Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on blog posts of some people working there, arcsys staff isn't working from home right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Would it really cost so much money to just grab the “lobby” folder and drag it to the trash?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There’s a new version of Phantom Breaker coming out and I’m pretty excited to play some more Trash Anime Bullshit

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

There’s a new version of Phantom Breaker coming out and I’m pretty excited to play some more Trash Anime Bullshit

Oh, cool, I remember when the first version originally got announced for the 360 and then got lost in development hell. Then that game never came out, but the beat-em up spinoff Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds did come out. It's cool to see the initial game is finally getting released. IGN put out a trailer and some match footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKM3fJ7HWYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duojb6yMst4

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I doubt it was lost in development hell or even licensing hell, since the two PB fighters came out on Japanese PS3 and the PB beatemup came out worldwide on many consoles.

I think it was lost in “wow this sucks we shouldn’t localize it” hell.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The phantom breaker fighting game was legit one of the slowest and shittiest fighters I have ever played. It was so bad that I was honestly impressed that the beat em up was actually good.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

That match video of Omnia already looks a lot better than I remember Extra being. Not necessarily GOOD mind you, but better.

I like buying total rear end fighting games so either way I’m stoked for this poo poo.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ryoga posted:

The phantom breaker fighting game was legit one of the slowest and shittiest fighters I have ever played. It was so bad that I was honestly impressed that the beat em up was actually good.

I love me some janky fighting games, but this new one looks like it kinda continues the trend..

Though I appreciate the one anime doing a crazy flying powerbomb thing to the other

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Archer666 posted:

I mean this is basically how ranked already works, except this time its just visualized for absolutely no reason.

Everything about Strive is just so weird to read. Like its meant to bring people in, but most games that center themselves around bringing new people... don't and end up being forgettable. From my experience what brings people are the characters and cool moves and if applicable, a hot license like Marvel or something. GG has the first 2 down so I have no idea why they're dumbing themselves down.

It's really weird looking at the strive lobby stuff from kinda outside the community. I've been kinda thinking about getting into fighting games, for a lot of reasons, and now I've got a few fighting game people I've known for a long time that regularly play with my gaming group so I'd even have a couple people to explain poo poo to me, but whenever I see the things fighting game devs are trying to do to "help" people like me get into the game I just can't help but think they're entirely missing what the barrier is.

I don't care how hard combos are to do, because I assume if I stick with a game long enough I'll get there. What I want is a single player campaign that teaches me fundamental theory about fighting games via forcing me to beat an AI designed around some fundamental idea and then a new person to beat with a new thing to teach me, and some story character to identify fighting game lingo as I come across the concept so I can understand what's going on. The barrier isn't gameplay, it's the learning cliff of terminology and concepts.

Lobby poo poo makes me frown because it just... doesn't mean anything to me? I was eyeing GG because I'm a sucker for anime trash, not because I really dig arcade lobbies or whatever. I play POE and MMOs and minecraft. Complicated and obtuse as hell game mechanics are clearly not a barrier to me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 15, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's really weird looking at the strive lobby stuff from kinda outside the community. I've been kinda thinking about getting into fighting games, for a lot of reasons, and now I've got a few fighting game people I've known for a long time that regularly play with my gaming group so I'd even have a couple people to explain poo poo to me, but whenever I see the things fighting game devs are trying to do to "help" people like me get into the game I just can't help but think they're entirely missing what the barrier is.

I don't care how hard combos are to do, because I assume if I stick with a game long enough I'll get there. What I want is a single player campaign that teaches me fundamental theory about fighting games via forcing me to beat an AI designed around some fundamental idea and then a new person to beat with a new thing to teach me, and some story character to identify fighting game lingo as I come across the concept so I can understand what's going on. The barrier isn't gameplay, it's the learning cliff of terminology and concepts.

Lobby poo poo makes me frown because it just... doesn't mean anything to me? I was eyeing GG because I'm a sucker for anime trash, not because I really dig arcade lobbies or whatever. I play POE and MMOs and minecraft. Complicated and obtuse as hell game mechanics are clearly not a barrier to me.

I feel like xrd rev 2 actually kinda does this in their tutorial, and unclr has a pretty good tutorial as well.

The problem is no game that I've seen really rewards you for the tutorial or integrates it well.

It would work way better if there was a single player campaign where you run into "jerk jumping man" who works for big bad guy and is confident in his jumps, so wipe that smile off his face with some anti air combos.

Kind of like in every other game where the story mode introduces the main mechanics to you by like, having you throw a grenade at 8 guys having a party around an explosive barrel.

Teach the player how to do it and then reward them with something other than the next level of tutorial. Otherwise it's just sort of "here's all the tutorials, hope you enjoy grinding matches to learn" which works for me but is not exactly a great experience for people that are truly new.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
More games need an actual complete heres the characters archetype and their gameplan. Here's how you execute it and how the moves in the kit work together

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the problem with features like that is that a) it turns out most people most in need of tutorial features ignore them and b) those toy single player skill builders have been (apocryphally) shown to not actually transfer to real live multiplayer matches

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Instead of cheating supercharacter bosses just give me AI archetypes designed to hammer some mechanic home.
Midboss SnakeEdgeSpamMan who does nothing but blocks and snake-edges you.
GimmickGoon baddie who spams 1-2 cheese cheap moves and basically nothing else.
HuggingHulk who basically only varies up throws

make them real scumbag characters so you want to really dumpster them by learning The Actual Lesson

i know you can set all of those up as variations in better training modes, but that assumes you already know all those things exist

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 15, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Midbosses: only jumps in/crosses up man, run away and fireball man, throw/sweep mixup woman
Final boss: perfect anti-airs man
The postgame boss: walk forward and jab woman

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

You can put all the tutorials in the world, but really it just comes down to “does a player wanna spend hundreds of hours and endure countless losses before becoming okay at a game?”

Tutorials can’t help that, and anything beyond basic instructions on the controls and what the meters do is wasted effort

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are entire volumes of advice on teaching that could be (but are generally not) applied to fighting games, but the first and most important step is separating the idea of tutorializing from the idea of onboarding/retention.

Better teaching tools are incredibly good things to have because it raises the overall skill level of the community and helps push the game to its limits. They're not a waste of effort at all.

But that's a very different concept than trying to soften or downplay the reality of the genre to get people to give learning a chance. Trying to convince people to learn against their will is a waste of time. Helping those who want to learn is not.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, there's a GDC presentation about how tutorials are good for bullet points on the store page but the only kind of players who don't skip them are the ones who don't actually need them. And even if you stealthily sneak them in story mode, none of them will teach a newcomer how to endure countless defeats against another human.

Although it's worth mentioning the most interesting step in that area that's been made this year is games (in general, I don't think any fighting game does this but it's not like we had a bunch of new releases this year) that match newcomers to bots pretending to be easily defeatable humans, but whether that works at all isn't really known and you get extra salt when the newcomer gloating about early victories is told it was just Skynet using kid gloves.

Chev fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 15, 2020

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Instead of cheating supercharacter bosses just give me AI archetypes designed to hammer some mechanic home.

make them real scumbag characters so you want to really dumpster them by learning The Actual Lesson

i know you can set all of those up as variations in better training modes, but that assumes you already know all those things exist

I think footsies does this kinda

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Skullgirls did that and no one noticed it because unless the AI tells you what they're gonna do during the fight, as soon as they find an exploitable pattern players will just think it's a bad AI.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Its ok to lose :spooky:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've been trying to get into fighting games and I still lose basically every match I go into in games that aren't Fantasy Strike. When it comes to these sorts of games, I think one of the most important things holding me back is the usefulness of each move, and the fact that Special moves are not meant to be the Only Moves That Matter. In any other genre a character's special moves are meant to be the big payoff for the player, but in a fighting game it seems like they're basically the same as any other kind of attack. I still can't help but feel like I've gotta be pulling out special moves all the time, and that my guy's normals are just filler.

Also as far as tutorials go, I find most of the information they give is basically useless. Yeah, you can tell me what Laura's combos are (which I can't even pull off), but they're just against an unmoving dummy. They don't go into why you want to do any of this stuff, and the scenarios they put you in do not reflect an actual fight at all. Even if they try and gameify certain aspects, I still feel like I'd only learn the lesson for dealing with that specific case, rather than being able to apply it to an actual match against a person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

this is how the mlp fighter works

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Them's Fightin Herds specifically does this but it's also the pony fighting game so that alone is a barrier of entry.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

You can put all the tutorials in the world, but really it just comes down to “does a player wanna spend hundreds of hours and endure countless losses before becoming okay at a game?”

Tutorials can’t help that, and anything beyond basic instructions on the controls and what the meters do is wasted effort

I think you're right that at the end of the day someone has to be willing to lose a lot in order to get better (I spent a long time getting good at french horn and machine shorthand, I know what sucking at something but doing it anyway looks like), but there's a lot to fighting games that isn't understanding what meters do and which buttons do what. A tutorial can help with that, maybe.

Maybe it's better to call it fighting game literacy or something instead of getting gud?

Also my biggest original point was more that nothing the FG devs seem to be doing to try to get new players in does anything for me, a new person thinking about getting into this genre. Dunno why a lobby system is something anyone is even worried about.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 15, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oberst posted:

Its ok to lose :spooky:

Learning this truth was when my FGC third eye finally opened.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Momomo posted:

I've been trying to get into fighting games and I still lose basically every match I go into in games that aren't Fantasy Strike. When it comes to these sorts of games, I think one of the most important things holding me back is the usefulness of each move, and the fact that Special moves are not meant to be the Only Moves That Matter. In any other genre a character's special moves are meant to be the big payoff for the player, but in a fighting game it seems like they're basically the same as any other kind of attack. I still can't help but feel like I've gotta be pulling out special moves all the time, and that my guy's normals are just filler.

Also as far as tutorials go, I find most of the information they give is basically useless. Yeah, you can tell me what Laura's combos are (which I can't even pull off), but they're just against an unmoving dummy. They don't go into why you want to do any of this stuff, and the scenarios they put you in do not reflect an actual fight at all. Even if they try and gameify certain aspects, I still feel like I'd only learn the lesson for dealing with that specific case, rather than being able to apply it to an actual match against a person.

The thing that makes special moves "special" is you can cancel into them from normal moves, meaning the regular button presses you do can often be interrupted or seamlessly linked into a special move. Many games have an order of sequence like this, like moving up the food pyramid of moves.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Momomo posted:

something that might be helpful would be to pick a char with huge normals to help you understand the importance of regular buttons. Or play different games that have different emphases, download the melty caster and mash crouching punch or play some KOF games on figtcade and use j.C a bunch or stand perfectly still and throw out heavy slashes in Sam sho II etc.

trying out lots of different games can help contextualize why FGs are designed and played the way they are, another lesson that you won't be able to necessarily learn in any single game's tutorials

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Use Gordo's 5c then understand the true power of normals.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Spanish Manlove posted:

i know what you meant by this but its really making me laugh

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

look out he's about to rusty nail!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
lol I should totally know it's Gordeau

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

that's a good rear end button...one of my faves. not as obviously powerful but another favorite button of mine is millia c.S, elegant, hits multiple times, looks cool when you continue the combo into the air. Bellissimo. I miss proximity normals.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Momomo posted:

depends on the game, but normal moves are usually faster and/or less of a commitment compared to specials, and if they connect you can cancel into a special move anyway

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I trained for over ten years just to get caught in a crouching jab

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Momomo posted:

Just play dbzf and mash square

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I think you're right that at the end of the day someone has to be willing to lose a lot in order to get better (I spent a long time getting good at french horn and machine shorthand, I know what sucking at something but doing it anyway looks like), but there's a lot to fighting games that isn't understanding what meters do and which buttons do what. A tutorial can help with that, maybe.

Maybe it's better to call it fighting game literacy or something instead of getting gud?

Also my biggest original point was more that nothing the FG devs seem to be doing to try to get new players in does anything for me, a new person thinking about getting into this genre. Dunno why a lobby system is something anyone is even worried about.

they mentioned that people are more likely to play mobile games than fighting games, so the lobbies they picked are supposed to appeal to people who only play games on their phones (i think)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

they mentioned that people are more likely to play mobile games than fighting games, so the lobbies they picked are supposed to appeal to people who only play games on their phones (i think)

leaked image of the menu for guilty gear strive part 2: strive harder

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dragon enthusiast posted:

leaked image of the menu for guilty gear strive part 2: strive harder

that looks nothing like maplestory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

10 stamina to play your next ranked match