Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KomradeX posted:

So Netflix has some show about the French Revolution with some supernatural elements going in the background, which I'll admit is always a genre I enjoy, but it looks like the AV club not big fans of it

https://tv.avclub.com/la-revolution...source=facebook

Sounds like the reviewer doesn't love the idea that the Revolution was a wholly good thing even if a lot of bad stuff happened

Weird how no one ever makes this criticism of les mis but then most adaptations of les mis do all they can to avoid contextualizing what the gently caress is going on so they can pretend like the cop is nobly misguided rather than an idiot rube who kills himself when forced to acknowledge that he was the baddy all

KomradeX posted:

So Netflix has some show about the French Revolution with some supernatural elements going in the background, which I'll admit is always a genre I enjoy, but it looks like the AV club not big fans of it

Sounds like the reviewer doesn't love the idea that the Revolution was a wholly good thing even if a lot of bad stuff happened

Weird how this criticism never applies to les mis but then most adaptations of les mis go out of their way to avoid contextualizing what the gently caress is even going on post timeskip to instead handwring about how the cop is a noble honorable figure when he is in fact an idiot rube who kills himself rather than own up to the fact he's spent his entire life being a shithead and the guy he's been hunting down this whole time is an infinitely more noble person than any of the assholes who sign his paycheck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

eddington did nothing wrong

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

next season you have this lovely fellow to look forward to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Wami6CJiA

another reason for me to finally watch season 3. what a great scene that reflects on old money vs nouveau riche

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Not that CSPAM necessarily needs this PSA, but:

https://twitter.com/LicensedT0Ill/status/1316388214576476165

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
eh im missing the point, nevermind

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's worded....weirdly, to be fair.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

KomradeX posted:

quote:

While the majority of the series is set in and around the French county of Montagris in 1787, two years before and approximately 80 miles away from the site of the formal beginning of the revolution, La Révolution’s opening scene jumps forward in time to offer us a peek at the carnage to come. “It is said that history is written by the winners. It is forgotten that it is rewritten over time,” a young girl’s voice tells us as the camera surveys the desolation of what we can only presume is Paris in the year 1789. “Transformed by books. Reinvented by those who didn’t live through it.” As we watch this same girl (played by Amélia Lacquemant), strutting astride a blood-drenched pale horse through an apocalyptic winter landscape before decapitating a nobleman with a machete, a rich blue geyser of blood spilling out from his neck, she tells us that her name is Madeleine de Montargis and that what follows is a testament “on how the century of darkness became that of enlightenment.” You know, barring that whole “Reign Of Terror” business and the rise of Napoleonic authoritarianism and all that—but yeah, sure, enlightenment!

badass

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

that whole review is like complaining that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter didn't cover Sherman's March to the Sea

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MoaM posted:

Not that CSPAM necessarily needs this PSA, but:

https://twitter.com/LicensedT0Ill/status/1316388214576476165

Vance is a venture capitalist who was in the marines as a public affairs guy, went to Yale Law School, worked for Peter Thiel, and didn't live in Appalachia.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

that whole review is like complaining that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter didn't cover Sherman's March to the Sea

Right, loving insane. If anything this review has convinced me to watch it cause it sounds awesome.

I also stand by the idea that Abraham Lincoln Vampire hunter was a better Lincoln movie than Lincoln was

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Zerilan posted:

Vance is a venture capitalist who was in the marines as a public affairs guy, went to Yale Law School, worked for Peter Thiel, and didn't live in Appalachia.

Wow, he went to Yale? No wonder he's wasting his time in the arts. You'd think he'd choose one of the better institutions...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Serf posted:

people who are being rewarded by the status quo are very invested in defaming and discrediting revolutionary movements of the past

This is true. Liberals get antsy ar any pop cultural depictions of change that don't adhere to their viewpoints

Serf
May 5, 2011

also, lest we forget

they whine "bad things happened in the terror" like bad poo poo wasn't already happening before that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Some Guy TT posted:

Weird how no one ever makes this criticism of les mis but then most adaptations of les mis do all they can to avoid contextualizing what the gently caress is going on so they can pretend like the cop is nobly misguided rather than an idiot rube who kills himself when forced to acknowledge that he was the baddy all

Weird how this criticism never applies to les mis but then most adaptations of les mis go out of their way to avoid contextualizing what the gently caress is even going on post timeskip to instead handwring about how the cop is a noble honorable figure when he is in fact an idiot rube who kills himself rather than own up to the fact he's spent his entire life being a shithead and the guy he's been hunting down this whole time is an infinitely more noble person than any of the assholes who sign his paycheck

Les Mis is a different Revolution.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Something else I just realized about that dumb review, complaining about drawing parallels between wealth inequality in pre-revolutionary France and today isn't hasn't some economists or historians estimated that wealth inequality in America today is on par with that?

Edit: Couldn't find anything that dargis that directly but I did come across this

U.S. Income Inequality: It's Worse Today Than It Was in 1774

Not about France but still a big LOL

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Serf posted:

also, lest we forget

they whine "bad things happened in the terror" like bad poo poo wasn't already happening before that

lines up really well with people complaining about the bolsheviks too and end up trying to rehabilitate tsarist russia

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Les Mis is a different Revolution.

In the 80 so years between 1789 and 1870 France saw more than a dozen revolutions, coups, counter coups, and that time Napoleon III launched a coup against himself. It was possible for a man to be born under the old monarchy and live under more government than he had fingers.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

that time Napoleon III launched a coup against himself.
What the Hell? Reichstag fire-type situation?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Serf posted:

also, lest we forget

Also there was literally a second (and third) Terror where aristocrats killed more people in a wave of revanchist bloodlust than died in the first Terror

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I think it's fine to criticize depictions of the past as portrayed in the media, but I'm not going to be too harsh on the show about Louis XVI being a vampire. It's obviously a work of pulp meant to channel anger at inequality today into a fantastical historical setting.

It's only disturbing if you're afraid the Revolution went too far.

I guess if they make Danton a demon or something, I would be sort of annoyed at it.

I'm continuing the goon tradition of posting about a show I haven't watched yet.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Serf posted:

also, lest we forget

reminds me of this

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I also stand by the idea that Abraham Lincoln Vampire hunter was a better Lincoln movie than Lincoln was
The vampire hunter one was bad on every level. Like, a big twist is that the guy who only drinks red stuff and can't go out In sunlight is a....vampire.
Spielberg's movie was better on both a technical level and an ideologically level. It doesn't say that Lincoln personally ended slavery because he was so noble but that people almost voted for continuing keeping slavery and that Lincoln was racist.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1315471045067857921

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
We need a bunch more Civil War movies. It's a bummer that Free State of Jones flopped because it's quite good, even if the one-drop case of Newt Knight's descendant should have been saved as an epilogue rather than intercut with the main narrative as flashforwards. There's lots of good movie potential with Sherman's March to the Sea, Grierson's Raid, the Siege of Vicksburg, or horrorshows like Albert Jenkins' brigade abducting free blacks during the Confederate invasion of Pennsylvania, the Fort Pillow massacre, or the Battle of the Crater.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

We need a bunch more Civil War movies. It's a bummer that Free State of Jones flopped because it's quite good, even if the one-drop case of Newt Knight's descendant should have been saved as an epilogue rather than intercut with the main narrative as flashforwards. There's lots of good movie potential with Sherman's March to the Sea, Grierson's Raid, the Siege of Vicksburg, or horrorshows like Albert Jenkins' brigade abducting free blacks during the Confederate invasion of Pennsylvania, the Fort Pillow massacre, or the Battle of the Crater.

The Battle of North Anna with an extended scene of Robert E Lee just making GBS threads and farting everywhere while Grant kicks rear end and finally breaks the impasse of the Overland Campaign

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Don't worry. Our collective fathers-in-law will be sure to talk over the entire movie to tell us about Sherman's March.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Biopic of August Willich please

Also I should check out Free State of Jones I guess?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's pretty solid. Notably the last 45 minutes or so deals with the immediate postwar period where the Confederate states backslide and basically reinstitute slavery under "apprenticeship" laws, which necessitates military occupation of the South by federal armies. Reconstruction in general doesn't get the time or attention it deserves compared to the war. It's depressing as hell, but Reconstruction's failure is one of the most significant events in the country's history.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

What the Hell? Reichstag fire-type situation?

he was elected president with a huge majority in 1848 but had to deal with a conservative parliament that stymied attempts at reform, and he was term-limited and couldn't run again so instead he staged a coup and declared himself emperor

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

StashAugustine posted:

Biopic of August Willich please

marketing could have a bait and switch along the lines of "The Republican who almost murdered Karl Marx!"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

vyelkin posted:

he was elected president with a huge majority in 1848 but had to deal with a conservative parliament that stymied attempts at reform, and he was term-limited and couldn't run again so instead he staged a coup and declared himself emperor

You're trying to rehabilitate Louis Bonaparte in C-SPAM?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/lebvant/status/1316432926398189569?s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Weembles posted:

nah he sucked, that poster asked how he couped himself so I explained

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Weembles posted:

this is legitimist only zone

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
better THAN

better THAN you

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's pretty solid. Notably the last 45 minutes or so deals with the immediate postwar period where the Confederate states backslide and basically reinstitute slavery under "apprenticeship" laws, which necessitates military occupation of the South by federal armies. Reconstruction in general doesn't get the time or attention it deserves compared to the war. It's depressing as hell, but Reconstruction's failure is one of the most significant events in the country's history.

if you want to make yourself mad for no reason try reading the negative reviews for the free state of jones most of which call the movie racist for having the main character be a white guy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lately anytime i see nonpartisan political stories like this that try to frame a character as heroic just because hes trying hard with no discussion as what he actually wants to do i just assume hes a secret hitler

the fun part of this is that half the time thats literally what ends up happening albeit not usually intentionally see also harvey dent in the dark knight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i did a search for headlines on this show and apparently parisians are angry because its not real paris but stuff like ratatouille and midnight in paris is

now personally ive never been to paris but ive always felt like the media ive seen that most resembles the real paris is the childrens cartoon miraculous

because thats the only thing ive ever seen thats set in paris that treats paris like a totally normal place where people actually live and isnt constantly jizzing about how awesome paris is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know what it used to look like but I find the current artwork pretty ugly.