Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel 3 came out of US release date limbo. November 18 and 21 through Fathom Events. No news of a virtual screening like for Made in Abyss.

I have mixed feelings, because on the one hand, loving finally, but on the other hand... :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I was a big Animaniacs fan growing up but the quality definitely varies based on the skits. The Warners, Pinky and the Brain, and Slappy Squirrel were usually solid, Buttons and Mindy was okay but mostly the same joke over and over, and The Goodfeathers and Rita and Runt were... not so great. Those I tended to skip when rewatching the episodes on DVD.

Goodfeathers especially is pretty bizarre on a conceptual level - I can see doing it as a one-off, but having a recurring part of your show be a parody of mob movies that 99% of children aren't going to get doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FilthyImp posted:

I never knew they did a Power Rangers send up until I found it on YouTube randomly.

I knew this because the same episode had a Barney the Dinosaur parody, which my father made a point of recording.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Also, Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel 3 came out of US release date limbo. November 18 and 21 through Fathom Events. No news of a virtual screening like for Made in Abyss.

I have mixed feelings, because on the one hand, loving finally, but on the other hand... :cripes:

I saw the first two in theaters but i'm not risking covid for any movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I know they had a short that was a pointed "For the love of god LEAVE TESS ALONE YOU OBSESSIVE FUCKS it's just a cartoon"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When they put Animaniacs on Netflix a few years ago and I got to watch it as an adult, it made a lot more sense that a lot of the skits were basically made for grown-ups, or outright to amuse Speilberg himself. It was as if it was on a kid's programming block and unless you were The Simpsons, making a cartoon in the US, you have to make it for kids. I mean, what kid is going to appreciate a skit where the Warner Bros harass a Jerry Lewis movie director parody in the 1990s? Or a parody of the infamous Orson Welles Frozen Peas commercial?

The rewatch made me realize Chicken Boo was the best character/bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Animaniacs is an odd mix of influences. That the Warners are meant to be Golden Age inkblot cartoons sealed away for being too wild for audiences of the time, and Slappy's deal, makes it pretty clear that they're using Golden Age and Looney Tunes styles as well, which in a half-hour block format pretty much means a set of skits, sometimes musical, and specific parodies of pop culture that the grown-ups will get. I think the times they do then-contemporary stuff shows why it's mostly spoofing stuff that adults (ie, the writers) are actually familiar with.

Road Rovers I never saw much of, but the premise is also kinda weird- it's got the setup of a TMNT knockoff but a formula and sense of humour closer to Animaniacs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I put Road Rovers in the same mental slot as The Mighty Ducks cartoon.

Though RR did have that joke about Russian names and Dude Sonofobich

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was a massive fan of the Mighty Ducks cartoon back in the day. Don't ask me why, besides that it was there and I lived in bumfuck nowhere with nothing to do but watch cartoons. It's also a weird one in retrospect... might be more along the lines of Street Sharks in being a mix of 90s influences but maybe closer to the 80s TMNT in themes. Also, apparently the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim still own the rights to the main character.

Does have some interesting character takes; the team's hulking muscle is a gentle Zen type who uses his strength with precision, and the nerd is a butch gal and spluttering dork who switches from technobabble to layman's terms mid-sentence.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The ironic thing about Animaniacs and those other western Fox shows is their best episodes were animated in Japan, at TMS, and yet they eventually got supplanted by anime. One of the reasons Animaniacs was cancelled is it wasn't a big enough draw compared to shows like Pokemon which WB could import and not pay any animation costs for.

There's some animator reels on youtube of guys who worked on Animaniacs and Batman who had previously been doing amazing shots on Akira.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ccs posted:

The ironic thing about Animaniacs and those other western Fox shows is their best episodes were animated in Japan
True. But that's like US Animation History 101. All the awesome tech cockpits and energy ray poo poo from cartoon intros were Japanese studio stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

I saw the first two in theaters but i'm not risking covid for any movie.

I know I shouldn't but god drat this is some devil's temptation, and I know I can't be the only person feeling like that. :cripes:

loving Aniplex.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
New trailer for Soul out

Still not really feeling it but I know they’ll probably destroy my heart in this movie

I mean from all the Inside Out trailers I thought the whole movie would be dumb comedy like that breakfast scene with the parents where we cut to endless reaction shots of the emotions as mundane stuff happens in the outside world

I didn’t expect it would be a whole fuckin journey through the human psyche that would leave me bawling by the end

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah like so many Pixar movies before release, it's squarely in that "could be the greatest movie ever or could be just ok" zone.

I mean I guess that's a lot of movies but you know what I mean

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
bakshiiiiiiiiii

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

bakshi has definitely had weirdo fans before, but possibly never one who's imprinted on him as a surrogate grandfather

i hope it's weirding him out, he deserves to be weirded out in his old age as a punishment for the various female characters he has unleashed on the world

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sorry animation thread i'm drunk and emotional again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

oh no

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Lindsay Ellis has am interesting take on Animaniacs in this series of tweets. I dont remember enough about the show to say with 100% certainty that she's right (the pop culture jokes and references didnt translate well to an Italian audience) but it seems to track with what I remember.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1315471045067857921

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gently caress history! i am going to kill it. i am going to kill history, and free humanity from its vile clutches

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm coming for you, history! you can't hide from me!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Go to bed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
please do not gently caress history, it is very fragile

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What about HERstory

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

What about HERstory

Some may argue that Her Story, this "game", is in fact not a game. In this essay I will

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

Go to bed.

don't mind if i do! yoouuuuuu

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's kind of a rough chuckle with the Animaniacs in that the cartoon characters they most strongly resemble are Bosko and Honey, which suggests a very different reason for why they were locked in the Warner vault. (Bosko and Honey earlier featured in a Tiny Toon's episode, which was their first appearance in some fifty years and had Bosko working as a "vault keeper.")

I get the impression that somewhere along the line the Animaniacs were meant to be a part of a reexamination and reappraisal of the old Bosko shorts, but that aspect of them got (perhaps wisely) squashed before production.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not remember ever liking the main skits of Animaniacs very much, and Im very concerned with the reboot coming back with a film parody of a film that would have been parody when the show came out. If you asked me what I liked it was the interstitial weird shorts like good idea and bad idea or the wheel of morality + Pinky and the Brain.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly out of the three Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and Tiny Toons - Tiny Toons holds up the best as it's the least topical-driven humor as it leans into the school setting and more classic loony toons nonsense into more modern setting, Animaniacs' man one is way more topical/pop-culture driven.

Freakazoid feels the most topical, and also a surprising huge amount of gags are basically In-Jokes only people familiar with SoCal would get - and why it aged the worst out of the three imho.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's something inherintely funny about someone deciding to make Jerry Lewis, Internet Superhero into a cartoon for children.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Kids love F Troop and Hello Dolly

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's something inherintely funny about someone deciding to make Jerry Lewis, Internet Superhero into a cartoon for children.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Kids love F Troop and Hello Dolly

honestly, I think you kind of have to ignore the references being made to get why it worked for children

as a little kid I didn't know what the hell a Jerry Lewis was, but I loved Freakazoid, because the jokes worked totally fine without the context of "this guy's basically Jerry Lewis"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly out of the three Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and Tiny Toons - Tiny Toons holds up the best as it's the least topical-driven humor as it leans into the school setting and more classic loony toons nonsense into more modern setting, Animaniacs' man one is way more topical/pop-culture driven.

Freakazoid feels the most topical, and also a surprising huge amount of gags are basically In-Jokes only people familiar with SoCal would get - and why it aged the worst out of the three imho.

How dare you ignore Histeria! :colbert:

... Though granted, I haven't watched an episode since I was ten and from what little I remember it probably hasn't held up well either.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Oh absolutely. I just rewatched the series and the number of things I missed but get now was staggering.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also Freakazoid gave us Candle Jack, which is a meme that is still someh

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There's this song in Animaniacs that I saw on youtube where they just absolutely drag Disney.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrud9uW_wI

I like it because I like the idea of Disney not being God, and thus it being possible to take shots at it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly, I think you kind of have to ignore the references being made to get why it worked for children

as a little kid I didn't know what the hell a Jerry Lewis was, but I loved Freakazoid, because the jokes worked totally fine without the context of "this guy's basically Jerry Lewis"

honestly as a kid, I didn't get it was Jerry Lewis, but I get Mr. Director was an obnoxious self-absorbed twit, of course they also used him to make fun of Heart of Darkness' notoriously troubled production

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's this song in Animaniacs that I saw on youtube where they just absolutely drag Disney.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrud9uW_wI

I like it because I like the idea of Disney not being God, and thus it being possible to take shots at it.

That's an incredible video

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Goodfeathers especially is pretty bizarre on a conceptual level - I can see doing it as a one-off, but having a recurring part of your show be a parody of mob movies that 99% of children aren't going to get doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

Well, so far, the animaniacs reboot has the sneak peek (which was 100% "this is the show you liked as a kid") and this note-for-note parody of Jurassic park, featuring celebrities that kids have zero connection to (I think I knew who Spielberg was as a kid, but he was responsible for a lot of family friendly, cultural touchstones when I was growing up, which just isn't the case now). So really, the humor is intact.

Anyway, lets all remember Animaniacs for the Countries of the World skit, where Yakko slips in Tibet, Taiwan, and Palestine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was a massive fan of the Mighty Ducks cartoon back in the day. Don't ask me why, besides that it was there and I lived in bumfuck nowhere with nothing to do but watch cartoons. It's also a weird one in retrospect... might be more along the lines of Street Sharks in being a mix of 90s influences but maybe closer to the 80s TMNT in themes. Also, apparently the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim still own the rights to the main character.

:eng101: Wildwing isn't just a thing in their IP bin, he's still their mascot! Although the team dropped the "mighty" when they swapped their color scheme. They're just the Anaheim Ducks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

What were the SoCal reference in freakazoid?