Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/crofts/status/1316409136079347716?s=20

(nice one jmcrofts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah basically. idk lobbies can be cute but people just wanna, play video game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

euphemism posted:

LOL what if Strive's netcode is the same "rollback" that Tekken uses?

zinac is working on strive's netcode and he worked on killer instinct previously

he was insanely angry at harada not understanding rollback and said he is loving over actual rollback

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

KI has great netcode, that is reassuring. Shame about the lobby garbage. I hate that poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, I'm still on board for the black vampire samurai cus that dude is cool as hell, but it seems to me from the very beginning that ArcSys is deliberately making this game bad, like as an intentional choice. And I'm saying "why?"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

well hopefully it just has private lobbies with 0 load time infinite rematch, since I don't really care about ranked/random public play anyway.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gologle posted:

OK, I'm still on board for the black vampire samurai cus that dude is cool as hell, but it seems to me from the very beginning that ArcSys is deliberately making this game bad, like as an intentional choice. And I'm saying "why?"

the idea is that the way guilty gear was will never sell to the average consumer because it's too hard, too dense, too much backstory, too many systems, etc, etc and that by toning these things down it will rake in the casual yens

now, i think they're going about this the complete wrong way if they wanna do that, but you know

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i can kind of understand where they're coming from since they simplified team fighters with DBFZ (sold a bajillion copies) and cross tag (critically acclaimed) and it went well so they can do it again with guilty gear

but then again, dbfz has a very popular license that buoys sales and cross tag isn't blazblue 5 so you can't really get mad at it for being such a big departure

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 14, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dbzf also treated the license well and is super approachable for new fight game players, while having the arcsys stuff like jump cancelling medium hits and junk

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Doesn’t this floor system make it completely impossible to get matches if you are booted up to an empty floor? Like in the loving beta that everyone complained about?

Edit: like typically a ranked queue would match players of vastly different ranks if there’s no other options. Wouldn’t this floor system just tell the lonely player “get hosed, the good players shouldn’t have to waste their time with you”

I think the implication is that since there are no longer ranks or points you can no longer get ranked up to the next floor. It seems like Arc Sys thinks players are going to self select which floor to play on based on their skill level, which sounds like the biggest shitshow at launch, where players wanting to play against each other are just going to have to find a completely empty floor or mash on a specific floor over and over in hopes they can get in.

As others have, said, Arc Sys has already done a physical lobby system and ranked modes better in the past. Why they always feel the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to QOL/UX aspects of their game, I'll never understand. Innovation is not the end all be all, sometimes iteration is just as important. If they just perfected the best aspects of their previous lobby and matchmaking systems and improved the behind the scenes tech with rollback, etc. they'd have a killer online mode.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 14, 2020

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its prolly bc if you just used the xrd system for everything the Lobby coders would be out of a job.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Why the gently caress does ArcSys have to do this when in SFV and MK11 and KI and like every other fighting game, if I want to find a match online, I just go to "Online" press button, "ranked" or "unranked", hit button, and then play game?

What in the gently caress are they thinking? Why?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

accidental quote

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Why they always feel the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to QOL/UX aspects of their game, I'll never understand.

Every online MP game that isn't some tiny passion project is like this. There's this constant arms race to obfuscate anything that might be perceived as negative feedback, to get people who are fundamentally uncomfortable with competition and testing yourself against other people to participate in it anyways -- and pay money for the privilege.

If anything fighting games held out a little longer than average thanks to a combination of being exclusively 1v1 (which rules out a lot of the psychological tricks you could otherwise deploy) and the overwhelming design conservatism of most fighting game developers.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 15, 2020

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Does Japan also hate the Arcsys lobbies? If not, that's probably your answer.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Chaotic Flame posted:

Does Japan also hate the Arcsys lobbies? If not, that's probably your answer.

It was publicly reviled and afaik nobody over there liked it. Arcsys themselves published the ratings that users gave in regards to beta and the online componenet was like 1 or 2 out of 5 lol.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Arcsys made the best lobby system with XRD and because that game sold poorly, they've determined to make nothing but terrible lobbies since then.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gologle posted:

Strive kinda feels like a social experiment to see how many things people will forgive a game for if the characters are hot.

I'm still kinda on the other side of the line here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's weird how they keep flip flopping from functionally alright (BBTAG, XRD, GBVS) to 'why god why' (DBFZ, Strive) and back again.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

if the damage is as high as in the beta, it's fine by me

in fact, some moves should do more damage

3 pot busters should be kill on the entire cast

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

all the messaging since the beta has shown that they don't actually care about any feedback and have never changed anything about the project since the moment they unveiled it, assuming anything better in terms of presentation/structure is just false hope at this point. we just have to pray it's actually fun despite looking like poo poo and being unplayable online.

They took the written names of the numbers out of the combo counter numbers.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Smoking Crow posted:

if the damage is as high as in the beta, it's fine by me

in fact, some moves should do more damage

3 pot busters should be kill on the entire cast

Still laughing that some people were going nuts because of that video of 3 pot busters killing an idle dummy Chipp, fuckin OP bro.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yardbomb posted:

Still laughing that some people were going nuts because of that video of 3 pot busters killing an idle dummy Chipp, fuckin OP bro.

chipp should die in 2 busters

don't lower damage on wild throw, make pot buster do more damage

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Now is a fantastic time to begin exploring the limitless world of Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, provided you have already invested in a Nintendo Switch console, USB Ethernet Adapter and a controller other than the included joycons.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Reiley posted:

Now is a fantastic time to begin exploring the limitless world of Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, provided you have already invested in a Nintendo Switch console, USB Ethernet Adapter and a pristine Wavebird controller.

:colbert:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My friend, there is a USB adapter that can accommodate this classic gaming peripheral.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
instead of paying $100 for incomplete games and a season pass, buy puyo puyo champions on sale for $5, which contains free dlc characters including one that somebody discovered in the middle of a tournament after mashing a bunch of buttons on the character select screen

https://twitter.com/S2LSOFTENER/status/1310063052239372295

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Smoking Crow posted:

zinac is working on strive's netcode and he worked on killer instinct previously

he was insanely angry at harada not understanding rollback and said he is loving over actual rollback

oh thats what zinacs doing for arcsys? neat. theres one th ing to actually look forward to lol

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

In Training posted:

its prolly bc if you just used the xrd system for everything the Lobby coders would be out of a job.

they could, i dont know, try optimizing the existing experience and add in new features like cross-language, pre-set communication tools since rollback will make playing other countries feasible lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

euphemism posted:

they could, i dont know, try optimizing the existing experience and add in new features like cross-language, pre-set communication tools since rollback will make playing other countries feasible lol

more

fishing

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

So is the "complete" Daraku Tenshi/The Fallen Angels still happening? It was supposed to be out this August and all the news I see is still the same old articles announcing that from like, January.

The company that announced that has announced literally dozens of games that barely exist, and if and when that release does happen it'll be exclusive to their arcade hardware in some nebulous way and you'll probably have to spend thousands of dollars to play it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's weird how they keep flip flopping from functionally alright (BBTAG, XRD, GBVS) to 'why god why' (DBFZ, Strive) and back again.

I know that Arc Sys have multiple teams internally, I wonder if it's just a case of the teams not sharing enough tech or what? I know that's been a problem at times with Call of Duty rotating yearly between 3-4 developers within Activision. Where some years the game feels like two steps forward, one step back and doesn't necessarily build on the lessons learned over the course of the last game's life cycle since by the time those lessons are learned the next game is already 6 months away from release.

I would assume Arc Sys, being a much smaller developer would not run into this issue as much. But I also remember hearing stories of internal teams at Capcom and Sega being very competitive and not sharing information, at least back in the 90's/2000's. Does anyone know if that's something that's still the case in modern Japanese game dev culture?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The company that announced that has announced literally dozens of games that barely exist, and if and when that release does happen it'll be exclusive to their arcade hardware in some nebulous way and you'll probably have to spend thousands of dollars to play it.

I don't know if this is inaccurate or Zerodiv have switched gears, but the Gematsu article for the announcement from last year mentions they plan to port it to console after releasing the arcade version:

https://www.gematsu.com/2019/05/the-fallen-angels-complete-edition-announced-for-console-arcade

If that's really the case, hopefully it means other exa-Arcadia games would get console/PC ports later on down the line.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 15, 2020

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am not going to lie, I've been playing Guilty Gear casually since X2#reload and I think I am probably the exact person Strive is aimed at. It looks pretty drat fun, but god why are they doubling down on the lobby garbage. Like, if you must put in some sort of weird lobby mode where you can run around and poo poo, that's perfect for casual group battle lounges or whatever to give spectators something to do, it shouldn't be your default interface for ranked, or whatever "new system" you want to replace ranked with.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm looking forward to Strive and that lobby system is still inexcusable. Like they've gotten it right in other games, why are they doing this weird pixel thing? Even if they're attached to the system, at least like, put in character avatars people would care about.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

chumbler posted:

I'm looking forward to Strive and that lobby system is still inexcusable. Like they've gotten it right in other games, why are they doing this weird pixel thing? Even if they're attached to the system, at least like, put in character avatars people would care about.

Well even on a very basic level, one should look at how many loading screens and how many button inputs it takes to get to the mode a player wants to play. Their economy there is totally hosed. In most games it's like, load into main menu, hit multiplayer and load into the menu, choose mode, and then get matched and choose character. Three inputs from the player, one real loading screen.

DBFZ for example is ridiculous. Loading screen into main menu. Choose multiplayer or single player. Load into weird King Kai planet. Run/Teleport (if you want to navigate another menu to figure out how/where to teleport) to the mode you want to play. Talk to NPC to initiate the mode. Confirm it. Load in, get matched, choose character and load into game. It's a lot of unnecessary stuff for the sake of some window dressing no one cares about.

Whatever this nonsense is, is way more of that.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Meridian posted:

Well even on a very basic level, one should look at how many loading screens and how many button inputs it takes to get to the mode a player wants to play. Their economy there is totally hosed. In most games it's like, load into main menu, hit multiplayer and load into the menu, choose mode, and then get matched and choose character. Three inputs from the player, one real loading screen.

DBFZ for example is ridiculous. Loading screen into main menu. Choose multiplayer or single player. Load into weird King Kai planet. Run/Teleport (if you want to navigate another menu to figure out how/where to teleport) to the mode you want to play. Talk to NPC to initiate the mode. Confirm it. Load in, get matched, choose character and load into game. It's a lot of unnecessary stuff for the sake of some window dressing no one cares about.

Whatever this nonsense is, is way more of that.

Even a Lobby I think is good (Fightin Herds) can seem too tedious to pull matches. Select MP, select lobby, find person to fight, press button, confirm delay, choose character, start. They're adding in a closed lobby similar to SkullGirls, where you get to enter lobby, ready up, go to fight.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't know if this is inaccurate or Zerodiv have switched gears, but the Gematsu article for the announcement from last year mentions they plan to port it to console after releasing the arcade version:

https://www.gematsu.com/2019/05/the-fallen-angels-complete-edition-announced-for-console-arcade

If that's really the case, hopefully it means other exa-Arcadia games would get console/PC ports later on down the line.

Exa's deal is that they demand some degree of exclusivity for anything released on their platform, but it seems like they're loosening up as they become more desperate for content - their big exclusive feature for their Chaos Code port was "less input lag", for instance, which is nice but doesn't really justify the absurd markup. If and when Daraku Tenshi comes to their hardware, the exclusive content may end up being as paltry as that, but there are games currently on the platform whose devs can't port them elsewhere and it sucks.

Exa's also said a lot of really dubious stuff about who they're working with, what's coming, their hardware, etc so I don't believe anything they say until I see it for myself.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

yo mamma a Horus posted:

"Replacing ranked will be the “Floor” system that was also shown off in the beta where players will go between floors based on skill where each floor will be better suited for each player's aptitude levels and being able to have matches without having to worry about points. (2/3)"

lol what the gently caress

I mean this is basically how ranked already works, except this time its just visualized for absolutely no reason.

Everything about Strive is just so weird to read. Like its meant to bring people in, but most games that center themselves around bringing new people... don't and end up being forgettable. From my experience what brings people are the characters and cool moves and if applicable, a hot license like Marvel or something. GG has the first 2 down so I have no idea why they're dumbing themselves down.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chumbler posted:

As bad as the reaction was to the lobby system from everyone, I'm wondering if the 'rona loving up everything is why they're sticking with it (and that ugly UI). They wanted something different, everyone hated it, but with everyone working from home, they just said "gently caress it, we're not going to waste the time to fix it right now, we need to get the game out ASAP." It's not a great excuse, but it's the one that feels the most likely to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Would a basic menu really be that much work to implement? I feel like people could do that from home in a weekend.