Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

food court bailiff posted:

i fixed your glaring omission

I'll allow it because rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Slothful Bong posted:

CT facts:

- it’s not illegal to drink as a passenger in a moving vehicle

I don’t think this is true anymore.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
CT Facts:

We got this guy (and these people):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMRMeWd61c

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I’ve met old money rich people and none of them speak with that breathlessly oh so clever speaking that the writers use.

Even the cadence is wrong. It’s like they talk at a pace just 10% faster than normal human speech patterns

This is why I couldn't stand watching it with my wife. It's the uncanny valley of dialogue.

The actors don't pause to think about what the other person said. Instead they have the perfect sarcastic reply ready to go and they fire it off without hesitation. It's like the writers are so full of themselves that they're trying to cram an hour's worth of their brilliant dialogue into 45 minutes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Where outside of the US in general terms? I have no idea what country where the Gilmore Girls would be a recognizable brand name but Connecticut an unheard of obscurity

This has been my experience in and around Paris, France.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This has been my experience in and around Paris, France.

Ah. They are obsessed with michel. Of course.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

McGavin posted:

This is why I couldn't stand watching it with my wife. It's the uncanny valley of dialogue.

The actors don't pause to think about what the other person said. Instead they have the perfect sarcastic reply ready to go and they fire it off without hesitation. It's like the writers are so full of themselves that they're trying to cram an hour's worth of their brilliant dialogue into 45 minutes.

The writer/creator wears twee steampunk top hats to all public events and I feel like that tells you everything you need to know about this show

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Nutmeg and steady habits yo! I love New England as a whole so I suppose I'm biased but I quite like my home state.

To add to the facts/food

- CT was the first state to issue permanent license plates
- The term 'nut megger' was historically an insult
- Shady Glen also does an insane steamed cheeseburger

- When I was 9 (on a dare) I took a poo poo in the Farmington River

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

McGavin posted:

That's a good description. It's like on the later seasons of Bob's Burgers when Gene makes bizarre statements and nobody reacts as the scene continues.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gilmore Girls and Ms. Maisel are both very twee and 2clever, but the scenes are snappy and watchable. Rory sucked but I think she was made irredeemable because they changed writers in the 5th season. The reboot written by the og writers made her into a tragic failure because of her flaws, so it was way more interesting.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
making GBS threads in the farmington river is extremely good and cool and did it under the bridge overpass right at the bottom of avon mountain.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Stew Leonard's is awesome af when youre high and have the munchies. their ice cream is really good and sometimes you can get six packs of store made ice cream sandwiches made with glazed donuts that are loving awesome

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
youre supposed to come to think rory is great and lorelai is actually an immature child buy ive now watched the series six times and cant fuckin stand rory, just let your mom live her middle class small town life jesus loving christ

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

realtalk, the year in the life miniseries or whatever it was called was pretty good because it drove home the point that despite being precocious and brilliant rory is horribly flawed in ways that mirror both her mother and grandmother, and turns her flaws and obnoxiousness from the original series into a more crucial character point

the time jump kind of distorts what all of this means

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Lorelei was a poverty tourist and I hate her for it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
The thing that really loving pisses me off is going up 91 and seeing all the tobacco barns torn down and being turned into condos or townhouses or some poo poo

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

500excf type r posted:

The thing that really loving pisses me off is going up 91 and seeing all the tobacco barns torn down and being turned into condos or townhouses or some poo poo

I left CT in 2014, they got rid of the red tobacco barns? Burn the state down, sad.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I left CT in 2014, they got rid of the red tobacco barns? Burn the state down, sad.

I don't get out that way very often but the last time I was out that way was probably last year sometime and they were in the process of dismantling them and it was sad. I went out that way a few days ago and there was active construction and it was disgusting and it makes me mad as heck.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

Stew Leonard's is awesome af when youre high and have the munchies. their ice cream is really good and sometimes you can get six packs of store made ice cream sandwiches made with glazed donuts that are loving awesome

I spent the first few years of my life in Norwalk and then we'd go often as my aunts lived there. We'd beg our parents to go to "La Vaquita" for the small farm they had/have in front of the store. The food is genuinely pretty good though.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I left in 2011. Who genuinely stays in Connecticut? It's a great place to grow up but it feels otherwise so limited.

Full Disclaimer: I've never seen the Gilmore Girls. I'm here for the Connecticut chat. I have tubed down the Farmington river twice and found a flask in it that I disinfected, washed, and have kept since.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Emily was the best Gilmore girl. Lorelai was having a lifelong rebellious phase and Rory got hosed up by being told she was a special Disney princess by everyone her whole life.

Logan was the worst, in this and every other show with a Logan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
a hearty gently caress you to this thread for reminding me it's been ages since I rewatched Gilmore Girls :argh:.

You New England sickos couldn't just have your thread, you had to remind me of my favorite terrible 'snappy writing' show...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

sassassin posted:

Emily was the best Gilmore girl. Lorelai was having a lifelong rebellious phase and Rory got hosed up by being told she was a special Disney princess by everyone her whole life.

Yes. All the jackass characters in this show are the best ones Michel, Emily, Luke, Mrs Kim etc

sexpig by night posted:

a hearty gently caress you to this thread for reminding me it's been ages since I rewatched Gilmore Girls :argh:.

You New England sickos couldn't just have your thread, you had to remind me of my favorite terrible 'snappy writing' show...

I'm from Kentucky and have never been to new england. The rhode island thread told me I had to make a connecticut thread to get my gilmore girl questions answered so i guess this is their fault though. There probably just should have been a new england thread tbh

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deep fried clams with the bellies. Mmmm

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Nutmeg and steady habits yo! I love New England as a whole so I suppose I'm biased but I quite like my home state.

To add to the facts/food

- CT was the first state to issue permanent license plates
- The term 'nut megger' was historically an insult
- Shady Glen also does an insane steamed cheeseburger

- When I was 9 (on a dare) I took a poo poo in the Farmington River

Shady Glen burgers do own but gently caress that little paper cup of water and the tiny rear end sodas

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I've only seen Gilmore Girls a handful of times but it felt like every "witty and funny" conversation went something like this

Character A: "I'm going to make an assertion that is patently absurd and ridiculous and maybe related to pop culture!"
Character B: "I'm going to point out some logical flaw in this assertion in a deadpan voice?"
Character A: "I'm going to apply that flaw to my original assertion with a voice of thoughtful, forced sincerity!"

I swear this exact sort of interaction was something I saw in each episode I saw and I remember thinking, wow, this can get insufferable really fast

maybe it's just the booze talking rn

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man
The "nutmegger" name is of unknown origin, but a common theory is that Connecticut traders peddled counterfeit nutmegs (that is, wooden balls carved to look like nutmeg) and developed a lasting reputation among buyers.

I see the usual suspects like steamed cheeseburgers have already been covered, but CT claims to be the birthplace of the hamburger and you can still get one at Louis' Lunch in New Haven.

The state flag is of the boring "state seal on a blue field" variety.

The state motto translates to "he who transplants sustains," which is amusing because most people born there want to transplant to anywhere else.

Growing up on the border with Massachusetts was fun because both states have blue laws, but their blue laws are different, so knowing when and where you could buy booze always required some thought.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm from Kentucky and have never been to new england. The rhode island thread told me I had to make a connecticut thread to get my gilmore girl questions answered so i guess this is their fault though. There probably just should have been a new england thread tbh

I'm sorry for my part in this (never seen Gilmore Girls, tbh, I just promised hot takes) but if there's anything you actually want to know, go for it.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'm here for the hot takes, why do so many people from x-bury leave CT? Danbury, waterbury, roxbury etc

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Krataar posted:

I'm here for the hot takes, why do so many people from x-bury leave CT? Danbury, waterbury, roxbury etc

Let me tell you about all the good things in Waterbury such as

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Lorelei was a poverty tourist and I hate her for it.

I think her problem was she had Boomer levels of effortless success and had basically worked her way back up to the bottom fringe of Society where it then became necessary to send Rory to fancy school

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Krataar posted:

Part of it is because we have like, ten towns that end in -bury, so if you meet someone from CT then chances are fairly good that they are from a -bury town.

What with it being the season for spookiness and all, this is probably a good time to bring up how parts of rural Connecticut got to be a part of the New England vampire panic.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 15, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

beyond all the obvious terrible things about gilmore girls the lowkey worst parts were the matire d' (or whatetever his job was) at the hotel lorelai worked at who was just a loving huge piece of poo poo to everyone 24/7 but this was somehow charming, or curt, the incompetent who would just randomly find jobs and do a terrible job at them... which was also charming????

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

sassassin posted:

Logan was the worst, in this and every other show with a Logan.

I love Logan, he is self aware enough but also unapologetic also wasn't too muchof a raging trust fund bro like the rest of the Team Daddies Money.

The lifestyle he is rocking is on :allears: levels of fantasy for me, ngl. I'm more of a Jess guy.

Also, holy poo poo Stars Hollow would be the most boring place to live as a non white person jfc.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

taylor is a sentient next door post about black youths trying car doors, watch out!!!!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Micheal Ian Black is from Connecticut.

This is my contribution to the thread.

Gwienneth
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Who genuinely stays in Connecticut?

I stay in Connecticut. It's a great state with great pizza.

We're also rarely on fire, got all the seasons, and easy access to
Boston and NYC.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

✓ Pizza
✓ Burgers

:frogout: Frog Fight of 1754 :frogon:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Gwienneth posted:

I stay in Connecticut. It's a great state with great pizza.

We're also rarely on fire, got all the seasons, and easy access to
Boston and NYC.

Only half the seasons are any good though

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

free hubcaps posted:

hello op i have never seen gilmore girls but i am here to answer your questions about ct

Meriden is kind of a lovely small city, it's main claim to fame is ted's steamed cheeseburgers, a connecticut delicacy!

I grew up mostly in Meriden and really liked it. I live in a different part of New England now and still miss the Daffodil Festival.

One time in middle school I had to make a phone call and the only nearby payphone was in Ted's. I went in there and everyone turned to stare at me like a Twilight Zone episode. They stared the whole time I made my call, until I left. Wtf was that about?

Despite everyone's belief that CT is 100% rich people, I lived in the projects for a long time. Everyone who meets me still thinks I must be rich :negative:

Also, the Gilmore Girls is bad and represents CT about as accurately as most tv shows represent NYC.

Krataar posted:

Danbury's too loving expensive, Waterbury is trash, and Roxbury is boring. That's why.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Krataar posted:

cause ct sucks rear end and has nothing to do, eat or gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwienneth
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks!
I have it on good authority that Connecticut's main attractions are swimming in Quassy, stepping on broken glass, catching frogs, loving, and stealing makeup.