Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Switch menu is the current perfect menu

Miiverse was also the perfect social integration and nothing anyone is trying right now can compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Miiverse was also the perfect social integration and nothing anyone is trying right now can compare.

Yeah this, everyone just needs to copy this UI, it's perfect. No achievements, no social media integration, you have full privacy, no advertising at the main menu, its just perfect and fast.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

:yeah:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Its like you don't even care about Gamestop's long-tail revenue on these consoles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Switch is still bad because it has the dumb "NEWS AND UPDATES" garbage on the standby menu but at least it doesn't take 20 seconds to load a game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please I don't want an RSS feed I just want to game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FunOne posted:

Its like you don't even care about Gamestop's long-tail revenue on these consoles.

I will believe in a god when Gamestop is no more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My main issue with the xbox UI on the One S at least is how it always feels so sluggish, and seems to get overhauled every time I turned the console on.

Gutcruncher posted:

Still waiting for the eshop music, dammit.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Anyone know if/when there will be another round of preorders?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
What adverts are upsetting you? I see one for call of duty that says sponsored next to it, but it looks just like the other boxes that say play Alan wake on game pass ( another ad of sorts) and another box that shows what one of my friends is playing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Crafty posted:

What adverts are upsetting you? I see one for call of duty that says sponsored next to it, but it looks just like the other boxes that say play Alan wake on game pass ( another ad of sorts) and another box that shows what one of my friends is playing.
Yes all of those.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

American McGay posted:

Yes all of those.

The internet must be nsfl for you guys

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adblock owns

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Crafty posted:

The internet must be nsfl for you guys

Do you seriously not use Adblock?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol just lol if you haven't installed PiHole on an old RPi and hooked it up to your router, causing your internet to gently caress up every few seconds just so you don't have to see ads

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I block all ads when browsing Youtube on my desktop but it's pretty jarring when I occasionally decide to use the the YT app on a console and instantly run into obnoxious ads.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

BonoMan posted:

What do people think a 4K menu gets them?

I dunno... maybe a menu that looks good? :iiam:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

I said come in! posted:

First things first, anything with advertising on it automatically gets a 1/10 and can't be improved from there until its removed. The Xbox One UI is a 1/10 on just this alone, but it just happens to have other reasons for why it is pure trash.

Yeah, this is the main reason my consoles are only used for exclusives and free games I don't already have on PC. If I paid a decent chunk of money for the system and on top of that subscribe to your online service, gently caress you for shoving ads down my throat.

Edit: A close second reason is social media bullshit that can't be disabled. I don't give a flying gently caress that some dipshit is streaming a game in my library or whatever.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 15, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like all of the current UIs. playstation has the fanciest themes but seems to be the slowest especially while trying to go downthread on a game tile
xbone lets you do a pleasant amount of customization to your homescreen and adding apps or games to your home screen so you can immediately go to deep links for them is convenient. it is probably the most functional
switch is not anything it is just a list of games and there are no real non-game functions you need to access

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

What do people think a 4K menu gets them? Like... your options are fairly slim in what you can even do. Menu time should be minimal. What people SHOULD be complaining about is that console OS' have too much lovely fluff that makes people care about how much you can fit on one screen.

its just uggo to go from 4k game to 1080 menu and people see it and go "eww" cause its a clear downgrade. nbd but you do deffo notice

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The UI should just be a terminal app with a selectable list of games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

The UI should just be a terminal app with a selectable list of games.

Don't give Nintendo any ideas

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you don’t have to type LOAD and sit through at least a minute of flickering coloured lines are you even really gaming?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Real hurthling! posted:

its just uggo to go from 4k game to 1080 menu and people see it and go "eww" cause its a clear downgrade. nbd but you do deffo notice

Well for one... I was just trying to make a "more resolution just means they'll cram more crap on it" joke.

But I 4K game on a nice 4K tv and when the tv goes back to menu I definitely don't go "eww." Or at least not because of the resolution. It's a pretty plane jane design (and maybe that's the point) but I def don't just, like, have some sort of emotional whiplash to 1080p.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
LoL if you ever saw the UI of the Xbox one instead of just yelling "Xbox, go to Doom" over and over again until it heard you

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I’d rather have a UTI than waste time on a UI.

“Xbox play halo again”

I just started playing master chief collection again and I’m having a very nice time with it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crafty posted:

I just started playing master chief collection again and I’m having a very nice time with it

My S/O and I just beat Halo CE and holy gently caress I forgot how much I hate how the warthog drives.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Warthog was my main method of getting kills in Halo 3 MP. Very satisfying.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Proud to support The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Vision 2030 and LIV Golf!

American McGay posted:

I've got the nicest 4K OLED money can buy and I sit 3 feet in front of my TV and I've never noticed or lamented the Xbox UI being low resolution. These people are diseased.

Right? Of all my concerns in the world, video games or otherwise, the Xbox MENU not being in 4k is the very very least of my concerns.

But if it's true that I can streamline the menus and get all the crap I never look at off the screen I will be happy even if the menu is 4:3 analog.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The menu is fast and you can just click my games and apps and pins and have the 20+ things that you might want to select up to choose from in under half a second (you add your own pins).... Much to do about nothing

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I hope we get a 4K resolution menu like they want and no scaling.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I want my menus optimized for 4K meaning microscopic and illegible on a 1080p tv but without actually using the extra space for anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

I want my menus optimized for 4K meaning microscopic and illegible on a 1080p tv but without actually using the extra space for anything.

Big "Dead Rising 1 on a CRT" vibes

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I love tiny fonts with no option for scaling. Lots of games do it, it's great and my eyes don't hurt at all.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

American McGay posted:

I've got the nicest 4K OLED money can buy and I sit 3 feet in front of my TV and I've never noticed or lamented the Xbox UI being low resolution. These people are diseased.

I have the nicest 4k QLED can buy and same.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

ErrEff posted:

I love tiny fonts with no option for scaling. Lots of games do it, it's great and my eyes don't hurt at all.

This will be my first generation as a glasses wearer, bring it on.

Someone did a heat comparison of one x vs series x (in Dutch)

https://tweakers.net/reviews/8252/3/xbox-series-x-onze-eerste-indrukken-en-tests-meten-is-weten.html

Xbox One X - 65 °C
Xbox Series X - 48 °C

Series x is quieter, runs cooler, and consumes less power than the one X.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Crafty posted:

This will be my first generation as a glasses wearer, bring it on.

Someone did a heat comparison of one x vs series x (in Dutch)

https://tweakers.net/reviews/8252/3/xbox-series-x-onze-eerste-indrukken-en-tests-meten-is-weten.html

Xbox One X - 65 °C
Xbox Series X - 48 °C

Series x is quieter, runs cooler, and consumes less power than the one X.
Oh but I thought it was "toasty" and burning people's hands and the paint on top of the fans was turning bright red!

https://twitter.com/_xboxnews/status/1316762277685665794?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

on next gen games is the test i want to see

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hitman 2 might as well be a next gen game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

American McGay posted:

Oh but I thought it was "toasty" and burning people's hands and the paint on top of the fans was turning bright red!

The only thing that’s toasting is Phil Spencer, to the Xbox design team.

And the PS4 pro by the looks of it