Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

It's horribly depressing how Sears self destructed.

It really is. Fortunately is seems there are plenty of old craftsman stuff from when it was good around. My 3/8" torque wrench decided to spin free the last time I used it. At 20+ year old I guess it's due. I was able to find the right craftsman rebuild kit on ebay for $20. I suppose I'm set for another couple decades.

Additional note: I recently got a recently calibrated 1/2" Snap On torque wrench. The craftsman is dead on with it after those 20+ years.

The Management posted:

:911:

Organizing is not really the problem, it’s not having the proper tool for the thing so I end up using something less than ideal.

I’m happy to buy the better brands for each thing, but I don’t really know what they are. Wera, Knipex, what would you recommend for ratchets, wrenches, and socket sets?

So this gets into eactly what kinds of things you are working on.

I'd say if you're missing ratchets and wrenches and poo poo just go get full harbor freight sets. Ratchets and sockets in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 unless you are working on commercial trucks or something. These are basic tools. Also grab some various plyers and screwdrivers. When you break or exceed the capability of one of those get something better. It's will likely start with screwdrivers.

Or if there's some thing specific you're working on (like you have an old british motorcycle problem, or are someone who restores vintage game consoles, etc) then call that out and somebody here is gonna have a really good suggestion about a load out past basics that will help you with that.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really like my ratcheting wrenches from Gearwrench and feel like they were priced fairly (after I plucked a coupon for them). I guess the downside to them is that the heads are a bit thick (heh) and that can cause access issues in tight spaces.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My dad bought me my first set of Craftsman sockets/ratchets/wrenches in the mid 90's (which I still have) and it's no better than the middling quality HF stuff now. The HF ratchets are arguably better.

Craftsman was poo poo long before Sears self destructed.

Speaking of, did anyone document or write a book about how all that went down? It seems like some deep irony in the company who found its beginnings in an innovative mail-order business getting killed by practically the exact same thing 100 years later.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Company Man had a video on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qws713t3HBY

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

angryrobots posted:

My dad bought me my first set of Craftsman sockets/ratchets/wrenches in the mid 90's (which I still have) and it's no better than the middling quality HF stuff now. The HF ratchets are arguably better.
Ratches across the board are better than 20+ years ago to the point that you wonder why 12pt sockets still exist.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

It's still so jarring to see this advice while sending people to Harbor Freight instead (or to the quality specialty manufacturers of course).

But that's where we are today and I totally agree.

Good advice on "organize, don't buy a big blow molded box of new tools" also.

I think the HF reccomenations need more nuance though. They will absolutely show you how to gently caress up a simple tool, like a pop rivet gun I had the displeasure of unfucking twice today. Or the parts organizers that flex and won't close or the dividers pop out.

Not to mention that a lifetime warranty doesn't mean poo poo if you need to get going after hours. Choose carefully. Sockets and wrenches, sure. Ratchets, ehh unless you have backups.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've put gorilla amounts of torque on their extension rachet without it snapping. The amount it flexes is worrying but it holds true so far. I believe that was this threads favorite rachet at one point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I think the HF reccomenations need more nuance though.

Oh absolutely. But I was just talking ratchets (okay to pretty good) sockets (fine) and wrenches (fine). Then the bargain bin plyers and screwdrivers that can be used in anger and you don't feel bad about it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Motronic posted:

Or if there's some thing specific you're working on (like you have an old british motorcycle problem, or are someone who restores vintage game consoles, etc) then call that out and somebody here is gonna have a really good suggestion about a load out past basics that will help you with that.

I’m trying to take my Porsche 356 from misfiring oil leak to decently running oil drip, and other maintenance tasks on it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Management posted:

I’m trying to take my Porsche 356 from misfiring oil leak to decently running oil drip, and other maintenance tasks on it

Okay (nice, one of us) you're metric heavy. My recommendation on 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratchets and sockets will do you well for base sizes. Get all your metric sockets of course.

Same deal with wrenches. Get yourself some quality sets of like...... 8 to 18/19mm wrenches. Gear wrenches also (not exclusively).

Nice Wera screwdriver set would be great for fiddly mechanical and interior bits, etc.

Good set of Wera metric allen keys.

The rest is gonna get specialty based on job. Depending on how far in you're going you'll want some manner of torque wrench.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Oh absolutely. But I was just talking ratchets (okay to pretty good) sockets (fine) and wrenches (fine). Then the bargain bin plyers and screwdrivers that can be used in anger and you don't feel bad about it.

Yeah that's solid.

Fine point. No use of HF tools on soft materials for me. Not on brake line fittings or bleeder specifically. I only trust a dedicated high quality flare wrench, offset box for bleeders, or the locking Stanley adjustable to get those cracked without rounding.

I saw the Icon sockets there last time and I was curious how those stack up. I'm guessing if most people find the regular ones to be good enough what's the point. At some point I'll pick up a set of 3/8" impact, shallow and deep, maybe by Christmas time.

Edit: not sure if I said how much I'm liking the GearWrench tools too. The 120xp ratchets I have are my favorite so far, and the set of stubby wrenches was a pro move. Wonderful to get like a third of a turn at a time rather than a sixth or less because that bastard bolt is buried deep. Plus it's always nice to have an extra wrench.

I got most of these on sale or coupons too, Advance seemed to put them on half price every few months.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 15, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
HF things I love:
Impact sockets
Jackstands (I'm a millennial, we lust for death, leave me alone about the drat recall)
12 ton shop press
Smaller horizontal bandsaw
Hydraulic knockout punch
1/4+3/8 dual head and 1/2 extending ratchets
Cast brass welder ground clamps
The larger trans jack kicks rear end
Racing floor jacks
Chainfall hoists
Air powered drum pump
8 ton hydraulic wire crimper (but get the 15 ton one on Amazon instead)
Drywall lift
Rubber wheel chocks
R12 retrofit refrigerant (errrrr... Ultra duster)
R134a refrigerant gauge set
240V spotwelder
30in sheet metal brake
Asphalt roofing shingle shears (aka long-blade aircraft shears with lifetime warranty)
Engine hoist
Bearing puller clamshells of various sizes
Balljoint press and adapter kit
3/4 breaker bar
3/4 socket set
Stainless magnetic parts trays
Digital calipers
Whatever they called the micrometer with the old odometer style readout, though they seem to have discontinued it and released a true digital micrometer I'll have to try
Dial indicator and mag base

Middling quality, but works sorta:
Cheaper air body saw
Windshield removal tool (piano wire garrote style)
Magnetic tow lights
Engine hoist load leveler

Total loving junk:
Airless paint sprayer
5x5 portaband
Air nibbler
Windshield removal tool (right angle razor blade style)
Exhaust tubing expanders - though I've got a skunkworks project idea for these in the future involving my lathe and the hydraulic knockout punch kit...
Grease guns
Anything electrical not listed above

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Kastein you just reminded me, has anyone found a good grease gun? I just tossed mine in the GARBAGE WHERE IT BELONGS when it refused to smoosh the grease to the hose with the grease smoosher. Preferably pistol grip, I like the flexible hose end.

For those curious how it failed, the center part of the plunger was like swollen and off center so it couldn't freely slide down the tube, it got caught up on one side of the grease sleeves. Seems like something that wouldn't ever happen, all the internals should be made of materials that can be in constant contact with grease.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never met a grease gun I didn't hate, but I only hate my Porter Cable air powered grease guns a little. They can be finicky to get started after refilling but otherwise work pretty well.

Every other grease gun I've ever tried can suck my dick from the back, full stop.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 15, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lincoln/skf.

The milwaukee cordless is pretty dope once primed.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Edit: not sure if I said how much I'm liking the GearWrench tools too. The 120xp ratchets I have are my favorite so far, and the set of stubby wrenches was a pro move. Wonderful to get like a third of a turn at a time rather than a sixth or less because that bastard bolt is buried deep. Plus it's always nice to have an extra wrench.

Most of my nice tools are 1/2" drive but I recently got a M12 ratchet and needed a 3/8" socket set, I ended up getting this Gearwrench set and it's held up to some abuse in the ~6 months I've owned it. I also have their ratcheting combination wrench set which is also very useful.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Sample size of less than one but youtube guy letsdig18 uses one of these a lot* and hasn't complained about it. If I ever have a reason to own a grease gun I'll probably go with Milwaukee because it sounds like a grease gun that works is worth any amount of money.

* Like a full tube just for the bucket pin on an excavator and it seems like he greases everything very frequently.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The Management, if you want something with nicer fit/finish than HF but don't want to pay the markup on tool truck brands like Snap-On, I really like my Proto and Blackhawk (by Proto) sockets. USA made, fit well, maybe 2x HF price instead of 10x for the high end brands. I'd recommend springing for a real nice ratchet or two, though. Personally, I'm always reaching for a 3/8" drive ratchet, so I splurged on a Snap-On 80-tooth 3/8 ratchet a decade ago and I still love it. You can feed it lesser quality sockets and it's fine.

For wrenches I'll second the Gearwrench nomination; personally I prefer the offset ones with a reversing switch, instead of the straight ones that you just flip around to go the other direction. My non-ratcheting wrenches are a mixture of Proto/Blackhawk, older Craftsman, and random USA-made flea market / garage sale finds.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Lincoln/skf.

Lincoln plus LockNLube coupler. The hype on the LockNLube is real.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LockNLube is great. And I've got the DeWalt battery grease gun. It's awesome. So if your batteries are already yellow that's also a solid choice.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Trying to navigate the tons of no name brands and kits when it comes to fuel pressure gauges. I need one to test the fuel pressure in a vortec 4.3L V6 in an S10. In the ideal world I would get a kit that fits for that test, but can also be used for other tests. Some gauges only have one "inlet", while others are a T fitting and you can put another hose in (I guess to let the fuel flow past?).
Anyone got any recommendations for a decent kit? I'll likely have good use for a kit like that in the future anyway, so I don't mind the purchase.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The T fitting setups are for vehicles that don't have a test port on the fuel rail.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kastein posted:

Exhaust tubing expanders - though I've got a skunkworks project idea for these in the future involving my lathe and the hydraulic knockout punch kit...

Christ, I post this and literally the next day I find the remains of my exhaust tubing expander I wrote this post about. Haven't seen it since 2012. I was about to put my hydraulic knockout punch kit in the truck, too... I guess I know what I'll experiment with later tonight. Will report back on how my $120 hydraulic exhaust tubing expander works.

E: the expander thread is 9/16-18nf (why not metric? WTF) which is annoyingly in between 1/2-20nf and 3/4-16nf, the two threads that the knockout punch includes draw studs for. But this is a simple problem if anyone actually wants to do it. The right length 9/16whatever (buy a nut to fit) to 3/4-16 drawstud and spacer with the right ID will connect these two tools together and make a 400+ dollar hydraulic exhaust tube expander out of them.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 17, 2020

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I needed this so much last week:

I have a problem:

In that I need a nice toolchest for my nice tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aquila posted:

Yes you do.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Aquila posted:

Oh drat. I think I've posted deals for that a couple times, but never pulled the trigger. I've got plenty of tools... but I didn't realize that was the form factor, I thought the kit/tools were bigger than that.

That is a gorgeous size and I'll have to buy one next time there's a sale.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Oh look it's me for some things.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aquila posted:

I have a problem:

I bought a Toolcheck Plus for my close friend and her husband's wedding present. They love it. I very nearly bought one for myself as well, but I can't justify it seeing as how already have almost everything in that kit.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Aquila posted:

I have a problem:

Toolchest, yes. Portable options? Bucket boss might be a great play for you:

HF is excellent for niche tools, but if it’s something you’ll use often why not get better sockets and ratchets? I’ll be the voice of dissent and say that I really like blow molded cases with 300 pieces tool kits—everything you need right there, portable, organized. I just fold up a couple of plastic sawhorses, throw on a custom plywood tabletop, and spread out. It’s fantastic. All my impact sockets also in a blow molded case, and everything is right there. I just replaced the stock wrenches in the blow molded case with gear wrench ratcheting wrenches and it’s great.

Just to clarify, if I had an attached garage, I’d get a better rolling toolchest. But I do everything in my driveway and all my tools are condensed to my mudroom so that’s what works well for me.

Also, re:Sears, eddie lampert loving sucks and drove the company into an early grave. loving idiot just yelled at his advisors creating a toxic workplace, didn’t listen to anyone, robbed Sears’ assets for his own personal hedge fund, and had stupid ideas that he’d relentlessly focus on, to the point of personally posting fake reviews about how great his lovely online marketplace was.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 16, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The sawhorses thing reminded me, I bought a couple of folding workstands for doing body work and painting, and holy cow these are the best ever. I do just like OSU_Matthew and toss a scrap of plywood on top, but it's only one piece instead of two horses. And I like that I can adjust the height by adjusting the spread. Great for painting, and cleaning, and anything really. And if the foam wears out, it's just pipe insulation. I just got a couple of very cheap shelf brackets for storage and I put them very high, and they're light enough that it's easy to toss them up or grab them when I need. Plus with the shape they fit in a weird spot, it has a coat rack nestled underneath.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1554891038786677837?q=Astro+Pneumatic+Tool+557003

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

The T fitting setups are for vehicles that don't have a test port on the fuel rail.

Ah. I guess any kit that says it's for GM engines should work. The internet says all 4.3 engines have Schrader valves.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Aquila posted:

I have that one (slightly older version, without the color coded sockets. Not that I'm envious. Not at all.)
It's a really, really nice piece of kit, and very often what I grab for little jobs around the house. It does 80% of everything on a bike, too.

My only complaint is that it only comes with but one flathead bit. Og and that the list price is like EUR90.

Actually got one for my dad, now that I remember.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I promise I don't work for Wera but the ratchet in their Tool Check Plus kit is just the the right size for when you need a smaller ratchet, perfect for working on motorcycles. It was smaller than I expected when I first got it, but that turned out to be a good thing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There's a video somewhere, and I even think it's an official Wera video, where they put a cheater bar on it and crank some lug bolts to 100+Nm with it.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

StormDrain posted:

The sawhorses thing reminded me, I bought a couple of folding workstands for doing body work and painting, and holy cow these are the best ever.
I did something similar but overthought and spent too much. I got the folding legs that pinch a 2×4 or 2×6 so I didn't have to worry about cutting too deep, use plywood for a table, and it was a space saver. I also notched out a 4×4 with hanger bolts to tighten down my mitre saw if I wanted to use it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

The sawhorses thing reminded me, I bought a couple of folding workstands for doing body work and painting, and holy cow these are the best ever. I do just like OSU_Matthew and toss a scrap of plywood on top, but it's only one piece instead of two horses. And I like that I can adjust the height by adjusting the spread. Great for painting, and cleaning, and anything really. And if the foam wears out, it's just pipe insulation. I just got a couple of very cheap shelf brackets for storage and I put them very high, and they're light enough that it's easy to toss them up or grab them when I need. Plus with the shape they fit in a weird spot, it has a coat rack nestled underneath.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1554891038786677837?q=Astro+Pneumatic+Tool+557003

Oohh, I like that quite a lot, that’s way more portable than my 6’ reinforced plywood benchtop, and perfect to scatter some tools on... that’s going straight into my amazon cart

I like astro pneumatic stuff, I’ve got a set of their long reach hose clamp pliers and when I need it, it’s exactly the right tool

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 17, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nitrile glove prices are bullshit now

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah, I've needed more for months. They're either out of stock or twice the normal price.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
self quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think the nitriles are needed more by the trades who rely on it as protection from COVID.