Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Night10194 posted:

The Viper makes an incredible fencer, I built him as one in one game. It's just a question of if that's really the best thing you can do with one of the best possible soldiers in all of BB.

And my response to that is absolutely not. Swordlance. Swordlance all the way. Give him nimble, give him reach advantage, you can stick him in the goddamn front line. Nomads with swordlances call themselves bladedancers? I'd like to see them kill 9-12 enemies in one round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's what I meant. He's better with other weapons. He'll do fantastic with anything you give him but the goal is to kill as many people as possible per round to get his thingy going, hence stuff like the Swordlance.

He was really fun as a fencer, though.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

The Lord Bude posted:

And my response to that is absolutely not. Swordlance. Swordlance all the way. Give him nimble, give him reach advantage, you can stick him in the goddamn front line. Nomads with swordlances call themselves bladedancers? I'd like to see them kill 9-12 enemies in one round.

:psyduck:

I think I'm missing something here. How do you kill 9-12 in a round with a swordlance?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

:psyduck:

I think I'm missing something here. How do you kill 9-12 in a round with a swordlance?

Kill, Killing Frenzy+Glorious Quickness+Berserk, kill again, kill again? I'd think reaching that many people might be a little difficult but that's the point of the swordlance. The real value of Warscythe/Swordlance is that they're the easiest-to-line-up 3 tile AoE in the game, after all.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Oh right, I forgot about the gladiator specific perk. Duh. I was just thinking about Berserk.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Based on my playtesting 3 attacks happens very consistently, and it will often cause the rest of the enemies morale to collapse to fleeing. 4 is possible but very hard to line up; often you need to move around too much. It's pretty great because 3-4 attacks in one turn will basically eat up all your stamina, then next turn you can attack + recover.

One of the problems with making your viper into a fencer is that I suspect by the time you get a third or potential 4th hit per turn you'd want to be using slash because lunge would end up doing less damage than a normal slash due to all the fatigue you've built up.

Also, status of my swordlance viper:

60 battles, 234 kills.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 13, 2020

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Night10194 posted:

That's what I meant. He's better with other weapons. He'll do fantastic with anything you give him but the goal is to kill as many people as possible per round to get his thingy going, hence stuff like the Swordlance.

He was really fun as a fencer, though.
He's a great fencer. Numbers wise he could probably do better as many other things. Three 2h attacks consistently are probably better total damage than whatever lunges you can do over a battle.

The Lord Bude posted:

Based on my playtesting 3 attacks happens very consistently, and it will often cause the rest of the enemies morale to collapse to fleeing. 4 is possible but very hard to line up; often you need to move around too much. It's pretty great because 3-4 attacks in one turn will basically eat up all your stamina, then next turn you can attack + recover.

One of the problems with making your viper into a fencer is that I suspect by the time you get a third or potential 4th hit per turn you'd want to be using slash because lunge would end up doing less damage than a normal slash due to all the fatigue you've built up.

Also, status of my swordlance viper:

60 battles, 234 kills.
I've done 4 lunges on goblins. A slash might have been better, but there is also movement to consider. It may still be better with relentless, would have to do some Math.

What is the stats of your current Viper? I would imagine he has fearsome?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

He's a great fencer. Numbers wise he could probably do better as many other things. Three 2h attacks consistently are probably better total damage than whatever lunges you can do over a battle.

I've done 4 lunges on goblins. A slash might have been better, but there is also movement to consider. It may still be better with relentless, would have to do some Math.

What is the stats of your current Viper? I would imagine he has fearsome?

Level 12; huge and iron lungs.

health 80 (inc colossus)
fatigue 130
resolve 62 (includes +10 from arena)
init 127
matk 93
mdef 27 (includes penalty from huge)
rdef 12

student, recover, colossus, polearm mastery, underdog, nimble, berserk, killing frenzy, reach advantage, overwhelm, fearsome.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
That's weaker than my main swordlancer, who has something like 106 MAtk, 34 MDef and 140 Fat. He does get the kills, but nothing that spectacular. That glorious Quickness is > every other trait by the length of Vipers Viper.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

That's weaker than my main swordlancer, who has something like 106 MAtk, 34 MDef and 140 Fat. He does get the kills, but nothing that spectacular. That glorious Quickness is > every other trait by the length of Vipers Viper.

That’s a considerable length.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
Pro tip that i just thought up, without having experienced it at all.

If you're setting up to lunge a hexe, check that there are no hexes on your bros. Because that sounds dangerous. On of the lads did not get his eye exploded to prove this point. He just tripped is all.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still trying to figure out how you deal with hexen putting those "if i die, he dies" curses on your guys. Right now i basically just wait/keep trying to stun them until they're too tired to cast it, then i murder them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I solve this issue with the expedient method of simply not fighting hexen. They’re not very common; there’s no particular reason to gift them other than clearing the witches hut which is the one and only time I fight them in a given campaign.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
There are some useful crafting components they drop. +6 to resolve is nothing to sniff at. Also, XP potions and such are pretty nice.

dogstile posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how you deal with hexen putting those "if i die, he dies" curses on your guys. Right now i basically just wait/keep trying to stun them until they're too tired to cast it, then i murder them.

I just keep a sniper in range, and a guy close by with the undead necklace(fencer is good for this, as he one shots them), my sergeant etc. Anything to take advantage of a pause in the hex. They can either charm or hex in a turn(I think), and that leaves an opening. Also, waiting until their turn is done helps with this. They tend to try to charm the closest one, so a high resolve guy close by to murder usually does the trick. Also, when a very high health guy get's hexed he can usually tank the hit if you're careful (I.E not a 135 init lunge)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

There are some useful crafting components they drop. +6 to resolve is nothing to sniff at. Also, XP potions and such are pretty nice.

I just keep a sniper in range, and a guy close by with the undead necklace(fencer is good for this, as he one shots them), my sergeant etc. Anything to take advantage of a pause in the hex. They can either charm or hex in a turn(I think), and that leaves an opening. Also, waiting until their turn is done helps with this. They tend to try to charm the closest one, so a high resolve guy close by to murder usually does the trick. Also, when a very high health guy get's hexed he can usually tank the hit if you're careful (I.E not a 135 init lunge)

I just make do with the +4 necklace from killing nachos. Those are a dime a dozen. And a training hall will take care of xp boost needs. It’s not like money is in short supply once you make it past the early game

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hexen are far easier in this patch. The changes to resolve and general bro building has really made them less of an oh gently caress enemy. Atleast once you're far enough along to have a few necklaces and so on.

Best way to deal with them is to ignore them until they get fatigued or try to one shot them with your warbow guy.

Depends on the adds too, schrats and unholds are not nachzehrers or dire wolves.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

If you're stuck in a cycle where they keep hex up for a long time then you can dagger them if you're willing to take the damage on some of your brothers. Have only healthy people near them, stab them, move the wounded dude far away so that they don't recast hex on them and repeat. Otherwise I just bring a bunch of archers with my highest resolve frontline and try to snipe them in the first two rounds

Southpaugh posted:

Best way to deal with them is to ignore them until they get fatigued or try to one shot them with your warbow guy.
This can take a while though. Just yesterday I had a fight where a single hexe survived and kept up hex for five rounds straight. That's when I got fed up and did the dagger thing

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

They can either charm or hex in a turn(I think)
They can do both but sometimes decide not to

The Lord Bude posted:

I just make do with the +4 necklace from killing nachos. Those are a dime a dozen. And a training hall will take care of xp boost needs. It’s not like money is in short supply once you make it past the early game
The +6 is pretty nice though. With some veteran levels I easily got my front to 60 resolve that way despite aiming for 50 on non-tank brothers in the front. And the xp potion does give +100% for three fights which is a lot better than the training hall. It can be a neat time saver once you hit the part of the game where you grind through recruits to level your perfect boys. But it also needs a schrat heart which is a rare drop so sadly it's not really something that you can utilize consistently. And of course you don't want to make addicts either.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 14, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Just did a Hexen fight with unholds and direwilves. Maces and whips for the front line.

I got 5 rows of bleeds stacked on a single unhold. Surprisingly it didn't bleed out immediately

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bleed kinda just counter acts their healing in my experience. Even with a whip master stacking up. It does help a lot.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Just a reminder to be careful when nobles want you to destroy camps

Decent pay for a random orc camp, right? Except that I already discovered that place and know that it's a sea of tents with 30+ orcs...wtf we are allied bro

Also, the saddest famed drop

I mean I put some lindwurm scales on it and use it as a decent armor for fresh hires that I level but I'm still sad

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any time the Orc Camp has a name that sounds like an Orc Name it means trouble.

Also Gobbos please stop building loving everything on hills, thanks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Just a reminder to be careful when nobles want you to destroy camps

Decent pay for a random orc camp, right? Except that I already discovered that place and know that it's a sea of tents with 30+ orcs...wtf we are allied bro

Also, the saddest famed drop

I mean I put some lindwurm scales on it and use it as a decent armor for fresh hires that I level but I'm still sad

When you accept a contract that is 2 skulls or less it will replace whatever is in the location with new enemies scaled to the contract difficulty. 3 skull contracts always use whatever was originally there.

It’s important to know because if you accept a 1 or 2 skull contract to wipe out a location that spawned at the beginning of the game with a good named item you’ll lose the item. I always try not to take contracts of one or two skulls that want me to destroy a location once I’m in a financial position to pick and choose what to do.

Also that armour is pretty good for a nimble bro - you can add an attachment with no durability penalty and then you have an extra 2 fatigue to play with for the helmet; while also having decently better durability than anything at 10 fatigue. You could add lindwurm scales as you did but raw +durability isn’t as good as bone plates or hyena pelts for the back line.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 15, 2020

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
The Monolith has certainly gotten easier. Didn't make that good use of overwhelm, but it helped. Used some flash bombs too, and the swordlances had plenty of room to play. Of course I have an over the top team, but I did with the Lone Wolf too, and I suffered a few deaths.

How do people build around the emperors armour? Attachments? I'm thinking unhold fur and a guy that actually gets hit a bit. Maybe a round swinging axe lad.
For reference:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

When you accept a contract that is 2 skulls or less it will replace whatever is in the location with new enemies scaled to the contract difficulty. 3 skull contracts always use whatever was originally there.

It’s important to know because if you accept a 1 or 2 skull contract to wipe out a location that spawned at the beginning of the game with a good named item you’ll lose the item. I always try not to take contracts of one or two skulls that want me to destroy a location once I’m in a financial position to pick and choose what to do.
Huh, I didn't know that! Gonna keep that in mind from now on

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

The Monolith has certainly gotten easier. Didn't make that good use of overwhelm, but it helped. Used some flash bombs too, and the swordlances had plenty of room to play. Of course I have an over the top team, but I did with the Lone Wolf too, and I suffered a few deaths.

How do people build around the emperors armour? Attachments? I'm thinking unhold fur and a guy that actually gets hit a bit. Maybe a round swinging axe lad.
For reference:

Yeah before the last expansion; I was playing a peasant run and I tried the monolith for the first time. I spent 3 days trying it over and over again until I beat it without losing anyone; and even then I came out of it with 3 permanent injuries and it took dozens of rounds iirc.

This time round again with peasants I did it first try; nobody even came close to dying and it was over in a flash. Guns; overwhelm and the new potion mechanics make a hell of a difference.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

What are some good strats for the late game xp grind now?

I'm at the point where I only look for excellent recruits and need to judge their final stats in comparison with my core bros. And even with the training hall it takes a long time to lvl after you hit like 6. I assume there must be some fights which are more desirable than others in terms of xp yield vs threat/effort. So far I've tried to prioritize large zombie/raider fights since those allow you to feed easy kills to recruits on top of the kills they get during the course of the fight. But I'm not sure if that's really the best method so yeah hit me with your strats if you have some

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

That's basically what I do. Keep the xp buffs up and put them in a situation where they are landing attacks and getting kills. Obviously the better your equipment the easier that will be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If anyone is looking for a good map seed; MLVRigViiI is one of the best I've ever found, certainly the best post blazing deserts. 5 ports, one is a large trade city in the far northwest, 2 in the southwest, and 2 in the southeast. The city states form a nice neat compact triangle in the southeast, easy fast travel between them by road; and 2 of them are ports including the arena city. Lots of nice big citadels, perfectly placed on the edge of the wilderness area. Neat tight road network for easy travel. One citadel has blast furnace, ore smelter and workshop. I've had unusually good luck finding named items in shops - a gun and 2 swordlances (named swordlances will spawn in northern weapon shops, which I hadn't realised). Loads of hunters cabins and woodcutters. 2 swamp settlements - a small motte and bailey and a medium sized stone keep.

only downside is the starting bros are pretty lacklustre, you'd probably want to mod in your own. I've tested various starts - peasants are acceptable with 4 bros worth keeping (but none of them ranged bros). Poachers seem good - that seems to be the least variable start though, since hunters and poachers have pretty tight stat ranges and the stars are fixed. Northern raiders - all three barbarians are very high quality shieldbros but none of them are 2 hander material. Lone wolf is a pessimist but otherwise has very good stats.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Tin Tim posted:

What are some good strats for the late game xp grind now?

I'm at the point where I only look for excellent recruits and need to judge their final stats in comparison with my core bros. And even with the training hall it takes a long time to lvl after you hit like 6. I assume there must be some fights which are more desirable than others in terms of xp yield vs threat/effort. So far I've tried to prioritize large zombie/raider fights since those allow you to feed easy kills to recruits on top of the kills they get during the course of the fight. But I'm not sure if that's really the best method so yeah hit me with your strats if you have some

Once I get to this point I usually recruit pretty good backgrounds that come with a few levels. That won't work for peasants of course, but for anything else hedge knights and sellswords tend to hold their own enough to kill well with a pike and heavy armour. Then I just keep on doing what I was doing, usually raiding locations, and those regularly come with 15-24 things to kill. I'd be a bit careful with the ancient dead, the pikes might pull a one shot, but as long as you have dedicated rotators it should be fine. Just put the guy in as heavy armour as he can wear and still do a step and stab, and be ready to pull his arse out of the fire. For ranged bro's a crossbow instead of a pike does the same job once you hit 60+ RAtk. If you're not sure how good they'll be towards the end I'd just put their stats into a calculator like http://www.bbplanner.xyz/ This way I don't have to worry about going out of my way to level them. If you just wanted a xp/effort math, then you have just read a useless post :v:

The Lord Bude posted:

If anyone is looking for a good map seed; MLVRigViiI is one of the best I've ever found, certainly the best post blazing deserts. 5 ports, one is a large trade city in the far northwest, 2 in the southwest, and 2 in the southeast. The city states form a nice neat compact triangle in the southeast, easy fast travel between them by road; and 2 of them are ports including the arena city. Lots of nice big citadels, perfectly placed on the edge of the wilderness area. Neat tight road network for easy travel. One citadel has blast furnace, ore smelter and workshop. I've had unusually good luck finding named items in shops - a gun and 2 swordlances (named swordlances will spawn in northern weapon shops, which I hadn't realised). Loads of hunters cabins and woodcutters. 2 swamp settlements - a small motte and bailey and a medium sized stone keep.

only downside is the starting bros are pretty lacklustre, you'd probably want to mod in your own. I've tested various starts - peasants are acceptable with 4 bros worth keeping (but none of them ranged bros). Poachers seem good - that seems to be the least variable start though, since hunters and poachers have pretty tight stat ranges and the stars are fixed. Northern raiders - all three barbarians are very high quality shieldbros but none of them are 2 hander material. Lone wolf is a pessimist but otherwise has very good stats.

Nice, might do this one for manhunters. A good trade city in the northwest would be great, the north tends to be lacklustre in cities, and I want a full barbarian slave army :black101:
Also, if you're at a point where you're looking for perfect seeds, I don't think it's much of a stretch to mod in some reasonable starting bro's that fit the start. I just took some from a different seed and put them into the map i play now. If it's fun, it's fun.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

I've never played more than two crises because I like the early-mid game best, but for anyone else it might be worth knowing that camp scaling stops at day 266, and random party scaling at day 1000 (who cares?). So if you play past day 266 you can take your time because the pressure is off.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Three loving waves of undead defending this idiot town; barely a scratch on any of my men. I even managed to keep the halfwit bumpkins they call a militia from getting themselves killed - and how did Olaf the butcher lose his loving finger you ask? Why he cut it right off to give to a random dude as a present. He’s lucky I don’t have any flagellants in the company. Now he only has 86 matk. He’s lucky I’m prepared to tolerate that in a polearm.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If there's one thing I've learned from the random events, it's that Battle Brothers Butchers are all loving psychos.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Has anyone taken manhunters to endgame yet? Thoughts?

edit: fencers have grown on me. I don't know if it's the fact that I have a named fencing sword this time or maybe that I'm better at the game, but this little brawler I hired to be my fencer kicks rear end. He was about 3hp shy of 1 shotting an undamaged barbarian chosen.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 17, 2020

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
postin' a Reddit seed so I can find it later:

DXYXoMJtpZ

Golden Goose:
You have to go due northwest from Al-Hazif. As soon as you start clearing the fog of war in that direction, the curious shipwreck will appear

Good trading seed, 7 harbors. Only done Southern Mercs where the starting bros are good but nothing crazy.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Quoting dis for seed posterity

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

this is easily the worst fight i've ever had to do. there's 3 more gunners you can't even see hiding in the bushes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The southerners are just miserable to fight in general.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

this is easily the worst fight i've ever had to do. there's 3 more gunners you can't even see hiding in the bushes.

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable fight. Not sure how far into the game you are - it looks like this is your first crisis; given your lack of 2handers in the front row? Remember if you kill the engineers the mortars can’t fire.

You have a lack of ranged power - if you’re playing peasants you should aim to get 2 gunners and 2 archers or throwers on the field at once. Two gunners with fearsome/overwhelm would go a long way to neutering the enemy gunners. Also you have a lot of guys in the back
Row with polearms or other reach weapons but none of them are carrying swordlances. Getting 2-3 swordlances should be a priority; it makes a huge difference.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable fight. Not sure how far into the game you are - it looks like this is your first crisis; given your lack of 2handers in the front row? Remember if you kill the engineers the mortars can’t fire.

You have a lack of ranged power - if you’re playing peasants you should aim to get 2 gunners and 2 archers or throwers on the field at once. Two gunners with fearsome/overwhelm would go a long way to neutering the enemy gunners. Also you have a lot of guys in the back
Row with polearms or other reach weapons but none of them are carrying swordlances. Getting 2-3 swordlances should be a priority; it makes a huge difference.

This is actually the third crisis. And saying "get 4 ranged guys on the field at once" is assuming a lot about the number of even vaguely acceptable ranged guys I've run into. I've found literally 3 guys who had any stars in RATK at all, and the gunner there is the only one of them who had the Resolve required to actually bother getting Fearsome on.

Similarly I've found 2 guys with stats that let them be sorta okay two-handers, who are not in this picture because this is actually the second "wade through this swamp while mortars shoot at you" fight in a row I've had on this contract, and they're both both sitting in reserve with crippling injuries.

I don't know where you're getting all these buff peasants but all I've managed to do is put together a wall of clumsy oafs with shields to stand in front of my line of guys with pointy sticks who are marginally better at hitting things but stop existing if they ever spend an entire turn in range of an enemy. I'll upgrade the pointy sticks to swordlances if I ever actually find one.

Night10194 posted:

The southerners are just miserable to fight in general.

I normally don't find them bad because I can just split off a couple of guys to flank their gunners or rush down their mortars while everyone else gets stuck in, and their actual line is weak because they have garbage armour. But fighting them in a swamp where you can't move 2 spaces without running out of fatigue and can't hold a line without getting mortared is the absolute worst.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

This is actually the third crisis. And saying "get 4 ranged guys on the field at once" is assuming a lot about the number of even vaguely acceptable ranged guys I've run into. I've found literally 3 guys who had any stars in RATK at all, and the gunner there is the only one of them who had the Resolve required to actually bother getting Fearsome on.

Similarly I've found 2 guys with stats that let them be sorta okay two-handers, who are not in this picture because this is actually the second "wade through this swamp while mortars shoot at you" fight in a row I've had on this contract, and they're both both sitting in reserve with crippling injuries.

I don't know where you're getting all these buff peasants but all I've managed to do is put together a wall of clumsy oafs with shields to stand in front of my line of guys with pointy sticks who are marginally better at hitting things but stop existing if they ever spend an entire turn in range of an enemy. I'll upgrade the pointy sticks to swordlances if I ever actually find one.

I normally don't find them bad because I can just split off a couple of guys to flank their gunners or rush down their mortars while everyone else gets stuck in, and their actual line is weak because they have garbage armour. But fighting them in a swamp where you can't move 2 spaces without running out of fatigue and can't hold a line without getting mortared is the absolute worst.

Ok you are way, way behind the curve in terms of both gear judging from the screenshot and manpower. You've shot yourself in the foot as well hiring junk recruits based on your description. Difficulty scaling is heavily dependant on the number of guys in your company, don't hire riffraff. Based on the screenshot I thought you were at like day 85 or something and you'd still be a bit behind the curve even then. At third crisis that fight should be trivial.

What you ought to be doing for your first 60-70 days is methodically doing loops of every town checking for decent hires while doing contracts. It beggars belief that you wouldn't find enough ranged bros hundreds of days in; my last peasant run I had an archer, 2 throwers and 2 gunners by the time the first crisis was over; and apart from the archer that was hired relatively late the others were at level 11.

Poachers always spawn with 47-49 ratk; 1 star will get you 80+ which is good enough for a gunner or a thrower. Ideally you'd want to be able to hit 90 for an archer and those are admittedly harder to find. Militiamen and shepherds will also often have high 40s and stars. One of my gunners was a minstrel.

You don't need crazy high resolve to make good use of fearsome - 60 is great; anything more is gravy. All your shield bros, duellists and polearms should have fearsome as well.

Gunners don't need stamina, ranged defence, or melee defence. You can level ranged attack and resolve every level, get health to 75ish ( you can fit both gifted and colossus into a gunner build, although I like to cut one or the other for rally the troops in order for the gunner to be a backup sergeant) then boost initiative to make sure you can get overwhelm landing as well. Even indebted can spawn with adequate stats to be a gunner. even with say 30 starting resolve and no stars you're going to get to 60; and don't forget +resolve trinkets and the arena buffs.

Similarly good tanks are easy to find - if he can get to 80 matk and 130+ stamina and isn't super low in both health and resolve he's tank material. My tanks end up with 100 health, 60+ resolve (with a +4 trinket and +5 from arena) 80+ matk and as much stamina as I can give them. If you hire farmers or lumberjacks you can find dudes that will hit 140 plus. I notice Walter has way to much health and not enough fatigue - I don't know what his attack score is, but if he can't get to 80 he doesn't get hired in my company.

Good polearms are easy to find as well. Guys with high 80s or low 90s attack but bad fatigue - miners can often be good (they'll usually gain 7-10 fatigue from random events) in my current gladiator game my 2 polearms are butchers. Get health to 75 without the use of colossus, get attack into the 80s at a minimum, get resolve to 60 with the trinket and the arena, try and get fatigue to 120, although a little less is tolerable, You don't need defence.

You can buy swordlances in weapon shops in the south; if you keep checking, and doing southern contracts to remove raided status effects it shouldn't be that hard, I've never not been able to field at least 3 of them by day 30ish. Getting swordlances and guns should be an early priority. Alternatively loot warscythes from ancient dead.

Don't knock yourself out trying to find perfect bros for 2hander duties. It's been my experience that between overwhelm/fearsome support; and having 4 extra guys, a final mdef score as low as 20 is perfectly adequate in a peasant company. If he can hit 90 matk, 140 stamina, 50 resolve (again with help from trinkets and arena) and 20 mdef - more is better of course, but 20 is adequate - then he'll be fine as a 2hander. Reach advantage is important as well of course.

Nimble duelists are very useful - say if you find a great guy with low fatigue, or a guy with good fatigue but low health and resolve - you can level those instead of fatigue. With dodge, your nimble duelist will often be more durable than your 2hander.