Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't have a twitter and I know touching the poop is verboten, but I legit really want to talk to these people and ask them about it. Like I'm genuinely super curious what anyone, even a complete idiot, could find appealing about this. I said it before and I'll say it again: this is the opposite of storytelling.

Like I could see why some people might have enjoyed Deegan, especially early on. I think it was always objectively terrible and even in the early aughts you could do better, but I can still understand how and why it had an audience. I literally cannot begin to conceptualize how anyone could unironically and sincerely enjoy whatever the gently caress we've been doing this... however long its been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sunk cost fallacy.

They've bought into the image of Mookie being an incredible storyteller, so they can't admit for even a moment that he's actually not or it will make them wrong.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That works for why people stuck with DD to the end, but I don't think it works for Legacy. It's easy enough for people to just write it off as 'Mookie had it once, but now that he's older he's no longer got it and it's just not as good.' Or 'Snout isn't as fun and nuanced a character as Dominic Deegan was!' or anything. Like if Legacy had picked up right away, I'd kind of see that, but it's been like what, the better part of a decade? It's easy enough even for sunk cost fallacy people to give themselves an out and say Legacy is awful while still pretending Deegan Prime was something other than what it was.

Plus I mean, again, Dominic Deegan was a stupid story told poorly, but it was still a story. This is un-art.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Don't forget the convention scene.

Mookie is pseudo-famous and has been giving good-sounding advice for the better part of a decade. He hooks people into checking things out and then they stay because "this has to be building up to something." He gives the impression that he's planning things out and it's only obvious that he's not to people who have read his old blog posts or know enough about Dominic Deegan to understand that the surface is all there is.

He's presenting the outward appearance of a series of mysteries and I can see how people who have no experience with his method might see a lake where there's only heat shimmer.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I don't have a twitter and I know touching the poop is verboten, but I legit really want to talk to these people and ask them about it. Like I'm genuinely super curious what anyone, even a complete idiot, could find appealing about this. I said it before and I'll say it again: this is the opposite of storytelling.

Like I could see why some people might have enjoyed Deegan, especially early on. I think it was always objectively terrible and even in the early aughts you could do better, but I can still understand how and why it had an audience. I literally cannot begin to conceptualize how anyone could unironically and sincerely enjoy whatever the gently caress we've been doing this... however long its been.

I mean, I enjoy Dominic Deegan. Not for any of the reasons Terraciano wants me to, of course. It's fascinating on how it keeps lowering the bar, and how easy it is to see all the ways it could have been good and how he manages to keep avoiding doing any of them. It's hilarious how you can follow it, try to predict what the dumbest outcome will be, and he somehow manages to figure out how to do something nobody expected that is even worse. How he ends up creating compelling characters by accident, then tries to make the audience despise them for the traits that make them interesting. It takes a strange talent of its own to be so consistently bad.

Me and my friends have gotten hours of enjoyment picking the thing apart and laughing at how it fails to be anything it wants to be; why wouldn't I like Dominic Deegan? I'd thank the guy for making it if I ever met him, with utter sincerity.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Part of it has to be that Mookie will retweet literally any praise he gets.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Sorry, it was Luna who bit Helaxia's lips off. When she was holding Miranda's staff, I couldn't tell them apart, which is a testament to how Mookie can't draw, and when the art is crushed into a half inch slice by a wall of text and you can't see peoples' clothes or hair they bleed together.

DamnitGannet posted:

So... everyone is just cool with the fact that Melna will punch people in the face if they talk about how much they love their boyfriends? Like.. thats just a character quirk of hers that everyone tolerates? Cool, cool.

I know thats like, the least offensive thing about anything we've seen so far but drat, she was ready to cave Luna's face in.
You've been reading about Luna for several hundred comics. Tell me you wouldn't want to smash her face in if she started suppurating about how great and awesome and huge-dicked Dominic is literally the first time she met you.

TheHan posted:

If Mookie's already been doing dream realm adventures with Dominic, why the hell is the Legacy wasting time with pages like this.

These Wednesday pages man...they're starting to get to me. Did we really need a whole panel dedicated to showing us Snout ALSO looked left? I think we could've filled in the blanks. And we still gotta do some anime poo poo with the corpse wife on Friday, what's he gonna chew her food for her too?
I think he said this explicitly in the blog on the original version of the Deegan classic site, but he will draw the panels as he goes and doesn't do roughs/thumbnails/storyboards, so once he has started drawing that panel of Snout looking in the other direction, he doesn't go back and edit after thinking "Having him look in one direction is probably enough.

The Little Death posted:

Look at the perspective on that hand. If he starts to teach her how to eat that fruit, and she's going to be some sort of Lilu blank slate character, Mookie will officially be the largest hack in the universe.
Oh, I assumed that Mookie unironically following the stations of born sexy yesterday was a given with Rotten River Tam here. Yeah that's my prediction for Friday or whenever Mookie can move his bowels and produce another comic.

Agent Rush posted:

Wait, what? Apparently, I've missed bigger problems with Dominic Deegan than I thought.
That hasn't happened yet. It comes during the mindbreak arc, so she has to do sex work and give the money to Dominic or he will literally kill her. So standard Mookie.

Joe Slowboat posted:

We should keep a running tally of correct Mookie-prediction for The Legacy, this is the second time we've had a hideously correct guess about Corpse Mom Girlfriend.

In this way will we determine the new ruler of the thread.
That sounds like a fun game. I think that in the next comic, red vines will have teleported back to the ground so Mookie doesn't have to show her climbing down that tree since it is rankly impossible, there will be no trace of this creepy puppeteer mouth looking-rear end fruit, they will look at each other for a panel after she says something Snout can't hear and she will kiss Snout's mouth.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

No one who eats enough paint to think this is good is going to be capable of explaining their thought process in enough detail to provide you with a satisfying answer, so you're not missing out on anything by not touching the poop in this way. Mookie's eerily sterile twitter has blandly generic comments of praise from who are presumably acquaintances and family members of him saying "oh great an update" or "haha that snout" offering polite but nonspecific praise like a mom on a sitcom when her kids give her black toast and raw eggs on a tray in bed for mother's day. I will continue to maintain no one is unironically reading this for enjoyment aside from Mookie himself, and that anyone paying into Mookie's Patreon simply forgot to turn it off or has been taken from us by the plague.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Mookie's twitter is hecking dead. He gets like, 20 notes at most on his art posts last time I checked, which, by twitter standards, is strictly friends-and-family level.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm sure there's some people out there that just flat-out don't know better and find the attempt to write a dialogueless comic fascinating, accepting every time the rule gets broken as just a limitation of the medium. It's something that would come from ignorance, not stupidity.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

That sounds like a fun game. I think that in the next comic, red vines will have teleported back to the ground so Mookie doesn't have to show her climbing down that tree since it is rankly impossible, there will be no trace of this creepy puppeteer mouth looking-rear end fruit, they will look at each other for a panel after she says something Snout can't hear and she will kiss Snout's mouth.

Too much action. Next Friday will be several panels of Corpse Mom yelling at Snout, because we really need to clarify that she doesn't know Snout is deaf because she can't read, have you guys gotten that part yet? The final panel will be Snout smiling and biting into the fruit. A similar story to this will pan out over the next two weeks (Corpse Mom will yell at Snout to try to warn him of a dangerous thing, then punch him when he doesn't react), culminating in a Friday diary update where Snout writes "I don't think my new friend understands that I'm deaf."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’m going to predict that soon, Corpse Mom will display some kind of weird magical power. She will have no control over it and need Snout to figure it out and tell her how to use it. Possibly via pantomime.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

Too much action. Next Friday will be several panels of Corpse Mom yelling at Snout, because we really need to clarify that she doesn't know Snout is deaf because she can't read, have you guys gotten that part yet? The final panel will be Snout smiling and biting into the fruit. A similar story to this will pan out over the next two weeks (Corpse Mom will yell at Snout to try to warn him of a dangerous thing, then punch him when he doesn't react), culminating in a Friday diary update where Snout writes "I don't think my new friend understands that I'm deaf."

You make an excellent point.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I’m going to predict that soon, Corpse Mom will display some kind of weird magical power. She will have no control over it and need Snout to figure it out and tell her how to use it. Possibly via pantomime.
This is a good guess as well. You two are probably both right and Friday's strip will be a combination of both of these ideas: Snout will try to eat the fruit, and Naked Came the Stranger will suddenly manifest some kind of psionic telekinesis power to remotely slap the fruit out of his hand and will express to him somehow that it is poisonous.

Since The Little Death theorized we're going down the lucky star/5th element/stranger things/elfen lied/etc route, this is one of the first ions of playing that trope completely straight: our "No! BOOM!" moment:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Since The Little Death theorized we're going down the lucky star/5th element/stranger things/elfen lied/etc route, this is one of the first ions of playing that trope completely straight: our "No! BOOM!" moment:

Huh, I guess my anime club should've kept showing that show...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm going for the long, long bet. When Snout re-encounters Evil Ink Witch and Evil Bald Guy (years from now), he'll do his dumb dog routine and get slapped around some more by the bald guy. Then, because Snout's grating stupidity and bland kindness made the Corpse Wife go all doki doki for him, she'll rage out and murder the bald guy in the most needlessly gory way possible. That'll be the culmination of the entire Evil Ink Witch and Evil Bald Guy arc.

Side bet, she also kills the Evil Ink Witch in a blatantly sexual way. Let's say...strangled by the red vines.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

I'm going for the long, long bet. When Snout re-encounters Evil Ink Witch and Evil Bald Guy (years from now), he'll do his dumb dog routine and get slapped around some more by the bald guy. Then, because Snout's grating stupidity and bland kindness made the Corpse Wife go all doki doki for him, she'll rage out and murder the bald guy in the most needlessly gory way possible. That'll be the culmination of the entire Evil Ink Witch and Evil Bald Guy arc.

Side bet, she also kills the Evil Ink Witch in a blatantly sexual way. Let's say...strangled by the red vines.

The Silent Hill movie villain's death but with vines is my guess. lovely gore and gross sexual murder on the big screen!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Kavak posted:

Huh, I guess my anime club should've kept showing that show...

Sorry, I meant "outlaw star"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is that... Goatse fruit? No, wait, no ring.

Rip open the pussy fruit for your corpse wife.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Please stop

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

why

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
He's going to gently caress that baby adult isn't he :cry: And Mookie will defend it

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Mookie: officially the biggest hack in the universe. I know I'm not the only one who expected, but him following this trope, that was tired when Joss Whedon did it 20 years ago, and making her literally naked instead of just suggestively dressed, is awful.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...ah poo poo she's not his wife or his mom, she's his always-naked daughter figure huh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

why not all three!

:barf:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Hostile V posted:

...ah poo poo she's not his wife or his mom, she's his always-naked daughter figure huh.

Mookie's this kind of misogynist: She's all three.

Compare Luna, who is also all three! She's Dominic's mom in that she's the gently chiding, nurturing domestic force that keeps his house and does chores. Luna's also his daughter, because everything about her is childlike and naive and, like a clever child, needs to be instructed and built up (and she owes it all to him, she was nothing without him - Dominic metaphorically raised her from her state of total despair). And she's literally his wife, or at least at this point his permanent girlfriend.

If anything, Naked Wife Daughter is more honest.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie continues to indulge his gory sex fetishes more and more. Not surprising, since he let that slip back into the Legacy after promising it wouldn't happen.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The predictions failed, we all lose.

It's so obvious in hindsight. Snout's girlfriend can't possibly be smarter than him, and since Snout is a complete moron, she literally can't survive without him.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 15, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Joe Slowboat posted:

Cloacamazing! posted:

The predictions failed, we all lose.

It's so obvious in hindsight. Snout's girlfriend can't possibly be smarter than him, and since Snout is a complete moron, she literally can't survive without him.

Mine is still possible, and I'm holding out hope. No way she's just a weird naked baby lady, she's gonna have some weird power, and as we've seen she's completely unable to do poo poo.
And there was some pantomime!

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I don't know how to make a prediction because none of what happens has any real sense of drama or story logic.

It's like watching someone slowly remember a dream. GPT-3 would probably write something more cohesive and entertaining.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's hard to imagine Mookie has any real story in mind, this seems to be about whatever topic his brain has glommed onto at this very moment.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
If the comic started like 5 pages ago, this would be a decent start. Strange deaf creature finds confused frankenstein, both nonverbal and outsiders trying to survive? Sure, ok! Not a bad premise!

BUT YOU CANT START OVER LIKE NOTHING ELSE CAME BEFORE THIS MOOKIE WE ALL SAW IT

You spent over a year with sleeprape witch and the mystery of "I found a page talking about a guy and something happened to him and now my entire purpose in life is finding out what happened to him"

a year into your story, it shouldn't feel like an entirely different story is just starting

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

A year in, and the only thing we know about the titular Legacy so far is that it’s so vague as to be useless for interpreting it as-is, and that it kind of sounds like some kind of sex cult.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

what the gently caress

what the gently caress????

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Said student starts selling racy photos of herself in skimpy outfits to raise money. She basically starts a patreon/onlyfans to raise money for the vacation of the teacher that constantly slutshames her.

I read through the old mock thread, and was even in one of the first drinking streams. I'm not sure how to feel about not remembering this at all.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I really, truly hate how that fruit looks

Just every conceivable level

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

This update is worse than I was expecting. How does he not realize he's drawn goatse.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Invisible Clergy posted:

This update is worse than I was expecting. How does he not realize he's drawn goatse.
Given an infinite amount of Mookies with an infinite amount of tablets and tracing paper, eventually one will draw goatse.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The legendary Cronenberry

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Can I get a grape, hold the R?"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Better than his usual, holding the G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Wasn't there already a comic that established that it's relatively easy to make/scavenge clothing in the Wild Edge? Like there are trees that grow leather leaves or something? Snout could have at least tried to get something for Corpse Bride to wear (why do none of the female character have names?) to protect her from the elements.