Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I like Disco, hate Picard, love LDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBSgHwL4Ats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I haven't seen any of the newer Trek shows. Of the three, Lower Decks is the one I'm probably most inclined to give a try, because it seems to have some good ideas; a bit like Futurama except in the Star Trek universe? I'm not particularly interested in Picard or especially Disco at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I haven't seen any of the newer Trek shows. Of the three, Lower Decks is the one I'm probably most inclined to give a try, because it seems to have some good ideas; a bit like Futurama except in the Star Trek universe? I'm not particularly interested in Picard or especially Disco at all.
Lower Decks is made by a big TNG fan. It does have some Futurama influence but it’s more modern than that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lower Decks is made by a big TNG fan. It does have some Futurama influence but it’s more modern than that.

Cool! Is it only available on All Access? I'd be interested in checking it out but I really don't have the money for a streaming subscription at the moment.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
I must be Trek Jesus then.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Cool! Is it only available on All Access? I'd be interested in checking it out but I really don't have the money for a streaming subscription at the moment.

In the US, right now, yes.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

*SG-1 emerges, ejecting spent cartridges from their guns*

Samantha Carter: Good work, Barclay. I knew you were the one to contact.
Barclay: Anything to save the past, Samantha.

*they share a deep, intimate kiss. O'Neill nods, defeated yet approving*

Teal'c: *tilts head* indeed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Epicurius posted:

In the US, right now, yes.

This implies there are plans to switch platforms at some point?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This implies there are plans to switch platforms at some point?

No, just that it will likely go on sale on digital platforms at some point for purchase. It's firmly on CBS All Access (to be renamed Paramount+ next year). It won't be changing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I finally watched all of the Lower Decks. I am of the opinion of everyone else that said it starts out a bit slow but is the best of the streaming Star Trek shows so far. I enjoyed Discovery when I first watched but liked it a bit less when I rewatched earlier this year. Really wish they were a bit more episodic to make rewatching random episodes a better experience.

I drank a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine with my roommate yesterday in honor of voting and hopefully getting a new President. I'm not a big enough wine buff to do a real review, I typically drink $10-20 win bottles from the grocery store. I enjoyed it more than those. Wine snobs might be a bit disappointed but half the fun is the bottle. If you get one, consider saving the cork/being careful uncorking the bottle. There's a bunch of Klingon text on it which surprised me.

bull3964 posted:

No, just that it will likely go on sale on digital platforms at some point for purchase. It's firmly on CBS All Access (to be renamed Paramount+ next year). It won't be changing.

Maybe, so far Picard has been on sale on bluray/dvd but they haven't put it up on any digital shops like Disco S1 or S2. Several streaming companies have started trending towards not putting their exclusives on sale on other sites within the last few months.

Sir Lemming posted:

To be clear, the TNG crossover with Cardassians invading the station was the idea for the season 1 finale.

Time-wise it would've made sense, as both shows were on the air and they did a handful of crossovers during that season already. But storyline-wise it would've really hurt the show.

This makes more sense. I was joking about them stealing the finale like they did in Enterprise. It'd be hilarious to keep doing that for every series just for the fan reactions and increasingly larger Riker.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I drank a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine with my roommate yesterday in honor of voting and hopefully getting a new President

*Uncontrollable snickering*

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching the DS9 episode Babel. You know, the one about a virus spreading through the station so they close all the businesses and quarantine except the ‘essential’ ones and it still spreads. Good ep.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Spacebump posted:

I finally watched all of the Lower Decks. I am of the opinion of everyone else that said it starts out a bit slow but is the best of the streaming Star Trek shows so far. I enjoyed Discovery when I first watched but liked it a bit less when I rewatched earlier this year. Really wish they were a bit more episodic to make rewatching random episodes a better experience.

I was there were a few filler episodes that featured the secondary cast. I wanna see the ops, helm, tactical, and comms officers do stuff. It's Owo, Detmer, Rhys, and idk the comms dude's name.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like Burnham fine, but my main hope for this season is that they lean into an ensemble like past shows and actually give the audience a reason to care about crew members other than Michael and Saru. Detmer and Owo are the only bridge crew who’ve been given even a hint of personality and I can’t even name the two other guys. It’s a big cast though, so I’m not holding my breath.

This season alone we have:
Burnham
Saru
Georgiou
Book
Stamets
Culber
Tilly
Reno
Detmer
Owo
CMO (Pollard iirc?)
Comms guy
Other guy
Barzan lady
Human played by Airiam’s actress

I feel like I’m missing someone. That’s too many people, just condense some of them. Just toss the last four on that list and send Georgiou to the dumb S31 show already.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's still wild how little of a deal Alternate Reality Space Hitler is in Discovery. Is she going to have a role in rebuilding the Federation?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Spacebump posted:

This makes more sense. I was joking about them stealing the finale like they did in Enterprise. It'd be hilarious to keep doing that for every series just for the fan reactions and increasingly larger Riker.

They should do a Star Trek Titan series instead of a Section 31 series.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nullsmack posted:

They should do a Star Trek Titan series instead of a Section 31 series.

Well...they said the Boimler isn't going right back to the Cerritos for Season 2 of The Lower Decks and is going to stick around on the Titan for at least a bit.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I was hoping for more of a The Generation After Next vibe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Frakes is just a bit too old for that now I think.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Have been continuing my readthrough of 1987 SF-LOVERS mailing list.

The first 5 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation have aired, lots of SFL people picked up on the most obvious recycled elements from earlier Trek films and episodes. SFL people weren't sure on most of the main TNG cast until episode 4, then calmed down mostly. Q was seen as a one-off Trelane recycle until he reappeared, Troi haters started calling her BETAMAX, and just about everyone is theory-crafting ways to age-up Wesley Crusher/kill Wesley Crusher/transfer Wesley Crusher to another spaceship so they will stop having to see Wesley Crusher in TNG.

Also, this open letter to Gene Roddenberry was infamous enough that a SFL person posted it to the SF-LOVERS mailing list with zero comment, along with the canned response from Gene Roddenberry's personal assistant Susan Sackett.

------------------------------
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 87 11:56:59 EST
Subject: The letter...

Linda Peterson

Mr. Gene Roddenberry
"Star Trek"
ABC

Dear Sir:

Although I am not a confirmed "Trekie", I looked forward to the new Star Trek television series.
My overwhelming disappointment caused me to write this letter.

My concerns: Do you really believe in white male supremacy?
Surely the future will be more equitable - such as...

An "Asian type" captain (we are outnumbered now by Asian
peoples). Also, baldness in the future? I doubt it.

Jonathan Frakes just does not have the face of a strong,
aggressive "Number One" - perhaps a Latino, or a Jimmy
Smits type.

Do you really see "Miss Emotion" going into battle in a
mini-skirt?! The costumes in general lack imagination.

Mr. Data looks like PeeWee Herman with his off-white skin
and slicked back hair. All the hairstyles seem to some
from yuppie America.

Do we really need another TV show with the young wiz-kid,
who will obviously save the day. Heck, why not add Lassie
to the cast.

Yes, the show did have some strong points. The storyline fit the
mold. The Klingon and "Blind" crew member are interesting. Surely
the show will progress. Maybe there will be an accident and some of
the crew will have to be replaced. I won't change the channel yet.

Thanks for listenning.

Sincerely,
/s/ Linda Peterson
10/5/87

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

"the face of a strong, aggressive "Number One" - perhaps a Latino, or a Jimmy Smits type.

Was Linda Peterson a cop?

quote:

Also, baldness in the future? I doubt it.

It was weird how obsessed people seemed with baldness back then. It was such a common thing for media to be a safe punching-bag nobody could envision a future where someone would just deal with being bald because who gives a poo poo.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

lol “maybe the crew will die and get replaced”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Discovery was officially renewed for Season 4

Veotax
May 16, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

But all those Youtubers who totally aren't nazis keep telling me that it's a massive failure and is being cancelled!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

baldness in the future? I doubt it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
New thread title

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Veotax posted:

But all those Youtubers who totally aren't nazis keep telling me that it's a massive failure and is being cancelled!

Now they can grift for another year about how Discovery will totally be cancelled THIS time around, just you wait, and give me more of your money while you wait so I can keep telling you how badly it's going to get cancelled.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

quantumfoam posted:

The skirt costume looked way better than that stupid lavender cleavage jumpsuit ultimately ended up in.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disco is going to get renewed for like 15 seasons and will reveal by the end of it that not only was the Federation never good it was literally powered by turbo-Hitlers the entire time because nothing will ever get better with humanity and all hope is a lie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Was Linda Peterson a cop?

Somebody find her nowadays so we can get her hot takes on DISCO. :allears:

Also, I too am not a confirmed "Trekie".

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ST:ENT: I don't recall what episode #/name it was, but I guess it wouldn't be a trek series without there being an episode with a horny disease/virus. (Well, technically totally not that because it was only a thing that triggered the pon'farr, or however it's spelt.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
When I watch WoK at the end it plays to me like they just fired Spock into space and he just happened to land on Genesis but in III they say Kirk knew he was left on Genesis. Is that a retcon or are you supposed to feel at the end of Khan like they just shot him right at Genesis?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If anyone has the DS9 DVDs and wants to spend the effort, someone's written a guide with scripts to achieve the best upscale they could get:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/314653-remastering-deep-space-nine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsi3qxOQlc

I know we're not going to get a proper HD remaster but honestly I wish CBS would just do a high-quality upscale off the masters they do have and put it on Netflix/Bluray. Or hell, just run this guy's scripts on the DVD and put it on Netflix.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Unmature posted:

When I watch WoK at the end it plays to me like they just fired Spock into space and he just happened to land on Genesis but in III they say Kirk knew he was left on Genesis. Is that a retcon or are you supposed to feel at the end of Khan like they just shot him right at Genesis?

I think that they had a pretty darn good idea where they were shooting his torpedo coffin. However, they may have intended for it to burn up in the Genesis atmosphere. Based on how I remember the reactions, they seemed kind of surprised that it landed so intact. But it's been ages since I watched ST III.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

quantumfoam posted:

Have been continuing my readthrough of 1987 SF-LOVERS mailing list.

The first 5 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation have aired, lots of SFL people picked up on the most obvious recycled elements from earlier Trek films and episodes. SFL people weren't sure on most of the main TNG cast until episode 4, then calmed down mostly. Q was seen as a one-off Trelane recycle until he reappeared, Troi haters started calling her BETAMAX, and just about everyone is theory-crafting ways to age-up Wesley Crusher/kill Wesley Crusher/transfer Wesley Crusher to another spaceship so they will stop having to see Wesley Crusher in TNG.

Also, this open letter to Gene Roddenberry was infamous enough that a SFL person posted it to the SF-LOVERS mailing list with zero comment, along with the canned response from Gene Roddenberry's personal assistant Susan Sackett.

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 87 11:56:59 EST
Subject: The letter...

Linda Peterson

Mr. Gene Roddenberry
"Star Trek"
ABC

Dear Sir:

Although I am not a confirmed "Trekie", I looked forward to the new Star Trek television series.
My overwhelming disappointment caused me to write this letter.

My concerns: Do you really believe in white male supremacy?
Surely the future will be more equitable - such as...

An "Asian type" captain (we are outnumbered now by Asian
peoples). Also, baldness in the future? I doubt it.

Jonathan Frakes just does not have the face of a strong,
aggressive "Number One" - perhaps a Latino, or a Jimmy
Smits type.

Mr. Data looks like PeeWee Herman with his off-white skin
and slicked back hair. All the hairstyles seem to some
from yuppie America.

Do we really need another TV show with the young wiz-kid,
who will obviously save the day. Heck, why not add Lassie
to the cast.

Yes, the show did have some strong points. The storyline fit the
mold. The Klingon and "Blind" crew member are interesting. Surely
the show will progress. Maybe there will be an accident and some of
the crew will have to be replaced. I won't change the channel yet.

Thanks for listenning.

Sincerely,
/s/ Linda Peterson
10/5/87

This is the best post I've seen in a while.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

MikeJF posted:

If anyone has the DS9 DVDs and wants to spend the effort, someone's written a guide with scripts to achieve the best upscale they could get:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/314653-remastering-deep-space-nine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsi3qxOQlc

I know we're not going to get a proper HD remaster but honestly I wish CBS would just do a high-quality upscale off the masters they do have and put it on Netflix/Bluray. Or hell, just run this guy's scripts on the DVD and put it on Netflix.

I'm really hoping this just ends up on :filez:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bull3964 posted:

Frakes is just a bit too old for that now I think.

The Titan would have been a really great setting for a Lower Decks-style show with a more serious tone. The Lower Decks threads in the command crew a ton, but you could definitely pull off a show like this where you'd only need Frakes to even show up once in a blue moon.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

This is the best post I've seen in a while.

If anyone else wants to read the online reactions to Star Trek: The Next Generation back when it first came out in 1987, download the SF Lovers digest archive here https://archive.org/details/SFLoversDigestArchive
(it is an archive of raw text files which Windows users will have problems reading, people running Linux/BSD variants will be fine though).
Extract it and then open up SF-LOVERS Digest Vol.12b, go to Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 08:59:37 EDT
Then just start word searching for "Star Trek" or "generation" after that post to skip all the non Star Trek related things in SF-LOVERS Digest Vol.12b

Windows users: you will need to use a 3rd party software tool like notepad++ or gVim to read the files properly.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Unmature posted:

IIRC, the novelization had them intending for it to burn up in the atmosphere, but Saavik changed the targeting to a soft landing. Can't recall the exact reason, but it may have been so he could rest on the world he helped create? Whatever, she was emotional--half Romulan and all that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntMdtzG5a8

Data fuckin' KILLING IT.

Joe Piscopo taught him well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watched the “Evil Admiral Terry O’Quinn” episode of TNG, and as it turns out from reading Memory Beta articles, after he was court-martialed out of Starfleet for the USS Pegasus incident, Section 31 immediately recruited him to do more similar evil poo poo dealing with phase cloaking devices.