Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Midjack posted:

You can build a string of mailboxes and set music on them but sadly iPods are a lost technology and there’s no chiral Spotify yet.

Not only that, but the PS4 version blocks you from using the real Spotify during the game. That's just unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Sony have always been lovely about music licenses seeing as they own so many of them.

I remember some car game where once upon a time you could start the game, remove the disc, insert whatever audio CD and use that for music.

Until online play and therefore effectively broadcasting music became possible then they nixxed it.

Another would listen to a CD and create a starting monster based on what it heard which seems a very Hideo thing to do.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Me and missus finally finished the game and loved it, even if the ending went Full Kojima. I'm already missing our sessions of chilling out and just laying down some infrastructure or delivering pizza. We delivered all the pizzas. We loved the easter egg.

I'm pretty sure DS is one of those games that make the top 10 lists of all Serious Game Writers in twenty years time because It Proved Games Could Be Art or something. I don't mind, Kojima succeeded in doing what he was after and I loved getting taken along for the ride.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I just picked this back up after a couple of months and I made the delivery to the timefall farm. At what point do I really start having to worry about building roads/structures and keeping vehicles around? I like the game, but not enough to constantly backtrack and take care of every optional delivery. So far I'm just plowing forward with little reason to ever head backwards unless my path totally sucked. I've barely even put down any ladders or climbing anchors. Does building ever integrate into forward progression or is it more for folks who really want to luxuriate in the game?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

bear named tators posted:

I just picked this back up after a couple of months and I made the delivery to the timefall farm. At what point do I really start having to worry about building roads/structures and keeping vehicles around? I like the game, but not enough to constantly backtrack and take care of every optional delivery. So far I'm just plowing forward with little reason to ever head backwards unless my path totally sucked. I've barely even put down any ladders or climbing anchors. Does building ever integrate into forward progression or is it more for folks who really want to luxuriate in the game?

You're not connected to the network until you visit those settlements anyway, so any path you make will pretty quickly be redundant once all the other stuff comes online because of what other people have left around. If you pack right, I usually took 3 climbing ropes and 2 ladders for a new path, you don't technically need to any of the non story stuff, although some of the upgrades do make leveling the settlements worth it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I would think the game would be both a lot harder and a lot more boring without the perks that raising connection levels through deliveries and building infrastructure gives. The highways are perhaps the most important quality of life improvement but also the biggest investment time and resource wise.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

barbecue at the folks posted:

I would think the game would be both a lot harder and a lot more boring without the perks that raising connection levels through deliveries and building infrastructure gives. The highways are perhaps the most important quality of life improvement but also the biggest investment time and resource wise.

This is true also, you could research what upgrades provide the greatest benefit to you and focus those. My recommendation would be any of the exo-skeleton upgrades, power or speed or climbing (can't remember what last one is called). The power is easy to do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

screaden posted:

This is true also, you could research what upgrades provide the greatest benefit to you and focus those. My recommendation would be any of the exo-skeleton upgrades, power or speed or climbing (can't remember what last one is called). The power is easy to do.

All Terrain. Available from the Roboticist.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

I buy that I guess I still don't quite get how all the systems come together.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Matthew Matosis just did a nice lengthy review of Death Stranding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4Jh1xcOEs

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

After going on the long loop around to the Elder, Engineer, then to the Craftsman, there was no way I was going back the way I came and oh wow was it heaven-sent to find a partially built road. Since then, I prioritize building back the roads for everyone else so hard.

Just finished that last section to South Knot City and oooooooh wheeeeee do I feel safe to take on orders again. The way stations I built by the Junk Dealer are still nifty to reach that side of the map, but now I finally feel like I can fill out middle America.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shinmera posted:

Matthew Matosis just did a nice lengthy review of Death Stranding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4Jh1xcOEs

I found myself disagreeing with this one a lot not because the more critical view is illegitimate but because it seems poorly considered, which is a shame because I really respect Matthewmatosis' ability to think critically among his fellow Long Form Video Game Review Critique Analysis youtubers.

Mainly I don't think it's detrimental that Death Stranding becomes more traditional of a gaming experience as it goes on, because it takes major steps along the way to make you feel like you've earned it. You always have to do things the hard way on your first time through an area or setpiece: Other players' structures don't appear until an area is connected to the network, you don't unlock the Bola Gun until you've manually snuck through or dismantled multiple MULE camps, the first Cliff segment is a surprise and so you have to scrounge for weapons whereas the second one lets you know way in advance that it's coming, and so on. imo the game teeters on the edge of the so-called "yeah I get it" cliff when it comes to making you do tedious or non-standard gaming 'things' to show how different it can be, and personally I never felt it spilled over.

edit: I was also surprised that he criticized the game for having niche items with a specific purpose like the Oxygen Mask in the same breath as comparing the game to Metal Gear, which has tons of items made with a specific purpose which can also be utilized in creative or understated (but surely intentional) ways. Maybe he didn't try wearing it around BTs.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 14, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Maybe he didn't try wearing it around BTs.

...gently caress me running.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm working on platinuming this game and I was wondering if bot deliveries counted toward the delivery achievement where you have to deliver 10/20 of the four types of deliveries.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

...gently caress me running.

Weird part about the oxygen mask is he can still put his hand up to his face to quiet himself until he passes outf?? I guess cover the vents or something? Whatever

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm starting to get reports of deteriorating ziplines back on the east side of the central region and I really should keep them all repaired until I at least finish the pizza delivery missions but honestly there's a pretty good reason ziplines get given to you when you've already been up the mountain, because causing avalanches hitting the "callout" button while ripping above the snowy peaks loving RULES.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm starting to get reports of deteriorating ziplines back on the east side of the central region and I really should keep them all repaired until I at least finish the pizza delivery missions but honestly there's a pretty good reason ziplines get given to you when you've already been up the mountain, because causing avalanches hitting the "callout" button while ripping above the snowy peaks loving RULES.

I had no idea you could cause avalanches by shouting :allears:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

causing avalanches hitting the "callout" button while ripping above the snowy peaks loving RULES.

omg what

I might have to boot up DS later

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can you disrupt BT areas that way?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Cowman posted:

I'm working on platinuming this game and I was wondering if bot deliveries counted toward the delivery achievement where you have to deliver 10/20 of the four types of deliveries.

If it's the trophy I'm thinking of, then no because bots can't get S rank.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Missed opportunity not putting any MULE/Terrorist camps in the mountains honestly, being able to strategically shout to drop boulders on em would've been awesome.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Wow, really? Like snow avalanches? I remember seeing rocks tumbling down the hills from time to time but never snow avalanches. I really need to start playing again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cowman posted:

No. The bots kind of suck in general.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Midjack posted:

No. The bots kind of suck in general.

drat I figured as much. What's the best place/route to grind this out quickly? I just have miscellaneous and timed to do (5 and 10 respectively).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cowman posted:

drat I figured as much. What's the best place/route to grind this out quickly? I just have miscellaneous and timed to do (5 and 10 respectively).

The easiest time one to cheese is Doctor to Mountaineer when you have Zip Lines and there are a couple of others in the central area that are a snap with roads. There’s one from Distro Center to Wind Farm in the east that’s also east when you build zip lines to the wind farm, you have to mess around a bit but you can place zip lines to get through the trees. For miscellaneous just deliver all the loose packages you find on the ground.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Didn't think of it before but I'm kinda curious what happens if you bring a human NPC into the snow or cause an avalanche. I know both have unique smoke grenade coughing animations. :angel:

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

bear named tators posted:

I buy that I guess I still don't quite get how all the systems come together.

Ha, the very next mission had me going way, way back and suddenly the need to build roads was very real.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

edit: I was also surprised that he criticized the game for having niche items with a specific purpose like the Oxygen Mask in the same breath as comparing the game to Metal Gear, which has tons of items made with a specific purpose which can also be utilized in creative or understated (but surely intentional) ways. Maybe he didn't try wearing it around BTs.

I'm sorry what? That's a thing you can do??

Cowman posted:

I had no idea you could cause avalanches by shouting :allears:

I'm sorry what now??? That's a thing you can do?!?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's a thing you can do?!?
A Hideo Kojima Career

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I started playing this again after putting it down for about 6 months to do other things and play other games. I was at chapter 6 I think: where you lose access to BB, can't see BT's. My issue is that I've forgotten how you get resources. I had built a road up to the Waystation before the Northern Distribution Center (or a name similar to that) and it just seems like building roads is more expensive than I remember, or it gets more expensive as the game progresses. I know that you can pick up random stuff and recycle it, or find raw materials on the ground or in camps, but do friendly stations generate their own resources at all? If I claim all the materials from a place does it just stay empty forever? The whole 'any materials overspent will be wasted' thing is really annoying.

What causes the formation of chiral crystals? They seem to just appear randomly as I walk around. I've also forgotten if there is a serious penalty for killing other human enemies or not so I've fought off MULEs with non lethal weapons for now (creates more BT activity? I seem to recall a character mentioning you have to incinerate the dead bodies before they decompose? I don't think I have actually killed anyone yet unless it was related to a story mission). I did get chased in the wetlands area while in a truck and ran a bunch of guys over, but luckily they all got knocked out.

I also have no idea how the star ranking system works and if that effects my game at all, or if it's an online only thing.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
-Resources are generated continuously by all friendly stations. You can just clear them out whenever you want at no cost, although of course you have to be able to carry the resources. You can also clear out MULE camps and get a truckload or two of ceramics and metals, which is worth it when you're working on the highway system. Note that an area's highways get significantly cheaper after you hook that area up to the chiral network, because resources spent by other players in their own games start leaking into your roads.

-Chiral crystals form around BTs. You can make them spawn by defeating BTs, and get loads and loads for beating one of those BT bosses. Like the other resources, they are generated in friendly stations and can be removed whenever you visit (and unlike the other resources, you can carry unlimited amounts of them without penalty).

-Don't kill people. I'm not super clear on the mechanics; I think some kills require you to deliver the body to an incinerator while others are an immediate game-over. Honestly it's pretty hard to kill people unless you set out to do it.

-You get stars for fulfilling the criteria the client asked for. Almost always, the cargo needs to be in a good condition. Some requests give you a good rating based on speed; some do it based on quantity. The better rating you get in a delivery, the more likes the destination gives you, which allows you to level that outpost up faster. Also likes contribute to your overall level and stats, but the stations are the main thing.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Krazyface posted:

-Chiral crystals form around BTs. You can make them spawn by defeating BTs, and get loads and loads for beating one of those BT bosses. Like the other resources, they are generated in friendly stations and can be removed whenever you visit (and unlike the other resources, you can carry unlimited amounts of them without penalty).

I guess I'll go get intentionally caught and murder some bosses for crystals then.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly, you never really need to. I was just fussy about picking up floor-crystals, and occasionally cleaning out stations when I passed through, and I never had to think about farming them or anything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Going BT hunting is pretty fun though, and lets you interact with the game in a way that you hardly ever get to. Chop that stupid tar squid up into calamari! :black101:

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Cowman posted:

There isn't much of a quick way, sadly, as a delivery you've completed already doesn't count towards the trophy and deliveries available isn't something you can easily predict. For what it's worth, I got the trophy very shortly before getting five stars at every location; it takes a really, really long time.

Edit: also, it's said above that delivering dropped/abandoned cargo contributes to the miscellaneous category, but it doesn't: miscellaneous deliveries are the 'go to a circled area, pick up cargo, bring it back' deliveries.

neetz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 19, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Just wanted to stop by and say this is still the coolest game and also gently caress Kojima for using his stupid rear end future powers to curse us all.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If you plan on platting it play on hard if you're just doing routine deliveries, especially if you're doing it by truck anyway. Difficulty only matters when you're fighting people.

If you get S rank on hard it counts towards an achievement that playing on medium just won't, you also get a point bonus IIRC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Real pros play on Very Hard and delete their save file if they get anything less than SSS Legend of Legend of Legends on every delivery

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

This part here is really annoying for rebuilding roads. I hope a person appears at some point in the future because there are 3 or 4 pavers in there which are off the network and require like 7k - 9k ceramics each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
That's the novelists son who opens up for available incoming and outgoing deliveries once you pick up some lost cargo of his and give it to him. That's also the point where roads got crazy expensive so I just made ziplines instead. Don't know if his first lost cargo drops are random or not but I found it pretty close to the distro centre