Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

In a secure facility there is a big difference between a guy carrying potentially unsafe items and a tool cart that is inventoried and kept secure when not in use.

Having worked at a hospital, inventoried is a big assumption. Kept secure when not in use, sure, but if you let it leave your sight there's nothing stopping someone from walking up and taking something off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I did some work for a half-way house and their maintenance cart was inventoried at the start and end of every shift. If anything turned up missing every room and resident was searched.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had to deal with two minor but very annoying problems today and both turned out to be my own drat fault. :smith:

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to deal with two minor but very annoying problems today and both turned out to be my own drat fault. :smith:

Those are the worst, I have too many times where I go:

"WHAT DUMB MOTHERFUCKER WROTE THIS..." *runs git blame* "...well gently caress."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

I broke the internet Monday and Tuesday and exchange today

Staying home tomorrow

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was already home!

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I broke the internet Monday and Tuesday and exchange today

Staying home tomorrow

That is exchange patch is mean and their known issues are a loving lie.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

*looking the mirror* well well well, if it isn't my worst enemy

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A manager of a location told my colleague we can't really expect people over 50 to use the new system (switch over to MS Dynamics in March from a in-house developed ERP). Only, all the main users in that location are over 50 and the one guy that is not is thinking about leaving because he keeps having to clean up their poo poo. Also, how are we going to convince these people to follow procedures if this is the position of their direct manager?

(They also did this in the old system, btw. But it was a lot more simple so it flew under the radar for most of the time.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I guess they can find a new job then, one where they are willing to use the provided tools to do the work they're paid to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, this smacks of an ageist attitude by management reinforced by that one employee that stems from the lack of proper training. My almost 70 year old parents are daily smartphone/tablet users and cut the cord and are using streaming services for their TV. I think that someone born in 1970 is capable of learning a new UI and workflow.

If there's a general issue with people doing their work properly, then it's a general training or hiring issue. It doesn't have anything to do with age.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I don't know why we pay for 24/7 Gold Support for software these days, if all support is going to tell us is "You need professional services to assist...", "Well check these articles you already said you read...", "Just double the RAM..." and my favorite about the case I have open about ERROR/FATAL messages in my logging making it difficult to read... "Oh just disregard those, they are normal..."

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Urgh. very senior manager suspended for investigation. Has had IT access granted to prepare response to investigation. IT was provided. He is alleging it does not work.

It does work, he is making allegations to sabotage the investigation process - why involve me you berk. :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

angry armadillo posted:

Urgh. very senior manager suspended for investigation. Has had IT access granted to prepare response to investigation. IT was provided. He is alleging it does not work.

It does work, he is making allegations to sabotage the investigation process - why involve me you berk. :(

where on earth do you work

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Quis invetigiet ipsos investiges?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

angry armadillo posted:

That's common, if your employers have even remotely okay lawyers, his rear end is grass - hilariously so if he pejures himself on sworn statements on the way out

I guess what I'm saying is that's, in your local Rumor Mill, watch this space

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

angry armadillo posted:

Urgh. very senior manager suspended for investigation. Has had IT access granted to prepare response to investigation.

Is this normal? Sounds like a hilariously bad idea

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

a case really needs to be open and shut before you approach someone. the goal is to encourage them to just walk

sorry this dipshit wasn't brought behind the shed properly

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have had a headache since yesterday. Felt a bit tired too.

We got our mandatory flu shots Monday and I wonder if this is just a side effect from that.

My 7-week old had a little bug for two days this weekend, it could be that.

But because I didn’t go to work today I might not be able to go back for 14 days.

We also got COVID tested on Monday so I should get those results back any day.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

My boss had me build an FTPS server. That's bad enough.

He then stuck it behind an Azure proxy with two IP addresses, and my server only gets to see the internal IPs now, causing a 50% failure rate in data channel connections. I asked him to fix it so that I could see the actual IP addresses and explained why the server is rejecting mismatched IPs.

He wanted to fix it by changing the proxy to a single IP, and I'm like "That's worse. You understand that that's worse, right"

Like I get that he's a networks guy and he's younger than me, but how can you understand what NAT is and not have had to deal with the hell that is FTP?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
User wanted me to sit on a ticket for 3 weeks for them to get less busy.

Now the day has come and she still ain't dragged her happy rear end on site and thinks our meeting was supposed to be a Zoom call. You have an issue with your laptop battery, how the gently caress am I supposed to fix that over the phone?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

I guess they can find a new job then, one where they are willing to use the provided tools to do the work they're paid to do.

This is the extent of how prepared I am to deal with this sort of bullshit

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

Like I get that he's a networks guy and he's younger than me, but how can you understand what NAT is and not have had to deal with the hell that is FTP?

I haven't had to deal with FTP or FTPS at any point in my professional life and I know what NAT is, what kind of special hell is FTP? Does it require port forwarding bullshit for whatever insane reason instead of just running everything over an established socket?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

I haven't had to deal with FTP or FTPS at any point in my professional life and I know what NAT is, what kind of special hell is FTP? Does it require port forwarding bullshit for whatever insane reason instead of just running everything over an established socket?

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ftp_modes

tldr, port 21 is only used for control, and actual data transfer is done over different ports

if the ports aren't opened up in the firewall correctly, or in Lum's case, someone is being too clever with a proxy, there are a bunch of dumb problems

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

I'm reaching way back, but I think it has to with the fact that the FTP server initiates a connection back to the client for data transfer. I'm pretty sure you have to use PASV mode to ameliorate that.

But 2 NATS breaks even PASV and the NAT nearest the server needs to port forward.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Why the hell would FTP even do that as a concept?

edit: this was from the days before routers and nat were a thing and everything had its own public ip on your corporate 'class b' exposed to the public internet isn't it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

edit: this was from the days before routers and nat were a thing and everything had its own public ip on your corporate 'class b' exposed to the public internet isn't it

yah

the original rfc was published in 1971

e: looking it up, the extension for passive mode was published in 1994

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

No idea, but the RFC specifies two ports for the protocol. Port 21 is command traffic (client->server) and port 20 is data traffic (initiated server>client) for active mode. PASV mode is intended to fix the issues that NAT and Firewalls introduce by forcing everything over Port 21. These days, passive mode is the default I believe.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have always felt that a big part of my job is to enable other people to do their jobs, and where possible to make their jobs better.

Over the last couple months I’ve been working on a project with another team and their attitude is.. different.

They will build a thing with no input from the people that will actually use it, and any feedback on improving the user experience is met with “it works fine, we’re not changing anything”

Working on this project has been very frustrating and it blows my mind that there are IT people still have this attitude.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Going to have to disagree with this assessment

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

buttchugging adderall posted:

Those are the worst, I have too many times where I go:

"WHAT DUMB MOTHERFUCKER WROTE THIS..." *runs git blame* "...well gently caress."

There's a utility that can fix that.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

skooma512 posted:

You have an issue with your laptop battery, how the gently caress am I supposed to fix that over the phone?

Father-in-law: Agrikk, my Internet is unresponsive. Can you connect to my computer and check?

I live nine hundred miles away.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Work (March 21, 2020): Go and work from home with whatever you can snatch up and get connected with!
Work (October 12, 2020): Return to campus is a thing, but for alternating days only! We are COVID aware and also relinquishing a lot of floor space therefore $$$.
Me (October 14, 2020): Can I stay here or do this thing from a much further away location that will make about as much difference?
Work (October 15 2020): No! That is ridiculous! You may NOT have a proper work/life balance despite all our bullshit PR during lockdown.
Me: Yep.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The Fool posted:

yah

the original rfc was published in 1971

e: looking it up, the extension for passive mode was published in 1994

Yes, so you use the control port to issue commands like cwd, ls, put etc. and in passive mode (which is basically required these days) the server opens a data port and tells the client what it is. This port is completely unauthenticated, so your only defence against data theft is ensuring that the connection to the data port is coming from the same IP as the control channel (even this doesn't protect you against a rogue actor behind the client's NAT, and the growth of CGNAT is going to completely gently caress it)

So by having the proxy round robin, you break that security measure and render it unusable. By proxying from a single IP, Joe would've managed to completely negate the one check you can do to stop an attacker from just trying random data ports and seeing what they can grab.

Fortunately I was able to impress on him the severity of this and he's redone the network to be completely different and my server now sees the source IP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can I use this opportunity to bitch about tftp still existing too?

Relying on UDP with the size of modern boot images sucks. It works just enough to get the job done but fails just enough to be annoying.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the only *ftp* thing that is acceptable is sftp

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
BitTorrent has been around for twenty years, TFTP is a kind of “Bwelp; that’s the way we’d always done it.” sort of thing.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

the only *ftp* thing that is acceptable is sftp

Unfortunately we're a Microsoft shop so no-one likes the SFTP server as it's Linux and therefore I'm the only one that can support it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lum posted:

Unfortunately we're a Microsoft shop so no-one likes the SFTP server as it's Linux and therefore I'm the only one that can support it.

We used Ipswitch WSFTP which... worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

We used Ipswitch WSFTP which... worked.
We use this, too. It's... fine. But I get the feeling Ipswitch is trying to kill it in favor of their web-based offerings.

WINSCP is a better option, IMO. Ipswitch has a command-line interface, but is primarily designed to be used through the GUI; WINSCP has a GUI, but is primarily designed to be used through the command line. It's also open-source, and more secure (the connections aren't exportable).