Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My capital ship *did* change colors on its own once, to bright yellow. Then a minute later it turned itself into a Sentinel ship. Since I didn't want my big beautiful star destroyer to become a space banana, I reloaded a manual save to fix it.

It may have glitched the color change more often than that though, it can be hard to tell when different systems have such wildly varying ambient light color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Elotana posted:

Where do I get the cube window and the orange wall screen? This is my second playthrough and they're empty in my catalogue, I had to look them up online\

I ran into the same problem when I was playing few months ago, except the cube window was in the catalogue. Probably because I had it on an older save from before the changes to the blueprint unlocking system. I stopped playing before I could find a solution (if there even was one).

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Gotta remember too, that the games lighting effects can make your freighters and ships look almost a completely different colour depending on the system.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wee Bairns posted:

Gotta remember too, that the games lighting effects can make your freighters and ships look almost a completely different colour depending on the system.

I think it's just that the freighter customization is buggy. I went into the panel on my first freighter, clicked around on the colors but didn't apply any, and the freighter still turned red from blue. Was fine after a game reload though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The lighting system in NMS can be both super frustrating and an unexpected source of emergent visuals. I found one moon with a tropical biome that was up really close to its parent planet with a toxic biome, such that much of the light hitting the moon passed through the toxic planet's greenish lighting filter. The result was that the foliage on the moon was semi-iridescent. Over the course of an in-game day, the grass slowly changed color from yellow and pink to green and blue to purples. It was pretty cool!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Finally found an S rank multitool that i got for free by turning in a damaged multitool that i got from a quest. I started upgrading it on the ground but when i went to space all my upgrades were reverted it's weird. Thankfully now it's staying upgraded by i was afraid to plug in my S rank upgrades i've been saving haha.

I was micromanaging my frigate fleets to optimize their travel times but now i just built 5 fleet control rooms and with the latest sale of fusion igniters i'm buying every frigate i can so if 1 fleet spot is open i just send out a fleet from my now giant frigate pool haha.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Arghy posted:

Finally found an S rank multitool that i got for free by turning in a damaged multitool that i got from a quest. I started upgrading it on the ground but when i went to space all my upgrades were reverted it's weird. Thankfully now it's staying upgraded by i was afraid to plug in my S rank upgrades i've been saving haha.

I was micromanaging my frigate fleets to optimize their travel times but now i just built 5 fleet control rooms and with the latest sale of fusion igniters i'm buying every frigate i can so if 1 fleet spot is open i just send out a fleet from my now giant frigate pool haha.

What do additional control rooms do? Let you send more missions out? Increases frigate capacity?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vasler posted:

What do additional control rooms do? Let you send more missions out? Increases frigate capacity?

You need one control room per active mission, if you have more than one you can have more happening simultaneously.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Vasler posted:

You need one control room per concurrent mission which is kinda dumb but whatever.

I've got a hallway with three on each side for the odd time when there's, like, a 27 hour mission left over from the previous day but I wanna send out a fresh batch of five.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You need a control room for each frigate mission you send out. Generally you want five because you'll get five missions listed at a time, but the missions don't refresh at the same rate so it's possible to send more missions out before the first five are done, if you have enough frigates to send more. So having six or seven control rooms doesn't hurt.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
edit: ah what the gently caress wrong thread lol

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 15, 2020

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
With the right setup you can get all frigate missions below 24 hours. I have two freighter tech upgrades to speed and 5 supply frigates with speed upgrades. Sometimes if I don’t log in at the daily refresh I have to use one of the speed consumables but that’s rare. Supply frigates are the best.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
What!! I've been doing one mission a day, wondering what I'm gonna do with these extra frigates just sitting around. I'm gonna build more mission rooms tonight!

What's the maximum number of frigates you can have?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
30 frigates I think is the max.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Vasler posted:

What!! I've been doing one mission a day, wondering what I'm gonna do with these extra frigates just sitting around. I'm gonna build more mission rooms tonight!

What's the maximum number of frigates you can have?

The max is still the 5 missions per day in the list.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

is there a trick to getting higher-level missions? i feel like i've only seen one four-star mission in the last two weeks or so, and have never seen a five-star. is that because my fleet levels are mostly class-B's? what system i'm in? or is it just random?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Seems random to me, I’ve never seen a 5 star mission.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

The worst thing about star destroyer capital ships is that you can't change the main body color. Just the stripe down the middle and some highlights / outlines. Heck I'm still not even really sure what colors 2 and 3 affect, the ship is so big that you can't pull the camera far enough out to see what bits might be changing color.

While the removal of ~portal interference~ has definitely made obtaining freighters via NMCE easier, if you're looking for specific base colors there's always a save editor and NMS seeds. It's not as good as having an in-game way to do it but helps work around that limitation.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I've just started this and is it normal to feel so overwhelmed at the beginning?

I've got to the point where I met some summonable base station and chatted to some dude who's now given me the option of trying to get to a black hole or look for some other dude.

I've had so much thrown at me that it's hard to tell if I'm supposed to feel this lost as part of the game or if its just a bad tutorial to help you learn things properly.

Like I took a break for a week and I've no idea how to even make more fuel for hyperspace jumps, my original base is on the rear end in a top hat system you start in and everything feels like it takes loving ages.

I mean do i really have to manually find, walk to and dig out a bajillion artifacts just to unlock a metal wall?

I kinda feel that before I go exploring the universe I want to just set up a base somewhere that ultimately automates a lot of these resources so I can travel back to it now and again to stock up.

Is that possible where I'm at in the game? Or even possible at all?

Edit: Oh and alien languages. Is there a tipping point where you just end up understanding what they say or is it really gong to be about learning 1000 plus words, one at a time from unique aliens you meet?

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 16, 2020

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Kin posted:

So I've just started this and is it normal to feel so overwhelmed at the beginning?

I've got to the point where I met some summonable base station and chatted to some dude who's now given me the option of trying to get to a black hole or look for some other dude.

I've had so much thrown at me that it's hard to tell if I'm supposed to feel this lost as part of the game or if its just a bad tutorial to help you learn things properly.

Like I took a break for a week and I've no idea how to even make more fuel for hyperspace jumps, my original base is on the rear end in a top hat system you start in and everything feels like it takes loving ages.

I mean do i really have to manually find, walk to and dig out a bajillion artifacts just to unlock a metal wall?

I kinda feel that before I go exploring the universe I want to just set up a base somewhere that ultimately automates a lot of these resources so I can travel back to it now and again to stock up.

Edit: Oh and alien languages. Is there a tipping point where you just end up understanding what they say or is it really gong to be about learning 1000 plus words, one at a time from unique aliens you meet?

So don't spend too much time on building a base until you start doing the base quests you'll get more than half the BP's you need from them. Pretty much try to follow the main quest line while making money and nanites because you don't wanna invest in a ship or multitool until you find an S class one and the game will throw you loads of free A/B class ones. The words are annoying but you can get a translator device that helps but don't bother talking to dudes to learn anything unless you got nothing better to do because you can find those knowledge stones and monoliths. One good thing to do is learn just 1 category of words like trade words because those will help you solving the manufacturing puzzles but you can AND should save scum if you fail.

Automating resource gathering to the point where you don't really mine anymore is kinda mid game, i'm at 80 hours and i've finally done it with 6 bases haha. I'm at the point where i'm overflowing with nanites and units just waiting for cool looking ships and finding more S class multitools.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I saw one of those tiny haulers with no wings and it was a loving A class but i held off and now i'm hating myself because it would be hilarious to have this tiny full upgraded hauler that was smaller than a fighter. I finally started doing those derelict freighter missions and gently caress do they start adding up, i'm 30m a mission now.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
What's a good price for Activated Indium? Have my first batch and best I've seen is selling it at -3.3%. (Probably not a big difference in the end, but it's my first one! :p)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kin posted:

the game is extremely overwhelming, yes, and the tutorials are not very good. fundamentally it is a survival / exploration game, with a lot of other stuff grafted onto it.

i would say start exploring the universe first, because that's the core gameplay route and actually you only get very, very marginally better at it. almost none of the tech you unlock over the course of the game will affect your ability to go from start to star or planet to planet, so if you want to do that, don't worry about setting up automation. that stuff really only matters if you want to get into serious base building or get a bunch of fighters (that you can only fly one of at a time).

yes, the game is extremely grindy and, frankly, tedious. walking around and shooting various kinds of rocks with various kinds of lasers is the secondary gameplay loop.

on the languages thing, you can unlock some suit upgrades that will automatically translate up to 6 words per person, but yeah, for the most part it's a one at a time grind from aliens and weird rocks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zet posted:

What's a good price for Activated Indium? Have my first batch and best I've seen is selling it at -3.3%. (Probably not a big difference in the end, but it's my first one! :p)

Unless you want to run all over or already scouted out places with a good price, -3% is fine. It's zero effort money.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

yes, the game is extremely grindy and, frankly, tedious. walking around and shooting various kinds of rocks with various kinds of lasers is the secondary gameplay loop.

More on this is that over time this part becomes less and less of an issue as you craft more upgrades and get more money. Like I havent bothered with crafting the launch thruster fuel for a long time now and I usually just keep a stock of the life support battery things that I just buy at the space station.

The tutorials are pretty terrible, just pick one thing to focus on at a time rather than trying to min/max your trips for quests. One thing to keep in mind is that basic things like "craft this new technology", or "build this new structure" gets thrown in your quest log and tends to clutter it up more than it really needs to.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ded posted:

Unless you want to run all over or already scouted out places with a good price, -3% is fine. It's zero effort money.

Finding a station that gives you a positive rate for it is pretty rare but they do exist. I keep a list of good ones and sell at those. The best price I have so far is +3.5% with a few in the +2% range, so that gives you an idea of how unlikely it is to get a really high rate for it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just grinded out enough storage upgrades and S rank modules to take a stock exotic ship to 48+21 and maxed out systems in a couple hours, ama

Tomorrow I'll have enough quicksilver to get a void egg. Do I take the dive, or do I keep using the q-bux to make myself prettier?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Just grinded out enough storage upgrades and S rank modules to take a stock exotic ship to 48+21 and maxed out systems in a couple hours, ama

Tomorrow I'll have enough quicksilver to get a void egg. Do I take the dive, or do I keep using the q-bux to make myself prettier?

i took the dive yesterday, and the answer to this question is the same as the answer to: do you really want to have to find specific locations using those numerical planetary coordinates, which you have never used before, in a game that does not have a compass?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well that sounds completely unpleasant.

On the other hand, rainbow jetpack trails exist. That seems more likely to create happiness.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zet posted:

That's insanely good. I think I saw a -1.5% once, but normally if I can get -5% it's a super good day.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Muscle Tracer posted:

i took the dive yesterday, and the answer to this question is the same as the answer to: do you really want to have to find specific locations using those numerical planetary coordinates, which you have never used before, in a game that does not have a compass?

There’s a display in your ship and your visor that show you the coordinates of where you’re at. It’s not the easiest thing to do but you do sort of have a compass to get you to where you need to go.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Thanks all for the ranges. I'm gonna sell 'em and keep an eye out whenever I'm at a market kiosk.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh wow piracy is really risk free haha, oh no sentinel ships that are far easier to avoid than their ground counterparts! I now go check the frigate recruits whenever a freighter warps in and see if there's anything i want on the freighter then just boost away. I was really let down that i didn't get the system vessels that attack pirates--why do you hate and fight the sentinels but also rely upon them to be the police?

I had a hilarious hiccup in the main story where you're supposed to go to multiple freighter crash sites to cobble together some logs but i found a crashed freighter right after i got the quest so all of it's cargo pods were the logs where the quest freighters would only have 1 cargo pod each haha. I now have weird encrypted freighter logs in my inventory that are only used for the main quest.....

Once you get a production line up and running money really becomes a non issue, i can make 600m a day with my fusion igniters and stasis chambers.

So does anyone know why artemis and helios aren't giving me nanites or talking to me? Or why i can't do any of the quicksilver missions in the nexus?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The living ship quest is kind of a pain, both because of the coordinates thing and because it has time gating so you can't do the whole quest in one session. You can see your coordinates from your ship, but only if you're low enough over the planet that your speed is capped very low, so it's a cycle of dipping down to get your bearings, drifting back up to the altitude where you can go fast but can't see coordinates, and repeating until you're close enough to land and then also walk for a bit because it's never precise. You will also need to install some tech in your multitool so make sure you have a slot free.

The living ship is not better than a maxed out S-class, but it's certainly unique, and you might find it more convenient to gather its fuels than a normal ship (no warp cell crafting, for one thing).

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Normal ships use... fuel? (its actually kind of impressive how long you can go without needing to recharge anything on a ship that has been totally maxed out, and I have literally never needed to use launch fuel again after installing the mod that recharges it)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Thundarr posted:

It's a pain in the butt. It's time gated. It's a lot of flying around to specific places. Once you get it in order to upgrade it you pray to RNG while flying around in space.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I need to test this but I will laugh very hard if the initial, non-capital S-rank freighter I lucked into could have been grinded up with bulkheads to match the S-rank venerator that I had to grind for.

e: I mean, the large-size venerator kicks rear end to see every time I summon it to loom over a planet so I can grab some carbon tubes out of it so it was worth, but still

e2: A B-rank, non-capital freighter maxes out at a paltry 35+7, so I low-key suspect even an S-rank would cap at 48+14 but I'd need to find one to be sure

e3: C is 25+7, A is 40+14

As a final followup to this, S rank normal freighters are 48+21, the same as S-rank capital ships. So yes, if you want an S-rank and don't care what the outside looks like, you can grind much faster and easier just pulsing around a T3 system and parking in hangers and checking with your visor until one shows up. The one I found has less base hyperdrive range than the capital ship but I'm not going to go looking for another one to confirm that's typical, ymmv

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Muscle Tracer posted:

the game is extremely overwhelming, yes, and the tutorials are not very good. fundamentally it is a survival / exploration game, with a lot of other stuff grafted onto it.

i would say start exploring the universe first, because that's the core gameplay route and actually you only get very, very marginally better at it. almost none of the tech you unlock over the course of the game will affect your ability to go from start to star or planet to planet, so if you want to do that, don't worry about setting up automation. that stuff really only matters if you want to get into serious base building or get a bunch of fighters (that you can only fly one of at a time).

on the languages thing, you can unlock some suit upgrades that will automatically translate up to 6 words per person, but yeah, for the most part it's a one at a time grind from aliens and weird rocks.

Cool, so chase after that guy first.

Is it possible to ever get "stuck" in a solar system if you run out of fuel?

I figured out you can easily get the components for whatever the fuel is that lets you dart around solar systems by blasting asteroids, but it's not so clear on the hyperdrive fuel side of things.

Also, what's the main way for cash and nanites at my stage and what are the essentially good for? I guess the "loop" is something i'm still trying to figure out because i've been railroaded to this point so far with just a few glimpses into things, while the stuff i've built as part of the tutorial is now strewn over a couple of different solar systems.

edit: Like, suit and shop storage. I'm already running out of space, should i just be selling everything and farming from scratch on each planet or is there a way to increase this capacity and should I make that the initial priority with cash that i make?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There's no way to get stuck, even if you used the last of your fuel jumping to a system that had no ingredients to make more you could always just take the space station or anomaly portal back to somewhere that did.

I got my first wad of cash by running around an extreme hazard planet and picking up storm crystals, you need to either have a lot of ship launch fuel or the mech exocraft to really rack it up but you can make a few million easily that way. Enough to pay for a lot of suit inventory. Then find a planet with rusted metal hotspots, so you can mine that and convert it to a ton of ferrite, and then you have the ferrite you need to build a big mining operation for activated indium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i started the submarine quest and it really expected me to drive that thing 30 real time minutes to a crashed freighter on a planet with almost no land and during a quest that doesn't let you summon your ship. also not being able to look up while you're in water, even if you're only knee deep in it, is extremely dumb. i just reloaded a save gently caress that poo poo.