Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I keep checking to see if there's a thread for this, decided to "be the change" and such...

"Rogue Company is the third-person tactical action shooter that puts the fate of the world in your hands. Suit up as one of the elite agents of Rogue Company, each with their own individual set of skills, and go to war in a variety of different game modes."

As described, this is a 4v4 third-person tactical shooter that combines the "bomb" gametype of CS, the 3P roll-and-crouch movement of Gears of War, and the "Operator" hero archetypes of R6: Siege. The "Rogues" are, at the moment, more akin to the "Ops" of Siege than the "Heroes" of Overwatch or the "Agents" of Valorant. That there's a shared weapon pool from which each Rogue has two weapons available for purchase and upgrade using currency earned through performance in matches, and each Rogue has two abilities: one passive, one active.

The game is made by Hi-Rez and is currently in open beta. It's available for free at https://www.roguecompany.com/play-for-free. You can also buy a "Founder's Pack" starting at $15 which includes some unlocked Rogues and other bonuses depending on what "tier" you buy.

Finally, the game is cross-platform and cross-save through the Epic platform on PC, Xbox, PS4, and Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GTgZH9QIY

Pandaal fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
I played this a bit and I'll definitely play more. It feels a lot more casual/arcade-ish than Valorant/CS/etc - while you buy between rounds, there's no real econ strategy because you don't lose anything at the end of the round (I guess some light strategy as you decide which of two primary weapons to get, what order you buy perks and upgrade, etc).

The 3rd person approach definitely takes a bit of getting used to, having to frequently swap shoulder to ensure you've got the right sight lines as you move through the map. For those not wanting to jump right in to vs other players, in addition to a decent tutorial thing there's a vs bots mode which is a nice way to get comfortable with things.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah the buy mechanic is more similar to the MOBA strategy than CS. It allows you to get ahead gear-wise if you frag out but doesn’t punish you out of contention if you have a bad round. I think it keeps the games closer. Coupled with the upgrade mechanic it also makes you start planning your later rounds kit as the 8k to start a new weapon is a big setback.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you buy Rogue Company on one platform, do you get access to it on all of the other platforms its available for too? I know that is not common even with games like this, but Hi-Res does this with some of their other titles.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I said come in! posted:

If you buy Rogue Company on one platform, do you get access to it on all of the other platforms its available for too? I know that is not common even with games like this, but Hi-Res does this with some of their other titles.

No, I don’t think this is the case.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
This game is what I wanted valorant to be. Surprisngly polished feeling for a Hirez game, the gunplay feels awesome.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For a second I thought this thread was about Rogue Warrior and I was confused as to why someone in 2020 would make a thread about that awful game.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Hopefully they will add a Mickey Rourke voice pack at some point.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

They've patched up a lot of little bugs and whatnot since the beta launch, I think it's in a pretty stable place now. Scratches the "tactical shooter" itch without being sweaty to the point of not being fun.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i just learned about this game a few minutes ago, because it's up and free to download on the epic store. if the pitch is "kinda like cs but a bit less hardcore", that sounds like something i will enjoy

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

this game is p fun

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I tried this game on the Switch to see how bad it was, and I was surprised to find that it seems to run at a perfect 60 FPS! The bad part is I couldn't figure out how to use hook my PC account into the Switch version like you can with some other games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I tried this game on the Switch to see how bad it was, and I was surprised to find that it seems to run at a perfect 60 FPS! The bad part is I couldn't figure out how to use hook my PC account into the Switch version like you can with some other games.

I am going to have to download this on Switch again, because the closed beta was not 60fps and it felt really bad.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I dig it a lot, I just wish that they had more of a store. I'm in no hurry to buy rez bucks but they're doing nothing to tempt either. If anything is going to kill the rn game it's lack of things to purchase and funding running dry.

Gameplay wise everything feels nice and snappy by default (I always up my sensitivity instantly on most games I play but this felt alright) and it has a lot of options to further customize aiming feel.

Random thoughts: Buying Glitch is worth it to be able to blow up the bomb protection shield instantly. Poverty bux come by pretty slowly, about 1000/h+ so long as you're doing contracts as they come (1 every 6 hrs) early on but it drops as it takes more exp to level for the 250 poverty bux bonus. Phantom is a monster to quick aim beasts that can head shot near instantly with it. Not too sold on Vy and Scorch. Match comp favors Dallas and Saint a lot so getting used to their strength and weaknesses will serve you well, you'll usually run into at least one each match.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Lutha Mahtin posted:

RC does have cross-progression, you just have to link your accounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrgrjqBj_zE

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

OxMan posted:

I dig it a lot, I just wish that they had more of a store. I'm in no hurry to buy rez bucks but they're doing nothing to tempt either. If anything is going to kill the rn game it's lack of things to purchase and funding running dry.

Yeah it took a while to get any sort of store at all, came towards the end of the closed beta a couple of weeks ago. There's not a ton in there but at this early of a stage I'd actually be concerned if there were tons of mtx available when we don't have Ranked yet.

OxMan posted:

Random thoughts: Buying Glitch is worth it to be able to blow up the bomb protection shield instantly. Poverty bux come by pretty slowly, about 1000/h+ so long as you're doing contracts as they come (1 every 6 hrs) early on but it drops as it takes more exp to level for the 250 poverty bux bonus. Phantom is a monster to quick aim beasts that can head shot near instantly with it. Not too sold on Vy and Scorch. Match comp favors Dallas and Saint a lot so getting used to their strength and weaknesses will serve you well, you'll usually run into at least one each match.

Finally, meta talk :mmmsmug:

Full disclosure, I only play Demolition, so I can't speak for the other modes. I'm about 60 hours in so far and in my experience you don't see Anvil played that much (although that does seem to be changing a bit lately) so his shield isn't something you typically need to team-comp around. That said, Glitch seems to be one of those characters that suits a very specific play style. Most of the time he's played, including by me, he's awful. His passive ability is powerful on it's own, although it's eclipsed by a decent Talon, but his Q Hack doesn't add much to most fights. That said the people that are good with him are *good* and a good Glitch is really annoying if anything.

A better counter to Anvil and, IMO, a better Rogue in general is Vy. Behind Talon she's my most played character and definitely my favorite. Her SMG is a decent Primary weapon, but where she really shines is site control. Between her poison traps and her 3 available grenades, there's no better Area Denial character in the game. Vy can clear a site on offense to plant or deny a site on defense completely alone for long enough that a well coordinated team can back her up, which allows you to 3-1 on almost any map, attack or defense.

Scorch was *really* overpowered early in the closed beta, got nerfed hard, and is now one of the least-played Rogues. Her DoT Q ability was totally broken admittedly, but once they nerfed it it became clear that if it wasn't as effective as "broken" then it was basically pointless. She'll need a rework, maybe a better primary.

Dallas is an absolute beast, great character from the pistol rounds all the way through. Same with Saint, although he can be a huge liability in the hands of someone who thinks they can top-frag *and* be a support. His weapon makes people trigger happy but he really adds to a team when someone disciplined plays him passively and uses that scoped AR for cover fire from way behind the fight so they can get the rez.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Little 1v3 action...

https://i.imgur.com/076iVcb.mp4

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It almost scratches my APB itch

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Welp, I had to buy the idol outfit for my girl Phantom so now I have spent money on this. Cosmetics are my achillies heel.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I'd already dropped $25 *before* they released that Vy skin so now I'm in a pickle.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I was thinking about unlocking Vy next, her or Lancer. How are her guns?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Vy's shotgun is... a shotgun. Not great, but her AR is serviceable. She's definitely not a fragger like Lancer, but she's a more important team asset, especially on defense. Lancer is pretty straightforward if you like to roam and go for kills, her SMG is disgusting. I personally main Vy but admittedly don't see her played as often.

One of my regular teammates mains Lancer and we're both pretty sure there will be a nerf of some sort coming down the pipe for her as her ability coupled with her weapon is just too strong. I only add that because I was all gassed up to buy Scorch in her broken phase and post-nerf you don't really see her played at all, so it's something to consider.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is her shotgun the same one anvil gets? I picked one of those up off the ground yesterday and went completely ham with it, it was the first time I'd tried a shotgun in the game.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

It's not. Vy uses the S-12 which is unique to her for the moment. Anvil's shotgun is different, he and Scorch share it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Shotgun chat: loving hate them. They either need a damage boost or a range boost. Your chances of 2 shotting someone are getting within melee range, and making sure they don't see you coming for at least the first shot because if they back roll and you're not already right next to them then they will be out of kill range for the second shot and WILL outdps you unless they're ronin maybe and already used their knife. I hate camping and the only way to play glitch is getting his don't ping me bro and doing exactly that, skulking in the back along edges trying to spot someone and get behind them or intercept. Not a fan of his smg either, for similar reasons, even shittier DPS. Flashbangs are pretty useless for you, but great when you're in a firefight with your team and you shut 2 people down at once. Semtex has its moments but 2 flashes ends up being the better proposition imo.

Also I'm surprised you don't see anvils a lot, I was seeing them in the tryhard teams in demolition all the time (along Saint, Dallas and self revive dude).

I miss playing this stupid game rn the wifi at this inn is okay ish and I wanted to try it but lmao the TVs are so old they don't have HDMI inputs. Watching DIRECT TV through a composite connection just like in 2002 when the STARZ movies that play did too. Authentic AF.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah I already regret saying I don't see Anvils because now I can't escape that 90 round magazine of his.

Shotguns are garbage though, but as with any game they're either realistic and OP or nerfed to poo poo and useless. Vy's has a high rate of fire which would make it viable if it didn't do almost half the damage of the others.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

New patch today

quote:

Player Identity

With the new Player Identity System, players can now customize their profile screen with a variety of options to fit their favorite Rogue or play style! Collect unique rewards from each Rogue Mastery and display them or mix and match your favorites.

Appearing to the left side of your Profile, select your favorite Rogue Mastery Reward or other available option.

Banner:

Select an available banner to show it on the right side of your Profile.

Border:

You can also select a unique Border which will appear around the Banner.
New Rogue Mastery Rewards

New Rogue Mastery Rewards are being introduced with the addition of the Player Identification System. At the following levels, these rewards will be received (retroactively if you’ve achieved that Mastery Level):

Level 2: Unique Rogue Avatar

Level 4: Unique Rogue Banner

Level 5: Unique Rogue Border
Closed Beta Spray

For those of you who joined us in Alpha and Closed Beta we can’t thank you enough! We’d like to commemorate this with a very unique spray that will always remind you of a special moment. This spray will be granted to all accounts who were in Alpha or Closed Beta this week.

Gameplay Changes
Perks:

Evade

Increased movement speed bonus from 10% to 12%. Increased duration from 7s to 10s

Sixth Sense

Retired for now based on player feedback.

Tracker Rounds

Reveal Time increased from 3s to 4s.

Gadgets

Grenade Base

Outer Radius damage reduced from 50 to 40.
Reduced inner explosion radius from 3m to 2.5m
Reduced outer explosion radius from 4.25m to 4m.

Grenade Level 1 & 2

Outer Radius damage reduced from 50 to 40.
Reduced inner explosion radius from 3.25m to 3m.
Reduced outer explosion radius from 4.75m to 4.25m

Incendiary Grenade:

Molotov spread increased from 0.5s to 0.25s. This results in the molotov dealing damage in 0.25s when first thrown.
Fixed an issue where the Level 1 Upgrade didn’t increase the duration. Increased the area at which molotov spreads by 20%.

C4

Max throw distance reduced from 17m to 13m.
Level 1 upgrade throw distance reduced from 22m to 16m.
Outer Radius damage reduced from 60 to 40.
Inner Radius reduced from 3.25m to 3m

Semtex Level 2

Reduced outer explosion radius from 4.25m to 4m.

Rogues

Anvil:
No longer immune to EMPs and Slows.
Chaac
Ability Duration increased from 7s to 15s.
Downed Health increased to 50.
Ronin:
Removed Sixth Sense. Now has Tracker Rounds.
Ballistic Knife proximity damage reduced from 125 to 100.
Vy:
Talon:
Fixed an issue where sprint would lock the player out longer than intended.

Gl1tch:
Removed Sixth Sense. Now has Headstrong.

Weapons
Submachine Guns

D40-C (Chaac)

Range increased from 11m to 12.5m
Increased ADS movement speed.

SL-C (Ronin, Scorch)

Range increased from 9.5m to 11.5m

24S (Lancer)

Range increased from 10.5m to 12.5m

LMP-X (Gl1tch, Talon)

Range increased from 12.5m to 13m

Objection (Dahlia)

Range increased from 9.5m to 10m

A3 Salvo (Scorch)

Falloff Damage Range 1: Headshot damage increased from 51 to 52. Body damage increased from 33 to 34.
Falloff Damage Range 2: Headshot damage increased from 38 to 44. Body damage increased from 25 to 29.
Range increased from 12m to 13m
No longer has unlimited ammo, now has 126 rounds

Executioner (Anvil, Dahlia, Dima, Gl1tch, Saint, Trench, Vy)

No longer has unlimited ammo, now has 84 rounds

LW6 Revolver (Dallas)

No longer has unlimited ammo, now has 42 rounds

P12K (Phantom, Talon)

No longer has unlimited ammo, now has 49 rounds

Spitfire (Chaac, Lancer, Ronin)

No longer has unlimited ammo, now has 105 rounds

Quality of Life:

In Strikeout Mode, Bleed out will now say to activate “Use” instead of “X” to bleedout on PC. The X key can now be rebound.
Made a number of changes to the Emote and Radial Wheel which include:
A prompt will now display what must be pressed to close the Radial wheel
Players will now stop entirely when playing an Emote
On PC the Comm Wheel keys have been move from ‘8' and ‘9’ to ‘T’ and 'X’
When making a selection on the radial wheel on a console, the controller will rumble to indicate this
Players will now still be displayed on the End of Match summary if they leave the game.

Bugs:

Fixed an issue which would sometimes cause a PC player to crash in a cross platform Custom match.
Fixed an issue that allowed players to abuse the “shooting behind cover” feature

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Oh no, they made a Dr. Disrespect skin for Dallas.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pandaal posted:

The game is made by Hi-Rez

:cripes:

do not spend money on this game until it's been out for a while, and we know for a fact it's not going to just get dropped like a rock covered in poo the second it doesn't hit the absurdly high expected player numbers

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

:cripes:

do not spend money on this game until it's been out for a while, and we know for a fact it's not going to just get dropped like a rock covered in poo the second it doesn't hit the absurdly high expected player numbers

I want this game to succeed, but its closes competitor, Valorant, has a leg up on it and keeps putting out really impressive content updates.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

New map today as well, the arena. You can queue up in a playlist that randomizes all the game modes just on that map.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

big nipples big life posted:

New map today as well, the arena. You can queue up in a playlist that randomizes all the game modes just on that map.

I like the map-based playlist. There's also an achievement specific to the map so being able to select it helps there.

Also, map's good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i'm really bad at learning maps in games so i welcome this new mode :v:

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Agreed. My biggest issue with getting into Siege is that the maps are so intricate but there's no way to just "practice" on one besides custom games. I love that they have a mode where you just matchmake every game mode on the new map so you can learn it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Third person shooters are woefully imbalanced due to peekers advantage. I really don't get it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You just play differently than you would an fps.

The new VO on Phantom's legendary outfit is so bad it's good.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Skyarb posted:

Third person shooters are woefully imbalanced due to peekers advantage. I really don't get it.

I’m not sure how people still think that getting peeks is all there is to tactics in a shooter. Safer peeking in third person just opens another realm of strategic considerations considering your enemy also has it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I can't believe they buffed smgs in the last patch, when solo queueing I can generally tell from the first character screen who is going to win in strikeout by which team has the most smg characters.

Depending on how they do in ranked demo play I may change my tune but in casual play smgs feel like they steamroller everything.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 18, 2020

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

big nipples big life posted:

I can't believe they buffed smgs in the last patch, when solo queueing I can generally tell from the first character screen who is going to win in strikeout by which team has the most smg characters.

Depending on how they do in ranked demo play I may change my tune but in casual play smgs feel like they steamroller everything.

Yeah I don’t think anyone was complaining about SMGs being underpowered before the buff, and now they’re complete bullshit. As if Ronin and Lancer weren’t wack enough -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
What is the difference between being outlined and being on the minimap and what causes which when?