Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's generally not something you'll get an easy answer on. Start calling and try to see if they can get them to send someone out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

movax posted:

I use the Actiontec ones as wired backhaul in my house right now — rock solid, and even support VLANs.

Used to get 800 Mbps or so with just 2, but I added a 3rd to support my girlfriend’s office and it’s dropped to 200. Maybe quality of coax, maybe something else but at least it works and is stable.

I have a similar setup, getting about 400Mbps. With the first generation adaptors, I had to power-cycle them a few times a year to fix link problems, but the MoCa 2.0 adapters have been rock solid.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Internet Explorer posted:

That's generally not something you'll get an easy answer on. Start calling and try to see if they can get them to send someone out.

I finally got one person to say they’d escalate it, but the five people I talked to before kept reiterating “more speed simply isn’t possible”.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yoohoo posted:

I'm moving into a new house at the beginning of next month and ideally I'd have a fiber connection. The only place that offers fiber in my area is CenturyLink but they only offer up to 30mbps at my address. Strange I think, so I plug in some addresses of my neighbors. They all have 940mbps. I hop on their online chat and try to figure out why, but it's useless. I can get internet through xfinity cable if need be, but what I'm trying to figure out is why do all of the neighboring houses in the entire area have access to high speed fiber except mine?

I upgraded from CenturyLink DSL to fiber a couple months ago. The technician who came out to do the installation was great, but everyone else we dealt with was some combination of unhelpful, rude, or untruthful. It was definitely worth it in the end though!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok, network geeks please help.

I explained on the last page how yesterday I found out the coax to my modem just fell apart basically at the modem end, resulting in the internet going down. I replaced the coax, and since then, my faultless-in-2-months-since-install internet has gone to poo poo. I have to reset the router (C7) every hour or two as eventually everything stops working. I can connect to the network via wifi or hardwire, but I'm only getting 169.254 IPs and no outside internet access. While resetting the router works, connecting my desktop directly to the modem also doesn't work with the same symptoms. So if resetting the router works, why isn't plugging directly to the modem working? Cant hit router console. I factory reset the router (after spending time making DHCP reservations for like 15 devices :negative:)

Upgrading to an edgerouter and UAP is basically a foregone conclusion at this point but I need the poo poo to work at least for a couple weeks while I wait for new hardware to arrive. Any smoking guns in my description here that might help nail down a cause?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Ok, network geeks please help.

I explained on the last page how yesterday I found out the coax to my modem just fell apart basically at the modem end, resulting in the internet going down. I replaced the coax, and since then, my faultless-in-2-months-since-install internet has gone to poo poo. I have to reset the router (C7) every hour or two as eventually everything stops working. I can connect to the network via wifi or hardwire, but I'm only getting 169.254 IPs and no outside internet access. While resetting the router works, connecting my desktop directly to the modem also doesn't work with the same symptoms. So if resetting the router works, why isn't plugging directly to the modem working? Cant hit router console. I factory reset the router (after spending time making DHCP reservations for like 15 devices :negative:)

Upgrading to an edgerouter and UAP is basically a foregone conclusion at this point but I need the poo poo to work at least for a couple weeks while I wait for new hardware to arrive. Any smoking guns in my description here that might help nail down a cause?

If I recall you ended up using another run of coax that was installed for a previous ISP, right? The cable could be bad, or the connection to the neighborhood line could be bad. Have you tried logging into the modem itself and checking what the signal and power levels look like? The problem sounds like your modem, not your router.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Cable looks good but I did forcibly rip it from it's staples. Like I said it was fine for over 2 months so I don't think it's the outside line. If it's the modem though why can't I hit the router interface?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

The Cable looks good but I did forcibly rip it from it's staples. Like I said it was fine for over 2 months so I don't think it's the outside line. If it's the modem though why can't I hit the router interface?

I'm not sure - you have a lot of variables in play. When you connected directly to the modem and couldn't get online was it after rebooting the modem? It's a standard cable modem on an ISP like Comcast, right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

but I'm only getting 169.254 IPs

Take your router and factory reset it. Unplug all the wan-side garbage. Plug two devices into your LAN side switch ports and see if they can dhcp. If so, can they ping each other? If not, can they ping their repective "dhcp has failed autoconf addresses (169.254.x.x) ? Add a wifi device to the mix, do the same thing between a wired and wifi.

If this doesn't work your device has failed, go to best buy and buy a router to get back online. If it does work we can start to work backwards to the WAN side of things. If it works-then-fails (maybe do this right before bed, leave the wan unplugged and see if it still works in the morning) it's still failed. You probably have a psu or capacitor or flash chip going inside the device.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bioshuffle posted:

Is the latest Google Nest mesh + router liable to go on sale at all for Prime Day? I wasn't sure if they reduce the price at all or keep it steady.

I am selling my Google WiFi 4 base station set up if you're interested. It's the version that has an Ethernet port in every base station so you can easily bridge to wired devices. Let me know and I'm certain we can agree on a reasonable price together. Everything works perfectly, I just moved on to UniFi stuff.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

TraderStav posted:

I am selling my Google WiFi 4 base station set up if you're interested. It's the version that has an Ethernet port in every base station so you can easily bridge to wired devices. Let me know and I'm certain we can agree on a reasonable price together. Everything works perfectly, I just moved on to UniFi stuff.

Unfortunately, the whole "Google constantly listens and records what you say" thing was a deal breaker for my partner.

I tried to bring up the fact that our phone does it too, but I had made the mistake of showing them the articles about how Google has people who listen to your recorded audio for voice recognition purposes.

I guess I'll never live in a smart home.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
You can always turn that off on your phones. :)

Privacy concerns aside, voice commands never clicked with me. I just don't enjoy them.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Unfortunately, the whole "Google constantly listens and records what you say" thing was a deal breaker for my partner.

I tried to bring up the fact that our phone does it too, but I had made the mistake of showing them the articles about how Google has people who listen to your recorded audio for voice recognition purposes.

The older white ones aren't smart speakers. Only the Nest Wifi ones have smart speakers included.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

The older white ones aren't smart speakers. Only the Nest Wifi ones have smart speakers included.

The older ones had a hidden mic didn't they?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

H110Hawk posted:

The older ones had a hidden mic didn't they?

The only microphone that "snuck" (using that lightly because they did add a relevant feature for it), was the Nest Guard unit. Google Wifi doesn't have a mic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Buff Hardback posted:

The only microphone that "snuck" (using that lightly because they did add a relevant feature for it), was the Nest Guard unit. Google Wifi doesn't have a mic.

Correct, no microphones on these guys. I'm going to be throwing it on SA-mart at some point today, bit hit me up if you change your mind.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Take your router and factory reset it. Unplug all the wan-side garbage. Plug two devices into your LAN side switch ports and see if they can dhcp. If so, can they ping each other? If not, can they ping their repective "dhcp has failed autoconf addresses (169.254.x.x) ? Add a wifi device to the mix, do the same thing between a wired and wifi.

If this doesn't work your device has failed, go to best buy and buy a router to get back online. If it does work we can start to work backwards to the WAN side of things. If it works-then-fails (maybe do this right before bed, leave the wan unplugged and see if it still works in the morning) it's still failed. You probably have a psu or capacitor or flash chip going inside the device.

I'll try some of this at home tonight. I have other routers laying around I can mess with. Another thing, though I cant see how it would be the culprit, my puppy chewed up my ethernet cable thats out in the living room. Its not completely severed but it doesn't work. Could leaving something like that plugged in cause any issues? I've unplugged it now so I'll see when I get home. I did not reset the modem when I directly connected my desktop to it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

I'll try some of this at home tonight. I have other routers laying around I can mess with. Another thing, though I cant see how it would be the culprit, my puppy chewed up my ethernet cable thats out in the living room. Its not completely severed but it doesn't work. Could leaving something like that plugged in cause any issues? I've unplugged it now so I'll see when I get home. I did not reset the modem when I directly connected my desktop to it

It could be introducing noise or other faults, yes unplug it and throw it away.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I worked for a big company and one day a contractor came in and plugged in a new device to the network and turned it on

Turns out it had an autoconfigured static IP that conflicted with some master ip, took down our whole network for the time it took to call the tech and yell at him to unplug the device from our network (10 minutes)

Cost us a bunch of money in fines and service outage stuff, good times

Don't ever leave old poo poo plugged in that you're no longer using

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I unplugged it before I left home like 6 hours ago. Just tried Plex and I was able to hit it fine. Maybe the cable was the problem

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I worked for a big company and one day a contractor came in and plugged in a new device to the network and turned it on

Turns out it had an autoconfigured static IP that conflicted with some master ip, took down our whole network for the time it took to call the tech and yell at him to unplug the device from our network (10 minutes)

Networks are the worst.

codo27 posted:

I unplugged it before I left home like 6 hours ago. Just tried Plex and I was able to hit it fine. Maybe the cable was the problem

I hope this works, if you see any hint of regression you should consider just stopping troubleshooting and replacing your device. Consumer hardware fails all the time.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

In what ways would a newer "mesh" AP, eg Linksys Velop, outperform an older AP, eg Apple AirPort Extreme or Express, with regards to signal propagation? Currently my cable internet comes into the worst possible place, and I'm not in a position to do anything about it for the time being. Both the modem's builtin WiFi and my Apple AirPort Extreme drop off from around -35dBm while in the same room to -70dBm in the living room. The SNR is ~10dB. I'm leaning towards using a powerline adapter to resolve this issue, but I thought I would ask if an upgrade would do anything, since I would like have a single WiFi setup covering the three rooms.

I just feel like there is such a drastic drop-off from where my modem is located that any money spent on mesh would just be wasted. I messed around with my AirPort Extreme and Express combo, and while it was able to provide a relatively good signal throughout, the throughput was of course garbage.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anybody know if it's advisable to upgrade an EdgeRouterX to the latest firmware on Ubiquiti's downloads page, 1.10.11?

Or should I stick with an earlier firmware like 1.10.9?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Anybody know if it's advisable to upgrade an EdgeRouterX to the latest firmware on Ubiquiti's downloads page, 1.10.11?

Or should I stick with an earlier firmware like 1.10.9?

.11 is solid and has security updates.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
So, situation:

Family of six. Four children are all remote learning, all have chromebooks using Wifi (two of which are in the finished basement, and two of which are at the opposite end of the house from the router.)

Wife and I work from home. Hers is almost all phone-based, but also using a macbook on wifi (also at opposite end of house.) I use the computer cabled to the router.

The router is whatever router Verizon gave me for Fios several years ago. I can look up exact model when I get home later if needed.

I also have a wifi extender towards the back of the house.

So far, this has mostly held up to the abuse. It's definitely showing it's vulnerability, though. Lag, patchy signals, and outright drops are becoming more common.

My plan:

- Buy a new router with a substantial upgrade.

- Upgrade my internet speeds with Verizon.

Please tell me in which ways this is stupid, and if it's not, which router would you all recommend? Performance is far more important than price. (I'm not especially keen to throw myself completely into a full-on home networking, I have a billion other projects going... but if I have to then I have to. Just would rather keep it as simple as possible.)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What is your current internet speed? Also, how old is the router in question (typical lifespan is about 7 years I find, but couldn't back up with stats)

Many of us will recommend some combinations of Ubiquiti gear but this is most ideal if you have (or can fish) Ethernet cable through the walls so you can have a few Wireless Access Points around larger houses/buildings. For instance, I recently purchased a UniFi Dream Machine to pair with my new Gigabit Fibre connection. If I had Wifi Coverage problems I'd put an In Wall AP or nanoHD nearby with seamless handover, connected to the UDM by pre-existing Ethernet in the walls. If I was doing that, and especially if I wanted to add security cameras too, I may go for the Dream Machine Pro instead (although not mandatory, I can add them to the regular UDM).

However, as you'll see, Google's Nest Wifi and similar products are popular in the thread

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
As preached in early replies, I like the Netgear Orbi hardware with its dedicated wireless backhaul. I’ve got it built out with 4 satellite nodes spanning my house and the basement apartment next door.

Consistent 450-500 mbps when jacked in via Ethernet to a satellite and over WiFi around 375 mbps.

Easy to setup and performs well under load. 4 adults on video calls all day plus assorted streaming for kids and lots of big file copying by me.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Current plan is 150/150.

Current router is Fios G1100.

Would it work to push my plan to 1G, and get a Netgear Nighthawk and just be done with it?

I really don't have the time to go fishing cables and setting up switches, etc (including the time to learn how to do these things properly)...

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Buy a Nest Wifi or two and if it doesn't work in a day return it?

Edit, how big a space do you have to cover here?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If you want dead simple/no cables, I'd buy a Google/Nest Wifi or Eero 3 pack and set up a wireless mesh.

150/150 is like... 5 4k video streams, so you could upgrade but not likely the issue here.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Ok. If I do that, I have to also buy a new modem, yeah?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Current plan is 150/150.

Current router is Fios G1100.

Would it work to push my plan to 1G, and get a Netgear Nighthawk and just be done with it?

I really don't have the time to go fishing cables and setting up switches, etc (including the time to learn how to do these things properly)...

I've never heard of someone liking the nighthawk stuff.

150 is probably fine unless there is a lot of streaming video going on, even with 6 zoom calls going. Open the stats window in zoom while you have a giant 50 person video meeting going - you will likely be surprised how little bandwidth it uses.

I imagine that you lack wifi reach and a mesh system will solve your issues. If you get one with ethernet ports you could even potentially remove some wifi clients from your network. I assume you have at least 15 clients (6 computers, 6 cell phones, 3 misc.) if they are all chattering away on 2.4ghz at max power to try to talk to your single AP then that would make it hard to be heard. The solution is to get to 5ghz, which has terrible range, or reduce client count. A mesh system could make the former a reality.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Networked doorbell questions again. Do we have any opinions about Wyze other than it being your average Internet of poo poo company owned by Google?

I'm still looking for a complete package that also includes remote triggering of the door strike, but the doorbell is $30 and cheap enough that I could live with replacing it a few times. Also not obviously stated to be collavorators with police.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Networked doorbell questions again. Do we have any opinions about Wyze other than it being your average Internet of poo poo company owned by Google?

I'm still looking for a complete package that also includes remote triggering of the door strike, but the doorbell is $30 and cheap enough that I could live with replacing it a few times. Also not obviously stated to be collavorators with police.

i don't think wyze is owned by google

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok. If I do that, I have to also buy a new modem, yeah?

You just plug the output from the modem into the new router

Any modern wifi system should be fine. My vote is for the nest/google wifi system simply because I already have it, but any of the pricier options ought to be fine

And echoing what somebody else said, wifi equipment tends to degrade within 5-7 years for whatever reason, expect to replace your WiFi every 5 years

There have been huge advances in wifi beam shaping, mesh everything etc in the last five years, ripping out what you have and replacing it all will probably resolve a lot of minor issues like too many devices on the same channel, trying to broadcast at max strength constantly etc etc

If you can push your primary node closet to the middle of the house by running a $7, 15' ethernet cable from the modem to the WiFi main node, all your sattelite nodes will perform a lot better

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Internet hasn't poo poo the bed anymore since I disconnected the bad cable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shameless plug relevant to current discussion: selling my Google WiFi system. It's the one that has Ethernet connections in each base station so you can bridge to wired devices really easily through your house.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944119

I can edit this out if not okay to post.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

You just plug the output from the modem into the new router

Any modern wifi system should be fine. My vote is for the nest/google wifi system simply because I already have it, but any of the pricier options ought to be fine

And echoing what somebody else said, wifi equipment tends to degrade within 5-7 years for whatever reason, expect to replace your WiFi every 5 years

There have been huge advances in wifi beam shaping, mesh everything etc in the last five years, ripping out what you have and replacing it all will probably resolve a lot of minor issues like too many devices on the same channel, trying to broadcast at max strength constantly etc etc

If you can push your primary node closet to the middle of the house by running a $7, 15' ethernet cable from the modem to the WiFi main node, all your sattelite nodes will perform a lot better

I know you plug the modem into the router, but can you plug the mesh router into the G1100 (which is already a router) directly? Or would I have to get a new modem only and use that?

If I can plug the mesh into the G1100, any issues with the throughput of that?

H110Hawk posted:

I've never heard of someone liking the nighthawk stuff.

150 is probably fine unless there is a lot of streaming video going on, even with 6 zoom calls going. Open the stats window in zoom while you have a giant 50 person video meeting going - you will likely be surprised how little bandwidth it uses.

I imagine that you lack wifi reach and a mesh system will solve your issues. If you get one with ethernet ports you could even potentially remove some wifi clients from your network. I assume you have at least 15 clients (6 computers, 6 cell phones, 3 misc.) if they are all chattering away on 2.4ghz at max power to try to talk to your single AP then that would make it hard to be heard. The solution is to get to 5ghz, which has terrible range, or reduce client count. A mesh system could make the former a reality.

This makes sense, thanks. I imagine you're all probably right and mesh is the way to solve this. I don't really have a way of running ethernet cables through the house, other than potentially vertically at one end. My house is a long rectangle and the Fios cable comes in at one end, and that's where the modem/router is currently. I could drill down right there to run one ethernet down to the basement and have one of the mesh waps down there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

Internet hasn't poo poo the bed anymore since I disconnected the bad cable.

:toot: I hope it sticks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I know you plug the modem into the router, but can you plug the mesh router into the G1100 (which is already a router) directly? Or would I have to get a new modem only and use that?

If I can plug the mesh into the G1100, any issues with the throughput of that?

Yeah you can stack a new wifi system on top of an existing router. You'd just plug the mesh router into one of the open ports on the g1100. No problem. At my old house we had some comcast thing which I never bothered setting up the router/wifi, I just plugged in my OnHub (v1 nest router) to the router and used the wifi from the OnHub and it worked great, especially since we were renting at the time and whenever we moved, all the devices are already setup with the onhub's ssid/password. The new mesh stuff will just consume that port as if it's talking to a modem.