Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll give it another try this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

sean10mm posted:

You can't assume that any random b550 or x570 board has a zen 3 bios already on it right now.

Older bios versions for those chipsets definitely did not have that agesa code.

OK thanks for correcting me; so if you have a b550 or x570 with current BIOS updates it should be fine for Zen 3 but ones in the wild probably won't have the necessary updates, so people should look for ones with BIOS flashback over USB. And the b450 boards aren't getting a Zen 3 BIOS update until January iirc.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

So I have had it up to here with trying to stream or dual-monitor Steam games to my big TV, and I was thinking about getting a small little NUC/mini-PC to run indie/low spec games. Hitting a stable 1080p/60fps is my preference, I don't care how it looks (within reason).

However, as this thought occurred to me, I also realized that it might also be useful for my gamedev job as well - functioning as a second machine to test netcode with, running games in Visual Studio with a debugger attached. Our games are also low-spec (think stuff like this or this), but when I broached the subject in our group chat someone recommended I get something with Vulkan 1.2 support.

I was fully prepared to spend $500-600 on a build. I was kind of shocked to find this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: ASRock DESKMINI A300W AMD Socket AM4 1 x HDMI Barebone System ($157.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $365.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-15 09:27 EDT-0400

Keeping in mind that this is not going to be my daily driver, is the best I can do at around this price point and form factor? How would it compare to an Intel NUC or something similar?

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 15, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hey dude n dudettes, i've been tasked with building a work POOTEr for our secretary. Rightfully so, its old as poo poo. Runs XP and is OLD AS poo poo. Being the "IT GUY" aka "SON WHO PLAYS VIDEO GAMES" its now my yob to build one within reason.

So, I'mma post some parts/list lemme know if anything looks bad or have any suggestion for other parts. What i'm looking for is; HARDDRIVE space. Possibly 1tb or more. SPEED. Years of files to look thru and some large scale imgs to look up. NOT OLD AS poo poo. Very important is the last one. No games will be played on this at all or anything like that.

Budget Work Computer:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9cyf8J

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

MOBO:MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

MEMORY:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

STOARGE:Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

CASE:Antec P7 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case

POWER SUPPLY:EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

OPTICAL DRIVE:Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I'm not sure that case has an oppening for an optical drive...I gotta look into that...Also, do I need a gpu? I prob do dont i

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 15, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For just an office computer you're better off with a prebuilt usually. Also you'll need some sort of gpu for any AMD processor that doesn't end in G since you can't get any video out otherwise.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Some Goon posted:

For just an office computer you're better off with a prebuilt usually. Also you'll need some sort of gpu for any AMD processor that doesn't end in G since you can't get any video out otherwise.

The thing is alot of places have pre-builts for double the price or charge $600 for extremely low end specs. I figured I could build one with parts and still be under budget.

Thru in a cheap EVGA GeForce GT 1030 2 GB SC Low Profile gpu

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YDRFf7/evga-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-sc-low-profile-video-card-02g-p4-6333-kr

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 15, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hey dude n dudettes, i've been tasked with building a work POOTEr for our secretary. Rightfully so, its old as poo poo. Runs XP and is OLD AS poo poo. Being the "IT GUY" aka "SON WHO PLAYS VIDEO GAMES" its now my yob to build one within reason.

So, I'mma post some parts/list lemme know if anything looks bad or have any suggestion for other parts. What i'm looking for is; HARDDRIVE space. Possibly 1tb or more. SPEED. Years of files to look thru and some large scale imgs to look up. NOT OLD AS poo poo. Very important is the last one. No games will be played on this at all or anything like that.

Budget Work Computer:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9cyf8J

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

MOBO:MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

MEMORY:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

STOARGE:Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

CASE:Antec P7 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case

POWER SUPPLY:EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

OPTICAL DRIVE:Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I'm not sure that case has an oppening for an optical drive...I gotta look into that...Also, do I need a gpu? I prob do dont i

Do not buy a 3.5” hdd.

Get like a 2.5” 2tb ssd. Or 1tb on top of the spinning drive.

If eliminating slow is your primary goal, this is your most important part.

That being said, buy a prebuilt or refurbished workstation (or a decommissioned one if you can find one), then throw in extra ram and ssd, bam you’re done.

Edit: what is your budget. You still haven’t said.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kingnothing posted:

Do not buy a 3.5” hdd.

Get like a 2.5” 2tb ssd. Or 1tb on top of the spinning drive.

If eliminating slow is your primary goal, this is your most important part.

That being said, buy a prebuilt or refurbished workstation (or a decommissioned one if you can find one), then throw in extra ram and ssd, bam you’re done.

hmm yeah ok. Thanks.

The Frys electronics closed recently and that was where we bought a few refurbed computers. I guess I'll look around some major retailers and upgrade from there. Anyone know a good place to look for pre-builts? I guess amazon?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

hmm yeah ok. Thanks.

The Frys electronics closed recently and that was where we bought a few refurbed computers. I guess I'll look around some major retailers and upgrade from there. Anyone know a good place to look for pre-builts? I guess amazon?

Newegg typically. Or eBay. Go to Newegg and go to the desktop pc section and use the filters to get what you want. Just ignore HDD and ram cause those are inexpensive and you’ll likely wanna upgrade those anyway.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

hmm yeah ok. Thanks.

If you are dead set on building something like this is going to be better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($138.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($107.89 @ Office Depot)
Memory: *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Patriot Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($50.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: *Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $453.82
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-15 17:42 EDT-0400

Add in a slow HDD if actually necessary. Or bump that one up to 1TB and call it a day. Figure out how much space of files they actually will be going through.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kingnothing posted:

Newegg typically. Or eBay. Go to Newegg and go to the desktop pc section and use the filters to get what you want. Just ignore HDD and ram cause those are inexpensive and you’ll likely wanna upgrade those anyway.

Awesome. Thanks for the help I'll check out NewEgg and see what I can get and make better.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If you are dead set on building something like this is going to be better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($138.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($107.89 @ Office Depot)
Memory: *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Patriot Burst 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($50.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: *Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $453.82
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-15 17:42 EDT-0400

Add in a slow HDD if actually necessary. Or bump that one up to 1TB and call it a day. Figure out how much space of files they actually will be going through.

I mean I'm not, just thought I could get something better then a prebuilt. But this also helps too. In the end the BOSSMAN decided what we get anyway

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Does anyone have any input on this Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD that is on sale for $160 today at Newegg as a main OS/Photoshop/Lightroom drive? Granted, the PCIe 4.0 is probably overkill right now for the OS, but the price is good, it's TLC, and the extra speed isn't a bad thing.

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 15, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Samadhi posted:

Does anyone have any input on this Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD that is on sale for $160 today at Newegg as a main OS drive? Granted, the PCIe 4.0 is probably overkill right now for the OS, but the price is good, it's TLC, and the extra speed isn't a bad thing.

Its controller isn't good enough to even use the PCIe 4.0 bandwidth properly and it doesn't consistently beat better PCIe 3.0 drives in all benchmarks.

It's not bad but its PCIe 4.0 support is kind of mediocre. The Rocket 4.0 plus coming out is going to be way better, at least on paper.

This is true of all the current PCIe 4.0 m.2 drives that I know of, to be clear.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have Meshify-C case, Ryzen 3700x, and a 3080FE. Right now I have the stock fans and an extra 120mm that I had laying around in it.

Would a Noctua NF-A12 120mm for rear, 2x NF-A14 140mm front, and an Arctic Liquid Freezer II make sense?

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 15, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Its controller isn't good enough to even use the PCIe 4.0 bandwidth properly and it doesn't consistently beat better PCIe 3.0 drives in all benchmarks.

It's not bad but its PCIe 4.0 support is kind of mediocre. The Rocket 4.0 plus coming out is going to be way better, at least on paper.

This is true of all the current PCIe 4.0 m.2 drives that I know of, to be clear.

Thanks, sean. I will hold off until the next gen M.2 drives come out. You as always are a voice of reason

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Samadhi posted:

Thanks, sean. I will hold off until the next gen M.2 drives come out. You as always are a voice of reason

I mean game loading benchmarks are kind of all over the place in general, but in this series of tests the Rocket 4.0 is basically in the middle of the pack most of the time and is basically indistinguishable from the bargain SN550 model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COofLeqk_tM

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

phosdex posted:

I have Meshify-C case, Ryzen 3700x, and a 3080FE. Right now I have the stock fans and an extra 120mm that I had laying around in it.

Would a Noctua NF-A12 120mm for rear, 2x NF-A14 140mm front, and an Arctic Liquid Freezer II make sense?
hell yeah it would

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, light video/photo editing
What's your budget? Anywhere from $1300-$1500 I live near a Microcenter as well
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Currently have a 1440p/144hz monitor. Would like the games to look good and get high frames.

Finally got a 3080 today from Best Buy so I am ready to get the rest of my parts. I already have the Power Supply and the SSD as well.

Is the 3700x going to be good enough for the 3080? Also what kind of fans should I pick up? I don't want any RGB stuff. Is 32GB of ram overkill?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $841.95

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Harry Privates posted:

Finally got a 3080 today from Best Buy so I am ready to get the rest of my parts. I already have the Power Supply and the SSD as well.

Now in stock sent me a notification 10 minutes after it sold out. How are folks getting these?

3700x is fine, but the new 5000 series looks pretty promising and a bit more expensive. Not sure it'll be a huge difference at your resolution though really, but I'm in the same boat and am waiting for benchmarks before buying. 32gb ram probably is overkill currently but it's cheap if you want to not have to worry about it for a bit.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 16, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

phosdex posted:

I can confirm that the noctua NF-A14s push/pull like double the air of the stock fractal fans. They’re a lot noisier at full speed but they rarely hit that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

I can confirm that the noctua NF-A14s push/pull like double the air of the stock fractal fans. They’re a lot noisier at full speed but they rarely hit that.

Ok thanks. Going to order this stuff and become the pro gamer I always knew I was.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Someone online had a build similar to the one above that I slapped together: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VxRkcf

In particular, I'm curious about the Motherboard: I guess I'm not really sure how much power I need in a motherboard. This one looks pretty highly rated: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WKdrxr/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi, should I go for it?

I guess I mostly just need to keep an eye out for a 3080.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 16, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

When are we expecting DRAM/NAND prices to drop? Am I wrong to suggest that we could maybe see 1TB 2.5" SATA SSDs for $49 by Black Friday?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

teagone posted:

When are we expecting DRAM/NAND prices to drop? Am I wrong to suggest that we could maybe see 1TB 2.5" SATA SSDs for $49 by Black Friday?

I would not expect that. I know they're supposed to fall but that's almost a 50% price cut.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Now in stock sent me a notification 10 minutes after it sold out. How are folks getting these?

Hop in this Discord and sign up for alerts: https://discord.gg/f3BWE7

It won't guarantee you'll get one, but at least you'll know within a minute or so of sick being available. There's usually a bunch of people in the Discord that are able to get some cards. The other option is to use your own bot.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Is there a favorite cheap micro atx case, bonus points for no lights / windows / etc. I'd like to spend around $50 shipped (US).

Dantax
May 8, 2008
For a cheap micro atx case, I've got a Cooler Master N200 right now. I like it enough to get another for my next build. Useful if you're still rocking a DVD drive.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Thoughts on fractal focus g cases? Key difference vs meshify seems to be price and having external bays that require lower fan positions. And being on sale for $40 shipped.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If you live near a Microcenter they have some pretty crazy Intel CPU deals right now, $299 9900k and $199 9700k.

https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966995,4294820689/intel-processors

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

If you live near a Microcenter they have some pretty crazy Intel CPU deals right now, $299 9900k and $199 9700k.

Must... resist...urge to future proof a DD4 platform.

:ohdearsass:

Edit: PCI express 3.0 talked me out of it. I’m still going to have to upgrade it when the 4000 series comes out anyway in 2 years anyway.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 16, 2020

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

D1Sergo posted:

Someone online had a build similar to the one above that I slapped together: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VxRkcf

In particular, I'm curious about the Motherboard: I guess I'm not really sure how much power I need in a motherboard. This one looks pretty highly rated: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WKdrxr/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi, should I go for it?

Is this Motherboard worth it? There's one in stock on Amazon, highly debating it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

For the $220 MSRP the Tomahak is really good, but I wouldn't pay scalping prices for one.

The only problem with it is that some cheaper B550 boards are exactly as good for most (but not all) people.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Tempting for sure, but I think I'd still go with a B550/3600 combo and get the $20 off that. No chance of a CPU upgrade later and whatnot. Still it's tempting...

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
So being the expert of foresight that I am, I didn't realise my new stopgap EVGA 2070S wouldn't fit into my current corsair 250D, so it looks like I'm buying my new case now, rather than in november.

Importantly, I need to be able to remount my h100i V2 cooler on it, but the v2 version doesn't seem to exist on the partspicker website. I'd just assume that the V1 compatibility applies, but the site seems to think the cooler is compatible with my current 250d, which is actually isn't, since I had to drill two holes in the case to get enough clearance above the mobo heatsinks to attach the fans (sounds messy but it eventually fit and worked fine)

This time around I've decided on a mid atx with some more breathing room, but still not some enormous eyesore. I like a case with a more subdued look and thought the fractal design meshify C looked pretty neat, but I've seen several reviews saying it's cramped etc.

So basically any recommendations on which case I should go for that's got a good amount of room for a long videocard, and can support the cooler, but isn't some enormous thing that's going to split my desk in two?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rookoo posted:

So being the expert of foresight that I am, I didn't realise my new stopgap EVGA 2070S wouldn't fit into my current corsair 250D, so it looks like I'm buying my new case now, rather than in november.

Importantly, I need to be able to remount my h100i V2 cooler on it, but the v2 version doesn't seem to exist on the partspicker website. I'd just assume that the V1 compatibility applies, but the site seems to think the cooler is compatible with my current 250d, which is actually isn't, since I had to drill two holes in the case to get enough clearance above the mobo heatsinks to attach the fans (sounds messy but it eventually fit and worked fine)

This time around I've decided on a mid atx with some more breathing room, but still not some enormous eyesore. I like a case with a more subdued look and thought the fractal design meshify C looked pretty neat, but I've seen several reviews saying it's cramped etc.

So basically any recommendations on which case I should go for that's got a good amount of room for a long videocard, and can support the cooler, but isn't some enormous thing that's going to split my desk in two?

I wanted a subdued look from the front and tons of room for a top radiator.

500D non RGB is what I went with that ticks all your boxes except it might be too big.

Watch someone build in your case with a rad if you can no mater what you go with.

Saved my rear end to learn my tall ram would not fit the shorter 4000 series corsair cases with my top radiator.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
500d might actually be okay to be honest, I think i'm mentally comparing my current mini case with the big full atx one i had before, which was so big it was an irritation. I imagine most mid cases will be acceptable (if they have the room) i'll definitely look into the 500d.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

sean10mm posted:

For the $220 MSRP the Tomahak is really good, but I wouldn't pay scalping prices for one.

The only problem with it is that some cheaper B550 boards are exactly as good for most (but not all) people.

Hm whichever cheaper one I was looking at has now disappeared. Still debating it, but I'm not sure how powerful a mobo I need. I'm trying to find something for gaming and unreal engine/Game Design/VfX.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rookoo posted:

500d might actually be okay to be honest, I think i'm mentally comparing my current mini case with the big full atx one i had before, which was so big it was an irritation. I imagine most mid cases will be acceptable (if they have the room) i'll definitely look into the 500d.

Unfortunately people gave it bad airflow reviews because they tested just the 2 stock fans or they were confused by the top of the case which actually is designed to let air come out effectively.

The front of the case also has sound dampening foam so it’s not just cosmetic.

The only negatives I’ve had is that it was not fun to manage the cables considering I’m running three dedicated GPU power cables up that single cable management bar. I was able to do it though.

It shames you into managing your cables but then again I’m never going to have to deal with the “shove the side of my computer as hard as I can” game to close the back side.

One of my glass panels didn’t seem to rest fully against it’s rubber spacer but 5-10 layers of black tape completely fixed that by putting it on the inside of the aluminum part of the glass panel.

I’ve been posting thermals in the overclocking thread.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 16, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

D1Sergo posted:

Hm whichever cheaper one I was looking at has now disappeared. Still debating it, but I'm not sure how powerful a mobo I need. I'm trying to find something for gaming and unreal engine/Game Design/VfX.

B550 vs X570 has zero performance difference in anything unless you're comparing the cheapest B550 to like the X570 Tomahawk, or want fractionally better overclocking (which is kind of a waste with Ryzen anyway)

X570 is really for if you need to connect shitloads of SATA and PCIe devices simultaneously because B550 has some constraints there, but those are irrelevant if you're doing 1 graphics card + a few drives like most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Dantax posted:

For a cheap micro atx case, I've got a Cooler Master N200 right now. I like it enough to get another for my next build. Useful if you're still rocking a DVD drive.

Harold Fjord posted:

Thoughts on fractal focus g cases? Key difference vs meshify seems to be price and having external bays that require lower fan positions. And being on sale for $40 shipped.

One of these should do quite nicely, thanks.