Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
That was my complaint about Dark Fate (and really stretches back to previous films) where the producers say "This is the true sequel to T1 and T2, ignore the rest!". Then they make a film that is pretty much like the rest as a half-hearted sequel and half-baked retread in equal measure. Then they wait a few more years and try the same thing again. After Dark Fate it's just plain clear the series is done and should be left alone. James Cameron said almost 30 years ago he had no ideas for a T3 and refused to direct one (though he came back as producer). It's clear why he felt that way, creatively it's finished.

If anyone wants "the true sequel to T1 and T2", just watch the 2007 TV show because it's the best we are going to get. It's legit good as well.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I liked Dark Fate just because of the idea of a Terminator hanging window treatments for a living. I wanted to see what his robot vision was doing when he measured for them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If they make another one they should bring back Micheal Biehn because gently caress it why not.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I actually had kind of an idea for a Terminator film.
Rather than being a sequel it would instead be a what if scenario. Specifically what if Kyle hadn't been as quick on the draw at the Tech Noir club and Sarah died?

I'm thinking it takes place after Judgement Day (the event, not the movie.) And it's just about him learning to give a drat about humanity again after all the year and him surviving the end of the world twice and atepping up to help humanity.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One more ranking for the road: T2 > T1 > T3 > 4 > 6 > 5

My take, if I was tasked with making an idea for a Terminator sequel. I'd go Star Trek The Next Generation with it. Just set it 300 years later, we've got some kind of Cyberpunk-esque future or whatever, some new Terminator or evil AI shenanigans ensue.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Humanity defeating SkyNet and rebuilding society like 300-400 years after Judgement Day, and then some alien threat shows up and the humans have to REACTIVATE SKYNET TO FIGHT THE ALIENS.

TERMINATOR: UNEASY ALLIANCE

This summer in theaters. Rated R.

I could see someone in Hollywood fart out a screenplay for something like that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Isn't that the plot for a Matrix tie-in comic?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The 3rd Terminator is worth watching for the truck chase scene near the beginning and the bananas ending straight out of planet of the apes. Everything in between is worth skipping.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dokmo posted:

The 3rd Terminator is worth watching for the truck chase scene near the beginning and the bananas ending straight out of planet of the apes. Everything in between is worth skipping.

For completionists, it makes the movie easier to take in if you tell yourself someone at the cinema swapped a few reels with the latest Police Academy sequel or whatever, and it somehow stayed that way.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Halloween Jack posted:

Terminator Salvation was a troubled production that resulted in a convoluted mess of a story, but it looks great. It's worth watching for the production design and cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWIBlRiSqg

Was that scene in the theatrical cut? This looks great. I remember absolutely hating it when it came out and this is making me want to rewatch it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It is, yeah and is the best part of the entire film which is bad when it happens only 5 minutes in. Note Terry Crews' corpse behind him at the start. I think this was the only point he was onscreen??

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Splint Chesthair posted:

I liked Dark Fate just because of the idea of a Terminator hanging window treatments for a living. I wanted to see what his robot vision was doing when he measured for them.

"You can switch this to an inside bay mount no extra charge right?"

YES/NO
OR WHAT?
GO AWAY
PLEASE COME BACK LATER
gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat
gently caress YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Dark Fate just because the characters were better than I was expecting. Like, I remember last time I posted about it I mentioned that I really liked Natalia Reyes' performance(and Mackenzie Davis, obviously) and everyone jumped all over me for it but I thought it was very good :shrug:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Hirez posted:

The one with the Spanish brother/sister could have been a lot better, but I think it was decent enough but dumb enough to make it forgettable; and that might of even been the latest but like I said, forgettable.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

loving what?!

reading the wikipedia's, it was Dark Fate (the latest one 2019). Like I/others have said, it's decent enough but nothing great

Hirez posted:

The Sarah Connor Chronicles TV show (first season 9 eps, second season 22 eps on Fox) was the only "good" sequel/spinoff/reboot

Justin Godscock posted:

If anyone wants "the true sequel to T1 and T2", just watch the 2007 TV show because it's the best we are going to get. It's legit good as well.

:hai:

This guy gets it

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Octy posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Hard Target the other night and am now working my way through Jean Claude Van Johnson, so thanks for the recommendations in this thread. I'm not surprised the latter was cancelled. It seems to be the usual MO for streaming services.

The only Adkins movies I haven't seen at this point are Hard Target 2 and Ip Man 4 (I think) - only because I haven't seen the prequels, thanks for this post saying Hard Target is enjoyable
because the premise sounded kind of dumb so I'd been avoiding it - evil JCVD twins lol - I'll have do a Hard Target/Ip Man marathon this weekend and finish off my Adkins Catalog til the next one :smith:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You're confusing Hard Target with Double Impact, friend. Hard Target is super enjoyable!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah Double Impact is some decent stupid fun but kind of drags early on.

But it's important for being the first movie to result from JCVD being so difficult to work with that he could only star opposite himself giving us Maximum Risk and Replicant.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hirez posted:

reading the wikipedia's, it was Dark Fate (the latest one 2019). Like I/others have said, it's decent enough but nothing great

I'm calling you stupid for not knowing the difference between being from Spain and speaking a dialect of Spanish. Spain doesn't border loving Texas.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

married but discreet posted:

Was that scene in the theatrical cut? This looks great. I remember absolutely hating it when it came out and this is making me want to rewatch it.
Good to see that the Terminator programming of "when you grab a human, throw them several metres away from you rather than rip them limb from limb" was the default even before the T-800.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Payndz posted:

Good to see that the Terminator programming of "when you grab a human, throw them several metres away from you rather than rip them limb from limb" was the default even before the T-800.

That's always been the dumbest loving thing about Terminators and there's definitely room for a more brutal imagining of them where they're just incredibly effective killers. Me a big robot capable of crushing skulls underfoot, the enemy a soft squishy bag of organs, I guess I'll toy with them by hurling them about a bit. They're just not scary.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's always been the dumbest loving thing about Terminators and there's definitely room for a more brutal imagining of them where they're just incredibly effective killers. Me a big robot capable of crushing skulls underfoot, the enemy a soft squishy bag of organs, I guess I'll toy with them by hurling them about a bit. They're just not scary.

It all falls into place if you consider SMG's reading that the Terminators are incredibly shoddy.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel like this is a larger problem with many movie featuring bad guys who are super strong, robots or aliens or whatever. It's such a failure of imagination.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Grendels Dad posted:

It all falls into place if you consider SMG's reading that the Terminators are incredibly shoddy.

I'm going to regret asking this, but do you have a link to that post

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The mistake is in seeing it as a deliberate design, like Skynet could have created a better robot and just decided not to.

The elephant in the room is that this much-hyped ultimate robot killer is blatantly way less effective than a human assassin would have been with the same mission. Skynet can’t send a human assassin, of course, because there’s nobody stupid enough. So it‘s stuck using this thing: a marginal improvement on a rubber dummy.

What’s ‘scary’ about the terminator, to the extent that it’s scary at all, is its dead-eyed stupidity. You can’t reason with a terminator because it’s just too incurious. It will not stop, ever, until you are dead, because it’s too dumb to do anything else.

The bulletproof bones, pain tolerance, etc. - those features are there to compensate for the painfully slow reaction times, tactical ineptitude, trouble moving in close quarters, etc.

Arnold puts a laser-dot sight on his gun because he can’t aim too well.
I honestly don't know what's gained by making Terminators hypercompetent. Would Halloween be a better film if Michael Myers was a Navy SEAL? Is it just one of those things where people like "outsmarting" the movie by pointing out "plot holes?"

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
People in the What's Streaming thread are saying that Extraction is bad and I'm getting mad that I went to any other thread in CD besides this one

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In Terminator 2 the T-1000's vehicle bumps into the truck they're driving as Arnold is reloading his grenade launcher and this causes him to drop the grenade.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Boco_T posted:

People in the What's Streaming thread are saying that Extraction is bad and I'm getting mad that I went to any other thread in CD besides this one

Its not great but it's completely solid. How on earth do they think it's bad?

And I'm glad this thread hyped up dark fate. I had given up entirely after terminator 5 but quite enjoyed 6.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think it's more of a case of time and budget.
Having tear the limbs off would be a lot more expensive than just simply tossing them to the side.
Plus id you screw up the shot, it's a simple matter of stacking up the stuff the stuntman was thrown into compaired to the cleanup and resetting for practical effects or time rendering for the CGI.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 15, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The movie would also be over very quickly. Alternatively the writers would have to think of some other way to convey danger to the protagonist other than them getting thrown around.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The new Adkins Art of Action is out and Vidyut Jammwal is distractingly handsome. He seems to be in some pretty cool Indian action films too and loves Jackie Chan so much, it's quite sweet :3:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

married but discreet posted:

The movie would also be over very quickly. Alternatively the writers would have to think of some other way to convey danger to the protagonist other than them getting thrown around.

I don't know why you're so harsh to James Cameron. I mean, the Terminator could have killed Sarah's roomy's boyfriend like he did those punks, but I liked the scene.

null_pointer posted:

Sadly not. I can go looking for it but I'm honestly not sure whether it was made in the general chat threat, the Greenlighted threat or possible a random other thread.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't know why you're so harsh to James Cameron. I mean, the Terminator could have killed Sarah's roomy's boyfriend like he did those punks, but I liked the scene.

Naw, I don't mind throwy terminators or whatever else is required for a movie to work the way it does.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Christ the opening of Universal Soldier Regeneration slaps.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Disposable Scud posted:

Christ the opening of Universal Soldier Regeneration slaps.

I just looked back at all your posts with the mentality of "anyone that has a Nemesis avatar, I wanna see what they have to say". Your second post is declaring you watched Nemesis for the first time - love it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Pyun, out of respect, I added two Pyuns I hadn't seen to my watch list. Dangerously Close and Down Twisted. Could be some B-movie zen there.

I'd say his best movie is probably Radioactive Dreams, starring the #1 American Ninja Michael Dudikoff. The Sword and The Sorcerer also owns. And stuff like Dollman and Brainsmasher are pretty funny.

Speaking of Rugter though, Wanted: Dead or Alive looks like it could be entertaining.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

null_pointer posted:

From the first film onward, Terminators have terrible, monochromatic, low-resolution tunnel-vision. They’re easily confused by excessive motion and ‘glitch out’ when, say, bopped on the head.

Their style of hand-to-hand combat, to the extent that they have one, involves lots of flailing and tossing-away because they get extremely confused when a target gets too close. They’re designed primarily to use guns at medium range, and they’re considerably worse than a human at that. They’re very slow at performing basic human actions like ‘aiming’, or ‘speaking’.

What Terminators are fairly good at is driving cars and synthesizing speech.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

From the first film onward, Terminators have terrible, monochromatic, low-resolution tunnel-vision. They’re easily confused by excessive motion and ‘glitch out’ when, say, bopped on the head.

Their style of hand-to-hand combat, to the extent that they have one, involves lots of flailing and tossing-away because they get extremely confused when a target gets too close. They’re designed primarily to use guns at medium range, and they’re considerably worse than a human at that. They’re very slow at performing basic human actions like ‘aiming’, or ‘speaking’.

Why? Skynet is nothing but efficient -- why not make a better robot? It costs effectively nothing to make a perfect killer, once youve designed it, so why not just make a template and just churn them out?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

You're right. The most impressive feat of marksmanship any of the terminators perform is managing to not hit a bunch of cops in T2

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

null_pointer posted:

Why? Skynet is nothing but efficient -- why not make a better robot? It costs effectively nothing to make a perfect killer, once youve designed it, so why not just make a template and just churn them out?

Because your premise is off; nothing Skynet does is terribly efficient. As the “personification” of the US Military-Industrial Complex, it’s actually immensely wasteful.

As for why it’s wasting resources on this specific robot, though: in the first film, the robots are a metaphor for dehumanization under capitalism. Sarah’s going nuts because she fears termination (i.e. unemployment) and is being chased by a serial killer known as “The Phonebook Killer”. (Fun Fact: Terminator 1 takes place largely on Friday the 13th of May 1984). Consequently, the robot behaves exactly like a drugged-up ‘active shooter’ and not so much like a robot.

From another perspective, according to the logic of time travel, Skynet has to build these specific lovely robots because it already did. Now it’s locked into that design forever.

Also, T1, Skynet is said to be built “a few years from [1984]”. That’s not too specific, but it implies that it was born from extremely primitive late-80s tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

null_pointer posted:

All of this is explained in Terminator 2 when they set his chip to allow him to learn poo poo during the scene they say straight up that Skynet wants it that way so they won't get too smart/out of control.