Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

the super brain genius pick is to take devin vassell, poku, or kira lewis jr. and maybe grab grant riller in the second

And I can see some of the error in my ways thinking about Anthony Bennet. He was supposed to be the highest upside guy in the lottery, because of his crazy athleticism and shooting. Failing on the olympic athlete guys seems relatively common, because who can blame you for trying for something transcendent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Obviously we have no actual proof if Amar'e grew or not, but he was a HS to NBA dude. He probably was closer to 6'11" in shoes during his player career.

he always looked pretty much exactly the same size as dwight to me, and dwight is 6'9"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmfao https://twitter.com/krystenpeek/status/1316450770447892480?s=19

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Hes got the gorgui dieng trebuchet shot down pat

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s gone that’s how i know it was spicy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s gone that’s how i know it was spicy

It was this, apparently:

https://twitter.com/DaRealBootum/status/1316799703283949568?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol it's two loving attempts, both of which went in, from a guy who was a 40% career 3 point shooter in college and also shot like 45% on long twos last year who cares

he's also shooting from way out past the 3 point line in that clip, he's always had a little bit of a slingshot to his form but he didn't shoot like that on any of his real attempts in college.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 15, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

lol it's two loving attempts, both of which went in, from a guy who was a 40% career 3 point shooter in college and also shot like 45% on long twos last year who cares

he's also shooting from way out past the 3 point line in that clip, he didn't shoot like that on any of his real attempts in college.

Yeah, but there's a month until the draft and nothing basketball related to watch except 20 second twitter clips of college kid jump shot forms

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

Yeah, but there's a month until the draft and nothing basketball related to watch except 20 second twitter clips of college kid jump shot forms

lots of time to go back and watch them playing in real basketball games

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

lots of time to go back and watch them playing in real basketball games

That's true. Any long limbed athletic dudes with thick ankles projected around the late first round or early second round you'd recommend looking at?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

That's true. Any long limbed athletic dudes with thick ankles projected around the late first round or early second round you'd recommend looking at?

Josh Green, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed, or Robert Woodard. And I don't really like Cassius Stanley but he is definitely long limbed and athletic

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 15, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Never has a player worked on changing their shooting form nor has it ever bit anyone in the rear end

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's two attempts lol. Show me that he shoots everything like that now and I'll care but I'm not gonna throw out like 30 games because of two shots from a distance he's going to shoot from like maybe once a game at most.

Anyway weird concern from the guy who thinks shooting doesn't matter.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yall watch me shoot these shots my shooting coach has been teaching me jk jk jk all this practice was just a joke gotem

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Do guys have a different upper form when they're shooting super long shots normally? I've only ever been a pick up player so everything I do is a bad habit anyways, but I thought you were supposed to use your legs to shoot it further. I also moved to a city with no outdoor nets so I havent played in years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Two second practice clips perfectly predict future performance very excited to see Ben Simmons start drilling 3s next year.

Katana_Warrior posted:

Do guys have a different upper form when they're shooting super long shots normally? I've only ever been a pick up player so everything I do is a bad habit anyways, but I thought you were supposed to use your legs to shoot it further. I also moved to a city with no outdoor nets so I havent played in years

He's still pretty skinny so I think he's trying to compensate for lack of lower body strength by putting more upper body into it, which is bad but, again, only if it's a thing he's always doing and not a thing he was doing for two shots that are a foot or two out of his comfort zone (that went in).

Small sample but he shot 45% on NBA range threes generally last year, but these ones looked at least a couple feet behind where the nba line would be.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 15, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it’s ugly but here’s the thing: it goes in the basket, it comes out quick and its release point isn’t low enough to get blocked, and it’s consistent and smooth

so i mean we’ll see how he looks in a full workout but it’s not the horror show that was lonzo or mkg

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't think it changes anything but I can also see why his agent wants to not publicize the weird shot form, even if it was a weird kind of practice shot.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Does Devin have a weird relationship with his personnel trainer???

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Does Devin have a weird relationship with his personnel trainer???

Yeah they only gently caress on week-ends

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Nanterre92/status/1317431931441733633?s=19

Victor Wembanyama showing off a smooth jumper but also making Rudy Gobert look like a normal sized and proportioned human by comparison lmao.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/Nanterre92/status/1317431931441733633?s=19

Victor Wembanyama showing off a smooth jumper but also making Rudy Gobert look like a normal sized and proportioned human by comparison lmao.

I don't think it's too early to declare him #2 in 2022. I don't like Holmgren as much as the lil french boy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

I don't think it's too early to declare him #2 in 2022. I don't like Holmgren as much as the lil french boy.

He's 2023 unless they change the age limit. So it'll be him and Bates, which is an amazing class. Both have a pretty good case for best prospect in the world regardless of class. Think I'd lean Cade for that but if Wembanyama fills out his ceiling is nuts.

Chet is kinda fun but I don't think anyone believe he's a actually the number 1 in that class for NBA purposes. Should be AJ Griffin, I think.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 18, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i think wembenyana is the odds on favorite to go #1 as of right now but 3 years is a long time in basketball development

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ive just been assuming double draft is a go.

Nganga (whom I love) and Cooper (whom I dont) are the only other two prospects Ive bothered to know anything about from 22/23.
Edit: i forgot to mention I saw a Precious Achiuwa draft comp to Antoine Walker. Thought yall might get a kick out of that. Whats the worst comp youve seen in this class?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 18, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Double draft is definitely going to happen at some point I just don't know if it will be 2022. Maybe if the Bates and Wembanyama hype train gets rolling over the next year that gets the league to push harder for it. That would be an insane class with those two and Griffin at the top (Coach K please don't ruin Griffin).

I know I have seen bad comps but nothing springs to mind. People compare Wiseman's defense to Gobert a lot which is annoying. And I've seen a couple Deni/Luka comps which is just confusing aside from the obvious euro white guy thing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

wiseman’s defense is way closer to drummond than it is to gobert: above-average, but not especially good, and probably always going to be disconnected from how physically talented he is

he’ll block some shots, he might protect the rim, but he’s gonna get destroyed by elite centers that either have better footwork and take good angles to the rim, are crafty enough to fake him out of his shoes, or guys that can straight up bully him on post ups or cuts

there aren’t a ton of anthomy davises or joel embiids or nikola jokics out there but they’re gonna feast on this guy and his bad defensive habits; you gotta decide if you can live with that or if you’re gonna try and coach him up a bit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Edit: Whoops, posted Bulls stuff here instead of the NV thread

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 18, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

wiseman’s defense is way closer to drummond than it is to gobert: above-average, but not especially good, and probably always going to be disconnected from how physically talented he is

Yeah I think Whiteside or Drummond are probably decent comps for him. That guy who sorted his DPOTY ballot by blocks will love him

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be happy taking a real fluid version of Drummond @ 2 or 3 honestly. I know shooting is super important, but i think he has a good enough stroke to be deadly from 18 at least. Im pretty much sold on Wiseman, i think hes good enough to end up being solid on D. I think picking him is wise, man. Dont ban me for that

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I keep watching Jordan Nwora video. I would like to call him a Jae Crowder sort of player, but I don't think he has that special dig deep effort all the time mind. He's tall, he's a good shooter, he can do all the basic stuff on offense, and he's solid on defense. He's another 2nd round guy who you could flip into the first round and not see a difference

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

After listening to the prep2pro podcast where they say it would be cool for trae young to play with killian hayes because playing off-ball sometimes could make trae an even better player, and the atlanta hawks a better team, I have come to the same conclusion, independently of them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

I keep watching Jordan Nwora video. I would like to call him a Jae Crowder sort of player, but I don't think he has that special dig deep effort all the time mind. He's tall, he's a good shooter, he can do all the basic stuff on offense, and he's solid on defense. He's another 2nd round guy who you could flip into the first round and not see a difference

I think the defense is a big worry. He wasn't great in college on that end and he's a really bad athlete. I don't think he does much other than hit spot ups but tall person who can shoot is probably worth a second rounder.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I've been hearing more opinions about Zeke Nnaji rising into the late first round, is he any good? I want the Heat to buy one of the Sixers' early second round picks off of them and nab him there. He seems like he might be a good fit for that team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ironic Twist posted:

I've been hearing more opinions about Zeke Nnaji rising into the late first round, is he any good? I want the Heat to buy one of the Sixers' early second round picks off of them and nab him there. He seems like he might be a good fit for that team.

I think he's...fine? I wouldn't take him in the first but I don't think i would fight someone who did too much. Really good rim runner and garbage man who has good enough shooting indicators that I could see him at least learning to make spot ups from the corners. Also has the mobility to be theoretically good on D but it doesn't really show up much on that end yet. Heat are probably a good spot for him to develop there.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 20, 2020

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I think the defense is a big worry. He wasn't great in college on that end and he's a really bad athlete. I don't think he does much other than hit spot ups but tall person who can shoot is probably worth a second rounder.

That's definitely the worry. He's not good at anything athletically, if he could compete on defense the way he does on offense he seems like any of several role player shooting pfs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone tell me what a KAT Toppin front court would be from a defensive perspective

quote:

Monday, Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report reported that the Minnesota Timberwolves are “high” on Obi Toppin.

“TEAMS ARE BUYING INTO TOPPIN’S SCORING CARRYING OVER BASED ON HIS EXPLOSIVENESS, INSIDE-OUT SKILL LEVEL AND EFFICIENT VOLUME PRODUCTION. AND WHILE THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THE CONCERNS ABOUT HIS DEFENSE, NOBODY SEEMS TOO ALARMED OR READY TO SUGGEST THEY’LL NEGATE OR NEUTRALIZE HIS PROJECTED OFFENSIVE OUTPUT.” – WASSERMAN

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone tell me what a KAT Toppin front court would be from a defensive perspective

4 blocks and 3 steals a game. But -45 pts allowed kinda thing. IMO, it might be worth it. If they resign Beasley and Culver and Okogie can actually shoot 3s, and they get some depth in frontcourt, They could have a top 5 offense.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

WhyteRyce posted:

Toppin plays defense (and everything else) standing straight up and down. Slow to rotate his torso. That feels like a recipe for some atrocious defense.

I have no idea what to make of him. It seems like he should be an offensive monster if he can play off people and if his shooting holds up in the nba. Feels like he's super athletic in a straight line but not any other way and I'm not sure what that will translate into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

cardboard cutout-esque