Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

For whatever it's worth, I got the software update this morning for my S20+ and at least now have a 5G connection indicated more often than not. Prior to that, I pretty much had to be outdoors in specific spots to get 5G.

Serious question, can you do some 5G speed tests and try and compare them to 4G speed tests ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, can I get some clarity on this one?

They're starting to run 5G spec stuff over the 700MHz LTE band? Isn't that just "faster 4G?"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AlexDeGruven posted:

They're starting to run 5G spec stuff over the 700MHz LTE band? Isn't that just "faster 4G?"

There's a lot of other stuff going on behind the scenes for 5G that makes it more than "just" faster 4G. But in terms of what you're likely to see on a cell phone in the next few years, yeah, 5G as a whole is mostly just better speeds. 700Mhz 5G gets you moderately better speeds but good national coverage, mmWave 5G gets you considerably better speeds but terrible coverage. So they're trying to at least give everyone some benefit while they keep building out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Duckman2008 posted:

Serious question, can you do some 5G speed tests and try and compare them to 4G speed tests ?

I'm not seeing substantive, consistent differences between the two bands in my current location. Both are running 100-125 mbps down and 25-30 mbps up.

I will say that there is one outdoor cafe I've been to a couple of times where I get the 5G icon and see 300-500 mbps down and 100 mpbps up, but the signal quality is all over the place depending on how I sit or hold my phone. I'll report back when I visit again.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 15, 2020

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Alright duckman. Thanks for all the help you’ve given us btw. Here’s my situation. I have an 8+ and looking to get the 12 pro tomorrow. I see there may be some deals especially if i upgrade to unlimited. Currently on medium 4gb shared between two phones. Any specific recommendation on plan choices with the upgrade? Do i switch to unlimited plan today or tomorrow along with ordering the phone? And lastly how do i use you as the referral?

Edit: or alternately would i just trade in through apple and keep the super cheap phone bill. We rarely go over our data limit at this point but it would be convenient to use data for streaming music while running

cheeeeesecake fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 15, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

As the other poster mentioned, yeah faster speeds and I think it should be lower latency ? But it’ll actually work so that’s the big key.

cheeeeesecake posted:

Alright duckman. Thanks for all the help you’ve given us btw. Here’s my situation. I have an 8+ and looking to get the 12 pro tomorrow. I see there may be some deals especially if i upgrade to unlimited. Currently on medium 4gb shared between two phones. Any specific recommendation on plan choices with the upgrade? Do i switch to unlimited plan today or tomorrow along with ordering the phone? And lastly how do i use you as the referral?

Edit: or alternately would i just trade in through apple and keep the super cheap phone bill. We rarely go over our data limit at this point but it would be convenient to use data for streaming music while running

You would have to go up to play unlimited. Right now you’re paying $90 a month for 4GB , play unlimited is $140 a month if you’re doing autopay with checking account, $160 if you aren’t doing autopay.

Honestly , the Verizon upgrade promo this year isn’t bad if you have said plan, but if you don’t it’s probably worth taking Apple’s promo and keeping your cheaper plan.

FYI they have a 10GB plan that is $90 if you do autopay with checking account ($110 without autopay).

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Thank you for the advice!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The new spam-blocking feature has been doing a bang-up job at dumping important calls straight to voicemail and letting the spam right through.

I know I can turn it off but I'd rather it worked.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife and I are on a Go Unlimited plan and she’s due for a new phone. She’s got an iPhone 8 that is paid off and I’m wondering what we’d be looking at if she got an iPhone 12 mini?

I’m on the 2020 SE so I don’t really need an upgrade-I paid the device off, but if the trade in makes it seem worth it, then maybe I’d consider.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I'm getting a Pixel 5 at the end of the month and I've been using the same SIM card since like 2013 or 2015. Is it necessary to get a new SIM card considering I don't expect to see mmWave 5G in my area for many many years?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

waffle iron posted:

I'm getting a Pixel 5 at the end of the month and I've been using the same SIM card since like 2013 or 2015. Is it necessary to get a new SIM card considering I don't expect to see mmWave 5G in my area for many many years?

Now that they announced new 5G , you should swap for a 5G SIM card. 5G is on the LTE 700mhZ frequency now. It’s in mostly cities to start , but it will be usable, so it would be worth having the option.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Now that they announced new 5G , you should swap for a 5G SIM card. 5G is on the LTE 700mhZ frequency now. It’s in mostly cities to start , but it will be usable, so it would be worth having the option.

Is there a place on Verizon's website I can request a new SIM or is it just easier to go into a store?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

waffle iron posted:

Is there a place on Verizon's website I can request a new SIM or is it just easier to go into a store?

Honestly not sure on the website. I would say go to a store, bear in mind it’s iPhone preorder so who knows if it’s busy or not.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Same question, but I got my current SIM less than a year ago.

It's probably moot since I plan to order one of those shiny new iPhone 12s to take advantage of the Verizon financing, and those usually come with new SIMs. But I like to know these things.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Same question, but I got my current SIM less than a year ago.

It's probably moot since I plan to order one of those shiny new iPhone 12s to take advantage of the Verizon financing, and those usually come with new SIMs. But I like to know these things.

You don’t need a 5G SIM until you get a 5G phone (I don’t think it would provision right although I haven’t tried).

When you get a 5G iPhone (or any 5G phone) the SIM it comes and activates with is a 5G SIM. So shouldn’t be an issue.

If you need a 5G SIM the local stores will def always provision one if you have a 5G phone.

In your case, random thing to note, a bunch of stores in west Illinois and the one ST Louis store closed because of Covid cases , but I think they are back open this week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, so:

My partner is likely going to switch from AT&T to my account. If I open the Verizon site not logged in, it offers a free iPhone 12 via a $550 trade-in (she currently has an iPhone 8. so should be fine) and a $250 switching bonus using a promo code. (There's also a promo for a copy of the Avengers video game which would be cool.) When I log in, it only seems to offer the former, and it doesn't seem to accept the promo code. Does the switching promo only work for brand new accounts, not switching to a new line on an existing account?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Okay, so:

My partner is likely going to switch from AT&T to my account. If I open the Verizon site not logged in, it offers a free iPhone 12 via a $550 trade-in (she currently has an iPhone 8. so should be fine) and a $250 switching bonus using a promo code. (There's also a promo for a copy of the Avengers video game which would be cool.) When I log in, it only seems to offer the former, and it doesn't seem to accept the promo code. Does the switching promo only work for brand new accounts, not switching to a new line on an existing account?

It’s for add a line, so existing is fine if it’s an add a line.

What plan are you on ? The promo requires one of the premium plans, so Play More, Do More or Get More.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s for add a line, so existing is fine if it’s an add a line.

What plan are you on ? The promo requires one of the premium plans, so Play More, Do More or Get More.
I'm on Play More. I assume she'll be doing the same.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'm on Play More. I assume she'll be doing the same.

The promo code for the $250 gift card. you actually go to a separate Verizon website and submit for after you switch her over. Gift card arrives in 6-8 weeks, use it towards your bill. So that you’ll def qualify for.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Posting here because it seems like a Verizon issue. I'm setting up an iPhone 12, and after entering the verizon pin the phone has been stuck on "It may take a few minutes to activate your iPhone" for at least 30 minutes. Is this something that's going to require a trip to the verizon store? Can I just hard power down and hope for the best?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Let me pull article

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Posting here because it seems like a Verizon issue. I'm setting up an iPhone 12, and after entering the verizon pin the phone has been stuck on "It may take a few minutes to activate your iPhone" for at least 30 minutes. Is this something that's going to require a trip to the verizon store? Can I just hard power down and hope for the best?

If some restarts don’t work the next step is using iTunes or finder to activate. AT&T has issue as well

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If some restarts don’t work the next step is using iTunes or finder to activate. AT&T has issue as well

It looks like a restart worked. Didn't know about using iTunes to activate--I'll try that next if I have to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostOfTomNook posted:

That’s weird , but it’s launch day so errors are possible. Are you on WiFi ?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Duckman, I need some help. I hate curved screen phones so i got an ATT branded LG G8X.. unlocked. Put in my VZW sim and i get 4G for a few mins and then it dies or something. I can't quite figure out wtf. Called VZW they were like OMG YOU NEED A NEW SIM!! But I don't know if I believe them. Got any ideas? Return phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Hey Duckman, I need some help. I hate curved screen phones so i got an ATT branded LG G8X.. unlocked. Put in my VZW sim and i get 4G for a few mins and then it dies or something. I can't quite figure out wtf. Called VZW they were like OMG YOU NEED A NEW SIM!! But I don't know if I believe them. Got any ideas? Return phone?

Uh....yeah some good questions here

To be honest , I have not heard of the LG G8X. So I guess the first question is whether it’s compatible with Verizon. Probably? To be blunt, I never recommend LG. They never support their phones and their quality record just isn’t near as good as Samsung. I would return it just because it’s LG in my opinion.

If I remember tomorrow, I can check the BYOD list to see if it’s a compatible phone.

If it’s a 5G phone, yeah you might need a new SIM for sure. 5G is going to require a 5G SIM going forward.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

Uh....yeah some good questions here

To be honest , I have not heard of the LG G8X. So I guess the first question is whether it’s compatible with Verizon. Probably? To be blunt, I never recommend LG. They never support their phones and their quality record just isn’t near as good as Samsung. I would return it just because it’s LG in my opinion.

If I remember tomorrow, I can check the BYOD list to see if it’s a compatible phone.

If it’s a 5G phone, yeah you might need a new SIM for sure. 5G is going to require a 5G SIM going forward.

Huh ok. I have no clue then. I guess Ill get the new sims, try em, and if nothing return phone. Bummer. Nice phone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it a company policy to turn away people looking to change up their bill and tell them to do it themselves or am i just lucky for being in Ohio?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think it's a function of salespeople directing people to self service when the plan change would hurt their sales numbers (because bad sales numbers can result in disciple/firing).

Edit: I once worked in semi-commission retail and coworkers of mine would straight up ignore customer who weren't going to put money in their pockets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

waffle iron posted:

I think it's a function of salespeople directing people to self service when the plan change would hurt their sales numbers (because bad sales numbers can result in disciple/firing).

I just want to give them more money* for more data, and i don't want to do it myself because then when i get a bill that's higher than i expect it's not my fault

*with auto pay it should be the same price?

edit: i scheduled a call back and it immediately hung up on me after i clicked one and it said "we're connecting you hold on"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Is it a company policy to turn away people looking to change up their bill and tell them to do it themselves or am i just lucky for being in Ohio?

So....there’s two sides to this.

On one side: we’re in a pandemic. So there are things that can be done over the phone. Plan changes are arguably one of them.

One the other side: yeah, the stores are open, and official Verizon policy is that would be something serviceable in store.

Back in July , my store would have directed you to call over the phone. As of September , we would have taken care of it. There’s def a lot of stores interpreting the policies differently , and honestly , while they didn’t do the right thing, I can’t blame someone for being cautious during Covid, even if it’s going too far.

Really, the issue is more there’s no nationwide direction, but that’s a whole other conversation. Personally, I really like my job and want to be employed , but there’s just going to be a conflict between staying safe (not being in personal contact with people), and taking care of people in person.

Another example: stores have limited capacity, which is great. My store sticks very strictly to one person per account (we’re also fairly small). So if you are there with 2 members of your family, it’s one at a time (exception for kids under 18) and the others wait in the car. The store down the street may let you all in.

I donno , it’s a surreal time. And I’m not saying you aren’t having sympathy or anything, but it’s just a cluster gently caress and yeah, some people are just more scared than others.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The second scheduled call did work and my plan got upgraded, after setting up auto pay it's $5 more a month to go from 4 gigs to 10 gigs which is definitely worth it. I was hesitant to barrel forward myself because I didn't want to get blind sided by charges I wasn't expecting and then just have it be 100% my fault. But everything did get sorted out I was just a little salty that just talking to someone had so many steps

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

redeyes posted:

Huh ok. I have no clue then. I guess Ill get the new sims, try em, and if nothing return phone. Bummer. Nice phone.

Fwiw when I had some weirdness with my iPhone (visual voicemail not working, Verizon app doing all sorts of weird things) getting a new sim fixed everything up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

The second scheduled call did work and my plan got upgraded, after setting up auto pay it's $5 more a month to go from 4 gigs to 10 gigs which is definitely worth it. I was hesitant to barrel forward myself because I didn't want to get blind sided by charges I wasn't expecting and then just have it be 100% my fault. But everything did get sorted out I was just a little salty that just talking to someone had so many steps

Oh totally dude. poo poo, with everything Covid, yeah we’re gonna have extra steps, it’s still understandable to be salty.

And yeah, I don’t blame you on plan change concerns. Thankfully it’s gotten better, but they def still can have issues so good to double check.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cheeeeesecake posted:

I don't know what specifically this unlimited promo is, but I was on the 4gb shared plan for $90 which was rear end and I switched to Verizon's prepaid 15gb per line plan and got 2 lines for the same I was paying for 4gb shared, and it drops over time with loyalty discounts.

Only downside is if you have a device payment through verizon you'll have to pay off the remainder, but if you finance through Apple its not an issue.

e: if you want unlimited they've got an option in their prepaid plans which is far cheaper than any of their post paids options. And if you wanna go really cheap you can get 5gb per line prepaid

Baxate fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 24, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My friend has Verizon and is interested in switching to an iPhone but he’s not sold and he doesn’t pay for his plan (family plan) so he doesn’t want to complicate things.

I want to tell him that he could just buy an iPhone at full price from Apple and stick his Galaxy’s SIM card into it and it’ll just work and nothing will change regarding the Verizon plan. Nothing will get extended and the pricing will be exactly the same. And then if he decided he didn’t want the iPhone he could put the SIM back into his galaxy and return the iPhone directly to Apple within 14 days.

Is this true?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yes

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

My friend has Verizon and is interested in switching to an iPhone but he’s not sold and he doesn’t pay for his plan (family plan) so he doesn’t want to complicate things.

I want to tell him that he could just buy an iPhone at full price from Apple and stick his Galaxy’s SIM card into it and it’ll just work and nothing will change regarding the Verizon plan. Nothing will get extended and the pricing will be exactly the same. And then if he decided he didn’t want the iPhone he could put the SIM back into his galaxy and return the iPhone directly to Apple within 14 days.

Is this true?

Potentially true.

Yes you can for sure buy any unlocked iPhone (make sure it’s the unlocked branded model) and it works with whatever Verizon plan no problem, no fees.

If he wants the 12, he will want to take said phone to a store to get a 5G SIM card (free at corporate stores). Or, if stores in the area are closed, have care mail him one.

So only disclaimer, 5G phones now need a 5G SIM.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Does he need to buy the carrier unlocked version or the Verizon version? The Verizon version says there’s a $30 discount and “requires activation.” He doesn’t want to extend his Verizon contract by another 12 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does he need to buy the carrier unlocked version or the Verizon version? The Verizon version says there’s a $30 discount and “requires activation.” He doesn’t want to extend his Verizon contract by another 12 months.

In this case buy the unlocked one. The Verizon version is for if you want 24 month payment plan. It’ll charge a $40 act fee, so no point in this case to go for the $30 savings.