Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Also all the USA shows, but I love that garbage.
psych was genuinely a great show. just absolutely 10000% better than it had any right to be.

monk was fun and enjoyable

burn notice had a very strong (for USA) first 1-2 seasons and woweee it went to loving poo poo real fast holy hell. they clearly wanted to filler it out and string along and the writing (especially fiona) went to absolute dog poo poo quick. fionas character handling was just ughhhh; just constanty flipping between im STRONG FEMALE EX-IRA SPY TERRORIST GUN EM ALL DOWN I LOVE GUNS to being weak cliche ~female jiminy cricket consciousness~ no michael no!! cops are people too you know

royals pains was horrible right from the start though. woe is me im a mega billionaire in the Hamptons and my 18 year old son sprained his ankle but I just can’t take him to the PUBLIC hospital because it’ll ruin his future political career if it ever comes out he had broken ankle so I spent 500 million building a private ICU in our guest room just for us to use, plz treat him? and just played completely straight as if we were supposed to nod our heads and sympathize with hampton elite

Mr Robot is the best show they've ever done and one of the beter TV shows i've ever seen, I was surprised that it was even a USA show at all. i have no idea how it lasted it's entire length that it did and easily could have been HBO

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

psych was genuinely a great show. just absolutely 10000% better than it had any right to be.

monk was fun and enjoyable

burn notice had a very strong (for USA) first 1-2 seasons and woweee it went to loving poo poo real fast holy hell. they clearly wanted to filler it out and string along and the writing (especially fiona) went to absolute dog poo poo quick. fionas character handling was just ughhhh

Monk and psych are both really good. I rewatched both of them this year and while monk holds up, psych has a lot of very questionable episodes e.g. there is one where a white dude is raised by an asian family and talks with an asian accent the whole time.

Yeah i'm not quite sure what was up with Fiona's character. She goes from being gung ho about shooting bad guys, to being super clingy and so dependent on michael, to feeling bad about shooting people which is weird because she's an arms dealer and an ex ira member. The first couple of episodes are amazing because she has a really bad irish accent which I guess they told her to just stop doing for the rest of the show. Bruce Campbell was on point and really carried the show imo.

Suits and White Collar were also 2 USA shows that I stopped watching because they became way too hard to follow.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

psych has a lot of very questionable episodes e.g. there is one where a white dude is raised by an asian family and talks with an asian accent the whole time.
I don't remember that episode (tbf a lot of them blur together), but it's common for someone (regardless of ethnicity) raised from a young age in an family who speak with an accent to also speak with an accent (albeit usually much weaker) so that doesn't seem questionable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

the all-time best ending to any show ever was Newhart and if you disagree, you are cordially invited to kiss my lily-white rear end

actually 30 rock had the best final season and finale, and will forever.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Xaris posted:

I don't remember that episode (tbf a lot of them blur together), but it's common for someone (regardless of ethnicity) raised from a young age in an family who speak with an accent to also speak with an accent (albeit usually much weaker) so that doesn't seem questionable.

yeah, when one of my exes went to first grade the teacher called her parents because they thought she had a speech impediment. but it was just that her dad is from argentina

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm watching sopranos again, and tony seeing uncle ben on the rice box and having a panic attack is hilarious

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best ending I have ever seen is probably frisky dingo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

actually 30 rock had the best final season and finale, and will forever.

rewatching 30 rock this year and i gotta say it got so many things right that were just waiting to blow up 5-10 years after the snow ended.

bill cosby and harvey weinstein are the most obvious, but it’s kinda amazing how culturally relevant the show still is, for being a pretty topical show at the time.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
what is 30 rock

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
oh drat people watch that poo poo?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
sopranos is good and hilarious.

thinking back to people not getting it and wanting to be tony soprano is super funny and adds to the enjoyment of watching it again

its like mad men in that some people really get caught up in the aesthetics, the veneer of glamour, and not realize that the people are all terrible and/or horrible failures.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's a really good show with a good heart. idk if it's your style though.

e: there is an episode where tina fey dates james franco and he has an anime body pillow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgUFcxIR4o

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

sopranos is good and hilarious.

thinking back to people not getting it and wanting to be tony soprano is super funny and adds to the enjoyment of watching it again

its like mad men in that some people really get caught up in the aesthetics, the veneer of glamour, and not realize that the people are all terrible and/or horrible failures.

people should emulate paulie's hair because that poo poo is amazing and punk as gently caress

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

30 rock is very silly but it has so many jokes per minute that if like 1 in 5 jokes land it’s still pretty funny.

it’s definitely not a serious show, though. the main fun is watching alec baldwin play a bush era republican

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

30 rock is very silly but it has so many jokes per minute that if like 1 in 5 jokes land it’s still pretty funny.

it’s definitely not a serious show, though. the main fun is watching alec baldwin play a bush era republican

I'm not watching that nbc cbs sitcom poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it won like 15 emmys

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SmokaDustbowl posted:

people should emulate paulie's hair because that poo poo is amazing and punk as gently caress

aaaaa

SmokaDustbowl posted:

aaaaaaaaaaa

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it’s a good show. it’s a little too earnest for 2020 but i still think the idea of president bush nicknaming someone “cooter burger” is funny so judge me if you want.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it also has a shitload of star wars references because donald glover was a writer on it and he loves star wars.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

it’s a good show. it’s a little too earnest for 2020 but i still think the idea of president bush nicknaming someone “cooter burger” is funny so judge me if you want.

cool I'll check it out after the next episode of young sheldon

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this is equivalent to you saying "you should watch the wind rises" and people responding "lol yeah i'll check it out after secret toilet pantsu shaming xviii" so fair enough i guess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

this is equivalent to you saying "you should watch the wind rises" and people responding "lol yeah i'll check it out after secret toilet pantsu shaming xviii" so fair enough i guess

id empty quote this post too

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

speaking of which, the new season of golden kamuy is starting. I don't know what group is subbing it, but whatever. hope they keep the super gay bara sauna scene in

the artist of the golden kamuy manga was given a cover on a manga magazine, but they rejected the super bara cover he did lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lol anime

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
frankly the double page spread of a dude loving a bear should be in a museum

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
golden kamuy is like a history book with tom of finland illustrations lmao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
you can like it for other reasons though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

you can like it for other reasons though

if you like history and culture of indigenous japanese, but also like violent buff dudes dealing with the aftermath of the russian japan war it's awesome

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

is it cultural appropriation to be enough of a fan of another culture that you want to convert to it somehow

i feel like there needs to be another term for that, like a longer form, more generic descriptor for weeb

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is it cultural appropriation to be enough of a fan of another culture that you want to convert to it somehow

yes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
do you even have to ask that, look at british indian food etc

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
anyway I'm down with sugimoto yeeting a wolverine

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

it also has a shitload of star wars references because donald glover was a writer on it and he loves star wars.

i liked when they had carrie fisher on, she seemed like she understood the tone of the show quite well

as opposed to when they finally somehow tricked condi rice on and she clearly didn't get that she had been used to mock the bush admin for several seasons at that point

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

do you even have to ask that, look at british indian food etc

chicken tikka masala is really good tho. this is an objective fact.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jabor posted:

and then the writer gets hit by a speeding vehicle

"Shaggar'ed again!" (as the kids say these days).

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just finished reading Ninefox Gambit, it was pretty good! some of the military procedural stuff was boring, but the core character driven plot was compelling and kept me interested. I’m having trouble deciding what to read next

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Rewatching Fall Of Eagles. Goddamn does this series have strong beard energy.

Also Patrick Stewart Lenin!

:3:

E: It's especially :lol: because, being a mid-70s BBC production, it's full of faces I'll recognize from 10-15 years later when they were some bit role in Yes, Minister or House of Cards or Jeeves and Wooster or some poo poo.

E2: Holy poo poo, Vera Ivanovna is Aunt Agatha! Maybe she was undercover heightening the contradictions? :aaaaa:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 16, 2020

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upjSkX_62j0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whoa thats the guy from mad men and glow when he was waaaay younger, he looks 20