Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Exactly two S ranks are like that and S ranks in previous games have always meant marriage.

So it's kinda weird that they decided to change it in Three Houses for exactly two supports.

Technically not true.

In the Japanese releases of Awakening and Fates, this was the case (although 2 games make for slightly thin precedent) but in the localized version of Awakening, any S rank between cousins was (theoretically) rendered platonic instead, with... mixed success. (Owain and Lucina's whole S rank support was rewritten to be only a bit Les Cousins Dangereux. Meanwhile, Morgan and Inigo's support still has Inigo loudly declare "drat it, Morgan! I'm in love with you!", and having the status screen read "partners" doesn't make things any less Edward of Woodstock.)

Fates went considerably further, with most of Percy and Kana's S ranks being rendered non-romantic due to them being 12, and Soleil's "flirts with girls, marries guys" schtick in Japan was mostly replaced with her barely being able to marry anyone.

In theory, in a game without kids, S rank just being "Most important relationship, determines ending" could be a perfectly viable solution. But conveying that to the player can be tricky, and clearly signposting which S ranks mean "Marriage" and which ones mean "Best friends for life" is vital. Especially since a lot of people writing thinkpieces and complaining about supports talk like "loving?(Yes/no)" is the only important question about two characters's relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Especially since a lot of people writing thinkpieces and complaining about supports talk like "loving?(Yes/no)" is the only important question about two characters' relationship.
I kinda feel a little sad about them. But only kinda.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like the variance in 3H endings for characters other than Byleth. You've got some who get married or are in love, some who are close friends, some who are street clowns together.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Speaking about kid characters and better writing, nuanced family, and LGBTQ representation, if they returned to another game with second gen kids stuff it would be decent if more of that wasn't just "every child is literally the pairings biological kid" nonsense throughout and actually represented stuff like adoption or raising kids together that are the result of past relationships. It would allow for gay pairings that aren't mechanically locked out of significance to the system mechanics like Awakening/Fates/Genealogy all set the game up to do, since they could still 'teach' their the kids their classes/skills/stat spread instead of everything being implied eugenics simulation.

My ideal return to this would also involve no time travel/pocket dimension nonsense and an actual time skip at least.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 15, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rimusutera posted:

Speaking about kid characters and better writing, nuanced family, and LGBTQ representation, if they returned to another game with second gen kids stuff it would be decent if more of that wasn't just "every child is literally the pairings biological kid" nonsense throughout and actually represented stuff like adoption or raising kids together that are the result of past relationships. It would allow for gay pairings that aren't mechanically locked out of significance to the system mechanics like Awakening/Fates/Genealogy all set the game up to do, since they could still 'teach' their the kids their classes/skills/stat spread instead of everything being implied eugenics simulation.

My ideal return to this would also involve no time travel/pocket dimension nonsense and an actual time skip at least.

Yeah, you could even do a 'half' generation skip where you pair people to train like apprentices/squires etc and the pairings could determine their teachers and therefore classes/aptitude etc.

That way you could skip over both the bio children bit without aging the main cast out of the story if you don't want.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SyntheticPolygon posted:

S ranks were a mistake.

Ike: …

Titania: Ike? What’s wrong? You seem… distant.

Ike: Titania… I'm worried that I’ll never live up to my father’s example. I’ll never be able to fill his shoes.

Titania: Just give it time, Ike. You’ve come so far already… sometimes, I can’t even believe how much. Your father would be proud of you. Trust me.

Ike: Thanks, but… that’s not what I meant.

Titania: Oh? What then?

Ike: Titania… the way that you felt about my father… one day, I want to be deserving enough for you to feel that way about me, too.

Titania: … !!!

Ike: I see that I’ve made you uncomfortable. Don’t worry. I won’t bring it up again.

[Ike leaves.]

Titania: Ike! Wait! … drat it, he’s gone. But I was never able to admit to Greil that I loved him… And now, it seems that history is destined to repeat itself. But how could I let this happen? How could I let myself come to feel this way about Ike? Oh, Greil, please forgive me…

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/a5qpsh/how_s_supports_ruin_everything_part_1_iketitania/

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
A curse upon your house for showing me this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rimusutera posted:

alt. they could just have a gay wizard give people gay biological kids.

i mean im not opposed to adoption and stuff thatd be fun but idk why people are so hung up on the gay = no biological kids thing

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I mean obviously you can "A Wizard Did It" and all but gay parents adopting or using surrogacy is just like... a real thing gay people do to have families? And its nice to see that represented in media.

Not doing all biological kids too lets them do nuanced stuff like that with the straight pairings and step parenthood too.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

alt. they could just have a gay wizard give people gay biological kids.

i mean im not opposed to adoption and stuff thatd be fun but idk why people are so hung up on the gay = no biological kids thing

Did you know that Fates, for some insane reason, decided to explain in-universe why you can use your friends corrins from their castles?

Corrin makes a life from clay using their bonds as power

Corrin has the power!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hate this.

Probably worse with Ike than most other lords. Because in a game with S ranks there's no way they'd let him be gay.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hate this.

Probably worse with Ike than most other lords. Because in a game with S ranks there's no way they'd let him be gay.

Don’t remind me...

Also there is just something extremely upsetting about Ike/Titania in particular outside of Ike being gay. (It’s the fact she’s his mother figure.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

rannum posted:

Did you know that Fates, for some insane reason, decided to explain in-universe why you can use your friends corrins from their castles?

Corrin makes a life from clay using their bonds as power

Corrin has the power!

The groundwork's basically there in Awakening too, for that matter. It's definitely well within the realm of what curse magic is shown as being capable of.

Is Ashe the first explicitly adopted character in the series? (Whatever the gently caress is going on in Fates doesn't count.) Lots of orphans with nebulous parental figures, and the Greil Mercs as a whole give off big found family vibes, but I don't remember if there's anything clear cut.
Fake Edit: Oh right, Corple/however the gently caress his name is being localised these days, plus Sharlow I guess. Also Mareeta, I think?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If Fate can make the absolutely most horny way Arturia is Mordred's father canon, so can FE. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

The groundwork's basically there in Awakening too, for that matter. It's definitely well within the realm of what curse magic is shown as being capable of.

Henry explicitly discusses this in a support iirc.

Basically magic gay babies are well within FE lore and tbh they’d solve problems beyond the “oh we can’t have gays because they need to have babies :(“ excuse. Looking at you, Priam.

(Note: I know there are many ways to explain Priam, it’s just that it would make the arguments less exhausting.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I like the "He's actually Mist's descendant" explanation just because of the Marth parallels. :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

soren: ike i want a ch--*aimee has already broken through the door*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Priam is the descendant of one of the greatest military men in the fire emblem universe. He weilds a sword. There is only one clear explanation for this.

He is of the line of Meg.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Is Ashe the first explicitly adopted character in the series? (Whatever the gently caress is going on in Fates doesn't count.) Lots of orphans with nebulous parental figures, and the Greil Mercs as a whole give off big found family vibes, but I don't remember if there's anything clear cut.
Fake Edit: Oh right, Corple/however the gently caress his name is being localised these days, plus Sharlow I guess. Also Mareeta, I think?
Yeah, Mareeta was adopted by Briggid. Though her biological dad's around at the end of the game, so who knows how that shakes out. Pent and Louise also adopted Erk, though he's also Pent's student so there's kind of a 50/50 going on there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Yeah, Mareeta was adopted by Briggid. Though her biological dad's around at the end of the game, so who knows how that shakes out.

We actually do know how that shakes out. Spoiler tags because at least one person who reads this thread is in the middle of their first playthrough:

Eyvel flat-out refuses to stop being Mareeta's mom, but requests that Galzus show up at least once a year to be in Mareeta's life

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Priam is the descendant of one of the greatest military men in the fire emblem universe. He weilds a sword. There is only one clear explanation for this.

He is of the line of Meg.

:hmmyes:

More seriously, "Priam is the descendant of a kid Ike and the boyfriend of your preference adopted" is my preferred explanation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah, Mareeta was adopted by Briggid. Though her biological dad's around at the end of the game, so who knows how that shakes out. Pent and Louise also adopted Erk, though he's also Pent's student so there's kind of a 50/50 going on there.

Iirc Deke from Binding Blade is pretty much their adopted son too who flaked a while ago because he felt like he was dragging down their reputation since he was an ex gladiator/slave.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly I feel like Alois's S support was originally romantic before they gave him an invisible wife. That A support is oddly flirtatious.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly I feel like Alois's S support was originally romantic before they gave him an invisible wife. That A support is oddly flirtatious.

i just kept yelling "HE'S M A R R I E D" at my screen in increasingly exasperated tones throughout the back half of his supports

none of his other supports or interactions are nearly as ridiculous so I can believe the byleth support was an older draft of Alois that got haphazardly edited.

That support would have been really great if after the C Rank it pivoted to (& stayed on) Alois awkwardly, but charmingly, trying to be your new dad and by S Rank reaffirming that you do want to see his family as yours or something akin to that. Lost your mother before you were born, lost your father before you could really reciprocate that relationship, you're not going to lose another if they wanted to be dramatic about it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'm doing a Birthright playthrough -inb4 Fates bad- and its really stressing to me all the fun elements of Fate's reclassing system to shine compared to how 3 Houses feels to me at the moment. Just having more damage stacking options that aren't so narrow like Death Blow and Fiendish Blow are in the latter makes planning out builds so much more engaging. I also really hope they play more with fun classes outside the stock Fire Emblem archetypes more. Stuff like Bow Thieves that promote to staff users, Spear Fighters, Basaras and all the interesting flier combos are my favourite things and they really gave each weapon type enough interesting classes to work with in contrast to... well, one Brawler line and one Archer line but like five branches for Axe wielders at launch.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the relative rarity of class change items in Thracia really bums me out. really the whole concept of limited promotion generally bums me out but especially in a game like thracia which encourages usage of large amounts of the cast, having to be careful who you ration them out to just makes me feel bad. like, i *know* it doesn't matter that much and units in thracia can be just fine in combat without promotion even but i want to see all my babies achieve their final form!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

their final form is usually a sprite thats two pixels different and the ability to use a weapon theyll never use

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i don't care i need it!!!!

you're right though, the battle sprites in thracia all look awfully similar. i feel like genealogy didn't have that problem? i wonder what's up with that

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 18, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thracia battle sprites have more muted palettes and thracia has more classes

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i feel like there might also be something like they intentionally restricted themselves from having anyone look too flashy to match the fact that several of the game's promoted classes are base classes in genealogy (which is an interesting choice in itself).

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Isn't there a shop that sells Knight Proofs?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Rimusutera posted:

Isn't there a shop that sells Knight Proofs?

You can buy Master Seals in Chapter 22 - very much lategame territory.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Found the actual thing that makes me mad at Fates mechanically: how difficult it is to get the Merc line access to Oboro. I want to make her a Sol+Rend Heaven+Quixotic Basara goddamnit.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Characters in Fates should get the friend/partner’s secondary class if that person’s primary overlaps with either class set of the person using the seal.

no this has nothing to do with allowing Wyvern Rider Effie via A+ Elise why do you ask

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1319278618791432197?s=21

That's kinda surprising

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kinda weird that they're selling it standalone and not just adding it to the NESflix library, but I guess it makes sense considering the extra effort that went into making it happen. Curious about the price though, because lol at spending $60 on Shadow Dragon in tyool 2020. E: Whoops, should have actually followed the link in the tweet, $5.99 seems fair.

Mostly this gives me hope that the other games might eventually get the same treatment.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 22, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Mostly this gives me hope that the other games might eventually get the same treatment.
I doubt they'll do this for any game that they haven't remade. So FE4 and FE6 are off the table since those are prime remake real estate. FE2 and 3 seem viable, though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wanna know who that mega weeb in the trailer is though.

What child in 2001 knew anything about Marth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Only available until March btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

$5.99 is extremely reasonable for a new NES localization with extra features like this, I'm down.

but

i really want this. i need to know how much it costs.

the box art, cartridge, instruction manual, and Nintendo Power cover that all could have been are just. super fun. hell it even comes with a map! that's authentic to the era for sure.