Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That looks dope as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Too much Greg Miller imo

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

How complete would you describe the EA for this one? Would I be better off waiting for a year or is it relatively feature complete as it stands?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Sheriff Falc posted:

How complete would you describe the EA for this one? Would I be better off waiting for a year or is it relatively feature complete as it stands?

It's nearing the end of the EA cycle, with 1.0 release in 2020. It's rich with content.

Edit: Also the price will go up with 1.0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Too much Greg Miller imo

Any Greg Miller is too much Greg Miller.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sheriff Falc posted:

They've added a number of mechanics since I started playing attention to the game, such as the new Yaoguai race (ascended animals who try to find enlightenment, basically) but the game is effectively feature-complete. Everything is completely playable and you can take a sect from dirt-farming to godhood and never notice it's not quite version 1.0 yet.

The English beta patch is very good, by the way. I've played the game for hours and hours now and I've run into no problems.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Ok, so I want to try out the Cultivator Sim, how do I access the english beta? I only have something called oldworld0.94 in the betas properties tab

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, so I want to try out the Cultivator Sim, how do I access the english beta? I only have something called oldworld0.94 in the betas properties tab
You enter the beta code

quote:

gsqenglishtest
which will unlock it on that device. Then just select the beta as usual, the rest it does automatically. If you want to use it on another one, just enter the code there as well.

You might have to press the flag button in the main menu to switch to English, but I didn't.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Cardiovorax posted:

You enter the beta code

which will unlock it on that device. Then just select the beta as usual, the rest it does automatically. If you want to use it on another one, just enter the code there as well.

You might have to press the flag button in the main menu to switch to English, but I didn't.

got it, thanks

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Partisans 1941 released. It's a Commandos/Desperados type strategy game where you're a Russian resistance group killing Nazis and turncoats. Has an Xcom-lite base management and research system inbetween missions. The demo was good if a little Eurojanky but that's to be expected.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm playing Solitaire Conspiracy. It's ... kinda dumb.

Pluses:
  • New-to-me solitaire game, a variation on Double Rail.
  • Interesting metastrategy where all face cards have an effect: one suit shuffles the pile it's put in, another reorders the pile it's put in from lowest to highest (in the context of the game, this is usually bad). Sometimes I have to figure out where a particular face card will do the least damage, because I have to move it to get to another card but I don't like its effect.

Minuses:
  • The plot is pasteded on yay. If you hover over the face cards, they have personalities and a portrait of each "team member" they represent. Each challenge in the campaign has three paragraphs about the clever spy operation you are supposedly beginning. These have no effect on the gameplay, and as flavor text they're pretty dull.
  • Oh, lord, the live-action narrator is irritating. He gives these speeches about how important you, the spymaster, are, and the personalities of each new "team" (read: suit with metabehavior) you've unlocked, and says and does things that suggest that Actually He Is Eeeeevil. Extremely heavy-handed, and no humor to liven it up. Furthermore, he (Greg Miller) can't act.

I don't mind playing it, because I like solitaire games and this one is quite challenging. But the addons make it less fun, not more.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm playing Solitaire Conspiracy. It's ... kinda dumb.

I don't mind playing it, because I like solitaire games and this one is quite challenging. But the addons make it less fun, not more.

Yeah, I refunded it after about an hour. The story stuff wasn't interesting, and the solitaire seemed pretty easy-- I'm admittedly a FreeCell wiz, so your mileage may vary. Wasn't too keen on his John Wick game, either.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Vigil: The Longest Night is out as of today! I’m pretty psyched, but I loved Salt & Sanctuary so.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

burial posted:

Vigil: The Longest Night is out as of today! I’m pretty psyched, but I loved Salt & Sanctuary so.

Man, I loved Salt&Sanctuary too, but the controls in Vigil feel so sloppy and unresponsive that I'm just kind of resenting it while I play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1316771062349086721

itry
Aug 23, 2019

https://store.steampowered.com/app/717560/Lucifer_Within_Us/ posted:

Real mystery-solving.
No hidden plot twists, no QTEs, no random puzzles or mini-games, just you and the information. In all 3 cases, don’t just act like a detective -- BE a detective. Finding the murderer will require true understanding of the case, not just following the story.

Sounds like it might be interesting.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I liked the demo a lot although I got stuck for a LONG time because I didn't realize you could return to the suspects' "inner vaults" or whatever you call it more than once although I am willing to acknowledge I may have been dumb and missed something.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Merrill Grinch posted:

Man, I loved Salt&Sanctuary too, but the controls in Vigil feel so sloppy and unresponsive that I'm just kind of resenting it while I play.

Yeah, I can’t tell if it’s that or I haven’t quite learned the parry-timings or both.

It really bothers me that those armored thwack-y dudes you find near the very beginning don’t pursue you in any way too. I feel like they want to but cannot for unknown reasons.

That said, it’s very pretty and I very much want to take a crack at fixing the dialogue and item descriptions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

I liked the demo a lot although I got stuck for a LONG time because I didn't realize you could return to the suspects' "inner vaults" or whatever you call it more than once although I am willing to acknowledge I may have been dumb and missed something.
the first time you enter one, the game mentions that you've only got access to the outer area of it for now. so that was the nudge you missed

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

apparently Aquanox Deep Descent will be out today :O

I hope it will be as good as the screenshots look. After so many fumbled remakes of classics, like Descent or System Shock it would be sad if this fails again.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/254370/Aquanox_Deep_Descent/

/meh early reviews are not very favorite

haldolium fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 16, 2020

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

StrixNebulosa posted:

LUCIFER WITHIN US

I bought this and played the first "mission" last night. I really like it! It's got a really neat investigation mechanic where you have to actually think about people's statements, confront them with contradictory evidence, and deduce it all out yourself.

You can brute force it if you need to (no penalty for being wrong) but it feels good to look at the evidence, look at the testimonies, and puzzle it out.

I hear it's short, which is a shame, but I think it's really clever and I like the world and the artstyle. I wonder if it will be like Disco Elysium where it influences genre mechanics moving forward... Obviously you can't tell these things one Day 2 but I'd love to see other teams iterate on these mechanics. I love poo poo like this.

(if you want existing game comparisons, it reminds me a little of like ELSINORE with a dash of PARADISE KILLER (minus the exploration))

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 16, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

nthing recommendations for Lucifer Within Us. The last few years have been great for fans of Detective Games and this one still manages to feel really novel and special. The setting is neat, the mechanics are a blast, it can be a little frustrating sometimes when you pick some evidence that you think really aught to crack things open and the game doesn't react, its a bit of a shame that it's not quite as freeform as it feels like it could be, and the way how in-setting Demons effect characters and their psychological afflictions can make solutions to the crimes come out of nowhere, but those are relatively minor quibbles, and once you get into the world a little more and learn to expect it a little the second issue stops being as big of a deal. I've played basically all of the recent wave of great detective games and I'd say this is one of the best.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

haldolium posted:

/meh early reviews are not very favorite

welp, seems to be even worse with initial review score reaching mostly negative. Thats just too bad

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a eurojank game though so are the reviews talking about the gameplay actually being bad or is it like "here's a list of specific technical issues that are unacceptable on my sick rig so I must poo poo post."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haldolium posted:

After so many fumbled remakes of classics, like Descent

play Overload

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

al-azad posted:

It's a eurojank game though so are the reviews talking about the gameplay actually being bad or is it like "here's a list of specific technical issues that are unacceptable on my sick rig so I must poo poo post."

Skimming the reviews, it looks like a bit of both. The ratings have improved to mixed, and that tracks with how niche games tend to be received.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I've been playing Space Crew on my Switch. Here's a little info about it, in case anyone else is thinking to try it out.

You command a little spaceship and its crew which operates out of a space station near Earth. The solar system is being overrun by aliens, which will attack you frequently as you perform your various missions. You'll be spending a lot of time in combat.

Your crew members will perform different functions depending on where you put them, or what they're holding. If you put them in a gunner's seat, they'll shoot at alien ships. If you make them pick up a fire extinguisher, they'll put out any fires near them.

The crew members also gain more options as they level up in their jobs, such as the ability to activate a cloaking device from the security chair. Each crew member starts with one job, and can multiclass once they hit level six. These skills give you some decisions to make during combat, since the more powerful skills have substantial cooldowns.

When you complete missions, scan alien garbage, kill bounties, or pick up useful items floating around in space, you'll get money and research. Research unlocks new spaceship parts and gear for your crew, and you use money to buy it when it's unlocked. The customization seems a little shallow. For example, the engines that I've unlocked so far come in three flavors: more armor, more evasion, or less radiation leakage (your crew doesn't like radiation). It's nice to have the choice, but none of the choices really change how the game plays.

The controls are pretty awkward. I tend to wind up cancelling my defensive flying, and setting a course for Uranus when I only wanted to tell my minions to shoot the alien vessel that's trying to put a boarding party in my hold. I frequently deselect a crew member when I'm trying to get them to do something.

The game isn't bad. I've had some fun. I've had plenty of tense moments and close calls, although a lot of those wouldn't have happened if I had a better mastery of the controls. Unfortunately, it's starting to feel kinda repetitive and grindy. I can't really recommend it based on my experience so far.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Took me an hour and a half to beat Lucifer Within Us, I didn't catch every contradiction but once you suss out enough details in a case you can steamroll to its end pretty hard once identify the likely chain of events. Still pretty fun, although I wish there was more of it with only 3 cases total.

I also made sure to purge the world of the devil's grass, lest it be allowed to sully this pure world.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I been playing Eternal Return lately which just enter EA. Its plays like a moba while not being a moba and as someone who could never get into that genre or has any interest in battle royale games this has been holding my interest weirdly enough. It has a lot of character to it and I have been having fun playing the peace loving Hart who defeats her opponents by playing licks off her guitar at them.

Instead of an item shop it uses a crafting system. You can make plans outside of matches that give you a guide on where to go on the map for materials and tells you when to move on. You can also just import other player's plans. It gives it an interesting loop and I find it more engaging then most crafting systems.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 17, 2020

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

thecluckmeme posted:

Took me an hour and a half to beat Lucifer Within Us, I didn't catch every contradiction but once you suss out enough details in a case you can steamroll to its end pretty hard once identify the likely chain of events. Still pretty fun, although I wish there was more of it with only 3 cases total.

I also made sure to purge the world of the devil's grass, lest it be allowed to sully this pure world.

Honestly, the game feels like a demo or a prologue of a longer game.
The game itself is ok, but my playtime was under an hour. Price is a little steep for what amounts to the intro case of a Phoenix Wright game amount of content.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

al-azad posted:

Partisans 1941 released. It's a Commandos/Desperados type strategy game where you're a Russian resistance group killing Nazis and turncoats. Has an Xcom-lite base management and research system inbetween missions. The demo was good if a little Eurojanky but that's to be expected.

This is really good. There definitely is a lot of jank, but the slow-mo mode covers a lot of those faults and when you do manage to pull off perfectly timed take-downs of half a dozen Nazi sentries it feels really good. And when you gently caress up and alert everyone the combat mechanics are decent enough you won't be immediately F9ing. I'd recommend putting Russian VA on with English subtitles though because the English VA is just a little bit poo poo. It's also a nice change of pace from most games set on the eastern front in that your Soviet partisans are actually invested in killing fascists and winning the war.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 19, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not quite the same as the intricate stealth puzzles of shadow tactics and such, but it's okay

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I've been playing Space Crew on my Switch. Here's a little info about it, in case anyone else is thinking to try it out.

You command a little spaceship and its crew which operates out of a space station near Earth. The solar system is being overrun by aliens, which will attack you frequently as you perform your various missions. You'll be spending a lot of time in combat.

Your crew members will perform different functions depending on where you put them, or what they're holding. If you put them in a gunner's seat, they'll shoot at alien ships. If you make them pick up a fire extinguisher, they'll put out any fires near them.

The crew members also gain more options as they level up in their jobs, such as the ability to activate a cloaking device from the security chair. Each crew member starts with one job, and can multiclass once they hit level six. These skills give you some decisions to make during combat, since the more powerful skills have substantial cooldowns.

When you complete missions, scan alien garbage, kill bounties, or pick up useful items floating around in space, you'll get money and research. Research unlocks new spaceship parts and gear for your crew, and you use money to buy it when it's unlocked. The customization seems a little shallow. For example, the engines that I've unlocked so far come in three flavors: more armor, more evasion, or less radiation leakage (your crew doesn't like radiation). It's nice to have the choice, but none of the choices really change how the game plays.

The controls are pretty awkward. I tend to wind up cancelling my defensive flying, and setting a course for Uranus when I only wanted to tell my minions to shoot the alien vessel that's trying to put a boarding party in my hold. I frequently deselect a crew member when I'm trying to get them to do something.

The game isn't bad. I've had some fun. I've had plenty of tense moments and close calls, although a lot of those wouldn't have happened if I had a better mastery of the controls. Unfortunately, it's starting to feel kinda repetitive and grindy. I can't really recommend it based on my experience so far.

Do you think the controls are something that'd be better on PC or it's just inherently bad?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Tagichatn posted:

Do you think the controls are something that'd be better on PC or it's just inherently bad?

Mouse controls with keyboard shortcuts should be fine.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I put a bunch of time in Bomber Crew, so I nabbed Space Crew on PC. It somehow lost some of the charm of Bomber Crew and I can't quite put my finger on why. I haven't died yet, difficulty seems toned down due to not having to manually reload turrets so I have more time to manage the defensive skills. It's just insanely predicable - use warp gate, kill 1-3 waves of aliens, repeat until you get to objective, defeat more enemies, do the same on return. If it'd cost any more I'd probably have returned it, but for the price it's fun enough to fire up and run a few sorties.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The developers behind Blaseball have released a teaser for their actual video game. It looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot0ltLWI-Ys

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The developers behind Blaseball have released a teaser for their actual video game. It looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot0ltLWI-Ys
oh they made where cards fall? that game's alright, it was on apple arcade last year

it's absolutely NOTHING like blaseball though lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

They've been quite up-front that blaseball is their weird side project that somehow took off.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

play Overload

Already did, it's extremely Descent and good. Maybe a wrong example or just not thought through, but it feels like quite a few of high level remakes (lates I remeber would be that terrible "Gothic" demo) fail a lot. Aquanox per se wasn't the greatest game to begin with but rather unique in genre and setting and (possibly graphics) created a pretty high level of awareness

Manifold Garden is now available

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256803952/movie480_vp9.webm

also Shakedown: Hawaii

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256790603/movie480_vp9.webm

wow Manifold Garden is already worth everything just for the screenshot mode and technical consideration instead of beeing My First Unity game (with shading!). Very well build game, very beautiful. Bit weird, but not as much of a brainfuckery as others.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

I been playing Eternal Return lately which just enter EA. Its plays like a moba while not being a moba and as someone who could never get into that genre or has any interest in battle royale games this has been holding my interest weirdly enough. It has a lot of character to it and I have been having fun playing the peace loving Hart who defeats her opponents by playing licks off her guitar at them.

Instead of an item shop it uses a crafting system. You can make plans outside of matches that give you a guide on where to go on the map for materials and tells you when to move on. You can also just import other player's plans. It gives it an interesting loop and I find it more engaging then most crafting systems.
This is pretty fun, thanks for the tip. I'll probably drop it soonish because screw playing this kind of thing PvP but the core loop is pretty fresh. Kind of embarrassing how much of the characters is copied from other mobas though.