Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Darthemed posted:

If you like other Adam Rifkin films, you might as well watch The Dark Backward. It’s certainly an uncommon plot, at the very least.

I liked Detroit Rock City, that's all I've seen of his I think. Right on, that's recommendation enough for me. I'll post my findings, especially if I'm traumatized.

New page huh, well, watch all of Dario Argento's movies everybody! At least up up thru that one with Brad Dourif, Trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Should I watch Vampire in Brooklyn by the way?

Nah. You're not really missing anything other than the novelty of it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to know, it's always a little tempting though. That's the magic of memorable looking apparently bad movies I haven't seen, the mystery.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Has anyone seen Nekromantic? I went looking for Body Melt and noticed HMV is doing 2 for £15 on seemingly all Arrow horror blu rays... And Nekromantic has cover art by one of my favourite artists, Godmachine.

It seems it's just gross for the sake of being gross? I enjoy weird, gross poo poo like Bad Biology though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A good cat. I fuckin' love Body Melt

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Does anyone know if any of the streaming services have the good version of Deep Red? I think both Prime and Hoopla have the 100 minute cut.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they're all the bad one for some stupid reason. Even Kanopy which I usually trust to do better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Has anyone seen Nekromantic? I went looking for Body Melt and noticed HMV is doing 2 for £15 on seemingly all Arrow horror blu rays... And Nekromantic has cover art by one of my favourite artists, Godmachine.

It seems it's just gross for the sake of being gross? I enjoy weird, gross poo poo like Bad Biology though.

I went to go look for my Letterboxd review because I know I watched it last year, but all I wrote was "Well, hm." and gave it 1 star.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lumbermouth posted:

Does anyone know if any of the streaming services have the good version of Deep Red? I think both Prime and Hoopla have the 100 minute cut.

Shudder's is 104 mins, so also not the theatrical.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nekromantik 2 its better

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I wrote a review for this a couple years ago and the whole thing was "Don't watch this movie", so take that as you will

iirc it's basically nothing but people loving corpses intercut with actual footage of a rabbit being slaughtered and skinned. that cover art is 1000x better than the film itself

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm also looking for more good witch films.

Forgot to mention this one:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-craft

Less heavy than my other suggestions but still quite good IMO.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I wrote a review for this a couple years ago and the whole thing was "Don't watch this movie", so take that as you will

iirc it's basically nothing but people loving corpses intercut with actual footage of a rabbit being slaughtered and skinned. that cover art is 1000x better than the film itself

So, buying that movie is pretty much a honeypot, and you'll end up on multiple watchlists?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I almost went and saw it as part of an anti-Valentines Day series at a local microcinema earlier this year, but after looking it up on Letterboxd I decided against it thank god.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I also had to refer to my Letterboxd review to remember what I thought of Nekromantik. Looks like a no-go from me:

This is a boring, poorly shot, poorly acted, poorly scored, amateurish piece of garbage. It's a film that's famous purely for its premise, not its execution. The only "interesting" scenes are completely ruined by the stylized camera effect. You know a film is desperate to shock when it relies on extended footage of a rabbit being killed and mutilated. For a movie to be effectively disturbing it needs to at least be well made. This movie fails at that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And Nekromantic has cover art by one of my favourite artists, Godmachine.

Oh neat, I’ve always liked that cover but had no idea it was GM who did it. He used to live my end of town so I’d bump into him grocery shopping sometimes, always a nice dude and his Alien artwork was my favorite screen print I picked up when I was buying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy loving poo poo The Invisible Man 2020. I can't breathe. Like I literally can't catch my breath.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I think they're all the bad one for some stupid reason. Even Kanopy which I usually trust to do better.
I can't say for Deep Red in particular, but I've noticed that Amazon often has multiple versions of the same movie and you have to go by the runtime to know which version it is.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

drat, that cover rules. Too bad the movie seems to be a steaming pile

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Holy loving poo poo The Invisible Man 2020. I can't breathe. Like I literally can't catch my breath.

After all the positive reviews and endorsements from this thread, I gave this a shot a few weeks ago. I think it falls into the category of "I can see this is well made, but I'm really not enjoying it." Like, it works very well as a horror movie, but watching someone gaslit for 2 hours is not my idea of a good time. That's not a condemnation of the film, but just my own baggage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stryder posted:

After all the positive reviews and endorsements from this thread, I gave this a shot a few weeks ago. I think it falls into the category of "I can see this is well made, but I'm really not enjoying it." Like, it works very well as a horror movie, but watching someone gaslit for 2 hours is not my idea of a good time. That's not a condemnation of the film, but just my own baggage.

I can appreciate that perspective. For me I thought it was so drat effective at putting me in her place. I've never been in that kind of relationship and yet I felt so suffocated and scared and hopeless to the point where I was sitting there unable to breath and wondering what the hell she could do and feeling so exhausted that the idea of suicide came to mind. That definitely can be a very terrible experience but I also think it was a very powerful experience for me. But right after I saw it someone read the emotion on my face and asked me what was wrong and I told them I had just watched an amazing movie. They of course asked me what it was and I hesitated and warned them that it might be too much, that it might be too affecting and powerful at what it does. It does feel like a movie that could be very triggering and very unpleasant. Not in a exploitative or offensive sense, but just in how well it captures those feelings of abuse by presenting them to the audience as some kind of haunted house/slasher/psychological thriller hybrid.

I can literally hear them watching it in the next room right now so I'm actually a little worried how it all will be received. That it might be too much.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yo Kvlt, have you seen a movie called The Deeper You Dig? You should check it out, it has your favourite actress in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm writing up my thoughts for Invisible Man today too and... bah the first 30-45 minutes were fantastic, but there's two paths they could've taken with regards to it and to me they picked the wrong one. But Moss is great and I think if the opening half of the movie wasn't quite so good, I'd have enjoyed it overall more. It's not like the last half is bad in any way, it just changes tone a bit too much.

It would be interesting to know what was going on from the brother/husbands POV and where they switched up etc. Chekov's suit always going to come into play!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm writing up my thoughts for Invisible Man today too and... bah the first 30-45 minutes were fantastic, but there's two paths they could've taken with regards to it and to me they picked the wrong one. But Moss is great and I think if the opening half of the movie wasn't quite so good, I'd have enjoyed it overall more. It's not like the last half is bad in any way, it just changes tone a bit too much.

It would be interesting to know what was going on from the brother/husbands POV and where they switched up etc. Chekov's suit always going to come into play!

I think that aspect is really interesting because like was the brother actually doing it all? Its obvious Adrian IS an abuser but its not as obvious that he was the Invisible Man. Like... its never explained how he got himself tied up or how he would have convinced his brother to play his part in the setup. Cecile is convinced he did it and its easy for us to think that too. But its never actually confirmed. Is it possible he didn't? Is it possible she just murdered the wrong guy? I think Aldis Hodge does a great job showing his completely inability to know what to feel in that moment as he contemplates that possibility as well. He's a monster. Maybe he deserved it. But did he deserve it for what she thinks he does? I honestly don't know.

That movie had SO much going on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stryder posted:

This is why I haven't caught it yet. I was really excited about it, but when I actually sat down with the intention of watching it I found myself wanting to avoid that felt like a deeply unpleasant experience and I watched something goopy and fun instead. That certainly says something about me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think he definitely confirmed to at least be a part of it with the 'surprise' line, but it's not one that would've held up in court for sure. Also the dude's reaction to seeing his wife leave was to break someone's car window, and he was the one who developed all the tech. But yes, there's a bunch going on and it would be interesting if the filmmakers gave any real thought to that part or just wanted to give it a 'cool ending'.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh neat, I’ve always liked that cover but had no idea it was GM who did it.

I have a few of his pieces, found this and thought "it HAS TO BE" and went on a search to confirm it. Definitely seems like a good dude.

XIII posted:

drat, that cover rules. Too bad the movie seems to be a steaming pile

Yeah. :(

He's done some other artwork, did a Killer Klowns one for Arrow specifically then his own interpretations of some films and here is IMO his best work:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think he definitely confirmed to at least be a part of it with the 'surprise' line, but it's not one that would've held up in court for sure. Also the dude's reaction to seeing his wife leave was to break someone's car window, and he was the one who developed all the tech. But yes, there's a bunch going on and it would be interesting if the filmmakers gave any real thought to that part or just wanted to give it a 'cool ending'.

I agree that the "surprise" thing is a hint that he's confessing to her. I think it was exactly meant to be that as the thing she needed to hear to confirm it to her and justify her plan to kill him. But its also ambiguous. And that got me really interested. And that in and of itself is yet another metaphor for the abuse situation because a victim of such a man will always have to worry about questions like that for themselves and from others. That's what gaslighting is after all, no? Someone making you question yourself. And others questioning how much of it is true. Its terrible and horrible and I don't even know that I'm upset at Cecile if she was wrong. I don't know if I'm upset at myself for questioning her. Like I said, I think Hodge did a great job in that small moment with her representing everything I was feeling in that moment. Murder? Self defense? Justice? The wrong guy? The wrong guy but another monster? Am I the bad guy for questioning her after everything she's been through? So much.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

He's done some other artwork, did a Killer Klowns one for Arrow specifically then his own interpretations of some films and here is IMO his best work:
*snip*

All dope

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The most disappointing thing about Nekromantik for me is that I loved every minute of it, until the rabbit death, at which point I bailed. It's just an incredibly goofy and silly splatter movie. There's one wonderful scene for instance in which an ambulance is called to a car crash, and the paramedics just appear with trash bags and start scooping up body parts as if they were collecting litter.

E: Nekromantik 2 seemed purposefully boring and tame in comparison, presumably as a reaction to the first film, but it's worth watching for the last minute punchline.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 15, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

There's one wonderful scene for instance in which an ambulance is called to a car crash, and the paramedics just appear with trash bags and start scooping up body parts as if they were collecting litter.

This rules, you're making me want to watch it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just got to thinking, I've never actually seen the theatrical cut of The Exorcist. I've seen "The Version You've Never Seen" many times (is this just called the Director's Cut now?). What's the general consensus on the better version?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

STAC Goat posted:

I agree that the "surprise" thing is a hint that he's confessing to her. I think it was exactly meant to be that as the thing she needed to hear to confirm it to her and justify her plan to kill him. But its also ambiguous. And that got me really interested. And that in and of itself is yet another metaphor for the abuse situation because a victim of such a man will always have to worry about questions like that for themselves and from others. That's what gaslighting is after all, no? Someone making you question yourself. And others questioning how much of it is true. Its terrible and horrible and I don't even know that I'm upset at Cecile if she was wrong. I don't know if I'm upset at myself for questioning her. Like I said, I think Hodge did a great job in that small moment with her representing everything I was feeling in that moment. Murder? Self defense? Justice? The wrong guy? The wrong guy but another monster? Am I the bad guy for questioning her after everything she's been through? So much.

Yeah, I definitely think he chose a very specific thing to say to her that would trigger her without being a slam dunk confession that others will automatically believe. Which kinda puts the very end back into the same tone as the first half of the movie, which I far preferred. I just loved everything going on in that first hour - starting off with the escape which was scary as hell, then moving into territory of fear because she thinks he's out to get her, then being unable to let go of the years of torment even though he is 'dead', followed by pushing away friends because they think she's unstable. It all makes total sense without a supernatural or technology explanation, using his presence as a metaphor for how it feels to be trapped still works great. But then when you find out he absolutely is still alive and it's all tech trickery, it massively loses points for me. Having the possibility of an unreliable narrator was just more interesting, what if she did push her friends daughter? What if she did lash out at her sister with a knife? When you know there's a boogieman doing it all, it's not as interesting. When he seems to be a guy who can wipe out an entire hospital staff and gains a whole ton of strength just from wearing the suit, ehhh it started to lose me. Which is a shame, especially when the scene with the paint in the attic was awesome - despite that being the beginning of the tone shift - but then when she gets ragdolled around straight after, it's just too much of a shift.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

This is why I haven't caught it yet. I was really excited about it, but when I actually sat down with the intention of watching it I found myself wanting to avoid that felt like a deeply unpleasant experience and I watched something goopy and fun instead. That certainly says something about me.

I feel like, between Invisible Man getting so much traction and... Ari Aster in general, this is kind of just where horror is now and the "goopy and fun" crowd is gonna have a bad decade or two. :smith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I just got to thinking, I've never actually seen the theatrical cut of The Exorcist. I've seen "The Version You've Never Seen" many times (is this just called the Director's Cut now?). What's the general consensus on the better version?

Personally I prefer the theatrical cut, but there's one particular scene in the Director's Cut(or whatever it's called) that I wish was in the theatrical, the scene where Karris is listening to the tapes in the library. Other than that I'm not really a fan of the Director's Cut additions.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I feel like, between Invisible Man getting so much traction and... Ari Aster in general, this is kind of just where horror is now and the "goopy and fun" crowd is gonna have a bad decade or two. :smith:

We really haven't had "goopy and fun" front and center since sometime in the 90's

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, I definitely think he chose a very specific thing to say to her that would trigger her without being a slam dunk confession that others will automatically believe. Which kinda puts the very end back into the same tone as the first half of the movie, which I far preferred. I just loved everything going on in that first hour - starting off with the escape which was scary as hell, then moving into territory of fear because she thinks he's out to get her, then being unable to let go of the years of torment even though he is 'dead', followed by pushing away friends because they think she's unstable. It all makes total sense without a supernatural or technology explanation, using his presence as a metaphor for how it feels to be trapped still works great. But then when you find out he absolutely is still alive and it's all tech trickery, it massively loses points for me. Having the possibility of an unreliable narrator was just more interesting, what if she did push her friends daughter? What if she did lash out at her sister with a knife? When you know there's a boogieman doing it all, it's not as interesting. When he seems to be a guy who can wipe out an entire hospital staff and gains a whole ton of strength just from wearing the suit, ehhh it started to lose me. Which is a shame, especially when the scene with the paint in the attic was awesome - despite that being the beginning of the tone shift - but then when she gets ragdolled around straight after, it's just too much of a shift.

I think I disagree there. I don't think there was ever a question that it was all in her head or something like that. We see evidence that she's being stalked before she does. The frozen breath in the air, the stove, the blanket. That stuff all happens before the attic scene and from our perspective not hers. So I think if it had been "its in her head" I would have hated the movie and maybe called it misogynistic and stupid and cheap.

Instead I think the film is broken up into a haunted house film and then a slasher film and finally a psychological thriller. And that can definitely be a bit too much and it could have fallen under the weight of all that tonal shift but I think it works for me in part because all the parts are done well, in part because Moss carries the emotion of it so well, and in part because I think its just further metaphor about abuse. That it doesn't just end when you recognize it and confront it and fight back. There's so many more ways for it to break you down and hurt you and I think that's why the movie just keeps going in the direction it does rather than just having her fight the invisible man and kill him.

I can't blame you if it didn't work for you because I do think it was very atypical and complicated and really shaky. But I think they nailed it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thats fair, and I think for me to be more sold on it would just require some editing. I think my main issues revolve around the sequences in the hospital. It just gets silly at that point, but then again it's difficult to make a film about a man in an invisible suit not feel silly! It's a very difficult line to walk, and I can see why it worked perfectly for some but it veered off too much for me. I definitely didn't want it to end with her being seen as crazy and it all being in her head, but I think revealing to the audience at that point was mistimed and then they had to roll for another hour in that world. I probably would like it more on a rewatch now I have expectations, but after such a strong first hour I can't help but feel let down. I liked the static shots where you're just scanning the screen for something and if you miss it - bad luck! I wish I hadn't rewound to see the knife 'fall' off the counter, as they did a good job in you not being 100% sure the first time as it drops just after she walks past so maybe she knocked it? Things like that were great, and yes Moss absolutely killed it throughout. Throw her a best actress nomination in this stupid hosed up year!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

yeah I really miss fun horror, or even just goofier and less "depressing" horror. It may just be burnout but a horror movie being described as "atmospheric" these days is such a turn-off. Especially in current times, when I watch a movie I want fun slasher-zombie-goopy fun, not 2 and a half hours of Ari Aster depression-core.

Jedit posted:

Yo Kvlt, have you seen a movie called The Deeper You Dig? You should check it out, it has your favourite actress in.

lmao this is hilarious ima check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thats fair, and I think for me to be more sold on it would just require some editing. I think my main issues revolve around the sequences in the hospital. It just gets silly at that point, but then again it's difficult to make a film about a man in an invisible suit not feel silly! It's a very difficult line to walk, and I can see why it worked perfectly for some but it veered off too much for me. I definitely didn't want it to end with her being seen as crazy and it all being in her head, but I think revealing to the audience at that point was mistimed and then they had to roll for another hour in that world. I probably would like it more on a rewatch now I have expectations, but after such a strong first hour I can't help but feel let down. I liked the static shots where you're just scanning the screen for something and if you miss it - bad luck! I wish I hadn't rewound to see the knife 'fall' off the counter, as they did a good job in you not being 100% sure the first time as it drops just after she walks past so maybe she knocked it? Things like that were great, and yes Moss absolutely killed it throughout. Throw her a best actress nomination in this stupid hosed up year!
By the hospital scene I assume you mean when he started just killing a dozen cops and I can definitely see where that would have lost you. It worked for me but it was on the line. It kind of felt like the movie shifted into a MCU movie for a minute or two. That might have been a bit of a misstep for them and the movie probably didn't need that scene played out that way.