Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Catzilla posted:

It seems Noel Fielding seems to have a genuine rapport with contestants whereas Matt Lucas seems to just treat them as a straight man to his jokes

Sort of. At one point in the episode last week Lottie basically begged Noel to gently caress off and leave her alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Hellooooo I ehm a layyyddeee gay tingtong in the vullage ooooooo old gregg mangina!!! LoL RaNdOm!!! god they're both twats :mad:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
I don't watch GBBO, but I find Noel quite watchable in panel appearances (especially with a good foil) and Lukas completely insufferable in anything and everything I have seen him in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Still mad that despite knowing Taskmaster returns on the 15th that I didn’t realise that wasn’t a Wednesday, and my plans to watch a new episode were scuppered. How dare they mess with tradition!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

I don't watch GBBO, but I find Noel quite watchable in panel appearances (especially with a good foil) and Lukas completely insufferable in anything and everything I have seen him in.

I remember watching Mighty Boosh and thinking it was good. I mean, not brilliant or anything, but I watched it. Tried to watch a couple episodes with my teenager and caught myself before saying "it gets better," because I couldn't be sure it did.

I have vague memories of Little Britain, maybe slightly less vague than my memories of League of Gentlemen. I think I'm going to leave both in the past.

I'm not sure why GBBO went with two goofballs instead of putting a straight man in there for them to work off. I will say this: Matt Lucas has a million dollar narrative voice. The GBBO voice-overs this series are almost hypnotic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
He did two weird bits about attacking paul this week, they were awkward and it didn't feel like the contestant needed to be there

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

fischtick posted:

I remember watching Mighty Boosh and thinking it was good. I mean, not brilliant or anything, but I watched it. Tried to watch a couple episodes with my teenager and caught myself before saying "it gets better," because I couldn't be sure it did.

Boosh fan here, It did not. Series 3 is still shite in my eyes.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The chemistry is weird because both Fielding and Lucas are usually the wacky foils to someone else. Noel seems to be slipping into the straight man character to give Matt the punchlines. I think Matt looks really nervous and it comes across as try-hard, hopefully he'll relax over time.

Personally I think Bake Off should always have at least one British lesbian as a host.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I hate both Boosh and Little Britain, but Noel is weirdly good at talking to contestants, and Matt Lucas was weirdly excellent on Doctor Who.

The low-key surrealism of the intro skits is pretty great though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like the Noel/Matt chemistry, and I feel like Noel had a hand in Matt's getting the role. The digs at Paul are hilarious.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

Boosh fan here, It did not. Series 3 is still shite in my eyes.

It was definitely a flash in the pan thing. It had a unique style, at the perfect time on BBC3 that was trying to find the next big comedy.
It's the TV equivalent of a meme.

But Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy Show, or whatever it was called, that was pure and utter poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Indeed, it was a product of it's time. I still enjoy moments of the show but I really regret getting the 3rd series as it just has a ghastly desperation to it now.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Boosh radio show is worth checking for sure.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The opening shot of socially distanced Taskmaster is very funny.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Red Oktober posted:

Boosh radio show is worth checking for sure.

Same for Mitchell and Webb.

Any other UK radio comedy series anyone can recommend? Would love to get some.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I was a big fan of The Consultants.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I liked The Department but it’s an acquired taste apparently. Andy Zaltzman/John Oliver/Chris Addison run a fictional government department and have to fix problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/the_department.shtml

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Weird, but the Taskmaster official channel just has uploaded series 10 ep 1 on Youtube. So soon.

Here it is, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WUDzu5cVCY

Edit: VVV Sucks, sorry to hear. Watching it here in Ireland, strange its not restricted here.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 15, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Region restricted to no surprise, I'm hoping my DVR attempt has worked so I can watch when I get home from work. Eek!

Testro
May 2, 2009
Radio show wise, I enjoyed Absolute Power. It's a satire on the PR industry in the New Labour era (early 2000s). It stars Stephen Fry and John Bird - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cjsgz

The writer, Mark Tavener, hit the headlines in the wake of the Hutton report when the BBC cut some lines about Tony Blair:

A new series of Radio 4's Absolute Power had faced postponement of its first episode because Stephen Fry's character, PR man Charles Prentiss, said there was "nothing he could teach the Prime Minister about deception, manipulation and lying - except how to do it properly".

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/bbc-cuts-liar-blair-line-6976706.html

Worth a listen. S2 is my favourite.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

happyhippy posted:

Cabin Pressure with Benedict Cumberbatch, Roger Allam, Stephanie Cole and John Finnemore as the crew of a one-plane airline is very good.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

New Taskmaster is better than its been for a long while. The lineup for this series is excellent.

happyhippy posted:

If panel shows count, then So Wrong It's Right and The Unbelievable Truth are both good listening.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Angstrom wasn't exactly on the same level as The Department already mentioned here, but it's still worth a listen.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Captain Mediocre posted:

New Taskmaster is better than its been for a long while. The lineup for this series is excellent.

I thought strict Greg was going to ruin the episode. It made it even more hilarious. But I hope it's not a season long bit. Arguing over points is a good part of the other seasons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like Greg being strict, and I agree he was ridiculously forgiving in the last few seasons and would just throw out points for no reason. It'll get old fast if every task ends with everyone getting zero points though.

It definitely feels like the delay and probably moving to C4 has given them a shot in the arm. And I agree the mix of contestants is great. Richard Herring is genuinely a bit pathetic in a way that's impossible not to like.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I love that Rich Herring was talking to Alex Horne on his podcast like three years ago practically begging to be on the show and it’s taken this long for it to happen lmao

Lemon
May 22, 2003

stev posted:

Richard Herring is genuinely a bit pathetic in a way that's impossible not to like.

tbh that's been his whole thing for the last decade or so

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Another amusing moment from RHLSTP. In the unbelievably awkward episode where Rich’s wife Catie was a guest (as part of the Drunk Women Solving Crimes team) he asked:

“What’s it like being married to Britain’s best comedy podcaster?”

“Yes it’s wonderful being married to Adam Buxton”

On reflection it’s so perfect that they probably planned it, but it’s very on brand for Rich’s persona

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

One Swell Foop posted:

Cabin Pressure with Benedict Cumberbatch, Roger Allam, Stephanie Cole and John Finnemore as the crew of a one-plane airline is very good.

I'm so glad you posted this, because I was about to recommend it except I had the name wrong and was going to say it was Come Fly With Me. That would have been.... unfortunate.

I also liked 'Daphne Sounds Expensive', a sketch comedy, and a bunch more that I'll post as a remember.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

happyhippy posted:

Edit: VVV Sucks, sorry to hear. Watching it here in Ireland, strange its not restricted here.

We get Channel 4 and their player, whatever it's called now, here, I guess that's why?

happyhippy posted:

If you are into music, The Blagger's Guide is great.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Never have I experienced so much whiplash between "this guy's a genius" and "this guy's an idiot" than watching Mawaan doing the drink task last night...

I have a massive soft spot for an old BCC panel show called The 99p Challenge, worth giving it a try.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heavy_D posted:

Never have I experienced so much whiplash between "this guy's a genius" and "this guy's an idiot" than watching Mawaan doing the drink task last night...

I have a massive soft spot for an old BCC panel show called The 99p Challenge, worth giving it a try.

Helium. Egg.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Heavy_D posted:

It had some really good panel guests.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Mawaan's attempt to pick up the phone box and inflate an egg had me belly laughing. It's only one episode in but it already feels like the best lineup in years.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1317088248716496896?s=19

Wow, I had assume Dinenage had retired, he was a fixture of my childhood from How 2 and the Meridian area news (seems he still presents South Today)

He was the local news icon. Or the non-ironic one, Michael Fish was from our way too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He looks like death while presenting ITV South news. Big bald head, but long hair down the sides like the Cryptkeeper. On the plus side, while he’s been presenting from home, you usually see his dog. :3:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
No mention of Gaz Top, I follow him on social media and hes been saying he was trying to get How 2 back for ages but couldn't get the funding for it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is threateningly Welsh.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

He looks like death while presenting ITV South news. Big bald head, but long hair down the sides like the Cryptkeeper. On the plus side, while he’s been presenting from home, you usually see his dog. :3:

I've still got a video somewhere of my dad, with a very late-70s/early-80s afro, running him over in a hovercraft live on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I assume Dinenage is a prick because his daughter is a Tory MP
Poor Gaz Top.