Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Performas were awful for a kid who couldn't play his friend's DOS/Win95 computer games

but good for escape velocity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Spaceway 2000 man

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Microsoft Security Response Center has published a pdf report of a security analysis of the CHERI ISA which uses FreeBSD as a basis for a fork called CheriBSD which has been modified to make use of CHERI.
The team estimates that between half and two thirds of all the vulnerabilities that Microsoft have faced in 2019 would have been mitigated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's a really dense read but really cool at the same time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Barnes and noble apparently don't patch things.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/barnes-and-noble-hit-by-cyberattack-that-exposed-customer-data/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So some idiot has been using my gmail address for many years thinking it's his (I have a simple/short gmail addy from the early beta invite-only days), and I got this breach email last night lmao. Now this idiot has gotten....my email? breached. Again. Siiiigh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

So some idiot has been using my gmail address for many years thinking it's his (I have a simple/short gmail addy from the early beta invite-only days), and I got this breach email last night lmao. Now this idiot has gotten....my email? breached. Again. Siiiigh.

Its funny because i too have a short email alias from the beta days that is lastname.firstinitial. Its like a clear indicator that you are old.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mine is firstname.lastinitial

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm a bit out of it today, but how does this actually affect you if it wasn't your account? Presumably you didn't share passwords with him.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm a bit out of it today, but how does this actually affect you if it wasn't your account? Presumably you didn't share passwords with him.
I'm in the same situation and the answer is that I keep getting included in group emails, including the occasional legal letter. The worst one is somebody who signed up for a Victoria's Secret credit card account, and there is no way for their credit card company to figure out who owns the account so they can change the email.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its funny because i too have a short email alias from the beta days that is lastname.firstinitial. Its like a clear indicator that you are old.

Mine is firstname.lastinitial, it rules but it's too full of spam. I own a domain that's lastname.com so I keep meaning to switch to firstname@lastname.com that I have attached to my personal O365 account.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, it doesn't really, just means that my email is out there in yet another breach/dump. Because of how simple/short/old my gmail is, it's already out there in a dozen, but yeah it's not a huge deal. Just another facepalm moment because god I don't understand how this idiot can keep using my email as if it's his.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i have uniball at gmail and get a lot of other people’s instagram accounts, in-store loyalty programs, etc. one time the pen company held some kind of contest in india and for some reason i got dozens of submissions

my friend has idontgetit at gmail and he gets way more and way funnier stuff, including some shockingly sensitive personal finance things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mine is firstname.lastinitial, it rules but it's too full of spam. I own a domain that's lastname.com so I keep meaning to switch to firstname@lastname.com that I have attached to my personal O365 account.

Oh, it doesn't really, just means that my email is out there in yet another breach/dump. Because of how simple/short/old my gmail is, it's already out there in a dozen, but yeah it's not a huge deal. Just another facepalm moment because god I don't understand how this idiot can keep using my email as if it's his.

I have been signing up firstname@gmail.com for everything that asks me for an email for more than a decade. Whoever that person is that works at google, I hope they enjoy it. I would also assume nope@nope.com gets a bunch as well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sickening posted:

I have been signing up firstname@gmail.com for everything that asks me for an email for more than a decade. Whoever that person is that works at google, I hope they enjoy it. I would also assume nope@nope.com gets a bunch as well.

Try mailinator.com instead.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A shocking number of sites block not just mailinator, but also its alternate domains.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if I'll need to change from dtrump@whitehouse.gov to something else.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sickening posted:

they're probably not a googler

try firstname@google.com

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sickening posted:

Hey fellow nope user.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Can someone clarify something for me about Shannon Entropy? If I have a really got RNG and I request 128 random bits, as long as the chance of any possible binary number is equally likely as any other number from those 128 bits it is said to have 128 bits of Entropy?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

when i worked for apple, they were very nonspecific in their training/documentation around how to do software troubleshooting, so it really stood out when they sent out a communication and updated their documentation to say like "When submitting an email address with a form in the process of testing something, you MUST use a nonexistent TLD. We suggest test@test.none"

wonder what kind of stink was raised to result in that!

that wouldn't work for a lot of things these days. all of mailinator's domains being blocked has been common for many years now, but i've occasionally run into things in the last couple years that refuse to accept "anything but the best" (gmail, icloud, etc).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What’s a good starting point for OSINT basics? Or is there a megathread somewhere I’ve missed?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What’s a good starting point for OSINT basics? Or is there a megathread somewhere I’ve missed?

https://github.com/jivoi/awesome-osint ?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Bellingcat has an excellent toolkit and guide as well: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BfLPJpRtyq4RFtHJoNpvWQjmGnyVkfE2HYoICKOGguA/edit
https://www.bellingcat.com/category/resources/how-tos

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That’s the kinda thing I’m looking for, thanks!

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
For those of ya'll working in InfoSec for a specific company (ie not a company that contracts out InfoSec to other businesses), how much access do you all usually have to systems in your environment? Admin level access to everything? View level access? Admin for a few specific things? Or just "I can login to my email and ticketing software?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Revdomezehis posted:

For those of ya'll working in InfoSec for a specific company (ie not a company that contracts out InfoSec to other businesses), how much access do you all usually have to systems in your environment? Admin level access to everything? View level access? Admin for a few specific things? Or just "I can login to my email and ticketing software?"

darn near everything, but with approval checkout workflow

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Revdomezehis posted:

I don't work in them, but have ended up working with them at various companies and the best solution I have seen is read only to everything, but if they want to make a change it's impossible without involving a sysadmin.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Revdomezehis posted:

Technically everything... I have admin privileges in our UIs which are logged extensively. But as a developer I could also just go siphon it all from the database, or deploy code to email it to me, or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No longer boots on the ground security, but I had RW access to security tooling, RO access to our non-prod environment and zero access to PROD.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

darn near everything, but with approval checkout workflow
Same same, or at least read access to everything config-related.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Read to everything config and DBs, RW to tools, and nothing to prod. Security shouldn't have admin to everything imo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

Read to everything config and DBs, RW to tools, and nothing to prod. Security shouldn't have admin to everything imo.

Security shouldn't be adminning anything. Y'all should be identifying issues and setting policies, then kicking down tickets to the admins to make what changes you need(or engage about why the change breaks things)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Security shouldn't be adminning anything. Y'all should be identifying issues and setting policies, then kicking down tickets to the admins to make what changes you need(or engage about why the change breaks things)

Yup

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

to expand, I've got logging/read accounts for siem/signals/puppet/sccm/whatever for regular operational use, and my team has a set of checkout accounts that we can activate when we are asked to respond to an incident

we have admin capability upon invitation and in coordination with the system owners, tldr

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

If the point is to build trustworthy systems "having the power to do whatever you want" is not compatible . We shouldn't just not have admin to everything we shouldn't want it.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Appreciate the answers everyone. For reference I thought before asking that basically this VVV would be the best/most common approach

RFC2324 posted:

To be clear though, in my org the infosec team has "I can login to my email and ticketing software?"-level access. Unsurprisingly this has made identifying issues.... difficult. :engleft:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

apseudonym posted:

If the point is to build trustworthy systems "having the power to do whatever you want" is not compatible . We shouldn't just not have admin to everything we shouldn't want it.

Yes, I agree, I didn't say otherwise?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Revdomezehis posted:

Appreciate the answers everyone. For reference I thought before asking that basically this VVV would be the best/most common approach

To be clear though, in my org the infosec team has "I can login to my email and ticketing software?"-level access. Unsurprisingly this has made identifying issues.... difficult. :engleft:

Yeah, p hard to get insight into the environment to spot issues that way.

Are you SOC or actual secops tho, because most SOCs I have seen are level 1 analysts who only respond to tickets

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Secops, we have a contract with an outside SOC which analyzes logs being forwarded to them and then creates tickets that either they'll resolve or will get sent to us for further investigation. We also deal with setting policy and whatnot. Basically got prompted to ask the question since I was hired on a few months ago because of having sysadmin experience and skills in malware analysis/reverse engineering, as well as knowledge of some of the specialized software used in our line of business. (the company, not infosec in general) I went in thinking it'd be as I described, having basically RO access to most things, RW for security related software/servers, and otherwise working with the actual sysadmins for remediation stuff. Instead we have, as I noted, basically email and ticketing suite level access.

But then recently I got asked to help evaluate a cyber-range vendor that does simulations. Well doing the simulation seemed to assume we had admin level access to everything in the network. After that I figured I needed to check in others in the field as to what the reality was, since again, I had gone in assuming that we'd never have that level of access to everything, but at least be able to admin some stuff.

As it is, basically the only insight into potential issues that I can see we're capable of currently is gleaning vulnerabilities from the tickets created from the logs being forwarded to our SOC vendor, checking for gaps in our company policies, or else findings from our once every other year redteam style audits that we contract out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ah! But what if your info-sec guys are your regular admins because your company cheap AF!? What then?