a tight budget and don't want to drop the $380 on a 27GL83A, I'd be much more comfortable going with one of the known-decent 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Innolux based options that show up every so often at $300.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I got the Dell S2721DGF, Dell's offering that uses the LG panel everybody likes, and it's really nice so far.
I sadly only have my work laptop to use with it right now until I can complete a new PC build once things come back in stock, so I have to be content with word processing and general desktop use at 144hz.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like that 27GN950 is the real deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUOYICd7-l4

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
What's the best bang for the buck 1440 ips monitor at this time? Are there any TV alternatives?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Monitor/Display Megathread - LG 27GL850 or LG 27GL83-A

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TheDK posted:

Monitor/Display Megathread - LG 27GL850 or LG 27GL83-A

Monitor/Display Megathread - LG 27GL83-A if u sicc, LG 27GN950 if u slicc, LG 34GK950F if u thicc

I hate that loving meme so that was painful for me to type (like most of my posting).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Monoprice has their 27” 1440p 144hz monitor on sale for $180 through their eBay store

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392919791971

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Monoprice has their 27” 1440p 144hz monitor on sale for $180 through their eBay store

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392919791971

I notice that's a TN screen - I wonder how the viewing angles hold up.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

repiv posted:

It's also a VA panel which have bad response times in practice (aside from a few Samsung models)

Doesn’t that model have strobing backlight though?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Just got an email for an early release of the LG 48" CX in Australia for $2799 with free express shipping. Kinda hurts that it's only $200 less than a retail 55" but it's only $200 more than a 38" 160hz :thunk:

I don't have a HDMI2.1 card yet, will it do 120Hz at a lower resolution?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah you can do 1440p120 over HDMI 2.0, and VRR works on Turing cards

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cygni posted:

It’s only 800 bucks too. I was expecting a grand.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

IbrahimSom posted:

What's the best bang for the buck 1440 ips monitor at this time? Are there any TV alternatives?

27GL83-A or 27GL850

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kalman posted:

Picked up a Acer XV272UV from Micro Center for $300 - refresh of the UP which supports 170 Hz and has a claimed 0.5 ms response time. (Yes, Acer monitor naming schemes are dumb and the 272U Vpb is different than the 272U Pb.)

First high refresh monitor so I don’t have a good basis for comparison but the picture quality seems very good except for a pretty noticeable lower left backlight bleed even with brightness set properly. (Could also be IPS glow, have to check that.) TFTcentral says this is probably the refreshed version of the Innolux panel that’s used in the Gigabyte and a couple other monitors.

I also ordered a 27GL83 to side-by-side against it, and Amazon says it’ll get delivered this week. (Whichever one is worse goes back.) But if it holds up, might be another option for those with a MicroCenter nearby.

So, the GL83A arrived. Set it up and the 272UV is going back. I think it had slightly better motion clarity (at least as far as handheld photos from an iPhone doing testufo can tell), but in order to get there it's overshooting more. Could not tell the difference between the 144 Hz the 83A offers and the 272UV's top end of 170 Hz, but I'm old.

I'd say if you're in MicroCenter range and the extra 80 bucks for the GL83A is really going to be a problem it's probably worth considering the XV272UV (UM.HX2AA.V02), but if you can swing it, I'd pick the 83A over it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My only gripes with the GL83A are incredibly minor, which tells me I made a great choice.

I wish it had a separate physical button for power so I don’t have to hold the one single button down or click it then joystick over to off. I also wish it had zero sick-gamer-red plastic and speakers.

The display quality has been exactly what I want though so I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My biggest gripe with the 83A (other than not owning one) is the ultra-cheap-looking AC adapter compared to the one that comes with the USB hubbed model. I'm sure it's fine, and the beefier adapter is for the powered USB ports, but it just looks like the weakest link in a good product.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My biggest gripe with the 83A (other than not owning one) is the ultra-cheap-looking AC adapter compared to the one that comes with the USB hubbed model. I'm sure it's fine, and the beefier adapter is for the powered USB ports, but it just looks like the weakest link in a good product.

Oh thats another one, I had to use a different plug and move and bunch of stuff around because the power cable for the 83A is much shorter and has a giant brick plug.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Cygni posted:

I'm a bit confused, this doesn't have HDMI 2.1, does it? How is it pushing 4k@144?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's using lossy DSC compression to hit 4k144, which is better than the chroma subsampling earlier 4k144 monitors used but still technically lossy

HDMI 2.1 monitors are coming next year

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Guess I'll continue deciding what flavor of UW 1440p works best for me, then.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

repiv posted:

It's using lossy DSC compression to hit 4k144, which is better than the chroma subsampling earlier 4k144 monitors used but still technically lossy

HDMI 2.1 monitors are coming next year

So the similarly priced options are either 4k@144hz with a 3090 and a lossy gaming experience that may not even hit the 144hz frame cap or a 38" 1440p@160hz with a 3080 that is almost always gonna hit the frape cap

The former is kind of a bummer honestly. But 1440p already looks great to me so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah, I'm still curious how much DSC actually impacts image quality though

The compromise with chroma subsampling is obvious but DSC is a much more complicated scheme that should be able to allocate bits better

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The people that have tested the 27GN950 seem to think the DSC is a non issue, which is a good sign. I was real skeptical about it at first.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Just got an email for an early release of the LG 48" CX in Australia for $2799 with free express shipping. Kinda hurts that it's only $200 less than a retail 55" but it's only $200 more than a 38" 160hz :thunk:

I don't have a HDMI2.1 card yet, will it do 120Hz at a lower resolution?

I was looking at that one too, I would pass. Its direct from LG, more expensive then the 55 inch from 3rd party stores and they want you to do a direct bank transfer to buy it and you get it when ever they have stock...gently caress that

Rumour is LG have heard the silence from people like me and might be moving to open sales and a better price come November

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

HDR1400?
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/asus-rog-swift-pg32uqx-with-32-ips-panel-4k-resolution-144hz-g-sync-ultimate-and-hdr-1400/

quote:

This will be Asus’ first gaming monitor to feature VESA DisplayHDR 1400 certification, with the 1,152 zone Mini LED backlight helping to offer high end local dimming support beyond previous FALD backlight options with more zones. There is also a wide colour gamut with >90% DCI-P3 coverage offered, along with a 10-bit colour depth to support HDR content.

We have more specs for the screen now and know that it should offer a 3840 x 2160 resolution, 4ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 1400 cd/m2 peak brightness (HDR), 178/178 viewing angles, 10-bit colour depth and >95% DCI-P3 colour gamut coverage. Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) is also mentioned in the features on taobao.com who have a product page up for this screen now.

Interestingly the product page on taobao.com lists the screen as having a DisplayPort 1.4 connection AND an HDMI 2.1! This could be one of the first monitors released with this new interface option, and if accurate that means it should be able to support the bandwidth for 4K @ 144Hz with 10-bit colour and full RGB chroma.

This screen is also using a Native G-sync hardware module which means that if the HDMI 2.1 spec is true, NVIDIA must have a new version of the module (v3 shall we call it?) in production and available, as the current v2 has only DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 connections.

This is probably a very expensive monitor...

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 15, 2020

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I bought the 83A apparently just as supply ran out on Amazon, and the power cable is pretty mediocre. That said, I also bought a bunch of 3' grounded extension cords to make cord management and monitor mounting easier, and the LG cable reaches exactly to the floor, so I lucked out there.

An extension cord really should be a suggested accessory, since they give you HDMI and DisplayPort cables in the box.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
On the recommendations of this thread, I went with the good ol' 27GL83A-B, and the first time I turned it on, it was great.

Every time since then, when I turn it on after it's been off for a while, the colors are atrocious, like super oversaturated or something. No settings are actually different in the monitor's OSD or on my computer. I have to either reset the "picture settings" with the OSD, or unplug and replug the HDMI cord in order to fix it. After that, it's back to normal and great for as long as I leave it on.

First pic is the bad, when I first turn it on and plug it in:

Second pic is the good, after I replug or reset picture settings:

Maybe related: the max resolution is supposed to be 2560 x 1440, right? Well I'm currently using it as a 2nd display for a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 while I wait for my PC build later this month, and apparently I can set it to 3840x2160. Aside from the above issue and a warning when I connect the HDMI that the resolution isn't supported, it seems to be running fine? I'm confused.

Anyone have any idea what's going on and how I can prevent this?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Paul MaudDib posted:

3 meters (colloquially, “10ft” for Americans) is the absolute max limit and it is spotty even then.

They make “repeaters” that let you string together multiple cables, they seem to work OK, and it doesn’t seem to impair VRR .
I didn't realize this was a thing. I'm using a passive DP cable at 165hz with my PX7 Prime and haven't had any issues with G-sync and 10bit color enabled. I just made to get a fully VESA certified one that's thick as hell.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JMBosch posted:

Maybe related: the max resolution is supposed to be 2560 x 1440, right? Well I'm currently using it as a 2nd display for a Macbook Pro Retina 2015 while I wait for my PC build later this month, and apparently I can set it to 3840x2160. Aside from the above issue and a warning when I connect the HDMI that the resolution isn't supported, it seems to be running fine? I'm confused.

I haven't had the color issue specifically, but I have seen the resolution thing when plugging in HDMI sources. From what I've read, I believe that the monitor has a built in downscaler to accept 4k content from sources that don't know what 1440p is. It should look a little better at native 1440p.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lamo the rumored price for the 32" Asus HDMI2.1/144hz beast is $6400 (converted from Chinese currency)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if displayport has loss over 6ft or whatever without a more complicated setup, what exactly is its purpose over hdmi?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's just a function of bandwidth, HDMI2.0 has better range than DP1.4 but the latter can move about twice as much data

HDMIs bandwidth was massively increased in 2.1, beyond what DP1.4 can do... and its range correspondingly dropped to just a couple of meters

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's honestly borderline crazy that they work at all. DP 1.4 has 25.9 gbit/s of effective bandwidth. PCI-E 3.0 x4 has 31.5gbit/s of effective bandwidth, and the connector is many times larger and the spec length much shorter.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I imagine a big part of the speed comes from it not being guaranteed delivery. Like UDP packets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

It's honestly borderline crazy that they work at all. DP 1.4 has 25.9 gbit/s of effective bandwidth. PCI-E 3.0 x4 has 31.5gbit/s of effective bandwidth, and the connector is many times larger and the spec length much shorter.

It's gonna get even more restrictive in the future too, the next version of DisplayPort is leapfrogging HDMI 2.1s bandwidth but they're talking about the faster modes probably requiring the cable to be permanently tethered to the display because having connectors on both ends would degrade the signal too much